• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

I'm a little late posting this, but my baby girl was finally born a little less than 2 weeks ago:

Bz6Ae.jpg

I'm quickly learning to cope with sleep depravation, but I'm having a little bit of trouble coming to terms with the fact that I no longer have any free time to myself. Regardless, it's worth it, as I'd rather be spending time with her.

mrkgoo

Our girl didn't have her first bath until she was over 2 and a half months old. We could only give her towel baths because her cord wouldn't fall off.

Interesting. Seriously, it's interesting how things are done in different places. I was taught to bath my baby with her cord still on!

He's out! Over 24 hours in the hospital, my son was born at 10:01 pm on July 13th!

Now the fun part begins.

389029_10101355965256658_1126672384_n.jpg

Congrats, man! You guys looks so please he's out :)

Congrats guys!

Hard to believe mine is already 4yrs old. I remember the first few weeks/months seems like freaking years because we were up so much with her. Then came the crawling, rolling, first sounds and words, then first steps, etc. so many good memories.

Now it's like she is growing up way too fast.

Enjoy this time!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
24 hours out of the hospital, and he is still alive! Jandice level is down low, I am feeling good about this. My wife has no baby experience she is still panicking a lot when whe cries. I am the baby expert between us, and since she is still pretty torn up she has a hard time moving, this is pretty much all me right now.

Congrats, man! You guys looks so please he's out :)

It was a difficult pregnancy with preterm labor staved off for 8 weeks, with a long hospital stay, and my wife's family being dumbasses. It's been rough.

I'm quickly learning to cope with sleep depravation, but I'm having a little bit of trouble coming to terms with the fact that I no longer have any free time to myself. Regardless, it's worth it, as I'd rather be spending time with her.

It's only a few weeks in, and you'll progressively get less time as time goes on as they learn to move, crawl and, by virtue of their movement and ignorance of the world around them, get into things they shouldn't. Just a facet of parenthood that comes with the territory, but you'll find ways to get some "you" time in there.

Hell I remember pulling all nighters to play games and watch my boy at the same time. I stop playing when he's awake, I play when he's asleep. Going to do the same thing when my baby girl arrives this September.

It's only a few weeks in, and you'll progressively get less time as time goes on as they learn to move, crawl and, by virtue of their movement and ignorance of the world around them, get into things they shouldn't. Just a facet of parenthood that comes with the territory, but you'll find ways to get some "you" time in there.

Hell I remember pulling all nighters to play games and watch my boy at the same time. I stop playing when he's awake, I play when he's asleep. Going to do the same thing when my baby girl arrives this September.

I've actually beat more games since she was born in February than before. We're home way more than we used to be.

aett

I also lose sleep every night so that I can play games. It helps that I'm a night owl, so as soon as my wife and son are both asleep, it's me time... which sometimes doesn't last very long because I'm tired from work, etc.

Yeah, during the first 6 months playing video games, watching movies, and reading books is pretty much all I did. The real time sponge comes when they're mobile!

This. I'll say it again, babies aren't hard; toddlers are. Toddlers move more, sleep less during the day, and demand more attention. I miss our girl taking tons of naps during the day. I had so much free time then.

Fusebox

Banned
Eh, Sophie has been around for 50+ years. If you read enough reviews you'll be scared away from anything. I'm not worried.

So I was in the baby shop and I saw the Sophies and bubs is starting to teeth so I figured why not, if you guys say it's okay that's enough for me, and I bought her one.

She loves it! You know that scene in Avengers where
The Hulk grabs Loki and smashes him back and forth
? That's what she did with it for the first hour. :p

So I was in the baby shop and I saw the Sophies and bubs is starting to teeth so I figured why not, if you guys say it's okay that's enough for me, and I bought her one.

She loves it! You know that scene in Avengers where
The Hulk grabs Loki and smashes him back and forth
? That's what she did with it for the first hour. :p

Right on. As much as a five month can have a favorite, her Sophie is definitely it.

mrkgoo

This. I'll say it again, babies aren't hard; toddlers are. Toddlers move more, sleep less during the day, and demand more attention. I miss our girl taking tons of naps during the day. I had so much free time then.

I reckon part of it that toddlers are harder, but that doesn't make babies easy. Like I said parenting is a two street - babies attitude and parents' attitude. How parents deal with it is important....and newborns with no experience? Tough.

It's like education... Each successive year is harder and make the early seem a diddle....but really that doesn't make any less tough at the time...

Our baby doesn't sleep during the day... So yeah, no naps. :( most of the time that doesn't matter for me anyway, since I go to work at the moment. Work is like a holiday away from constant attention. Not that work isn't work - but working at your own pace has its own sense of calm. My wife has it rough, though.

Tapiozona

Banned
Awesome topic! Everybody, meet Finn! (born March 7th)

Our son was born on the 5th, we almost named him Finn as well (Problem is my family is Finnish so it'd be like naming your kid American). Settled on Rowen.

rowen-1.jpg

Every day I love him more and more. He's actually excited to see me when I get home from work now and the constant feedback and reactions make everything so worth while.

Has anyone done baby modeling with thier kids? I know everyone thinks their baby is the cutest baby on earth so I'm falling into that trap but my wife is constantly bugging me about getting him into it and putting the money into a college fund. Sounds like a lot of work to me but it would be cool to see him in a magazine should he ever get recognized from the millions of other parents with the same hopes.

MrMephistoX

So question baby GAF BOB stroller or City Elite ? I hate the fact that even baby products appeal to my geek side now. Last time I was this into a home product purchase was when I started researching Dyson vacuums.

So question baby GAF BOB stroller or City Elite ? I hate the fact that even baby products appeal to my geek side now. Last time I was this into a home product purchase was when I started researching Dyson vacuums.
Bob is the only stroller my wife bought that I don't hate and she's bought a ton of them.

MrMephistoX

Bob is the only stroller my wife bought that I don't hate and she's bought a ton of them.

Heavily leaning toward bob anyway since hardly any retailers stock the City brand where I live. Anyone have a preference between the revolution SE and CE? Haven't seen the CE in the wild but seems like the smaller wheel base would make it more of an all in one stroller rather than a pure jogger.

Give it a bottle and get back to gaming, duh.
KuGsj.gif
They are easiest when they are little, despite what people think. Wait until the baby is a toddler, oh joy LOL

I've heard this as well from my good friend: he got all the way through FFXIII before the kid started crawling and then walking soon thereafter but he's lucky to finish a game these days.

Heavily leaning toward bob anyway since hardly any retailers stock the City brand where I live. Anyone have a preference between the revolution SE and CE? Haven't seen the CE in the wild but seems like the smaller wheel base would make it more of an all in one stroller rather than a pure jogger.

We have the SE.

DJ_Lae

After mucking around with both a couple of years back I ended up buying the City Elite.

I went with it mostly because I'm tall, though, as it has an adjustable handlebar and the brake assembly on the bottom isn't as bulky as the Bob (my feet hit it quite easily). Added bonus is that it folds up much quicker. Also has nice little touches like magnetic fasteners for windows and vents, instead of the Bob's velcro, and a pleasant rubber on the handlebars instead of foam. It's also nice having a less common stroller, as Bobs are everywhere.

Downside to both - expensive as hell accessories.

edit - oh yeah, another factor was the massive sun/rain hood.

MrMephistoX

We have the SE.

Nice do you use it primarily for running or also around town and shopping? We've tested them out and really have no complaints with the SE it just looks like the wheels are a tad smaller on the CE.

After mucking around with both a couple of years back I ended up buying the City Elite.

I went with it mostly because I'm tall, though, as it has an adjustable handlebar and the brake assembly on the bottom isn't as bulky as the Bob (my feet hit it quite easily). Added bonus is that it folds up much quicker. Also has nice little touches like magnetic fasteners for windows and vents, instead of the Bob's velcro, and a pleasant rubber on the handlebars instead of foam. It's also nice having a less common stroller, as Bobs are everywhere.

Downside to both - expensive as hell accessories.

I know what you mean I just wish I could find a demo model in my area for the Elite since I've heard nothing but great things about the line: we just seem to have City Minis in OR.

DJ_Lae

I know what you mean I just wish I could find a demo model in my area for the Elite since I've heard nothing but great things about the line: we just seem to have City Minis in OR.

Yeah, they're definitely harder to find - and in Canada, anyway, more expensive, though I got mine on sale for less than an equivalent BOB, which made my choice easy.

I think only one store here carries Baby Jogger strollers at all.

Nice do you use it primarily for running or also around town and shopping? We've tested them out and really have no complaints with the SE it just looks like the wheels are a tad smaller on the CE.

We use it mostly for going around town. We live in Seattle and do a lot of walking the neighborhoods. I run 6-7 miles at a time, so I don't take kiddo and the stroller with me very often, but it's really smooth when I do.

Vyer

Congrats to all the new parents!

Yup, though it's also the most fun too. When the personality and sense of humor starts to take shape, and they start getting interests and such. Also my son does something or says something pretty funny on a daily basis. It's awesome.

On a separate note, heads up new parents there's a big stroller recall for a few Peg Perego models:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12232.html

That's what we got too, it's great. My gf is a nanny so she's tried just about every stroller on the market and says that's the best one.

alphaNoid

Banned
I've heard this as well from my good friend: he got all the way through FFXIII before the kid started crawling and then walking soon thereafter but he's lucky to finish a game these days.

Absolutely true, 100%. I did some of the largest spurts of gaming when my son was a newborn, maybe even more than when I was young and single. I mean I would and could get away with hours and hours straight gaming as he and the wife slept.

As they get older, they start running around. But its that just that, its when they start talking and running as a toddler. "Daddy play, daddy play, daddy play!" from the moment I walk in the door until I go to bed lol.. But I would rather play with my son than play a make believe video game so its ok.

Its just, children consume your time and as they get older you realize you're lucky if you get 1 hour to yourself every day, maybe 2 or 3 if you stay up late after everyone goes to sleep.

edit. Just as I thought I couldn't have any less time, my 2.5 year old starts soccer on monday lol! 2 hour practices 3 days a week and games every saturday.. and to be honest, this is probably for the next several years of his (our) lives. He's playing in U6, with 4 5 and 6 years olds.. and he's only 2.5! We've been working with him for about 6 months and he's already primed and he's excited so we're excited. We are a big soccer family, we have family friends who coach in the LA Galaxy farm system so its very probable our son will come up through the system (if he wants to). That translates into lots of sacrifice as a parent, lots of years of giving up our time for our son.. and honestly? I wouldn't have it any other way.

I had my turn, now its my sons turn and I'll give him my all to support him.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
wife's first night out since the baby was born. IM ALL ALONE WITH THE BABY. HELP ME GAF

I have the opposite problem. Today is my first day back at work and my wife is freaking out. I am the one that can handle the baby at home.

MrMephistoX

Absolutely true, 100%. I did some of the largest spurts of gaming when my son was a newborn, maybe even more than when I was young and single. I mean I would and could get away with hours and hours straight gaming as he and the wife slept.

As they get older, they start running around. But its that just that, its when they start talking and running as a toddler. "Daddy play, daddy play, daddy play!" from the moment I walk in the door until I go to bed lol.. But I would rather play with my son than play a make believe video game so its ok.

Its just, children consume your time and as they get older you realize you're lucky if you get 1 hour to yourself every day, maybe 2 or 3 if you stay up late after everyone goes to sleep.

edit. Just as I thought I couldn't have any less time, my 2.5 year old starts soccer on monday lol! 2 hour practices 3 days a week and games every saturday.. and to be honest, this is probably for the next several years of his (our) lives. He's playing in U6, with 4 5 and 6 years olds.. and he's only 2.5! We've been working with him for about 6 months and he's already primed and he's excited so we're excited. We are a big soccer family, we have family friends who coach in the LA Galaxy farm system so its very probable our son will come up through the system (if he wants to). That translates into lots of sacrifice as a parent, lots of years of giving up our time for our son.. and honestly? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wouldn't have it any other way either really although most of my "free time" after work is going to be reduced to studying for my masters degree lol. Luckily my wife's parents are coming in from China for a couple of months so that will ease the burden somewhat.

DJ_Lae

Never having to refill the tires is a nice bonus

Wait, what? Man, that sounds nice, I have to refill my Elite's tires every few months as they get a bit squishy.

Also it seems from messing around with a new display model (mine is two or three years old at this point) they have a new brake mechanism and the wheel hubs are smaller so the entire stroller is about three inches narrower. That's the only complaint I have with mine, it's tough to fit on a bus when I'm too lazy to walk home.

idYeYvFoe336e.jpg

You can sort of see how each hub pokes out about an inch and a half (for whatever reason, it's not bearings as each wheel assembly is one solid piece). They're good for catching on telephone poles on narrow sidewalks.

I did buy a new style basket and fit it onto mine, the old one didn't have the metal ribs and tended to sag a bit.

Great stroller, though, I cannot even imagine how many kilometers I've put onto it at this point.

DJ_Lae

Yeah my only real gaming time was after everyone else went to bed too. Now, with my girlfriend tending to the newborn and my toddler being as stubborn as hell, I basically have to sit with her as she falls asleep and that usually takes so long I can't be bothered to do anything except go to sleep after.

My only gaming now is a sprinkling of handheld stuff throughout the day. I do miss it, but like you said it's a trade-off and playing with your kids is definitely more fun.

Give it a bottle and get back to gaming, duh.
KuGsj.gif
They are easiest when they are little, despite what people think. Wait until the baby is a toddler, oh joy LOL

Yep, my son is 1.5 years an I've given up on gaming right now.:p

Also, I had some free time to take him to get his haircut the other day... (first one). Now, you see, I thought it would be nice surprise for my wife to come home to a handsomely groomed little boy, but apparently I do not understand the importance of a child's first hair cut lol.

Edit since we are sharing pics

MrMephistoX

Wait, what? Man, that sounds nice, I have to refill my Elite's tires every few months as they get a bit squishy.

Also it seems from messing around with a new display model (mine is two or three years old at this point) they have a new brake mechanism and the wheel hubs are smaller so the entire stroller is about three inches narrower. That's the only complaint I have with mine, it's tough to fit on a bus when I'm too lazy to walk home.

idYeYvFoe336e.jpg

You can sort of see how each hub pokes out about an inch and a half (for whatever reason, it's not bearings as each wheel assembly is one solid piece). They're good for catching on telephone poles on narrow sidewalks.

I did buy a new style basket and fit it onto mine, the old one didn't have the metal ribs and tended to sag a bit.

Great stroller, though, I cannot even imagine how many kilometers I've put onto it at this point.

Definitely a bonus, lots of new subtle add ons in the 2012 model according to this review. I kinda prefer the color scheme on yours though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp35jmQ5V0

My only gaming now is a sprinkling of handheld stuff throughout the day. I do miss it, but like you said it's a trade-off and playing with your kids is definitely more fun.

Wii U selling point? LOL I'm seriously hoping the Gakai thing pans out for Vita for this very reason ;)

At 7-months my daughter is still cemented to the floor but she's doing the freefall pose on her tummy and starting to rock so maybe she'll start crawling soon.

As for game time, right now I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping my attention between her, my wife, my work and my game time balanced. As she becomes more mobile though it'll be interesting to see how my gaming suffers.

DJ_Lae

Definitely a bonus, lots of new subtle add ons in the 2012 model according to this review. I kinda prefer the color scheme on yours though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp35jmQ5V0

Huh, they did change a bit more than I thought. Most of the features are the same but there are some interesting little things like the fabric and mesh top of the basket (mine must be a 2011 basket replacement, and I can completely see how a stretchable opening would be great). They got rid of one window on the top of the hood though, which is weird.

Also weird how she says the stroller has all-wheel suspension. Unless they changed something drastically I can't see that being the case. The only suspension on the back wheels is the slight give the frame itself has.

The new colours aren't quite as interesting as the previous ones either.

And yeah, the WiiU will probably be a good thing for me to own once it comes out as I sure can't play my traditional consoles much.

mrkgoo

I don't see where you get off saying it's 100% true, because it's not the same for everyone.

Top Bottom