• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

bob page

Central Park is really nice. Awesome place.
We walked all day through almost all off manhattan.Still alot to see.

It's definitely nice this time of year (actually, it is year-round). It's too bad you missed everything blooming a few weeks ago, though.

Be sure to check out the High Line.

Seth C

New York! I will be in Manhattan from about May 18 to May 30. We need to have an event. I will be heading to Los Angeles directly after, and I want to see which GAF is best GAF.

beat

Tips for a rainy NYC day besides museums and shopping ?
- Go to the library. There are some great branches for reading books, or go to the NYPL's main branch for architecture appreciation, a sort of mini-museum experience, and just hang out in the reading room.

- take pictures, if you're so inclined. NYC is photogenic when it's raining too.

- take in a show.

- eat at a nice restaurant.

- go around the subway system and listen to (and pay) the buskers.

- ride up and down the flagship Apple store's glass elevator until they make you stop.

Zabka

Tips for a rainy NYC day besides museums and shopping ?

Go see The Raid with an authentic Manhattan movie audience!

In my showing there was a person who laughed like a donkey, a person who farted during a silent dramatic scene (assumed to be the first guy), lots of cheering at stabbings, and two people discussing character motivation for the last 10 minutes of the movie.

Sliver

In my showing there was a person who laughed like a donkey, a person who farted during a silent dramatic scene (assumed to be the first guy), lots of cheering at stabbings, and two people discussing character motivation for the last 10 minutes of the movie.

Hahaha that was pretty much my experience when I saw it in NY as well. It was awesome and much better than having a silent audience.

Jhoan

New York! I will be in Manhattan from about May 18 to May 30. We need to have an event. I will be heading to Los Angeles directly after, and I want to see which GAF is best GAF.

Your wish shall be granted! I'm making sure of that; I'm in the process of making the May thread thus taking over this month's thread. We'll make sure to show you that NYC GAF is the best GAF. However, number47 is still going to steer the ship; I'm facilitating the thread and making the banners (which I hope will get used in future GAF meet up threads).

I'll post the thread link up as soon as I launch it. Expect it to be up in about an hour or so while I work on adding the bells and whistles.

On topic: I went took a walk through Central Park yesterday because it was a nice day. All I have to say oh my God! I saw so many women jogging; it was quite the sight as well as lots of people in pairs and groups.

Any way, I went to chill by the pond
by myself. Forever alone and all that.
I'd never been to the pond area with the fountain; it's such a nice spot and it's relaxing to boot. It's a nice area to take a chick to on a date and have a small picnic as one watches the ducks glide through the bond.

I took a few pics, so as soon as I find my USB cable I'll upload them. Saw an exercise class, a raccoon (which I thought was a cat), a group of chicks being taken for a ride on a boat and a professional photography class taking pictures of the area underneath the stairs where musicians play at. It was surreal being in that spot because there's a mission in GTA IV that ends with a crash/shootout in that area.

Your wish shall be granted! I'm making sure of that; I'm in the process of making the May thread thus taking over this month's thread. We'll make sure to show you that NYC GAF is the best GAF. However, number47 is still going to steer the ship; I'm facilitating the thread and making the banners (which I hope will get used in future GAF meet up threads).

I'll post the thread link up as soon as I launch it. Expect it to be up in about an hour or so while I work on adding the bells and whistles.

On topic: I went took a walk through Central Park yesterday because it was a nice day. All I have to say oh my God! I saw so many women jogging; it was quite the sight as well as lots of people in pairs and groups.

Any way, I went to chill by the pond
by myself. Forever alone and all that.
I'd never been to the pond area with the fountain; it's such a nice spot and it's relaxing to boot. It's a nice area to take a chick to on a date and have a small picnic as one watches the ducks glide through the bond.

I took a few pics, so as soon as I find my USB cable I'll upload them. Saw an exercise class, a raccoon (which I thought was a cat), a group of chicks being taken for a ride on a boat and a professional photography class taking pictures of the area underneath the stairs where musicians play at. It was surreal being in that spot because there's a mission in GTA IV that ends which a crash/shootout in that area.
for some reason every time i'm in central park i want to play gta iv

oh god i saw it on opening day at the theaters by union square it was the most bloodthirsty crowd i've ever seen in my life god bless america

-PXG-

So when are we doing another one fellas. It's about that time again...

I'd be down for May 19th, since 1) that's the day after I get paid and 2) it's after Mother's Day (yes, I actually give a shit about my mom)

Plus, it's better to plan it earlier, so that more folks will get the heads and up will be more likely to actually show up.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So when are we doing another one fellas. It's about that time again...

I'd be down for May 19th, since 1) that's the day after I get paid and 2) it's after Mother's Day (yes, I actually give a shit about my mom)

Plus, it's better to plan it earlier, so that more folks will get the heads and up will be more likely to actually show up.

May 19th I can't do. If I do it will not be until late at night.

My fiance and I were looking for apartments today and ended up getting a crazy deal. Lexington Ave between 45th and 46th. Right in midtown which I wasn't sure I wanted, but super close walk to both of our workplaces and a seriously huge place. Just over $2,000/mo. Couldn't believe it. Pics here - http://imgur.com/a/KGglR

Anyone live around there and have some recommended places? Looking for the basics (grocery, laundry) but also anything else around that we should know of. It's a block away from Grand Central, for reference.

Jhoan

It's either going to be on May 19th or May 26th. I'm leaning towards the latter because I'll be done with finals by the 23rd unless a mandatory fraternity event pops up that I have to go to in the weekend; I'll find out as soon as possible.

Otherwise, May 26 would be good; the GAF meet up would be a nice way to celebrate the end of the semester for those of us in college. I'm not going to put a date until it gets decided. We still have another week or so to decide on a definite date that works for everyone.

SethC, if you want to, you could hangout with people before/after the meet up date for anyone who's able to without it having to be a GAF meet up. Just post in the NYC thread or make a thread if you have to but specify a mini-meet up. I would call it a GAF hangout because they're smaller. There's plenty of Gaffers that have hung out outside of meet ups without having to make a thread.

I'm still working on the May thread so it's gonna be a little while before I'm satisfied with it and launch it.

cryptic

Hey, I'm near poughkeepsie at CIA in Hyde Park, anyway I can get in on this meet-up? I don't have a car unfortunately...

Ovid

My fiance and I were looking for apartments today and ended up getting a crazy deal. Lexington Ave between 45th and 46th. Right in midtown which I wasn't sure I wanted, but super close walk to both of our workplaces and a seriously huge place. Just over $2,000/mo. Couldn't believe it. Pics here - http://imgur.com/a/KGglR

Anyone live around there and have some recommended places? Looking for the basics (grocery, laundry) but also anything else around that we should know of. It's a block away from Grand Central, for reference.
Such an outrageous price for such a small space. I hate NY for that but that's supply and demand for ya.

Jhoan

Don't forget to make an official thread for the hangout, I'm good for anything after the 23rd except Monday's and Wednesday's.

It's in progress. I'm making an extremely good l OT l style thread. I've been at it for most of the day so it's taking longer than I expected. I'm not gonna go to sleep until I launch it. I figured you would be down for the 26th as well; that's good.

EDIT: The NYC GAF Meet up Thread#3 has been launched and is open for business.

Jhoan

for some reason every time i'm in central park i want to play gta iv
Haha, that's funny. Every time I think about Queens, I want to play GTA IV, but now that you mention it, I do feel like popping GTA IV to see the difference between the real area and GTA IV's version of it. The difference is that the real Central Park is a lot more peaceful, people don't carry newspapers and paper bags, and people walk with dogs.

It's a nice place even though it is pretty tiny. When the toilet is right next to the shower, it's definitely a small apartment. You have Latin Quarters two blocks up, tons of restaurants and bars along the whole Lexington Ave. strip. I walk through there almost every few days so I know the area pretty well. $2,000 is a bit pricey but then again it's the East Side; it's going to be expensive just because of the area alone. And since you have access to most of the major trains, it should be a breeze for you to get to most places.

Unfortunately, I don't live in that area, so I dunno of any specific places such as grocery stores and whatnot. I suppose you could go to Trader Joe's down by Union Square for groceries.

Hey, I'm near poughkeepsie at CIA in Hyde Park, anyway I can get in on this meet-up? I don't have a car unfortunately...

I don't know how the Upstate areas work, but I suppose you could take a train into the city. A couple of Gaffers that live outside the city have done that; they just had to leave their way early so that they could get to the city at a decent time. Tashi01 knows a lot more about that than I do since he's been to GAF meet ups and he lives upstate.

Again, I want to remind everyone that the NYC GAF May Meet Up thread is up and running. Any discussion and concerns pertaining to the meet up should continue there.

bob page

You guys are seriously saying that apartment is pricey? Christ, that's pretty much a steal for that neighborhood, especially considering the unit's condition.

Expendable- where'd you find that listing? Did you go through a broker? My lease fell through since the dude decided not to move so I'm back in the hunt for a new place.

Ace 8095

I'm traveling to NYC for the first time for a job interview next week. I've never lived in a city so I don't really understand how to handle looking for a place to live. I'd like to have a rough idea before I interview so if the question comes up I'll be able to discuss it somewhat intelligently. Any reading suggestions?

It's a nice place even though it is pretty tiny. When the toilet is right next to the shower, it's definitely a small apartment. You have Latin Quarters two blocks up, tons of restaurants and bars along the whole Lexington Ave. strip. I walk through there almost every few days so I know the area pretty well. $2,000 is a bit pricey but then again it's the East Side; it's going to be expensive just because of the area alone. And since you have access to most of the major trains, it should be a breeze for you to get to most places.

Tiny? Damn dude, we went looking at TONS of apartments and this was by faaaaar the most spacious. And I haven't seen anything even remotely close to a one bedroom this big for 2k a month in central midtown.

You guys are seriously saying that apartment is pricey? Christ, that's pretty much a steal for that neighborhood, especially considering the unit's condition.

Expendable- where'd you find that listing? Did you go through a broker? My lease fell through since the dude decided not to move so I'm back in the hunt for a new place.

We went through this place -> http://alphanyc.com/

Broker fee is 12%, but they were super helpful and got us such a great apartment.

Donos

I'm traveling to NYC for the first time for a job interview next week. I've never lived in a city so I don't really understand how to handle looking for a place to live. I'd like to have a rough idea before I interview so if the question comes up I'll be able to discuss it somewhat intelligently. Any reading suggestions?

NYC is a beast to start if you didn't live in a city before. I live in Germany's biggest city but NYC was something else. Good luck nevertheless.

That's a great fucking deal bro, you're at a stones throw from major transpo hubs which means you can get to pretty much anywhere in the city, very easily.

Congrats, place looks great.

Davidion

Good deal, snag it.

No go on the groceries and laundry but uh, if you need some restaurant recommendations, let us know. hahaha

cryptic

Haha, that's funny. Every time I think about Queens, I want to play GTA IV, but now that you mention it, I do feel like popping GTA IV to see the difference between the real area and GTA IV's version of it. The difference is that the real Central Park is a lot more peaceful, people don't carry newspapers and paper bags, and people walk with dogs.

Unfortunately, I don't live in that area, so I dunno of any specific places such as grocery stores and whatnot. I suppose you could go to Trader Joe's down by Union Square for groceries.

I don't know how the Upstate areas work, but I suppose you could take a train into the city. A couple of Gaffers that live outside the city have done that; they just had to leave their way early so that they could get to the city at a decent time. Tashi01 knows a lot more about that than I do since he's been to GAF meet ups and he lives upstate.

Again, I want to remind everyone that the NYC GAF May Meet Up thread is up and running. Any discussion and concerns pertaining to the meet up should continue there.

Yeah. I guess that's what I'll do but it's $60.00 back and forth so that kind of stunts me.
EDIT: Actually not so bad I can make Penn station by 10:35. Anyone have a place I could stay the weekend at? for free...unemployed gaffer

Donos

Vinnie's Pizzeria in Williamsburg has a cool banner in store. Asked the guy behind the counter and he said that that's the original one from the LOST Dharma Camp set. He has a friend who worked at the set in Hawai and they left it there after they finished filming so he snagged it and shipped it for 50$ to NY.
I guess Some LOST fanatics would probably pay good money for this one ebay.

CC8sI.jpg

Here's the scene from LOST (sorry for crappy pic)
h5pn8.jpg

I think you still have plenty of time, but what happened?

There was another broker on it that had people that ALSO put down a deposite and my broker didn't know. They got it. So irritating. Looked at four apartments today, four tomorrow. Hopefully will have something soon.

bob page

Ended up getting a bit of a smaller place on 36th and 3rd avenue. Pretty happy! Anyone live close?

Nice, how much was the rent?

I also just signed on a place this past weekend in Park Slope. Excited to move in about a month.

What is the summer stage schedule looking like? It's fun to picnic it up outside the stadium with a good soundtrack in the background.
Not sure about the one in Central Park but I know Celebrate Brooklyn has Wilco, Sigur Rós, Childish Gambino, Hot Chip and a few others for their paid shows this summer.

Edit: Looks like all the good ones at Central Park (Foster the People, Tokyo Police Club, Kimbra, Childish Gamino, M83) are all sold out.

Jhoan

How does everyone feel about June 1st or 2nd for the Central Park picnic/meetup? Let's make this one big.

You do know there's a GAF meet up happening this month right? As well as a thread that's up? [/thread promotion]

Any way, nice place; it looks like a nice neighborhood. I went back to Central Park last Friday and walked through the resevoir as well as through this are where there was a lonely bench in between two trees. Central Park would be a nice place for the next meet up.

bob page

You do know there's a GAF meet up happening this month right? As well as a thread that's up? [/thread promotion]

Any way, nice place; it looks like a nice neighborhood. I went back to Central Park last Friday and walked through the resevoir as well as through this are where there was a lonely bench in between two trees. Central Park would be a nice place for the next meet up.

Just now saw it- here's the link for the others:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473006

Seth C

I'm in the city until the 29th. Staying in the theater district, just north of Hell's Kitchen. If anyone wants to grab a beer or something just hit me up. I'll be at the meetup also, of course.

Mahonay

Banned
Going to be at the Whiskey Brooklyn in Williamsburg Saturday night with a friend from another gaming community who's in town from Florida.

number47

Going to be at the Whiskey Brooklyn in Williamsburg Saturday night with a friend from another gaming community who's in town from Florida.

whiskey brooklyn? not insulting you,but how old are you? the music selection destroys my ears. but at least the drinks come in tall glasses.

Mahonay

Banned
whiskey brooklyn? not insulting you,but how old are you? the music selection destroys my ears. but at least the drinks come in tall glasses.
Friend was in town and was staying near there. He isn't exactly a hipster, figure he'd like the place. Had a nice time and $4 for a house brew pint isn't bad.

Music is just random, not necessarily bad. They were playing a lot of random 90's songs.

We swung by the Brooklyn Ale House after I had enough. They had metal playing at that place which was a welcomed change of pace. Also an adorable bar dog was present and I gave it lots of pets.

Top Bottom