• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Wanna try to make it to this one. Had a date during the last meetup unfortunately. The 31st is too far away for me to make any definite plans though... should probably know a few days before.

bob page

Anything going on tonight? I'm currently putzing around downtown for a few hours ( waiting on the gf, don't feel like going back to BK) and I'm not sure what to do.

Jhoan

Anything going on tonight? I'm currently putzing around downtown for a few hours ( waiting on the gf, don't feel like going back to BK) and I'm not sure what to do.
I dunno what to tell you. It's relatively cold to do anything. Go goof off in front of the Earth Cam and make a thread about it I suppose.

I'm currently discovering the grandness that is Grand Central
Terminal because I have nothing better to do. The architecture's gorgeous. I'm about to be out home though. I hate the weekends. :(

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, I love this place. I had no idea the beer was so cheap, too ($3 Sapporo, Blue Moon).
Hah well that definitely depends where you go. Korea town has it's share of typical Manhattan price gouging as well.

The last time I was in Korea town I went to some kind of super swanky secret Korean speak easy up in a random office building. I was too drunk to remember where it was actually. Maybe that was the point...

Wow, what an amazing OT! Will definitely be making use of it.

That said, while I will be looking at those hotel links, 4 friends and I will be hanging out in NYC after a competition in NJ. While our costs are covered in NJ, we're on our own in NYC for two days (as per our request).

Any recommendations on cheap, clean places to stay?

Donos

Williamsburg. And you're basically going to look for the Koncrete Jungle party at the Cove; Drum n bass isn't big enough in NY for a club full of it. Keep an eye out for parties at Sullivan Room also.

What genres are you interested in?

Thanks for the nice suggestions. Hope we can catch a good event when we are there.

Maybe there's a Natural Selection Event going on at that time. The last two times were at the Public Assembly Loft in Brooklyn, which isn't really far from our appartment. Just 2 miles.

We are not fixed on a genre. House/Dance/Techno etc. Just not to minimal/experimental/trance. We still would favor DNB though :)

Welp, finally made to the city a few days ago and decided maybe I'll go out this evening. Made a 'roadmap' of places and things to do using the info found in this thread. Going solo. See what happens.

Edit: Never bothered. It was cold. And I was feeling lazy.

Mahonay

Banned
So this is only a couple weeks away now. Are people still interested in getting together in Williamsburg on the 31st?

If so another thread should probably be started for that.

Davidion

Thanks for the nice suggestions. Hope we can catch a good event when we are there.

Maybe there's a Natural Selection Event going on at that time. The last two times were at the Public Assembly Loft in Brooklyn, which isn't really far from our appartment. Just 2 miles.

We are not fixed on a genre. House/Dance/Techno etc. Just not to minimal/experimental/trance. We still would favor DNB though :)

Just hit

http://www.methodsnyc.com/metblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wodnbback.jpg

Mully

Not yet. Seems like we're still trying to iron out the plans for the March 31st meet-up.

I would love to meetup but the 31st might be tricky. Hopefully I'll make it.

So what exactly is the plan for the 31st? I'll have to weigh my decision based partly on that.

31st I can do not the 30th but St.Pattys day meet up?

Thread is up. Have a look at the plan.

bob page

The perils of warm weather: insane Shake Shack lines:

media

Here's some pics I took last week from the Cloisters:

media
media
media

Mahonay

Banned
I work two blocks away from that Shake Shack. When I was staring in the shipping department here I used to have to wait in the longest god damn lines ever for client food runs.

Fuck you Shake Shack.

Mully

I work two blocks away from that Shake Shack. When I was staring in the shipping department here I used to have to wait in the longest god damn lines ever for client food runs.

Fuck you Shake Shack.

Sucks your co-workers weren't down for a quesedilla from the food stands across from Madison Square Park.

thirty

Banned
anyone care to give me a run down of some cheap eats?

I also did the tourist spots like landmarks and museums on my last trip so I'm looking to do some other things this time. I did enjoy a bike ride around the island so i'll plan to do that again.

Jhoan

So I got scammed by a Metro card seller yesterday at the 181st and Ft. Washington station. It doesn't help that this station doesn't have a booth any more; it got removed last year. He sold me a card that had supposedly had $6.20 in it for six bucks, and swiped me in for free. Several hours later, I'm wondering why it doesn't work and go to the clerk to have him test it out. It turned out the card had zero dollars on it.

Ever since the MTA removed the booth, the station's been plagued with Metro card sellers. It doesn't help that most of the time the machines, don't take cash (the scammers' doing). So I have to resort to either walking down to the 175th street station if I have cash only or using my debit card. I find these guys incredibly annoying. I would like to get rid of these idiots Who should report this to? My local councilman, the MTA, or the local precinct?

So I got scammed by a Metro card seller yesterday at the 181st and Ft. Washington station. It doesn't help that this station doesn't have a booth any more; it got removed last year. He sold me a card that had supposedly had $6.20 in it for six bucks, and swiped me in for free. Several hours later, I'm wondering why it doesn't work and go to the clerk to have him test it out. It turned out the card had zero dollars on it.

Ever since the MTA removed the booth, the station's been plagued with Metro card sellers. It doesn't help that most of the time the machines, don't take cash (the scammers' doing). So I have to resort to either walking down to the 175th street station if I have cash only or using my debit card. I find these guys incredibly annoying. I would like to get rid of these idiots Who should report this to? My local councilman, the MTA, or the local precinct?

Never do that unless they actually show you how much is on the card by using the swipe machine that shows you the balance on the card. Otherwise there are machines all over the place so it makes buying one from these scammers pretty pointless.

People that hang around the subways are really shady and scummy. Just ignore them.

Mahonay

Banned

That is super shitty. I would say report it to the local council to try and see what they can do about getting working machines and someone to stop them from sabotaging them. The MTA is just going to give you the middle finger if you go to them directly.

Don't say anything about buying from the scammer though. It's illegal to buy them from someone just selling them on their own. I wouldn't report it for your own sake. Also in the future you should save yourself the trouble and just don't even consider that as an option. Just too sketchy.

I'm lucky enough that I need an unlimited card so I never have to stop at a ticket kiosk. I pay for it through work and they just give me mine when it comes in.

jasonng

Sucks to hear, Jipan. My life is dependent on an unlimited metrocard as well which blows because I don't have a choice but to reluctantly follow all fare hikes.

Mahonay

Banned
Sucks to hear, Jipan. My life is dependent on an unlimited metrocard as well which blows because I don't have a choice but to reluctantly follow all fare hikes.
:( Yeah the fare hikes are the worst. $100 bucks a month for subway costs is brutal. At least it's still cheaper for me than not getting an unlimited.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Heading there on the 30th, any tips on what I should bring to wear? What's the weather currently like and all. I'm thinking jeans, t-shirt and a jacket. Some of the guides online don't give me much

Mahonay

Banned
Heading there on the 30th, any tips on what I should bring to wear? What's the weather currently like and all. I'm thinking jeans, t-shirt and a jacket. Some of the guides online don't give me much
That actually sounds perfect. Right now we're having unseasonable warm weather (70's-60s). Those temperatures aren't normal though, it will likely cool back down. At night it gets down into the 40's. So definitely bring at least a jacket.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
That actually sounds perfect. Right now we're having unseasonable warm weather (70's-60s). Those temperatures aren't normal though, it will likely cool back down. At night it gets down into the 40's. So definitely bring at least a jacket.

Awesome! So it's true a lot of the restaurants and cafes don't take plastic too?

Mahonay

Banned
Awesome! So it's true a lot of the restaurants and cafes don't take plastic too?
Definitely. I would say there are more places that take cards than don't but you will run into your fair share of cash only establishments. Bring plenty of cash with you or just hit up an ATM, they're everywhere. Although there's usually a $1.50-$3 charge at most machines if it's not your bank.

Jhoan

It was a stupid, stupid move. I'm still face palming myself for it. Even my brothers told me I should never do it. I've always ignored them. I'll definitely go pay a visit to my councilman's office soon.

I had to buy an unlimited; normally I don't buy one unless I go to school at least 3 days a week and go out a lot in the weekends to get the most out of it. Otherwise, it's not a jusified purchase for me.

bob page

I've heard 5 napkin is pretty good and obviously shake shack. Where else would you recommend?

I actually went to 5 Napkin for hr first time the other day- it was really good but not amazing (and definitely pricey for what it is). I'm still a huge fan of Shake Shack and Bareburger.

Also, as of today, the new World Trade tower is the tallest building in NYC!

Top Bottom