• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

Sye d'Burns

Has anyone had any experience with bouncers/recliners that have a vibrating motion? Apparently they can be really great.

We've got a tried and true vibrating rocker that we call the liquefier. I don't know what it is about the thing, but it must be relaxing in more ways than one. Our babies pass(ed) out in it with regularity.

So I'm going to throw this out there and see if it strikes a cord with anyone. My theory is that most parents know what this refers to.

Buttered popcorn.

Has anyone had any experience with bouncers/recliners that have a vibrating motion? Apparently they can be really great.

If you mean the seat they kinda lay back in that vibrates with some toys in front of them, they're great. If by bouncer you mean something they sit in and bounce up and down, we decided to not go that route because of the debate among how the baby develops. You probably mean the former, not the latter given the age of your baby though.

mrkgoo

If you mean the seat they kinda lay back in that vibrates with some toys in front of them, they're great. If by bouncer you mean something they sit in and bounce up and down, we decided to not go that route because of the debate among how the baby develops. You probably mean the former, not the latter given the age of your baby though.

What debate about baby development in bouncers? There's pretty much debate about How a baby develops with practically EVERYTHING.

Also, no idea about buttered popcorn. I don't know where you get your crazy theories. :p. and your contention that babies are easy for most people. No doubt toddlers are difficult (I've seen my friends toddlers), but ugh stayed up until 3:30am this morning. Well, at least I got 4 hours. Which is better than 3. Which is better than 2 (fortunately that hasn't happened since the 'early days’)

Cat Party

That sounds like a jumper, not a bouncer. This is a bouncer:

51IhzyXbfNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And they are great. Definitely a must-have item for your arsenal. Jumpers are pretty meh.

We've got this bouncer:

retro.jpg

No batteries, no motorized bouncing, so even when Addie is in it, we still have to interact with her. We love it, and so does she.

It has three settings, and even turns into a chair when they get older (40 pound weight limit).

ced

Those who are expecting have no idea what the first poop will be like

tar

I've said this before here, if it had an odor I don't think an adult could deal with it. Nastiest stuff I've ever seen. Not to mention the sharting they do with it.

Just turned 5m, baby in a box.

mxlHt.jpg

What debate about baby development in bouncers? There's pretty much debate about How a baby develops with practically EVERYTHING.

There are studies that suggest jumper/bouncers slow down motor development skills and can affect how they learn to move. Nothing concrete either way since it's a debate that goes back and forth and there of course is always moderation and so forth, but we just decided to not go down that path since there wasn't really a necessity to do so. It certainly can be a nice way to put the baby in a secure place while you do stuff, but we were afraid we might become reliant upon it.

Also, no idea about buttered popcorn.

You might be still too early on to know, but you might know soon enough. Some people don't notice it, but to others it's way obvious.

I don't know where you get your crazy theories. :p. and your contention that babies are easy for most people. No doubt toddlers are difficult (I've seen my friends toddlers), but ugh stayed up until 3:30am this morning. Well, at least I got 4 hours. Which is better than 3. Which is better than 2 (fortunately that hasn't happened since the 'early days’)

You just got a more difficult baby. I still contend that easy babies are way more common than they get a rep for. I'm not saying I wasn't up at early hours in the first two months, but for the first 4 to 5 months, as my friend put it, they're just luggage that you take with you everywhere. They don't move, they don't do much. If you've got one that doesn't cry too much other than to indicate they want food or a diaper change, they end up being pretty easy. I think that's more common than people believe.

Fusebox

Banned
We've got this bouncer:

retro.jpg

No batteries, no motorized bouncing, so even when Addie is in it, we still have to interact with her. We love it, and so does she.

It has three settings, and even turns into a chair when they get older (40 pound weight limit).

Thats the same one we got, I like it because it encourages bubs to move a bit to get it bouncing. All the Babybjorn stuff is awesome.

So I'm going to throw this out there and see if it strikes a cord with anyone. My theory is that most parents know what this refers to.

Buttered popcorn.

I have no idea what that refers to.

alphaNoid

Banned
We bought a new double stroller this week in preparation for our daughter coming in a few weeks. Did about 6 months of research, tried out several model and went with ...

2012 Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double
(Bigger head/leg room, hand brakes, pneumatic tires, adjustable handle bar)

og-176_1z.jpg

ced

There are studies that suggest jumper/bouncers slow down motor development skills and can affect how they learn to move. Nothing concrete either way since it's a debate that goes back and forth and there of course is always moderation and so forth, but we just decided to not go down that path since there wasn't really a necessity to do so. It certainly can be a nice way to put the baby in a secure place while you do stuff, but we were afraid we might become reliant upon it.

Damnit now I'm afraid to let her play in her exersaucer and jumper. She loves those things, she only gets about 20 mins a day in them so I guess that would not be harmful, if there is even anything to the studies.

MrMephistoX

We bought a new double stroller this week in preparation for our daughter coming in a few weeks. Did about 6 months of research, tried out several model and went with ...

2012 Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double
(Bigger head/leg room, hand brakes, pneumatic tires, adjustable handle bar)

og-176_1z.jpg

Good choice from what I've heard from friends with twins. We're going for a City Elite (same model just for one baby) after trying it and BOB out side by side: you're making me regret going with red though instead of black! I can totally see where the BOB would be superior for a serious jogger but it's too bulky for everyday use IMHO whereas the City Line is perfect for all terrains. No idea how BOB stacks up to the XE line Baby Joggers pure jogging stroller though.

mrkgoo

You might be still too early on to know, but you might know soon enough. Some people don't notice it, but to others it's way obvious.

You just got a more difficult baby. I still contend that easy babies are way more common than they get a rep for. I'm not saying I wasn't up at early hours in the first two months, but for the first 4 to 5 months, as my friend put it, they're just luggage that you take with you everywhere. They don't move, they don't do much. If you've got one that doesn't cry too much other than to indicate they want food or a diaper change, they end up being pretty easy. I think that's more common than people believe.

Well who knows I just got a fussy baby or you got an easy baby or whatever. I will say, though, is that like i said the parent side of things is important too. And those first few weeks are made extra hectic due to just the hock and inexperience of this sudden change in life style.

As for development and stuff, yeah there's a lot of studies for everything. Nothing is that concrete. That's part of what makes it so tough. one thenin hand they say you need to teach baby not to be reliant on certain things, but on the other hand, crying babies raise cortisol levels and so forth.

I'm faulty easy going, and I read a bung of stuff, but I always take it in stride - try to be reasonable about things. Kind of like hedgin bets:)

MrMephistoX

We've got this bouncer:

retro.jpg

Really interested in the baby bjorn bouncer but I have a fairly active pug. Do you think it's sturdy enough that she wouldn't run the risk of accidentally tipping it over?

Fusebox

Banned
Really interested in the baby bjorn bouncer but I have a fairly active pug. Do you think it's sturdy enough that she wouldn't run the risk of accidentally tipping it over?

I couldnt guarantee it, but I highly doubt it, they're really well designed. My 8 month old gets fairly busy in hers and it's never come anywhere close to tipping. In fact all the Babybjorn stuff we have is top-notch.

MrMephistoX

I couldnt guarantee it, but I highly doubt it, they're really well designed. My 8 month old gets fairly busy in hers and it's never come anywhere close to tipping. In fact all the Babybjorn stuff we have is top-notch.

Thanks! Doesn't seem to be available to test at Babies R Us or Target though but having a baby shower in two weeks so hopefully I'll either get one or get enough returnable items or gift cards to get one for free ;).

Fusebox

Banned
Thanks! Doesn't seem to be available to test at Babies R Us or Target though but having a baby shower in two weeks so hopefully I'll either get one or get enough returnable items or gift cards to get one for free ;).

I got ours from Amazon along with the wooden toy accessory. Even with shipping to Australia it was still cheaper than buying locally.

Here's a snap I took a couple of months back of bubs chilling in her bouncer while I make some tunes:

6807795262_5b3c87bb4c_z.jpg

We got our Bjorn bouncer on a sample site for $90. Can't remember which one.

That's crazy cheap! Good score.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
So a bit past 3 weeks baby is doing great, I am back at work. Baby is easy, but I do have a question:

anyone here deal with postpartum depression? I am getting seriously worried about my wife. I am going to take her to a group meeting for new mothers on the 13th, but I am not sure if this is really what it is. My wife has had problems with depression in the past, and lately she just talks about how she can never go back to how she used to look, how she doesn't deserve to go out and have fun, and it is starting to scare me. Does anyone have any advice?

So a bit past 3 weeks baby is doing great, I am back at work. Baby is easy, but I do have a question:

anyone here deal with postpartum depression? I am getting seriously worried about my wife. I am going to take her to a group meeting for new mothers on the 13th, but I am not sure if this is really what it is. My wife has had problems with depression in the past, and lately she just talks about how she can never go back to how she used to look, how she doesn't deserve to go out and have fun, and it is starting to scare me. Does anyone have any advice?

Take her in. If you're not sure what to do call her doctor and ask. Call your Pediatrician. Anyone. It's pretty serious, my wife had it. She was hallucinating and everything. Crazy stuff. She got through it fine and didn't get it with our second kid.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait until the 13th. The sooner the better. It could be nothing but you know your wife better than any of us. Maybe it's nothing but you should listen to your gut I think.

Good luck.

Fxp

Our second son was born today @ 14:48, it was a little bit easier than the first time for my wife. 3850 g, 51 cm. It was such an emotional moment, even the second time. Cut the umblical cord, got to remember the routine when dealing with newborn. I'm so happy *cognac bottle is almost empy*

This breastfeeding thing is stressful. Takes forever for the little guy to latch on. Hope it gets easier for the wife. Anyone have any tips?

Top Bottom