• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

legend166

NYC GAF, I will be arriving in your fair city next Friday for a week. I need any and all recommendations for everything.

I will be staying at The Strand Hotel on West 37th Street.

This will also be my first visit to America.

bob page

NYC GAF, I will be arriving in your fair city next Friday for a week. I need any and all recommendations for everything.

I will be staying at The Strand Hotel on West 37th Street.

This will also be my first visit to America.

Definitely start by checking out the OP. If there's still stuff you need info on, post and we'll help you out.

parasight

Oh man. I wish I saw this thread a few weeks earlier. I just came back from a 10 day trip to NY. We stayed in Brooklyn (Bed-Stuy, we're real hood). Found the place on Airbnb. Incredibly cheap and as we were their first customers they provided us with 2 free bottles of wine.

A really awesome experience, outside of getting sick for a couple days. New York has some really amazing and beautiful places. That said, it also has its ugly and dirty areas. Didn't think the subway would be as deathly as it was. Actually made me appreciate the cleanliness of the TTC over here.

Ledsen

Holy crap I can't believe I haven't seen this thread earlier... I'm going in June for 9 days with the gf, haven't been to the US before (I'm from Sweden) so it's going to be a pretty sweet vacation. We're staying at the Edison by Times Square. I've got guide books that show me all the touristy stuff, and I will check out the OP, but what does US-GAF think we should do/see besides that?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap I can't believe I haven't seen this thread earlier... I'm going in June for 9 days with the gf, haven't been to the US before (I'm from Sweden) so it's going to be a pretty sweet vacation. We're staying at the Edison by Times Square. I've got guide books that show me all the touristy stuff, and I will check out the OP, but what does US-GAF think we should do/see besides that?

Step 1) Get the fuck away from Times Square

This city has a weird polar center, where all the tourists file into Times Square, spend a good deal of time in and around Midtown and then complain that the place is too crowded, expensive and that there is nothing to do. I can't tell how many times I've had to listen to friends and family members talk down New York because they never left a 20 block radius.

This place is amazing, so spend a half day in Times Square, see the lights, the spectacle and everyone from Omaha and then get out.

Go Downtown (below 14th street) if you're going to stay in Manhattan, because there are amazing restaurants that are cheap. Tons of sights to see and the pace is a touch slower down there.

Step 2) Leave Manhattan
People think of New York as Manhattan, but it's really a small piece of it. The boros have a wealth of great parks, restaurants, museums, sights and culture. Get to Brooklyn and Queens (I'm not as familiar with The Bronx, but there is a kick ass zoo there).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Going to NYC for the first time in my life tomorrow. Manhattan. Family trip so I'm gonna be lead around but I will give them these restaurant suggestions from the OP.

I'm gonna eat and drink so much this weekend. Sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, beer, oh lawdy lawdy lawdy...

bob page

Yes, if you want the real NYC experience, do NOT linger in the Times Square area. It's a tourist-trap with crappy chain restaurants and crappy chain stores. Venture anywhere outside that area and you should be golden.

Key areas:
-Shopping: 34th St near Herald Square, 5th Ave south of Central Park, SoHo
-Nice parks: Central Park, The High Line, Battery Park, Hudson River Esplanade, Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo, Prospect Park, Fort Tryon Park
-Food: Hell's Kitchen, East Village, Greenwich Village, LES, Williamsburg, Park Slope

If you have time, I definitely recommend taking a night to check out Park Slope (maybe dinner, walk through Prospect Park). Not many tourists know about it and it's a vastly different NY experience.

Kisaya

Along with Park Slope you should try to go to Downtown and South Brooklyn, lots of great restaurants and shopping areas :3 I grew up near Brooklyn Heights and it is still a beautiful and fun neighborhood. I really recommend anyone visiting NYC to check those areas.

Jhoan

Roosevelt Island is one of the most underrated areas in New York City. I took the lift to the island earlier today after coming out of a meeting at my school because I had nothing better to do. I got a bit misty eyed because of how amazing the city looks from it as well as when I was on the island. Seriously, I've never been to area of New York where you can see Queens on one side and Manhattan. I've never even seeing abandoned half-finished buildings before so that was a treat too. I highly recommend that everyone go check it out; it's amazingly quiet and accessible. Hell, it's even a nice place for a date or to hang out with friends. I saw a few stray kittens playing with each other with on the northern side of the island which was pretty cute.

The views/landmarks on the island are one of the most beautiful I've ever seen in the city, let alone, my life. I walked the entire thing in over the course of about 4 hours because I was pausing to take in the view, drink water, and whatnot. Unfortunately, my phone's battery eventually ran low, so I wasn't able to take pictures of the other areas such as a part of a real ship that's attached to the river side walk; that was amazing! In fact, I left my name and date there as well as my GAF name in case someone ever comes across it as well as if I go back. Any way, I'll let the pictures do the talking:
dqgz6.jpg

3Drzw.jpg

ozqQ0.jpg

STuaP.jpg

wuXrF.jpg

arhDf.jpg

cswY7.jpg

RvAxj.jpg

5Z0KV.jpg

agHA3.jpg

MypX2.jpg

8UmQM.jpg

zGoe7.jpg

I drew this last one of the lighthouse on the northern side of the island because of said issue (also, because I had my sketch pad with me):
LtuFQ.jpg

bob page

Roosevelt Island is one of the most underrated areas in New York City. I took the lift to the island earlier today after coming out of a meeting at my school because I had nothing better to do. I got a bit misty eyed because of how amazing the city looks from it as well as when I was on the island. Seriously, I've never been to area of New York where you can see Queens on one side and Manhattan. I've never even seeing abandoned half-finished buildings before so that was a treat too. I highly recommend that everyone go check it out; it's amazingly quiet and accessible. Hell, it's even a nice place for a date or to hang out with friends. I saw a few stray kittens playing with each other with on the northern side of the island which was pretty cute.

The views/landmarks on the island are one of the most beautiful I've ever seen in the city, let alone, my life. I walked the entire thing in over the course of about 4 hours because I was pausing to take in the view, drink water, and whatnot. Unfortunately, my phone's battery eventually ran low, so I wasn't able to take pictures of the other areas such as a part of a real ship that's attached to the river side walk; that was amazing! In fact, I left my name and date there as well as my GAF name in case someone ever comes across it as well as if I go back. Any way, I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Awesome, I'm gonna have to check it out this year before the new Cornell campus begins construction.

I've also been meaning to go to Governor's Island- maybe I'll check that out in a few weeks.

Here are a few shots from my walk around Brooklyn last weekend:

And a bonus from City Sub (maybe my new favorite sandwich joint in Brooklyn):

bob page

Coming to NYC in just over 2 weeks. A dream come true. I'm so hyped. What's the weather like NYC-GAF?

It's been very hot and humid the past week, so I've been struggling. If you like that kind of thing, you'll be fine. Just keep in mind that during summer months, the temperature in NYC usually feels around 10 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it actually is (due to the congestion, buildings, etc).

Jhoan

Coming to NYC in just over 2 weeks. A dream come true. I'm so hyped. What's the weather like NYC-GAF?

Muy caliente my friend. Around the 65-85 degree range; hell it was 88 for two days straight on Monday and yesterday! With summer coming too, you can bet it's gonna get much hotter. How long are you going to stay here for?

EDIT: Beaten.

Bob page, the only bad thing about Roosevelt Island is that it doesn't have a lot of eateries nor any bars as far as I know (but the restaurants do serve beer). I saw several eateries right outside the F train station including a Japanese restaurant. If you plan on going, do take the scenic route through the 59th Street Bridge.

EDIT: Also, if you happen to come across my name on that boat, do take a picture of it and send it to me.

Quick

Banned
NYC-GAF!

There's a possibility that I may be there for a few days near the end of the year (not sure what month/days yet). I was there for a week a couple of years ago and visited most of the usual tourist spots in Manhattan, what else am I missing?

I'm also looking to attend a Rangers game, how much are tickets on average (scalpers or official)?

And, other than Forbidden Planet (which I wasn't able to go to last time), any comic book stores in Manhattan specifically that you guys recommend?

Jhoan

NYC-GAF!

There's a possibility that I may be there for a few days near the end of the year (not sure what month/days yet). I was there for a week a couple of years ago and visited most of the usual tourist spots in Manhattan, what else am I missing?

I'm also looking to attend a Rangers game, how much are tickets on average (scalpers or official)?

And, other than Forbidden Planet (which I wasn't able to go to last time), any comic book stores in Manhattan specifically that you guys recommend?

Roosevelt Island? [/self-promotion]. See the OP for other places of interest besides the usual stuff. Union Square is one of my favorite areas in Manhattan and it's relatively tourist free, so I would recommend you go check that area out especially to shop and stuff like that. Also, the vastly underrated Washington Heights (my home sweet home); specifically The Cloisters at Ft. Tryon Park as well the Little Red Lighthouse, and the Morris Jumel Mansion among other things of interest. But since you're gonna be here towards the end of the year, most of these places I just mentioned are best visited during the spring when it gets much warmer save for Union Square which can be visited in any weather because there's different things going on each season.

I don't watch hockey myself, so I'm not familiar with the ticket prices; someone else can answer that. But I imagine it can be pricey especially since the Rangers have been hot this season. As for a good comic book store, I would definitely recommend Midtown Comics even though I've never been there myself, but I'm familiar with it and have passed by there enough to have heard good things about it.

LJ11

When my buddies and I were younger we'd throw barbeques on Roosevelt Island all the time, over by the lighthouse. They've really built the area up since, still probably cool to chill but I bet it's crowded now, could be mistaken though. Haven't been on the island in 5 years or so. Shame, brings back a lot of memories.

Docpan

I'm fucking moving to Manhattan in Sept. Who's down to do another meet up then? I want to hit up all the best clubs/bars/wherever we can get into trouble.

Jhoan

When my buddies and I were younger we'd throw barbeques on Roosevelt Island all the time, over by the lighthouse. They've really built the area up since, still probably cool to chill but I bet it's crowded now, could be mistaken though. Haven't been on the island in 5 years or so. Shame, brings back a lot of memories.
For such a tiny island, there's a lot of buildings crammed into it; it reminds me areas like Canal Street/China Town with little alleyways and whatnot. Unfortunately, I saw a lot of "Space for Rent signs" as soon as I came out the lift; Roosevelt Island is hard place to sell to retailers. A lot of the buildings are decaying like the Goldwater hospital building on the south side near the 59th Street Bridge. The island is half depressing, half-beautiful. The industrial area on the Queens side, depressed the hell out of me as well as the closed stores. I could imagine you guys doing barbecues during the winter. Strangely enough, it feels like a separate county rather than a natural/man made island in the middle of two boroughs. I bet the rent must be expensive because of the view.
I'm fucking moving to Manhattan in Sept. Who's down to do another meet up then? I want to hit up all the best clubs/bars/wherever we can get into trouble.
We'll see man. I'm gonna be busy with school myself (I'd still be down) but I think the meet ups as a monthly thing, has worked out pretty well so far. The only month we didn't have a meet up was in April so it varies between monthly and bimonthly. If you want to host it in September be my guest; I would suggest you make the thread in early August. I think we will be having a meet up in August because Mully will be 21 by then but that one would go up in late July. There's also going to be a meet up next month for sure so heads up people.

bob page

Union Square is one of my favorite areas in Manhattan and it's relatively tourist free, so I would recommend you go check that area out especially to shop and stuff like that.

Union Square: tourist free? We must be living in some sort of alternate reality.

Jhoan

Union Square: tourist free? We must be living in some sort of alternate reality.

Maybe I don't notice because I don't pay much attention. Although I do notice people taking pictures of the massive public art building and the OWS people so they're obviously tourists. They're just not as in-your-face as the tourists in Times Square. By the way, are you still down to make the June meet up thread?

bob page

Maybe I don't notice because I don't pay much attention. Although I do notice people taking pictures of the massive public art building and the OWS people so they're obviously tourists. They're just not as in-your-face as the tourists in Times Square. By the way, are you still down to make the June meet up thread?

I may be moving as early as June 15th so I might not be able to plan this one (unless it gets pushed to July or something). Still too early to know, though, as I haven't signed on a place yet.

bob page

From the Uniqlo site:

Game creators Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa will be signing autographs at UNIQLO 5th Ave on Friday, 6/8 and UNIQLO 34th St on Saturday, 6/9. Purchase $30 worth of your favorite UT Metal Gear t-shirts or other UNIQLO apparel to qualify for a chance to receive autographs from the real Big Bosses of Metal Gear!

Is it possible to get tickets for Yankees games at the gate guys? They're playing 2/3 times whilst I'm over and I'd love to see a game.

massoluk

Banned
If it's not too late, I'd like to recommend that people visit Korean Town in NYC. There are huge selection of Korean BBQ there, but for my recommendation... a chain Japanese buffet... hold it, it's pretty good and reasonable price

ICHI UMI.
www.ichiumi.com/

If you like big juicy steak, I recommend Benjamin Steakhouse, right next to Grand Central.
From the ex-chef at Peter Luger, a very famouse steak restaurant here, but Benjamin is much much easier to get reservation.
www.benjaminsteakhouse.com/

Jhoan

Holy fuck!

I shop at Uniqlo too much. My wardrobe is slowly becoming exclusively Uniqlo clothing.

I just went inside there today for the first time with my bro. Beyond the anime/video game shirts, the clothes are surprisingly decent. I didn't buy anything yet because nothing really stood out to me other than a simple Final Fantasy shirt with Yoshitaka Amano's artwork on it. I miss Filene's Basement; the clothes at Century 21 so far are o.k. Unfortunately, I have a barbecue to get to on that day. Otherwise, I would've gone and had him sign my MGS Essentials Collection for the PS2.

In other news, bob page, you've been relieved of hosting duties for the June meet up. I've found a new host so you don't have to stress yourself out along with moving out. The new ring bearer that's going to take us to Mordor is none other than -PXG-. Expect a thread soon folks.

Kisaya

I just went inside there today for the first time with my bro. Beyond the anime/video game shirts, the clothes are surprisingly decent. I didn't buy anything yet because nothing really stood out to me other than a simple Final Fantasy shirt with Yoshitaka Amano's artwork on it. I miss Filene's Basement; the clothes at Century 21 so far are o.k. Unfortunately, I have a barbecue to get to on that day. Otherwise, I would've gone and had him sign my MGS Essentials Collection for the PS2.

Whhooaaaa I didn't know they had Amano artwork on tees!! I'm not that crazy about Uniqlo clothing but their stuff is pretty comfortable and functional. Love their sales too. Not a fan of their jeans but my favorite purchase from there are a pair of jeggings I bought a while back.

okno

If you're staying in Times Square and want a great place to eat, head east to my 'hood, Hell's Kitchen! We're just far enough out of the bustle of TS to not be overwhelmed by tourists, but close enough for those that don't want to venture too far. Tons of great restaurants and tons of great bars, and you're just a few avenues away from the West Side Highway which is fun to walk (or ride a bike). HK has a really great vibe to it, it's definitely worth checking out.
Some recommendations:
Totto Ramen - one of the best ramen bars in Manhattan.
21 Club - a pre-prohibition bar and restaurant, it has a charm to it that is unparalleled. Expect to wait two hours for a seat, however. The history behind this place is pretty awesome. Some really cool shit happened during prohibition.
Riposo 46 - super small (maybe 13 seats), super cozy Italian restaurant with an amazing wine list and fantastic flatbreads.
Chez Napoleon - another super tiny, cozy restaurant, but French! Third generation owned, the grandma is still the executive chef. Great for a date.
Pio Pio - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Amazing Peruvian restaurant, and really cheap. The best rotisserie chicken I've had in the city.
Ajisai - Sushi, fantastic sushi.
Capizzi - great pizza restaurant, one of the best in the neighborhood.
There's also a really, really, really cheesy, but kind of ridiculously cute, Italian restaurant that is decorated like a vineyard, but with Elvis memorabilia tucked inbetween everything. The owner, who is also the host and waiter, even plays old Elvis movies and concerts on a TV on the back wall. The service is horrendous, but the food is decent, and the kitsch factor is just hilarious. Can't remember the name for the life of me...

However, like everyone else is saying, just stay far away from Times Square in general. Brooklyn and Queens really are the best places to go. I don't know much about Queens, but I'm well-versed in Brooklyn. Any questions, just ask!

Jhoan

Whhooaaaa I didn't know they had Amano artwork on tees!! I'm not that crazy about Uniqlo clothing but their stuff is pretty comfortable and functional. Love their sales too. Not a fan of their jeans but my favorite purchase from there are a pair of jeggings I bought a while back.

I just saw the same shirt in two different color variations. Here's the shirt in question. White is definitely my pick because it's my favorite color. Unfortunately, from what I see, there's no women's version so you would have to get it in small if you want it. I'm a sucker for comfortable clothing so that's a good reason to go back. I get an Old Navy/H&M vibe from that store. As for jeans, I easily get them from Century 21 (Buffalo, DKNY, and Seven jeans FTW). Japanese brands are catching on a lot I noticed; I saw another Japanese brand at Macy's earlier.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

In other news, bob page, you've been relieved of hosting duties for the June meet up. I've found a new host so you don't have to stress yourself out along with moving out. The new ring bearer that's going to take us to Mordor is none other than -PXG-. Expect a thread soon folks.

When will this one be in June?

Jhoan

When will this one be in June?

Based on the facts that -PXG- said in the May thread, it's most likely going to be on June 23rd because he gets paid on Friday. It's most likely going to take place at the Union Square/LES area (again, going off of what -PXG- said in the other thread).

Mahonay

Banned
Same. Probably ~75% of my wardrobe is Uniqlo now. It's so cheap and good, I can't resist.
You know, I see ads on the subway all the time for that store but like most things advertised on the subway I just completely ignored it. Sounds like I need to make a trip there this weekend.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Definitely check out Big Gay Ice Cream. They have a truck that they'll tweet the location of throughout the day, as well as a storefront in LES. The Salted Pimp is my new go-to food for the summer.

bob page

You know, I see ads on the subway all the time for that store but like most things advertised on the subway I just completely ignored it. Sounds like I need to make a trip there this weekend.

It's fantastic. Most of their clothing is minimal and without logos, flashy shit. The quality is much better than H&M and the prices are the same or even lower.

Definitely check out Big Gay Ice Cream. They have a truck that they'll tweet the location of throughout the day, as well as a storefront in LES. The Salted Pimp is my new go-to food for the summer.
Someone was actually telling me about the Salted Pimp last week. I'm going to have to check it out this summer.

Hi folks a little help.

Started reading this thread but a bit on the heavy side.

My wife and I are looking to do a flight and hotel stay at New York around June 23 for 4 days.

Can someone recommend a good hotel that has good ties to the subway so we can explore the city and see its museums and parks and restaurants. We don't want to stay in a dump, but we're also not looking for high end luxury.

bob page

Hi folks a little help.

Started reading this thread but a bit on the heavy side.

My wife and I are looking to do a flight and hotel stay at New York around June 23 for 4 days.

Can someone recommend a good hotel that has good ties to the subway so we can explore the city and see its museums and parks and restaurants. We don't want to stay in a dump, but we're also not looking for high end luxury.

http://www.jetsetter.com/invite/uncleguito
http://www.hotelstonight.com
http://www.tripadvisor.com

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This is gonna sound strange but no one I know goes clubbing. I never been clubbing before so does anyone wanna go around club hopping with me showing me a awesome time?

Emily Chu

Banned
This is gonna sound strange but no one I know goes clubbing. I never been clubbing before so does anyone wanna go around club hopping with me showing me a awesome time?

I've have some clubbin experience, mostly it's louder, more people dance, darker etc

Aye, hows next weekend sound man ?

PM me bro

I'm down for w/e

always down for wingmaning

also if anyone from the past meetups wants to chill and hangout whenever the hell just shoot me a PM I'm always in Brooklyn or Manhattan these days.

Jhoan

There is a Target First Saturday event at the Brooklyn Museum. I'm thinking about going as I've never been to one and have heard good things about it, so I might go to that. Up in my neighborhood, there's a Dominican festival later today that I'm gonna go to for sure since I go every year, but it wouldn't be in everyone's interest to go unless you're Hispanic.

Jhoan

Huge street fair going on in the UES today, dunno if this is the one you guys were referring to:

282366_10102128027941824_1427592960_n.jpg

Nah, the one I'm referring to is happening in 181st and St. Nicholas ave. Free concert, carnival. I'm getting dressed so I could go check it out for a bit and take a few pics.

If any more people are down to go the BK museum, let me know; I might just go regardless.

tino

Banned
I did the day trip to Governor's Island today. I thought I would do a "walkthrough" since most of these facilities are new. I think its the great way to spend half a day for both out of towner or native New Yorkers. I myself has been to the island a few times but taking the Brooklyn Ferry route is a first time. Sorry about the processed photos, it makes phone camera photos look better. *Check the G Island website if you are not going in the weekend*

First I took the 2/3 Train to the Clark Street.
7331391526_3035565d65_o.jpg

Then I walk Clark Street toward the pier, mostly to take a look at the Cityscape.
7331393728_2711ccca56_o.jpg

It took a few minutes to get to the base of Brooklyn Bridge. Here is one of the most famous spots in New York. you can see newlyweds come here to take wedding pictures all the time. They have expended the recreation area greatly and renamed the whole place "Brooklyn Bridge Park".
7331393000_6f0f4c60bd_o.jpg

If you have been here you can skip it and take Jarolemon Street from subway straight to Pier 6. Pier 6 is where you can take free Ferry to Governor's Island in the weekend.
7331394438_2055acd92a_o.jpg

The Ferry ride is really short. I probably took the boat longer time to turn around then get to the other side of the river.
7331395064_ddbce82ce0_o.jpg

7331395622_cde4de614e_o.jpg

If you haven't been to the Island, I recommend spend about 3 hours here. Spend 2 hours walk around in the eastern side that's open. Spend one hour in the west side where there is a big picnic area. It's very easy to spot all kind of hipsters over here. You may catch some kind of Burning Man construction being built too.
7331396300_47d3af575f_o.jpg

7331390022_03e2ba743c_o.jpg

Here, some fake palm trees
7331398724_a1455c705c_o.jpg

The ferry ride going back to Manhattan is pretty close to the other pier.
7331400038_8e02b3ffd7_o.jpg

When you get to Manhattan, it's the pier next to the Staten Island Ferry. You can get on the 1, or NR trains.
7331402034_e0670be66b_o.jpg

One more bonus panorama photo. You can see Pier 6 in the far left side. This photo make the distance between the bridge and the ferry pier seem very great but really it's not a long walk.
7332005518_8b57847552_c.jpg

Kisaya

Nice photos tino! The Brooklyn Bridge Park is absolutely my favorite place in NYC, I try to go whenever I can. I'm actually planning on going to Governor's Island next Monday with friends and I'm looking forward to it :)

Top Bottom