• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

bob page

I'm looking for a dinner spot within walking distance (15 mins or less) of Times Square to take a few coworkers to. Price range is around $30pp, any ideas?

God damn I am rocking a wicked hangover from Avenue last night. Partying during the week is much better than the weekend in NYC. I need to go out during the week more often.

entremet

God damn I am rocking a wicked hangover from Avenue last night. Partying during the week is much better than the weekend in NYC. I need to go out during the week more often.

I hear you, but drinking during the week kills my waistline. I don't have my college years metabolism.

I hear you, but drinking during the week kills my waistline. I don't have my college years metabolism.

Just go out hard Wednesday and Thursday and go light Friday and Saturday. Problem solved. Its totally worth it. I go out during the week and have loads of fun on a random night, go out on a Saturday night and its awful.

Zilch

Banned
I definitely prefer going out on weeknights, especially if I'm in downtown Manhattan. Spend 90% of my recreational time in north Brooklyn anyhow.

Amagon

Gonna take a day trip to Manhattan tomorrow since I'm bored and need to get out of the house. Any events going on Thursday. I'm just gonna walk around the city and aiming to pass by Rockstar studios so I can ninja my way in and play GTAV. (I wish)

Gonna take a day trip to Manhattan tomorrow since I'm bored and need to get out of the house. Any events going on Thursday. I'm just gonna walk around the city and aiming to pass by Rockstar studios so I can ninja my way in and play GTAV. (I wish)

Thursday nights? best night to in NYC by far. Pretty much every club is bumping

Kisaya

I feel dumb for not being familiar because I'm native to Brooklyn, but where's a good place to eat around Coney Island? And don't say Nathan's =_=

Jhoan

Thursday nights? best night to in NYC by far. Pretty much every club is bumping
And it's dirt cheap to go clubbing on Thursdays. A club that's normally $25 on the weekend is $15 on Thursdays (even though I'm not a fan of going to clubs because of the loud music and expensive drinks).
Wait, why is the NYC OT in OT while LA OT is in Community :(
Well it's because it's not really a niche thread per se where you have the same members posting in it regularly (save for a couple of us that do contribute to the thread regularly)talking to each about random things besides the topic.

It gets more attention in OT because many tourist Gaffers may want to come to the city to visit or move in so it's much easier to find it in OT as opposed to OT Community. Although, I do agree that that it's odd that LA GAF is in OT Community whereas the other city GAF threads are on OT.

---
So many NYC Gaffers! Why haven't I haven't I seen a couple at the meet ups (understandable if you're busy, have an SO and what not but still)? A couple of you guys need to grace us with your presence at one of these meet ups to come.

EDIT: @Kisaya Nathan's (I know you said anything but Nathan's)? :D Honestly, I don't know. There might be a few Russian Restaurants around there that are good but I don't know the area myself. Last time I was there, I ate at McDonald's unfortunately.

Jhoan

I heard about it and saw it all over the news. It sucks that it ended the way it di. And I was by the Empire State Building last Friday night. No amount of high security can prevent these types of things from happening.

Heck tomorrow's meet up is going to near it so it's going to be a pain in the ass navigating around there. It's still on regardless, so anyone still wants to go feel free to pop into the thread and say so.

warhead

I'm leaving for NY in about a week and a half (third time), but I sadly got a pretty nasty knee injury last Friday which will guarantee me walking on crutches the entire time. Any ideas for good things to do that don't involve too much walking? Museums are already at the top of my list.

Jhoan

I'm leaving for NY in about a week and a half (third time), but I sadly got a pretty nasty knee injury last Friday which will guarantee me walking on crutches the entire time. Any ideas for good things to do that don't involve too much walking? Museums are already at the top of my list.

Definitely museums. I'll also recommend the art galleries on Chelsea (23rd and 10th avenue) which spans all the way up to 30 something but you can see a lot in the span of two to three blocks since there's art galleries right next to each other. There's not much else I could really recommend other than anything related art. Unless you'd be interested in watching an open mic or a play of sorts at the Nuyorican Poet's Cafe.

Jhoan

Well good news guys: I'm going to be returning to work at the NY Comic Con this year not as a Volunteer but as a Crew now since it's now officially a full fledged paying job which started paying last year. I'm so excited. Last year was amazing as it was my first ever at Comic Con and I got to meet Junot Díaz who signed my copy of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao after admiring his works and success. I was star struck by him. It made my first Comic Con experience 10 times more special and memorable.

Working behind the scenes while pretty stressful and physically demanding, is incredibly fun and rewarding in terms of meeting new people, scavenging for swag once the show floor is closed, taking pictures, and having easy access to high profile people as we're supposed to help them (but ultimately answer to our employer in terms of ethics and that sort of thing). I helped manage the line for Robert Kirkman (the creator of The Walking Dead) so I was pretty close to him but since I'm not familiar with the comics and have never seen the show, I wasn't star struck by him as much as a co-worker was who gushed his heart out to him like I did to Junot Díaz and had him sign his (then) Volunteer pass.

I suppose I will be making an NY Comic Con thread soon to drum up some up hype as well as have a potential meet up there in October (provided I'm not swamped with working and homework assignments). Halloween would definitely not work as a secondary meet up save for maybe in early October/mid October if enough people demand a second meet up. And no, I can't hook you guys up with a free pass; I think that would land me in extremely hot water. You guys will unfortunately have to pay your way in assuming nobody bought the passes in advance.

Mistake

Gold Member
Hey everyone, I should be helping a friend with some stuff for his trip to China, so we will be going to 520 12th avenue.
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...=us&ei=pbc-UL-XBeal6AGexoDADw&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

I know there are some museums around, which I plan on going to, but what else should I really do in the area? Are there any good places to park? And what will I be looking at for expenses? I will be there for only one day, and then I have a 6 hour drive back. As I'm not much of a city guy, I would like to plan this as much as possible so I don't waste time getting lost. I'm planning for next Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks for any help!

Old Lace

So, I just moved to Brooklyn from Georgia on Wednesday and I'm having a pretty tough time getting adjusted. I've always been an introverted dude, but man... social anxiety's hit me like never before.

I need to find a job and I have to learn the subway system. I was in NYC early last month for a job interview and I didn't feel like this. But now, I just feel stressed and like I'm not going to make it here.

Jhoan

So, I just moved to Brooklyn from Georgia on Wednesday and I'm having a pretty tough time getting adjusted. I've always been an introverted dude, but man... social anxiety's hit me like never before.

I need to find a job and I have to learn the subway system. I was in NYC early last month for a job interview and I didn't feel like this. But now, I just feel stressed and like I'm not going to make it here.
Welcome. I know that feel bro; I've been an introverted person for most of my life myself but I've been becoming more outgoing over the years. I still have social anxiety which I'm working on. Might I suggest you check out The Social Anxiety Workbook?

And apparently, you're in luck because there's an NYC GAF Meet up this very month which should help with your anxiety. So I would suggest as a starter that you come meet up with us fine folks. We're a pretty fun bunch. Plus it'll also make you street smart as you learn the ins and outs of the city.

The subway system is pretty easy to learn once you figure out which trains take to where you want to get to quickly. Study the subway map on mta.info. It's a matter of going through the area multiple times before you get the route down. I think you'll be fine, but you need to do things that make you feel uncomfortable if you ever plan on meeting people and what not. Good luck, and again welcome to our fine pricey, corporate, tourist trap laden multi-ethnic city.

Hey New Yorkers, I'm going to be visiting your fine city in March. It is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember (probably since watching Seinfeld in the early 90s).

One of my major goals is to be in a live studio audience. I don't care what one, ideally I'd like it to be the Daily Show or Colbert Report, but I would gladly take Letterman or SNL (even though I don't watch either of those anymore). I hope I am successful, but getting tickets seems rather difficult.

Now, obviously there are those touristy things that every tourist wants to do (Broadway, Empire State Building, a couple museums like Moma or Met), but I was wondering, is there something you guys would recommend that every tourist should try and do that most out-of-towners might overlook?

Jhoan

Hey New Yorkers, I'm going to be visiting your fine city in March. It is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember (probably since watching Seinfeld in the early 90s).

One of my major goals is to be in a live studio audience. I don't care what one, ideally I'd like it to be the Daily Show or Colbert Report, but I would gladly take Letterman or SNL (even though I don't watch either of those anymore). I hope I am successful, but getting tickets seems rather difficult.

Now, obviously there are those touristy things that every tourist wants to do (Broadway, Empire State Building, a couple museums like Moma or Met), but I was wondering, is there something you guys would recommend that every tourist should try and do that most out-of-towners might overlook?

Yeah, you might want to reserve those tickets ASAP as there's a massive waiting list for them. To answer your question, you definitely should go check out The Cloisters as Washington Heights is incredibly overlooked by many tourists. In fact, most tourists don't go beyond Harlem since they don't think there's nothing else to see beyond 125th street.

I suppose you could check out Nintendo World, even though it isn't really all that special and while you're at it, take a tour at the nearby NBC Studios (which I've never done personally and I've lived here my entire life).

While I've never been there before, you should also check out The High Line and maybe the Brooklyn Bridge since many people tourists love to take pictures from it. Of course, there's plenty more to see beyond Manhattan such as The Museum of the Moving Image in Queens but if you just want to see Manhattan for the time you'll be here, it should be fine.

The temperature will be relatively chilly around that month at around 45-50 degrees or so. I suppose the Morris Jumel Mansion might also be worth your interest as well (again, even though I live in the neighborhood, I've never been there myself, but I've heard good things about it). I suppose that's all I could really recommend unless you're interested in checking out China Town which is a tourist trap, but full of many shops in nooks and crannies.

bob page

A tornado touched down in Brooklyn earlier- be safe everyone! Looks like the warning is in effect until 11:30pm tonight, since pockets are randomly forming out of no where.

Okay, this might be a silly question coming from a life long Kansan that has become accustomed to the cheap cost of living out here, but knowing how expensive it can be to live in NYC...

How do your regular, blue collar folk manage to do it? Do they all live in outlying cheaper areas and just commute in, or are there areas in NYC that are decent to live in and more reasonably priced?

bob page

Okay, this might be a silly question coming from a life long Kansan that has become accustomed to the cheap cost of living out here, but knowing how expensive it can be to live in NYC...

How do your regular, blue collar folk manage to do it? Do they all live in outlying cheaper areas and just commute in, or are there areas in NYC that are decent to live in and more reasonably priced?

Blue collar folks tend to commute in from Jersey (many of the secretaries from my office take the bus in from Jersey), the depths of Brooklyn, Bronx or the Queens suburbs. Some also take the train in from north of the city, but that area can be really pricey as well (mostly estates and such). Anywhere within a 45 min subway ride of the city can be upwards of $1600 for a 1BR if it's in a decent neighborhood.

For reference, I live in a blue collar Puerto Rican neighbhorhood in Brooklyn and pay $1760/month. The place is a bit newer than others in the area but I'm pretty sure most of the blue collar workers in the area constantly struggle to make ends meet. Which is why, due to gentrification, they gradually get pushed further & further from the city since they can no longer afford to live in such areas.

Old Lace

Welcome. I know that feel bro; I've been an introverted person for most of my life myself but I've been becoming more outgoing over the years. I still have social anxiety which I'm working on. Might I suggest you check out The Social Anxiety Workbook?

And apparently, you're in luck because there's an NYC GAF Meet up this very month which should help with your anxiety. So I would suggest as a starter that you come meet up with us fine folks. We're a pretty fun bunch. Plus it'll also make you street smart as you learn the ins and outs of the city.

The subway system is pretty easy to learn once you figure out which trains take to where you want to get to quickly. Study the subway map on mta.info. It's a matter of going through the area multiple times before you get the route down. I think you'll be fine, but you need to do things that make you feel uncomfortable if you ever plan on meeting people and what not. Good luck, and again welcome to our fine pricey, corporate, tourist trap laden multi-ethnic city.
So, I've been doing stuff and getting adjusted to living in the city. I went out drinking with my sister and some of her friends on Friday in Bushwick. It was pretty cool. I'm continuing my lifelong quest to be a less quiet dude.

On Saturday, I went with my sister to meet up with a friend to go shopping. My sister bailed and I ended up going to the union square farmers market
and to trader joe's and to whole foods
with her friend. Took the bus back home and managed to not get lost. It was cool, but I don't think I'm ever going shopping in Manhattan on a Saturday ever again.

Kisaya

People just need to see that Manhattan isn't just what makes up NYC. The other boroughs have plenty of decent places to live in that's not expensive.

Also, there are a lot of low income famlies who have been living here for than a decade or two, so most still pay rent that's significantly cheaper from back then. I know a lot of families from good neighborhoods in Brooklyn that still pay $700 - $1000 for their apartments.

Jhoan

So, I've been doing stuff and getting adjusted to living in the city. I went out drinking with my sister and some of her friends on Friday in Bushwick. It was pretty cool. I'm continuing my lifelong quest to be a less quiet dude.

On Saturday, I went with my sister to meet up with a friend to go shopping. My sister bailed and I ended up going to the union square farmers market
and to trader joe's and to whole foods
with her friend. Took the bus back home and managed to not get lost. It was cool, but I don't think I'm ever going shopping in Manhattan on a Saturday ever again.

With time and practice, you'll get better. I'm quiet from time to time myself, so I know the feeling. But that's good to hear that you went out; hopefully your sister introduced you to them. I suppose you can also try meeting women through okcupid. The okcupid thread is chock full of tips and the people are very supportive. What area did you guys go shopping at? 5th avenue is always packed no matter what as is 34th street near Macy's. Again, I invite you to come out to this month's GAF meet up.

Speaking of the meet up, I want to remind everyone that there is a meet up this month on September 29th. So if you're interested in going please post in the thread. You'll be doing me a huge favor in doing so. :) Details about the place are still sketchy as we haven't decided upon a place yet.

I was at the Masonic Hall the whole day yesterday for a fraternity event. It's a very fascinating place. Apparently anyone can waltz in and get a free tour of the place. I must've overlooked this place a million times; it's on 23rd between 5th and 6th (right outside the F train/next to a Duane Reade) for anyone who's curious. I didn't see any freaky stuff. It's a fascinating building with so much history.

Jhoan

Junot Diaz, author of the Pulitzer Prize winning book The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is going to be talking and signing copies of his new short story collection book This is How You Lose Her at Barnes and Noble in Union Square tonight at 7. I will be most definitely be there. If anyone is a Diaz fan and wants to meet up, let me know. I'm going to bring my camera to take pictures of the event.

So I'm beginning to look for a new apartment and I'm wondering what you guys think are the best apartment-hunting sites in the city (Brooklyn, specifically). I'm all over Craigslist and Street Easy but neither is really rocking my socks and I have a feeling there are superior sites out there.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

bob page

So I'm beginning to look for a new apartment and I'm wondering what you guys think are the best apartment-hunting sites in the city (Brooklyn, specifically). I'm all over Craigslist and Street Easy but neither is really rocking my socks and I have a feeling there are superior sites out there.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I used Padmapper / Craigslist in my last search and found quite a bit of stuff.

Reposting this in here from my own miserable failed thread. NYC-GAF, I need your help. I'm trying to plan a little surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday. Anyway, my plan is to have a bunch of our friends surprise her at a bar after I take her out to a nice romantic(hopefully) dinner. What I need your help for is recommendations for a place to do it at. She isn't a huge drinker so it would be a more laid back place that has plenty of space and isn't choked with people. Preferably in the lower Manhattan area (union square/village/etc.). I don't want to take her to one of our regular watering holes so any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bob page

Reposting this in here from my own miserable failed thread. NYC-GAF, I need your help. I'm trying to plan a little surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday. Anyway, my plan is to have a bunch of our friends surprise her at a bar after I take her out to a nice romantic(hopefully) dinner. What I need your help for is recommendations for a place to do it at. She isn't a huge drinker so it would be a more laid back place that has plenty of space and isn't choked with people. Preferably in the lower Manhattan area (union square/village/etc.). I don't want to take her to one of our regular watering holes so any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What's your budget? And is this food & drinking in the same place?

have you tried the op?

Top Bottom