• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

bob page

It's a 30 min walk from my place, but Graham Meats & Deli in Williamsburg has, consistently, the best sandwiches in the borough.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/graham-avenue-meats-and-deli-brooklyn

e5b8c856753511e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Posting this here:

So, the fiancee and I are talking about moving to NYC in about 8-12 months.

This may not be the exact thread for this, but I want to ask here because y'all are generally helpful.

we are thinking about Hell's Kitchen around 9th/10th avenue and 54th street.

Two main questions.

1) Is this a reasonably quiet part of town? I know it's near Columbus circle which is a little crazy, but I think it's far enough away, and it's pretty far away from Times Square. We want to be near the park and Columbus circle so that we can go there regularly (Whole Foods!, Per Se!), but not so close that it feels like we are in the middle of it.

2) Food recomendations. I know that it's near some amazing food (Per Se, Masa, etc) but wanted to know if there are any good bars and "every day" food recomendations in that part of town. We would want a couple of good bars (a nice pub for beer, some pre-prohibition style cocktail bar would be great too), and just kind of decent food you could expect to eat on a normal weeknight. 10-20 dollars a person, etc. Preferably within walking distance.

The fiancee is a pescatarian, so places with veggie or fish options would be great, lighter fare as well (i.e. not "chinese" food consisting of Candied meat). Sushi would be awesome, but I know it's rare to find an "affordable" sushi place.

Her Aunt lived on the Upper West Side around 87th street a block off of the park, so we want to be reasonably close to her but in a newer high rise (my fiancee has lived in brooklyn twice and wants nothing to do with a walkup)

Thanks guys!

bob page

Posting this here:

This may not be the exact thread for this, but I want to ask here because y'all are generally helpful.

Two main questions.

1) Is this a reasonably quiet part of town? I know it's near Columbus circle which is a little crazy, but I think it's far enough away, and it's pretty far away from Times Square. We want to be near the park and Columbus circle so that we can go there regularly (Whole Foods!, Per Se!), but not so close that it feels like we are in the middle of it.

2) Food recomendations. I know that it's near some amazing food (Per Se, Masa, etc) but wanted to know if there are any good bars and "every day" food recomendations in that part of town. We would want a couple of good bars (a nice pub for beer, some pre-prohibition style cocktail bar would be great too), and just kind of decent food you could expect to eat on a normal weeknight. 10-20 dollars a person, etc. Preferably within walking distance.

The fiancee is a pescatarian, so places with veggie or fish options would be great, lighter fare as well (i.e. not "chinese" food consisting of Candied meat). Sushi would be awesome, but I know it's rare to find an "affordable" sushi place.

Her Aunt lived on the Upper West Side around 87th street a block off of the park, so we want to be reasonably close to her but in a newer high rise (my fiancee has lived in brooklyn twice and wants nothing to do with a walkup)

Thanks guys!

That area is pretty awesome for night life and food, so expect to pay a pretty penny (especially if you're talking about one of the newer buildings). It's definitely a prime location being so close to the park, too. I haven't noticed the noise levels being different than anywhere else in Manhattan, though.

Hell's Kitchen has tons of great Thai food and Italian, and there are pretty much dozens of places in the $10-20 range on each block. Pony Bar is over there and is one of the more highly-regarded everyday bars in the area.

Anyone with some good suggestions of bars in Manhattan to watch tomorrows Barcelona V Milan Champions League game?

Asked in the soccer thread ti not much luck, Top of my list so far, albeit from a Google search, is a bar called Murphy & Gonzalez near Washington Square.

Kccitystar

Some friends of mine are DJing tonight downtown at UC Lounge down by Essex. For a $5 cover fee you can party on down to some funky disco house grooves from 10 to 4AM. It's gonna be a fun time. ;)

I'll be visiting NY for the first time in a couple of days.
I'd like to go to a stand up comedy club. Any recommendations?

(Also, why are Rangers tickets so expensive? :( )

Posting this here:

Two main questions.

Thanks guys!

I actually just moved out of Hells Kitchen to Central Park West and it's a much better area. Quiet better restaurants and best of all no tourists crowding the streets. When I lived in Hells Kitchen I lived on the PH on the top of a 53 story building and heard all the noise from times sq. The area is pretty grimy and it never really felt that I was living in NYC.

bob page

Anyone have any experience with the Fort Greene / Clinton Hill / Bedford area? I just found a really great listing that's kind of in between all those but want to make sure it's safe and such. The building is brand new and the block looks nice on the map but not sure about the surroundings (it's near Pratt).

I figured this is a good place to ask. Can anyone tell me about this neighborhood...

1365 Fulton St. Brooklyn

It's in Bedford-Stuyvesant and even as a tourist I know that has a rep for not being a good neighborhood. But I find conflicting info online. Some people say the reputation is for the way the neighborhood used to be and some say it's still pretty bad.

I'm going to new york for 4 days and I won't really be staying there much. Just to sleep and then catch a taxi/metro to head out in the morning. But I will probably be coming back late at night and I will be with my wife.

bob page

I figured this is a good place to ask. Can anyone tell me about this neighborhood...

1365 Fulton St. Brooklyn

It's in Bedford-Stuyvesant and even as a tourist I know that has a rep for not being a good neighborhood. But I find conflicting info online. Some people say the reputation is for the way the neighborhood used to be and some say it's still pretty bad.

I'm going to new york for 4 days and I won't really be staying there much. Just to sleep and then catch a taxi/metro to head out in the morning. But I will probably be coming back late at night and I will be with my wife.

The area has gotten a lot better over the past 5 years from what I've heard, but it's still not a place you want to get lost in or venture out in night. Seems like that address is close enough to the subway where I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

http://spotcrime.com/#1365 Fulton St, Brooklyn

(near the center is Bed Stuy)

FYI3P.jpg

1365 Fulton St. Brooklyn

It's far enough west that it's not bad. Eastern Brooklyn is the bad section (East New York, East Bushwick, and East Bed-Stuy). I mean, that area is still relatively low-income but you're right next to Downtown Brooklyn, Prospect Park, and Park Slope. It's perfectly safe to stay in and actually in a rather convenient location as far as subway access goes (easy access to the A is fantastic if you're a tourist)

Donos

1365 Fulton St. Brooklyn

staying 8 days with my gf near your place (Putnam Ave) but the stuff i read was that it was a "bad neighborhood" but is not anymore. Let's see. We're going to rather use the metro instead of taxi.

Edit: There was a shoting 2011 at the exact adresse we are going to stay (°~°) (spotcrime)

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess if that's the place we stay then we'll make sure not to do any needless wandering late at night or something.

Zilch

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the Fort Greene / Clinton Hill / Bedford area? I just found a really great listing that's kind of in between all those but want to make sure it's safe and such. The building is brand new and the block looks nice on the map but not sure about the surroundings (it's near Pratt).

Love the area; would move back in an instant. Don't you currently live in Bushwick near Flushing Ave? Definitely a step up IMO.

bob page

Love the area; would move back in an instant. Don't you currently live in Bushwick near Flushing Ave? Definitely a step up IMO.

Yup- "East Williamsburg" near Graham & Broadway. The area is worse than I was expecting when I moved in last year so I'm peacing out.

I actually have a few viewings today in Park Slope prime (a few blocks from the park) so hopefully those go well. I was going to see a place in Fort Greene yesterday but it was a bit too close to the projects on the north side of FG park.

Jhoan

The Alamo Drafthouse is coming to NYC in 2013!

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/alamo_drafthouse_goes_to_new_york

Broadway and 100th, by old Metro theater.

Ahh yes, the famous Alamo Drafthouse. I heard that it was coming to NY, I just didn't know when. I'll be passing along the employment opportunity to my brother and friends.

I'm pretty excited that's it's coming. After reading so many stories of how it works, and controversy between customers and the employees, including EviLore's personal experience, I'm sold. I'm ready to raise up my red flag and kick some poor sap out for texting. Like I said in another thread, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more cash than the Loews Theatres for better customer service and more respect to the movie watching experience.

I know this is bound to attract the nearby Columbia University students for sure as well as the young professional crowd.

bob page

Hanco's in Park Slope is a god damn religious experience. Best banh mi in the city. It's about $2 more than those in Chinatown but it's so much better.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ahh yes, the famous Alamo Drafthouse. I heard that it was coming to NY, I just didn't know when. I'll be passing along the employment opportunity to my brother and friends.

I'm pretty excited that's it's coming. After reading so many stories of how it works, and controversy between customers and the employees, including EviLore's personal experience, I'm sold. I'm ready to raise up my red flag and kick some poor sap out for texting. Like I said in another thread, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more cash than the Loews Theatres for better customer service and more respect to the movie watching experience.

I know this is bound to attract the nearby Columbia University students for sure as well as the young professional crowd.

as an Austinite, Alamo lost its way a few years ago. There was a hostileish takeover and it feels like a giant franchise now. The beer selection has fallen off, so has the food.

And as they keep building more and more locations they are feeling less and less special, including their special screenings aren't as creative as back when they had 2-3 locations.

It's still better than a regular theatre, and I'm excited since I'm planning on moving to NYC but its not what it was.

legend166

Hey guys, do you think it's worth maybe spending one day out of seven in NYC renting a car and driving out to places outside of the city? Is there anything worth doing that for?

Stasis

Hey guys, do you think it's worth maybe spending one day out of seven in NYC renting a car and driving out to places outside of the city? Is there anything worth doing that for?

What are you looking for, activity wise?

When I visit my father in NYC, I always take a drive out to Bucks County, PA to visit my mother as well. It's a really charming little country-ish area about 1.5 hours out. Have lunch/dinner at one of the waterside terraces in New Hope/Lambertville especially if you're with a loved one and the weather is nice.

Patriots7

Any tipis on where to start looking for apartments in NYC?
I hear the only way to bypass the exorbitant broker fees are through talking to property owners directly...but not exactly sure how to even start to do that. Craigslist postings reek of scams every time I peruse them.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
When is this real next meet up? Last date I heard was the 28th which was next Saturday it is cool by me if it is does anyone wanna get food before hand.

Jhoan

When is this real next meet up? Last date I heard was the 28th which was next Saturday it is cool by me if it is does anyone wanna get food before hand.

Yeah, next Saturday. Number47 said you're going to be the host for this month's meeting; he's going to host next month's meet up instead because he's busy. I'm sure there's plenty of people that want to get food so that wouldn't be a problem. You might wanna launch the thread soon. If you need help, kccitystar will hook you up with an updated banner and any other banners.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yeah, next Saturday. Number47 said you're going to be the host for this month's meeting; he's going to host next month's meet up instead because he's busy. I'm sure there's plenty of people that want to get food so that wouldn't be a problem. You might wanna launch the thread soon. If you need help, kccitystar will hook you up with an updated banner and any other banners.

I will launch the thread tonight and I will pm him to hook me up with a banner. Chances are I am thinking The Gaf to start it out. If anything I will take any ideas on places to check out. Just want a bunch of people.

Donos

Hmm, we are going to arrive at the 28th in NYC (from germany). Maybe we'll come along but i think the jetlag will get to us. Let's see.

Zilch

Banned
I sometimes hike over to the small Terakawa outpost on 9th ave between 57th and 58th for lunchtime ramen, or Sapporo on 49th street between 6th and 7th. Nothing spectacular, though.

edit: I have heard that Totto is great but they don't do takeout so I've never gone there during work.

Magni

Any software engineers here? I'm looking to become part of NYC-GAF (trying to get closer to my girlfriend who goes to college on Wagner College) and since I have eight months to do a software engineering internship this summer, I'm sending my resume all over the place haha.

I feel like I've done hundreds of these applications already, but maybe there's an awesome company I missed..

bob page

Any software engineers here? I'm looking to become part of NYC-GAF (trying to get closer to my girlfriend who goes to college on Wagner College) and since I have eight months to do a software engineering internship this summer, I'm sending my resume all over the place haha.

I feel like I've done hundreds of these applications already, but maybe there's an awesome company I missed..
What kind of experience are you looking for? I work for one of the Big 4 and we have an expansive IT consulting service line (mix between development and business). PM me with your resume and info if you want me to pass it along.

Davidion

Have you networked within the startup community? The startup scene here is devouring programmers and software engineers.

Find the NYC Tech meet-up on meetup.com and start from there.

Magni

What kind of experience are you looking for? I work for one of the Big 4 and we have an expansive IT consulting service line (mix between development and business). PM me with your resume and info if you want me to pass it along.

Oh wow, that's really nice of you! That'd be awesome. I'm looking for just about anything where I get to work on real code for eight months and earn just enough to make it financially viable for me, somewhere where I can actually have an impact, however small, while at the same time learning a lot.

I'm more interested in computer software/phone applications than web programming, but then again that's because I haven't done much web programming, who knows, maybe I'll love it! In terms of industry, I'm looking at pretty much everything. I'm most interested in companies that actually do software as their main business, but I've also applied to ad agencies, companies in the financial sector, to the media, etc. I am very open minded about what I want to do since I haven't done a lot yet -- I don't know what I don't like yet, if that makes sense.

I'll PM you my resume, thanks a ton!

Have you networked within the startup community? The startup scene here is devouring programmers and software engineers.

Find the NYC Tech meet-up on meetup.com and start from there.

I've been looking at a ton of startups, the scene is giant, I feel like I'm discovering ten new companies every day haha. I don't want to do anything too small (like less than 10 people), but I must admit I'm more tempted by smaller companies (<200) than the giants (this popped up in my FB feed recently, describes exactly what I feel).

My biggest problem is that I'm currently across the Atlantic, so it's tough to actually meet people. I have a friend at UPenn who will start working at NYC this September, and he's given me some very useful links/contacts, but it's not the same as being there myself of course.

Thanks for the answers guys! :)

Donos

Central Park is really nice. Awesome place.
We walked all day through almost all off manhattan.Still alot to see.

Top Bottom