• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York on verge of tuition-free college for middle class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full article here.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has reached agreement with lawmakers on the state budget, and it includes a plan to make tuition free at public colleges for middle class New Yorkers.

The state Assembly and Senate are expected to vote on and approve the budget before Monday.

New York will be the first state in the nation to make tuition free at both two- and four-year public colleges for residents who earn up to a specific income cap, which will be phased in over the first three years.

Starting this fall, students who attend a State University of New York or City University of New York school will be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship if their families earn no more than $100,000 a year. The income cap will lift to $110,000 next year and will reach $125,000 in 2019.

Those eligible will pay nothing for tuition, which costs $6,470 annually at four-year schools and about $4,350 a year at community colleges. But they will still be on the hook for the cost of fees and room and board if they live on campus. Those other expenses can add up to $14,000 a year.

Students must take 30 credits a year to receive the scholarship. Some lawmakers had spoken out against this requirement, because it excludes students who enroll part time.
In the final proposal, Cuomo said the credit requirement is "flexible" so that any student facing hardship will be able to pause and restart the program, or take fewer credits one semester than another.

After they graduate, students who receive the scholarship must live and work in New York for the same number of years they received funding. If they leave the state, their scholarship will be converted into a loan. This requirement was not included in the governor's initial proposal, which he announced in January.

The governor's office has estimated the scholarship will cost $163 million in the first year, but some lawmakers say that's lowballing it. An estimated 200,000 students would be eligible once the program is fully implemented.

Finaj

I'm about to come out of SUNY with 15k debt and a bachelor's degree. I went to Community College for my first 2 years, so I don't have to pay as much as I would have otherwise.

And the SUNY system is pretty great. Does any other state have a system like it?

Boogie9IGN

I'm about to come out of SUNY with 15k debt and a bachelor's degree. I went to Community College for my first 2 years, so I don't have to pay as much as I would have otherwise.

And the SUNY system is pretty great. Does any other state have a system like it?

Is it like California's CSU (23 schools)/UC (10 schools) systems?

Bronx-Man

Banned
58fd43082945042587f7880ed847338a.jpg

Foffy

Banned
A good first step but it should be free for everyone

We have to start with conditionality before we move to unconditionality, it would appear.

That's how bad America fucked up with this and other programs that should be available to all like a minimum income and health care..

ItIsOkBro

given that i took out a government loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free tuition is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

Deepwater

given that i took out a government loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free tuition is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

crabs in a barrel

KHarvey16

Yeah there's no way a person would ever find themselves in a position where they couldn't pay back a big loan. Nope, no possible way.

theWB27

Education shouldn't put you in debt.

barriers to attendance should be as low as possible. If a student has the grades to get in and stay in a program, cost shouldn't be an issue to a public institution just as it isn't in high school.

tuition forgiveness can fuck right off though, that MASSIVELY benefits the wealthy over everyone else.

After they graduate, students who receive the scholarship must live and work in New York for the same number of years they received funding. If they leave the state, their scholarship will be converted into a loan. This requirement was not included in the governor's initial proposal, which he announced in January.

What is the point of this? It could really, really screw people who are forced to move due to economic/health/family reasons.

What a horrible mentality. So if you have a couple kids you want to make sure they take out a bunch of loans and are saddled with debt?
Education shouldn't put you in debt.
Man that is some stone cold truth. What a fucked up system we have going on right now.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
What is the point of this? It could really, really screw people who are forced to move due to economic/health/family reasons.

It's a state thing and it's asking that you invest back in the state and ensure that you didn't just establish residency to get it.

it prevents people from moving to NY just to establish residency, get free tuition via NY taxpayer dollars, and immediately leaving- which is a much more likely scenario than someone being "forced to move" within 4 years out of college.

It's a state thing and it's asking that you invest back in the state.

Depending on your career choice, not being able to move out of New York for 4+ years could really limit your marketability.

Also, sometimes people are forced to unexpectedly move because a family member gets sick, etc. Now on top of that, those people are saddled with full tuition debt.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I just think it's a bad idea.

If I have to suffer, everyone should, it's the American way. Not to gang up on you, but this is exactly how we got to where we are.

Linkura

Excelsior!

This is a good start, considering it seems like it's impossible in this political climate to really take national steps to reduce/get rid of public college tuition. When I was graduating from high school in RI, URI offered half tuition and no tuition scholarships to pretty much everyone in my class who had decent grades to try to incentivize them to stay in RI in a public university for college/beyond- regardless of income. This included applicants for their six-year pharmacy program- six years of free tuition is huge. They offered me free tuition just for applying, though I didn't go there. It worked pretty well- both the val and sal went there and so did a large percentage of the best students.

smurfx

get some go again
yeah people should always be fucked because not everybody got the same breaks.

This would be a hell of a deal if New York's public universities were decent.

Is it like California's CSU (23 schools)/UC (10 schools) systems?

Not at all. The UC system is unrivaled. Berkeley and UCLA are the two best public universities in the country and the gap between them and the rest of the field is enormous. Plus Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all top 50 schools in the country. The only mediocre UC schools are Merced and Riverside, both of which are still better than any NY university besides Buffalo and Binghamton.

SUNY is straight crap in comparison. The best SUNY university (Binghatom) doesn't even make the top 80.

Deepwater

It makes it so that the state isn't spending money for kids to get educated and go to another state. The state is serving it's own interests, and justifiably so. Many state funded scholarships/grants (not just in NY) will require recipients to stay in their respective states for at least a couple of years. The state has to make a return on it's investment somehow. Imagine you got paid by your job to get some specialized training and you immediately left for a competitor.

Yeah there are shitty situations but there has to be some checks and balances here for it to be somewhat sustainable.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This would be a hell of a deal if New York's public universities were decent.

Not at all. The UC system is unrivaled. Berekley and UCLA are the two best public universities n the country and the gap between them and the rest of the field is enormous. Plus Davis, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all top 50 schools in the country.

SUNY is straight crap in comparison. The best SUNY university (Binghatom) doesn't even make the top 80.

If NY public universities were decent? Lol So they all suck to you?

Depending on your career choice, not being able to move out of New York for 4+ years could really limit your marketability.

Also, sometimes people are forced to unexpectedly move because a family member gets sick, etc. Now on top of that, those people are saddled with full tuition debt.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I just think it's a bad idea.

Then go to school for something you can work in NYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom