• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
some dude on reddit it was a while ago. he said Phil wanted to sell the nexbox at a loss but was shutdown and now the nexbox doubles as a server blade has a ton of cloud stuff FP64 and other stuff.
Nah. When rumor has info on die sizes for 2 consoles, VR2, exclusive launch titles, 3rd party titles such as GTAVI etc. you can be sure it is BS.

There is not a person in the world that knows pletheora of that info.

LordOfChaos

Oh yeah, forgot about Stadia's 10.7 tf.

If Google's gadget has almost 11 tf, there is not way Scarlett and PS5 have less.

Googles is running on a serverized Vega 56, Navi CUs are larger for the extra IPC. Even at 9TF it would be more powerful than one Stadia instance.

Will the number matter for marketing, sure, I guess, but it's like bragging about a 5GHz Bulldozer, the number is one thing but the results will speak for themselves and comparison tests are all the rage among core gamers, and those core gamers inform and attract the more casual crowd. More casual players will be less inclined to care about the number anyways.

DanielsM

Banned
You just create a thin-client, basically a dummy box to where you can hookup accessories like headphones, mice, controllers, etc. There shouldn't be much to develop as the box should be bare bones processor wise or it defeats the whole purpose of streaming. The thing is, console gaming is generally quite cheap, bought my nieces almost 2.5 years ago a PS4 slim plus UC4 for $215. A thin-client plus a controller is still going to cost you $90-120.

Nothing different than what has been done in virtual desktops for ages now.

Googles is running on a serverized Vega 56, Navi CUs are larger for the extra IPC. Even at 9TF it would be more powerful than one Stadia instance.

Will the number matter for marketing, sure, I guess, but it's like bragging about a 5GHz Bulldozer, the number is one thing but the results will speak for themselves and comparison tests are all the rage among core gamers, and those core gamers inform and attract the more casual crowd. More casual players will be less inclined to care about the number anyways.

Visible results may not be enough though if demonstrating just cross gen titles. Let's hope there's something impressive waiting in the wings.

The mid gen refreshes are going to make selling the new consoles using the power angle a bit tricky.

Assuming both are "just" 12tf...😢
  • PS4 Pro 4.2tf to 12tf = 2.86x
  • XOX 6tf to 12tf = 2x

A power marketing angle is going to need a big navi number put down on the table that smashes expectations to move the needle.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got some hot footage of Stadia from inside sources...
giphy.gif

PS5 and Scarlett inside info...
giphy.gif

Visible results may not be enough though if demonstrating just cross gen titles. Let's hope there's something impressive waiting in the wings.

The mid gen refreshes are going to make selling the new consoles using the power angle a bit tricky.

• XOX 6tf to 12tf = 2x

A power marketing angle is going to need a big navi number put down on the table that smashes expectations to move the needle.
they gonna switch focus on SSD & CPU
Demonstrating speed and calculations (simulation) process power, im not worried at all, next gen gonna be game changing even if it's between 10 tf - 12 tf (gcn)

LordOfChaos

• XOX 6tf to 12tf = 2x

It's the same hole Intel had to dig themselves out of after pushing the MHz myth for so long when it benefited them, but in the end they can just market real gain vs focusing on the Tflop number. The core will get it, the casuals will just see the marketing anyways.

SonGoku

Yeah Gonzalo could be the PS5 right there. It's funny but as someone already said this is starting to feel a little like Durango all over again.
Gonzalo just doesn't make sense imo, also the name Gonzalo is completely out of character for Sony
Except its actual codename fits Sony perfectly, and not MS. I already posted screenshots of actual dies with these codenames.
That's precisely why its so easy to fake to make the leak look more believable
Not to mention nobody fully understands how to decode the first 3 characters and can be completely unrelated to any internal Sony codename
Additionally, Ariel is not Xbox and Gonzalo is directly tied to Ariel, so I just cannot see how can this be Xbox?
Except Ariel isn't tied to Sony nor PS5 by any info or leak just komachi speculation
what happened to 1.8GHz gonzalo ? (best leaked contender)
It doesn't make sense, clocks are to high for a console on 7nm DUV
all of this GCN of course, just to be clear on that
How can that be GCN if you are using RDNA...
So...while it might be disappointing to some people, its still ~12TF Vega
Vega was really bottlenecked by its frontend in games which is why there wasn't a massive improvement over Polaris even though it doubled floating point throughput. That isn't impressive by any metric
12TF Vega =/ 2x XBONEX

Last edited:
Gonzalo just doesn't make sense imo, also the name Gonzalo is completely out of character for Sony

Not to mention nobody fully understands how to decode the first 3 characters and can be completely unrelated to any internal Sony codename

It doesn't make sense, clocks are to high for a console on 7nm DUV

How can that be GCN if you are using RDNA...

AMD could have named it, APISAK said that G stands for gaming (console) even AMD APU's are D (desktop), isn't 7nm more power efficient ?, i know next gen is RDNA 1, people are used to GCN calculation, i dont want them to get confused.

R600

Banned
Gonzalo is the funniest name ever and i always thought it was a fishy from the get go. Dont know why people are so invested in it. Like. PS4 was orbis, ps move as arc. gonzalo just dont fit sony lol imo.
Gonzalo is not system codename, its APU codename.

PS4 APU codename was Thebe btw.

Ariel should be system codename which does sound right out of Sonys playbook if you really want to go by how codename sounds. But it also might be similar to Thebe and be actual Sony codename for APU with Gonzalo being AMDs codename.

People are invested in it because its pretty much by far best thing we have. In sea of BS "my father works at Nintendo and PS5 die size is 435mm²" pastebins, we have a no bs kind of guy that prompted DF to write article about leak which they, themselves, think its legit.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
It can be anything, maybe its even a gaming APU AMD will sell to gaming laptops manufacturers, the 1.6Ghz base clock would fit power saving modes
D - Desktop
G - Console
M - Mobile (laptop)
S - Server
E - Embedded

Its certainly not laptop nor its desktop. Btw there wont be 1.8GHZ Navi 10 and 8 core Zen in desktop or mobile APU anytime soon.

I think 1.6 is not even 1.6. its 2G1600 (other Sony codenames where G1000, G1100, G1300 etc.).

MS had G3100, G4200, G5700 etc.

Subor Z had mix of numbers and letters.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Gonzalo is the funniest name ever and i always thought it was a fishy from the get go. Dont know why people are so invested in it. Like. PS4 was orbis, ps move as arc. gonzalo just dont fit sony lol imo.

But then MS was also using names like Xenos and Xenon (360) before arriving to Durango (Durango) XBone.

Probably not wise to attach too much relevance to the name.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

What a waste of making a console, when you can just have an app on everything like everyone else is and will be doing.

You don’t need dedicated hardware for streaming, hell Sony TVs themselves used to before they removed it.

Not to mention I would not want to see them going in so hard with streaming (even though we all know they want nothing more than pure subscription models for all versus dedicated native physical).

Munki

D - Desktop
G - Console
M - Mobile (laptop)
S - Server
E - Embedded

Its certainly not laptop nor its desktop. Btw there wont be 1.8GHZ Navi 10 and 8 core Zen in desktop or mobile APU anytime soon.

I think 1.6 is not even 1.6. its 2G1600 (other Sony codenames where G1000, G1100, G1300 etc.).

MS had G3100, G4200, G5700 etc.

Subor Z had mix of numbers and letters.

Where did you see “G - Console”?

It definitely wasn’t here.

Last edited:

SonGoku

But then MS was also using names like Xenos and Xenon (360) before arriving to Durango (Durango) XBone.
Its a Hispanic name though, even discarding past names its out of character for Sony.
No, Gonzalo sounds like great hardware.
Its not really lol no matter how its spinned
ts certainly not laptop nor its desktop. Btw there wont be 1.8GHZ Navi 10 and 8 core Zen in desktop or mobile APU anytime soon.
Could be an off the shelf gaming APU AMD sells to multiple companies for their gaming oriented products (laptops, media box etc)
Case in point this chip which the SuborZ is based on made the rounds Computex 18
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62107/amd-fenghuang-15ff-faster-rx-vega-gh-rocks-2gb-hbm2/index.html

Compare that to the SuborZ final chip
It is based on the Zen 2 decoder Apisak originally tweeted

Connections to PS5 are wild speculation at best based on two numbers that could be anything

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Sounds like it can handle higher resolutions better, no?

Because of the particle physics score? Not particularly related, that would be bound by fill rate (ROP and bandwidth end) instead. Particle physics would mean more on screen GPGPU effects like dust and ember, destructible environments with each part with physics, etc.

The physics score is an absolute standout against anything though, even a 2080TI. interesting implications for next gen!

Last edited:
this is why Deep Down never saw the light on PS4

Fluid Simulation not possible on PS4, when Capcom made Panta Rhei they didnt expect PS4 to be so weak, Ono looked quit exited when he presented it but ... you know the rest

Reactions: TLZ

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
this is why Deep Down never saw the light on PS4

Fluid Simulation not possible on PS4, when Capcom made Panta Rhei they didnt expect PS4 to be so weak, Ono looked quit exited when he presented it but ... you know the rest

Yeah that game was one generation too early.

SonGoku

Damn i shudder to think the physics a 54-60CU card would pull in a console, we'll get better than UE4 elemental graphics in gameplay.

LordOfChaos LordOfChaos does this bode well for those GI techniques like Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination advertised at the start of the gen?

DJ12

Don't know why your still arguing the toss with this guy
To be fair, it's only one guy that's adamant it's a PS5 chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom