• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

Eight weeks already? Man that was fast.

ycP61.png

mrkgoo

ycP61.png

Man, cute baby.

Ours has just passed 3 months, and she's suddenly become very fussy again. I mean SUDDENLY. It's like we're back in the first week. I know people say, just when you feel like you're 'getting' it, they change n you, man that's for sure.

But even KNOWING it doesn't prepare you.

It's tough, it's really, really, tough.

Sye d'Burns

ycP61.png

Cute kid with a winning smile and bright eyes.

---

I don't know if you're aware, but bumbos have been recalled.

http://recall.bumbousa.com/determine.php

Bumbo® Baby Seat

August 15, 2012 – Bumbo International Trust is conducting a voluntary recall to add a restraint belt and new warnings to the Bumbo® Baby Seat. Infants can maneuver out of or fall from the seat, posing a risk of serious injuries. Working closely with the CPSC, Bumbo has determined that the potential safety issue can be readily corrected in the home by adding a restraint belt. In addition, Bumbo is providing a new warning sticker for consumers to attach to the seat to re-emphasize existing warnings against use of the seat on any raised surfaces.

Consumers should stop using their Bumbo Baby Seats immediately, and complete the order form to obtain a free Repair Kit. The kit includes a belt with a new warning sticker, installation instructions, proper use instructions and a new warning sticker. There is no need for consumers to return the Bumbo Baby Seats.

Consumers should take the following actions in conjunction with this voluntary recall:

Install and always use the restraint belt.
Apply the new warning sticker over the existing warning on the back of the Bumbo Baby Seat.
Follow all usage instructions and never use the Bumbo Baby Seat on any raised surface.
Discontinue use of Bumbo seat cover accessories that interfere with installation of the restraint belt.

I don't tend to get too bent on these things, personally*, because I feel like, if the child is properly monitored, a vast majority of the incidents could be averted. Still, I figured you might want to know.

*Wife ordered the recall kit.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't tend to get too bent on these things, personally*, because I feel like, if the child is properly monitored, a vast majority of the incidents could be averted. Still, I figured you might want to know.

*Wife ordered the recall kit.

Damn, gotta tell my friends. I tried sitting my bubs in their bumbo but my bubs has massive thunder thighs and the bumbo was pressing too tight on them so we didn't get her one.

The Bumbo recall is stupid, they're meant to placed on the floor, not on tables or other surfaces off the floor. There should never have been a recall.

Hello,

I'm looking for advice regarding a night light. When my son was born the hospital advised to keep at least one light on (brighter than a typical night light). Mainly because we can easily see the baby throughout the night. So keep a small ikea light with a low power bulb. It works great for easily seeing the baby but both my wife and I are dark room sleepers. So we've been thinking of switching to a typical night light. But is that safe?

What do others Gaffers do?

Yes, the baby sleeps in the same room as us. And our baby is almost 5 months old.

Any advice is appreciated.

merzbow? haha awesome.
Bits of 1930, rainbow electronics. Nothing too harsh. :p he also gets oval on occasion.

The Bumbo recall is stupid, they're meant to placed on the floor, not on tables or other surfaces off the floor. There should never have been a recall.
Yeah, my son had one for a bit, though he grew out of it quickly as he has meaty legs. He was able to tip it over with inertia alone, so I'm not sure a belt would have really solved the problem for us, it would have likely made it worse, since he seems to like challenging escape artistry heh.

MrMephistoX

Looking for some advice our OB is pretty insistent that whooping cough is at epidemic levels in the NW and that anyone including close friends should get vaccinated. Our other friends doctor wasn't quite as worried so they don't believe they need to get the shot. My wife is so freaked out right now that she doesn't want to let our friends visit unless they get vaccinated and I am torn between taking all precautions or possibly ruining our friendship. This sucks but I'm not sure to be worried about Whooping cough or the friendship.

Looking for some advice our OB is pretty insistent that whooping cough is at epidemic levels in the NW and that anyone including close friends should get vaccinated. Our other friends doctor wasn't quite as worried so they don't believe they need to get the shot. My wife is so freaked out right now that she doesn't want to let our friends visit unless they get vaccinated and I am torn between taking all precautions or possibly ruining our friendship. This sucks but I'm not sure to be worried about Whooping cough or the friendship.

I think that I would talk to my friends and tell them what the Dr. said and explain that your wife is freaking out. Let them make the decision but for me, I would ultimately side with my wife, not because of the whooping cough but because she's my wife. That's me though. Your friends should understand.

GTI Guy

If they are truly your friends they would get the shot. It's no skin of their back, they should have it anyways and your child's safety is at risk.

Hello,

I'm looking for advice regarding a night light. When my son was born the hospital advised to keep at least one light on (brighter than a typical night light). Mainly because we can easily see the baby throughout the night. So keep a small ikea light with a low power bulb. It works great for easily seeing the baby but both my wife and I are dark room sleepers. So we've been thinking of switching to a typical night light. But is that safe?

Wow that is odd advice, we never received that. We co-slept so if anything would happen we'd know right away, we wouldn't be able to sleep with a light on.

My wife is so freaked out right now that she doesn't want to let our friends visit unless they get vaccinated and I am torn between taking all precautions or possibly ruining our friendship. This sucks but I'm not sure to be worried about Whooping cough or the friendship.

If it comes down to it, kids >>>> friends IMHO. If they don't understand, too bad.

Personally ever since I entered parenthood, I find it hard to relate to childless friends and vice versa (nothing like getting parenting advice/criticism from people who don't have any kids of their own)

MrMephistoX

I'm really glad that I have childless friends. Gives me perspective. They're also not dicks who give criticism, which helps.

I think the main issue was the way my wife phrased it coupled with the fact that she asked our friend to get the vaccine over text basically implying "if you don't get vaccinated you can't see our baby". They have kids themselves and since my friend's wife just became a citizen the tdap vaccine is actually required so she likely already got the shot: I think the ultimatum just wasn't the right approach + our friend is an engineer and engineers are kind of odd ducks socially speaking so pretty sure things got blown out of proportion because of the medium rather than the message. Our friends are not dicks in the slightest but I can see how they might have been rubbed the wrong way.

Hey, dudes. My first dependent is expected around December 10th.

What is the advice on strollers? Do you use a stand-alone one? Do you use a frame that you pop the car seat into? Do you find yourself lugging the stroller around frequently, or does it usually just go in the trunk of the car?

I went to a baby megamart today, and I'm kinda unhappy with the designs. They're all extremely cumbersome and bulky. Just wondering how my wife is going to wield one of these bad boys if she happens to go on a walk by herself...

If this has been discussed before, around what page? Thanks.

What is the advice on strollers? Do you use a stand-alone one? Do you use a frame that you pop the car seat into?

We used this for the longest time. It's the best option IMO to not wake the baby when they're sleeping. We no longer can do this since she's outgrown this style of setup, but ya I wouldn't recommend it any other way. You can do a stand alone when they get older, but when they're newborn, get the frame that you pop the seat into. You'll find it invaluable not having to remove your baby from the car seat in so many ways.

Do you find yourself lugging the stroller around frequently, or does it usually just go in the trunk of the car?

For us it would just stay in the trunk of the car that we currently are using. So it's always in a trunk while in the garage, and we switch if we take a different car for whatever reason.

I went to a baby megamart today, and I'm kinda unhappy with the designs. They're all extremely cumbersome and bulky. Just wondering how my wife is going to wield one of these bad boys if she happens to go on a walk by herself...

A lot of people here seem to like the more expensive and fancy strollers, but I highly highly recommend the Graco SnugRider frame. We originally had gone with a more expensive travel all in one setup, and also looked at the expensive strollers. We even had bought a whole setup but returned it after someone suggested that it might not be worth it and pointed us toward the Graco SnugRider frame. We even had sorta laughed at how cheap it looked when we first were looking at strollers. It turns out we were foolish and it really is one of the best decisions we made by switching.

1) It's super light and compact so it's easy for someone to pick it up and stow it away in a trunk or elsewhere.
2) It has a lot of space in the basket to hold and carry stuff either for the baby or even to be used as a small shopping cart
3) It has cup holders
4) It's maneuvers extremely well and corners very tightly for easy navigation
5) It's way more sturdy than it may seem or looks
6) It's way cheaper than the other options and really this option is only going to last you for the first year at the most anyway, so it's going to be short term anyway

10895115_28798772_trimmed.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007KMUH4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MrMephistoX

What is the advice on strollers? Do you use a stand-alone one? Do you use a frame that you pop the car seat into? Do you find yourself lugging the stroller around frequently, or does it usually just go in the trunk of the car?

13-16. I'm kind of biased to the Baby Jogger / City series due to the versatility. I just can't see owning a Bob for Jogging and a Graco or something for every day use so I like the fact that Baby Jogger has in between multipurpose lines like City Elite and City Mini. It really depends on the terrain of your neighborhood. Plus resale value is key for me: I'm going to own the thing for 5-6 years by the time we're on kid number two so I'd prefer to have something that holds up.

Fusebox

Banned

I got the Bugaboo Chameleon:

http://www.bugaboo.com/377

I chose it a for a few reasons...

Chunky oversize back wheels and suspension on the front wheels make stair-hopping a breeze. I hate strollers with tiny wheels.

It comes with a capsule for newborn which can be carried separately if you need to let bubs sleep somewhere while you're out, and then converts to a seat later, the seat can be up for when bubs is awake or reclined for when bubs is asleep.

It steers like a dream.

On the other hand, it's a relatively large stroller but we have a sedan so it isn't an issue for us and having all the extra storage space underneath the stroller is a plus.

Don't skimp on a cheap stroller though, your missus will hate using it and you'll probably just end up upgrading it as a result.

A lot of people here seem to like the more expensive and fancy strollers, but I highly highly recommend the Graco SnugRider frame. We originally had gone with a more expensive travel all in one setup, and also looked at the expensive strollers. We even had bought a whole setup but returned it after someone suggested that it might not be worth it and pointed us toward the Graco SnugRider frame. We even had sorta laughed at how cheap it looked when we first were looking at strollers. It turns out we were foolish and it really is one of the best decisions we made by switching.

1) It's super light and compact so it's easy for someone to pick it up and stow it away in a trunk or elsewhere.
2) It has a lot of space in the basket to hold and carry stuff either for the baby or even to be used as a small shopping cart
3) It has cup holders
4) It's maneuvers extremely well and corners very tightly for easy navigation
5) It's way more sturdy than it may seem or looks
6) It's way cheaper than the other options and really this option is only going to last you for the first year at the most anyway, so it's going to be short term anyway

10895115_28798772_trimmed.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007KMUH4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
We got one of these and it is FANTASTIC, one of the best things we've bought.

Selner

13-16. I'm kind of biased to the Baby Jogger / City series due to the versatility. I just can't see owning a Bob for Jogging and a Graco or something for every day use so I like the fact that Baby Jogger has in between multipurpose lines like City Elite and City Mini. It really depends on the terrain of your neighborhood. Plus resale value is key for me: I'm going to own the thing for 5-6 years by the time we're on kid number two so I'd prefer to have something that holds up.

We have the City Mini as well, and with the adapter the KeyFit 30 car seat fits in just fine.
You can even take all the fabric off the City Mini, which makes it lighter (it's already pretty light).

Having a seperate frame for an infant stroller seems a little odd to me, when there are infant seat adapters. I would rather get a multiple use item.

Even better, we borrowed the infant adapter from my brother-in-law so we didn't even need to pay for that.

We had a Bugaboo Frog and the thing that I really didn't like about it was having to take it apart and put it together every time I put in the car. After doing it for a year or so it got old. I like those strollers that collapse with the flick of a switch. I'm not sure if the new Bugaboo's do that.

MrMephistoX

We have the City Mini as well, and with the adapter the KeyFit 30 car seat fits in just fine.
You can even take all the fabric off the City Mini, which makes it lighter (it's already pretty light).

Having a seperate frame for an infant stroller seems a little odd to me, when there are infant seat adapters. I would rather get a multiple use item.

Even better, we borrowed the infant adapter from my brother-in-law so we didn't even need to pay for that.

Really I didn't know you could remove the fabric completely might have to try that with our Elite. Like I've said previously I'd have gotten the Mini if we had even terrain in my neighborhood: the Elites a better fit for hills, hiking and if you want to do some light jogging.

RSP

a33e0c52ed4e11e1b2c322000a1e9e1f_7.jpg

Finn is almost 6 months old. Waking us up to play at 7am, and making noises to get attention from his mom. I love our little guy.

Selner

Really I didn't know you could remove the fabric completely might have to try that with our Elite. Like I've said previously I'd have gotten the Mini if we had even terrain in my neighborhood: the Elites a better fit for hills, hiking and if you want to do some light jogging.

Yeah, my wife discovered this actually. There are a ton of buttons all over the thing. Unbutton them all and the fabric comes off. I only had a little difficulty getting them back on.

MrMephistoX

My boy is out!

Forrest came at 4:17am on 08/30
20,75"
8lbs 4oz

Yay!!!

Congrats I'll be joining you in a week. Nice thing about a C-Section certainly takes some of the anxiety out of where and when she's going to pop out ;)

Now a question for Gary Whitta and others using Honest diapers. I just ordered the tester kit but am still not sure if the $79.99 subscription is worth it compared to amazon subscription with my Mom and Prime Discount. Honest gives you something like 300 diapers in the monthly bundle with wipes vs 144 count for Seventh Generation on Amazon at $38 a month. If 300 diapers are needed then Honest is a fairly good deal but if you realistically only need 140 and maybe a pack or two picked up in store I'm not sure if Honest is giving out too much in the bundle lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hah checking in at 2:45, living up this thread title. Poor wife can't sleep through a single fuss from this baby, looks like we're sleeping downstairs tonight.

GlamFM

Banned
Oh we have a thread for this!?

GAF never disappoints..

My daughter was born 4 month ago, preemie, should have been in there 8 more weeks.

It was very dramatic - mother and child almost didn´t make it, but as of now everything is going fine.

Kid develops at the right pace and we have our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Of course we are very afraid of every doctors appointment because we are always scared he "finds something"..

Parenthood - seems stressful so far.

On the sleepless front, my 8 month old Abby decided that she was going to start waking up from 2am until 4 or 6am. It was like that every damn night for nearly a month. My wife or I would wake up with her. We tried feeding her, changing her, rocking her etc. It was hell.:( There's nothing like going to work with 2-3 hours of sleep. Mind you, this is a child that slept 9-10 hours a night uninterrupted since she was two months old up until this point! Since she didn't sleep well at night, she was absolutely miserable during day. Fussy, whiny and refusing to nap.

We took her in for a doctors appointment to make sure there was nothing health related going on. She was as healthy as a kid can be and really the only thing was her teething which we went through with our first and it's pretty apparent to us when her teeth are bothering her because she chomps her her lip often if that was the issue (she wasn't doing this when she woke up at night).

Finally last week, I had had about enough and decided to give the Ferber method a try after doing some extensive reading on the subject. The first two nights were somewhat tough in that it's REALLY hard not to want to pick up your child and console them but we went in every 5, 7, and then 10 minutes to pat her back or tummy and tell her everything was ok. The first night she cried for about 40 minutes. She woke up at 2am again and cried for about another 30 (we'd start the clock for when to come in and soothe her) before falling asleep but then she slept the rest of the night. The second night was a bit worse in that she cried for nearly an hour when we put her down and she woke up at 3am and 5am but something wonderful happened at 5am....I went in to pat her bottom and soothe he and she was asleep by the time I left the room!

Nights 3, 4 and 5 were wonderful. She slept all night along. Last night was her sixth night and she unfortunately has a bit of a cold so she's running a slight fever but much to my surprise she only stirred for about 5 minutes with a minimal bit of fuss and slept straight through.

My wife and I have a good routine now. We put her down at about 8pm in her crib while she's awake and she plays in there for about 10 minutes until she puts herself to sleep and she usually wakes up at about 7:30-8:00am. Sometimes earlier depending on her mood. It's like night and day from where we were for a month. Mommy and Daddy and most importantly the baby are a good deal happier!

Gaf I have something to confess. When we vacuum my 8-month old always gets scared and cries. I’m sure it’s normal. Yesterday as my wife was vacuuming the living room and I had the bright idea of breaking her of this fear of the vacuum. I put her next to the vacuum as it’s running and she freaks out. So I back away but keep her in the same room. I slowly get closer and closer. Then we turned it off and continued to get closer to it. After about 10 minutes she was not afraid of the vacuum anymore and laughed when I had her drum it with her hands. She even grabbed a snack off of it.

Then I had the genius idea to turn it back on and we were back at square one. I didn’t want to traumatize her any longer so I took her in the other room and calmed her down. Hopefully she won’t be as afraid of it next time we vacuum, but I’m never doing that again. I think I should just let time and age cure her fears of the vacuum. I probably shouldn’t have tried to force it.

GlamFM

Banned

GAF never disappoints..

My daughter was born 4 month ago, preemie, should have been in there 8 more weeks.

It was very dramatic - mother and child almost didn´t make it, but as of now everything is going fine.

Kid develops at the right pace and we have our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Of course we are very afraid of every doctors appointment because we are always scared he "finds something"..

Apparently I need photo proof. GAF, my girls:

fveJ1.jpg

GAF never disappoints..

My son was 6 weeks early and had no problems with his development. Looks like both of them are doing great so I wouldn't worry.

220px-Well-clothed_baby.jpg

Cutest baby ever.
4Ap3W.jpg

Top Bottom