• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

eso76

The key is to accept your life is different, not worse. Your priorities change, and you have to adapt.

That's true.
You don't really understand that until he or she arrives.
You do worry that your life won't be the same, that you won't be able to travel or have time for yourself etc.
What you don't realize is you won't care because you'll have more important, rewarding things to take care of.

mrkgoo

That's true.
You don't really understand that until he or she arrives.
You do worry that your life won't be the same, that you won't be able to travel or have time for yourself etc.
What you don't realize is you won't care because you'll have more important, rewarding things to take care of.
Exactly.

Something I've noticed about babies and advice - everyone's experiences are true. But you don't really understand until you through it. Even if you think you get it, it's not te same until you live it.

Three months!

9R6eA.jpg

Sweet! How is everyone doing? Mum, dad, bub?

We've passed 4 months. Feeding can be ough, and baby doesn't want to sleep most of the time causing her to be over tired. It can be really tough.
Wait until the teething starts. Fussy, won't eat, won't sleep. My 9-month old has 8 teeth in now so hopefully that's the last of it for a while.

mrkgoo

Wait until the teething starts. Fussy, won't eat, won't sleep. My 9-month old has 8 teeth in now so hopefully that's the last of it for a while.

When does it start? Maybe we're getting the early stages?

She doesn't like feeding or sleeping, strange cycle of too tired to eat, too hungry to sleep.

She doesn't like feeding or sleeping, strange cycle of too tired to eat, too hungry to sleep.
She started teething at 6-months, but while we were visiting my wife's family I was shown pictures of my wife at 4-months and she already had a tooth so it could start at least that early.

And once you see that little white sliver in her gums, the next couple of days the tooth will already be fully in. It's really quick.

The way it happened for us was one bottom tooth, then another bottom about a week later. About a month later a top and another bottom and then everything else all at once.

mrkgoo

She started teething at 6-months, but while we were visiting my wife's family I was shown pictures of my wife at 4-months and she already had a tooth so it could start at least that early.

And once you see that little white sliver in her gums, the next couple of days the tooth will already be fully in. It's really quick.

The way it happened for us was one bottom tooth, then another bottom about a week later. About a month later a top and another bottom and then everything else all at once.

Ah man, thanks. We'll keep a look out!

Parenting is nuts. Things change so rapidly and at the drop of a hat. There's no real measure of how well you're doing. Feels like you're in the dark, yet it's the job you want more than anything else to excel at.

We've passed 4 months. Feeding can be ough, and baby doesn't want to sleep most of the time causing her to be over tired. It can be really tough.

Are you certain it's not reflux? Baby might not want to sleep laying down because it burns and obviously feeding will be painful.

I'd get it checked to see if that'll help.

Parenting is nuts. Things change so rapidly and at the drop of a hat. There's no real measure of how well you're doing. Feels like you're in the dark, yet it's the job you want more than anything else to excel at.
With the internet and friends and family who have been through it before, you shouldn't feel lost with the majority of parenting, at least this early.

I figure, she's alive, gaining weight, growing, learning, exposed to different sights, touches, taste and smells, I spend time with her, play with her, squeeze and kiss her, make her laugh and hold her when she's scared, I am doing ok. I can't imagine what more a baby needs than that.

Well...once we're able to afford a crib, she won't need to sleep in the Tupperware container that we slide underneath the bed. The wife suggesting to poke holes in the lid was a good idea though.

mrkgoo

Are you certain it's not reflux? Baby might not want to sleep laying down because it burns and obviously feeding will be painful.

I'd get it checked to see if that'll help.

Good point. We'll have to keep it in mind. She does seem to do better when we do small bursts. Thanks.

With the internet and friends and family who have been through it before, you shouldn't feel lost with the majority of parenting, at least this early.

I figure, she's alive, gaining weight, growing, learning, exposed to different sights, touches, taste and smells, I spend time with her, play with her, squeeze and kiss her, make her laugh and hold her when she's scared, I am doing ok. I can't imagine what more a baby needs than that.

Well...once we're able to afford a crib, she won't need to sleep in the Tupperware container that we slide underneath the bed. The wife suggesting to poke holes in the lid was a good idea though.

:)

I do feel lost sometimes, though. I want to do better, but the toughness can get the better of me at times. Makes me feel like a terrible husband and father. A terrible person.

But I know that we have to hang in there. My wife is doing such a great job, I just feel like a tool at times.

choodi

Banned
First night at home with the little one.

Really tough to begin with, but finally got some sleep and feel just able to function properly.

Just had to inject my partner with a syringe for the first time. Fuck me if that wasn't one of the most stressful things ever!

Our girl had her first tooth pop out just days after she turned five months old. For us, and I know we're lucky, she took teething really well. In fact, for the first tooth, had we not seen something in her mouth, we would have had no idea she was teething. It just sorta appeared out of nowhere. In the later stages, we'd see a lot of drool suddenly for new teeth which was our sign she was about to get another tooth. So I know my experience won't help as much other than to know it doesn't have to be painful and that it can happen pretty early so it's possible she could be on the cusp, but teething is only a couple of days, not weeks.

I think you put too much pressure on yourself. It's great to strive well, but if you keep pushing yourself like this, you're going to snap from pressure that doesn't exist other than what you're doing to yourself. Take a step back and look at the big picture.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My wife is pregnant again, we are going to have 2 under 2. Excited and scared at the same time, one thing for sure it is going to be pretty crazy.

mrkgoo

Our girl had her first tooth pop out just days after she turned five months old. For us, and I know we're lucky, she took teething really well. In fact, for the first tooth, had we not seen something in her mouth, we would have had no idea she was teething. It just sorta appeared out of nowhere. In the later stages, we'd see a lot of drool suddenly for new teeth which was our sign she was about to get another tooth. So I know my experience won't help as much other than to know it doesn't have to be painful and that it can happen pretty early so it's possible she could be on the cusp, but teething is only a couple of days, not weeks.

I think you put too much pressure on yourself. It's great to strive well, but if you keep pushing yourself like this, you're going to snap from pressure that doesn't exist other than what you're doing to yourself. Take a step back and look at the big picture.

I'm really not pushing myself that hard, though. I'm the type to make a mountain out of a molehill, unfortunately. I don,t think I will suddenly snap. Just gradually crumble. I,m such an irritable person at the moment. But I will keep going, if there's any ambition in my life, it's this.

deadlast

First night at home with the little one.

Really tough to begin with, but finally got some sleep and feel just able to function properly.

Just had to inject my partner with a syringe for the first time. Fuck me if that wasn't one of the most stressful things ever!
sleep is for the weak.
welcome to parenthood

sleep is for the weak.
welcome to parenthood

My kid is 13 months and this is still true.

Lately he wakes up a lot from nightmares or night terrors and I have to spend a fair bit of time getting him back to sleep. I really thought this kind of stuff would have ended by now but it seems the answer is no.

Ezio

Gavin is just about 6 months old now. We're in the teething phase and have been for a few weeks. Pretty stressful times. Found out he had double ear infections from teething so he's been on Amox for about 7 days now. Working good, except for now his butt looks like a baboons =\ It's getting better though. Sleeping about 6-7hrs at a time for now...

deadlast

My kid is 13 months and this is still true.

Lately he wakes up a lot from nightmares or night terrors...
hopefully he never experiences growing pains. my oldest (just turned 4) had a lot of those this past year. the kid woke up in lots pain and I had to rub his legs to help him go back to sleep.

I'm really not pushing myself that hard, though. I'm the type to make a mountain out of a molehill, unfortunately. I don,t think I will suddenly snap. Just gradually crumble. I,m such an irritable person at the moment. But I will keep going, if there's any ambition in my life, it's this.

I didn't mean snap outright, but eventually break. Gradually crumble is the same thing in the end. Take a step back and look at things from a higher level. There's not as much reason to worry or stress about as you may think there is.

My son will be 3 months on Oct 6th and so far so good. We put him to bed around 10:30 - 11 PM and he usually sleeps until 4 to be fed and then sleeps until 7. We are breastfeeding.

Recently he has been sleeping until 6 to feed and then sleeps until 10ish. He's getting too big for his bed in our room so it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to his own room.

Fatherhood is pretty amazing. And man, do babies grow so fast.

Rich!

My daughter's due in three weeks now. All is going well, but I just found out that our local hospital doesn't allow any visitors if the mother is kept in overnight after birth.

That includes the father. I'd be forced to leave at 8pm and wouldn't be allowed to enter again until 10am the next day.

We only know this because a friend had their baby delivered last night, and there were complications. The mother lost a huge amount of blood and was in a bad state, and the father STILL wasn't allowed to stay overnight with her.

Is this standard procedure? Because its fucked up.

England, btw.

My daughter's due in three weeks now. All is going well, but I just found out that our local hospital doesn't allow any visitors if the mother is kept in overnight after birth.

That includes the father. I'd be forced to leave at 8pm and wouldn't be allowed to enter again until 10am the next day.

We only know this because a friend had their baby delivered last night, and there were complications. The mother lost a huge amount of blood and was in a bad state, and the father STILL wasn't allowed to stay overnight with her.

England, btw.

Wait what? In England, you give birth and go home immediately afterward? Here, you stay for a couple days then go home. I stayed the entire time.

Rich!

Wait what? In England, you give birth and go home immediately afterward? Here, you stay for a couple days then go home. I stayed the entire time.

As long as the baby is fine and the mothers well, yeah. You go home later that day.

They then send out a nurse to visit you at home, and the midwife visits too.

If there are complications or if its a C section then the stay is longer. Like, 3 days I think.

I actually liked staying for a bit afterward cuz it helped us get our bearings and a feel for things. Most of the nurses were really helpful so it was a nice way of easing us in to taking care of our girl. They even had an option to take care of the baby for a few hours if we felt we needed a break to get some rest. Definitely worthwhile for us having our first.

Everytime we got Addie changed and fed during the night, a nurse would come in and check on us 30 minutes later. Being able to go home and not have someone coming in every 45 minutes really helped.

mrkgoo

England, btw.

In NZ, it's the same, at least at our hospital.

The father can stay during the birth, even if it's over night, but once birth, father can't stay over night. Father has slightly extended visiting hours, however.

And visiting hours are pretty limited. Believe me, this, that's a good thing. The hospital isle were at was typically 3-4 mothers per room, separated by curtains. Last thing you want when trying to latch a difficult newborn is the next space with half a dozen loud people with camera flashes or kids.

In NZ, it's the same, at least at our hospital.

The father can stay during the birth, even if it's over night, but once birth, father can't stay over night. Father has slightly extended visiting hours, however.

And visiting hours are pretty limited. Believe me, this, that's a good thing. The hospital isle were at was typically 3-4 mothers per room, separated by curtains. Last thing you want when trying to latch a difficult newborn is the next space with half a dozen loud people with camera flashes or kids.

Wow, I feel so spoiled. We got our own private room for the duration which I believe was 3 nights total and the baby stayed with us in the room after she was born. I stayed the entire time except for the brief period when I went home to take a shower and to take care of a few things at home.

Cat Party

For my first kid, we stayed in the hospital for two nights, and the idea of going home was overwhelming for both of us. Like, how the hell are we supposed to know what to do? It was really hard for me for about 2 weeks to adapt. With the second, I didn't even stay the night at the hospital. My wife was basically like "I got this." Then we went home the next day. Such a different experience when you've done it before.

mrkgoo

Wow, I feel so spoiled. We got our own private room for the duration which I believe was 3 nights total and the baby stayed with us in the room after she was born. I stayed the entire time except for the brief period when I went home to take a shower and to take care of a few things at home.

Hooray for public health system?

Actually, we had the option to go to a birthing clinic afterwards, which does allow the father to stay.

We actually got a pirate room for the first night, because we had complications.
We also get a lot of after care from plunket. And child health care is completely subsidised until age 6.

And we get free infant car seats in our city!

For a second I thought I was reading a post that I made months ago and forgot about. This is exactly how it went down for us as well. It was strange coming back to an empty house with wife and baby back at the hospital.

I need an umbrella stroller at this point, our current one takes up 90% of the trunk space in our sedan, leaving little room for anything. That or I buy a van or SUV.

Apparently no. We're supposed to start right now once a day to get her used to it.

Hmm everything I read before, and doing a quick search says not to introduce solids until around 4-6 months and preferably closer to the 6 month mark. It sounds like you introduced it before they were 3 months old. That's why I was wondering if it was too early.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solid-food_113.bc
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/readyforsolids.htm
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/baby-food-nutrition-9/starting-solid-food
http://www.who.int/features/qa/21/en/index.html

mrkgoo

This is an older pic of my youngan when he was about that age if not a little older

Ha, I just ave that exact same toy to a friend for their newborn. We have the same brand yellow dog version, and our baby loves it.

re:age
Yeah, I thought she looked young for solids, which is why I asked. On all accounts, I've been told 4 months to 6 months, as Marty said. They give signs , like being extremely note rested in watching you at, sticking stuff in her mouth, chewing actions etc. also, they need to be able to sit up more and hold their head up.

But not to scare you, I think there are no rules. Apparently my sister was on solids at 4 weeks. And I was fed cow's milk.

Top Bottom