• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had a krazy ken, at one time, so i wouldn't say ‘no chance’.
Crazy Cerny must be cooking something good for the hardcore audience:

1473329235742.jpg

it screams FAKE .
worst case scenario we will get a vega 56 like gpu, remember CRYTECH RT demo ? coincidence ? maybe not, im thinking vega 56 or navi 5700 .
32Gb ram is ridiculous, worst case 16Gb ram
just be prepared for disappointment, consoles always do, anyway it's gonna be good for everyone specially PC players who tend to get console ports with minor tweaks .
SonGoku SonGoku
could they pair ssd and hdd, using ssd as ram ? when you instal a game data goes to hdd and some to the ssd ?

For people still thinking 7nm EUV is too new for next gen consoles:

"some of those big bets we made 3-5 years ago... we bet on 7nm process technology"

These designs and processes are planned years in advance

there is a difference between planning and producing, EUV just started production last month, lol how .
songoku you are turning into AdoredTv, the man who sold us bs about Navi .

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Teraflops are teraflops. Architecture doesn't matter much. It matters in PC world, where you have a very thick API layer and cannot really optimize for the hardware at all.
But in the console world (specifically PS, MSFT still wants some shitty abstraction) you can get all the TF if you're good enough.
It gives more flexibility and better sustained performance (more cheaply) when you improve memory throughput and latency as well as implement wider SIMD units and halve the default wavefront size (better for branchier code).

SonGoku

there is a difference between planning and producing, EUV just started production last month, lol how .
songoku you are turning into AdoredTv, the man who sold us bs about Navi .
7nm EUV spec was finalized in 2018, first consumer wafer tapeouts. This month started mass production.
For the record im not claiming they will 100% go with 7nm+, its just what makes the most sense to me, so take it as that... speculation on my part not gospel.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For people still thinking 7nm EUV is too new for next gen consoles:

"some of those big bets we made 3-5 years ago... we bet on 7nm process technology"

These designs and processes are planned years in advance

Yep, mentioned that several pages back. They have things like this in their plans and roadmaps long before it reaches the public arena. It is why we are seeing the decisions being made. The next gen consoles are not reactionary, but all planned out with future roadmaps. What they had decided for the NextBox and PS5 was planned with some variables long ago.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

(how?)

So it's a real leak? because 14.2 TF is a lot if true.
He is joking based on my comment, its fake 100%
Spanish don't know how to write English without mistakes confirmed

How could you not discard 14.2? I know that you understand that it's unlikely, but that is a "no chance in hell" number.
Its very unlikely due to big die 390mm2 but certainly doable on a console sized box on 7nm euv
80CUs - 72 enabled at 1550Mhz = 14.2TF
Crazy Cerny must be cooking something good for the hardcore audience:

1473329235742.jpg
Believe!

chigstoke

Forget about this - the post above missed the later slides that show it for the badly spelt fanboy's wet dream it is - here you go (2slides) :

• High Dinamic Range
  • Stably Rotating games at 60 frames per second
Bad japan translation can't save this one

I know misspellings and on purpose mistakes are sometimes put in to track who the person is who leaked the said content.
However I think in this ones case, it is a fake as a lot people think.

7nm EUV spec was finalized in 2018, first consumer wafer tapeouts. This month started mass production.
For the record im not claiming they will 100% go with 7nm+, its just what makes the most sense to me, so take it as that... speculation on my part not gospel.
AMD is not taking advantage of EUV until their 4th Gen Ryzen. It's in their Roadmap as such. The only thing it makes sense for is slim models which will change nothing.

SonGoku

AMD is not taking advantage of EUV until their 4th Gen Ryzen. It's in their Roadmap as such. The only thing it makes sense for is slim models which will change nothing.
Zen3 is barely a change from 2, it already layed most of the work for porting zen2 to 7nm+
RDNA2 (what i believe next gen will use) is 7nm+

This is what makes the most sense to me atm, i could be terribly wrong 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
yep, why would AMD use EUV, they just released standard 7nm they would tank their own fresh product, i read previous pages that for next gen its gonna be RDNA 2, why would AMD do that ? people wont buy RDNA 1, waiting for RDNA 2

Zen3 is barely a change from 2, it already layed most of the work for porting zen2 to 7nm+
RDNA2 (what i believe next gen will use) is 7nm+

This is what makes the most sense to me atm, i could be terribly wrong 🤷‍♂️
While you seem to be wildly optimistic, I'm not seeing anything that even hints at Zen 2 (3rd Gen)using the 7nm+ EUV process. One would have to assume that there would be unannounced architectural changes between Zen 2 and Zen 3. If their process is more reliable and higher in definition, one would think they could make use of more cores among other improvements. I do not think that in any way shape or form, it will happen for NextBox or PS5. I know this is a speculation thread, but the future is looking grim on quite a few pipe dreams as of late.

Wow at the date April 2018!
That's your Kaiju right there SonGoku, embrace it join the strong side of the force,... join team14.2
formerly known as team16.8 GCN

It was already established to be a Sony Spain headquarters leak... Hence the bad spelling.

All your bases are belong to us 😉

Also the less people involved, the more translations errors. It could make sense.
Isn't Sony spain knows for other leaks?

While you seem to be wildly optimistic, I'm not seeing anything that even hints at Zen 2 (3rd Gen)using the 7nm+ EUV process. One would have to assume that there would be unannounced architectural changes between Zen 2 and Zen 3. If their process is more reliable and higher in definition, one would think they could make use of more cores among other improvements. I do not think that in any way shape or form, it will happen for NextBox or PS5. I know this is a speculation thread, but the future is looking grim on quite a few pipe dreams as of late.
I mean the ps4 pro gpu has future tech that wasn’t even available at the time. So the idea that they can use 7nm ain’t that unlikely

I mean the ps4 pro gpu has future tech that wasn’t even available at the time. So the idea that they can use 7nm ain’t that unlikely
Didn't the GPU match the RX480? I'm not sure what sort of future technology it had in it, but it seemed like technilogy that was wildly available, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

This article is posting the info from a week ago. I have a hard time believing PS5 is only 4x better than PS4 OG. So PS5 is only going to be "about 7-8 TF"?

The 1080 was ~8.8 TFLOPS so this doesn't surprise me. A little higher than the 8 than I'm expecting.

Last edited:

xPikYx

That leak stating a 14tf machine is more credible or hopefully nicer to expect from a next generation system, don't forget guys back in the day about PS4 leaks nibody could believe it could have had 8GB or GDDR5 RAM, they might surprise us. 14tflops machine is a good start

Ar¢tos

I don't find 7nm EUV that unreasonable. Sony started planning the ps5 together with AMD a long time ago. AMD announced Navi knowing that only next iteration would have ray tracing (the EUV one), since Sony wanted Ray tracing, they probably started designing together the hardware even before 7nm EUV was being produced for test samples.
I wrote Sony, but could have been MS or both.

That leak stating a 14tf machine is more credible or hopefully nicer to expect from a next generation system, don't forget guys back in the day about PS4 leaks nibody could believe it could have had 8GB or GDDR5 RAM, they might surprise us. 14tflops machine is a good start
You reasonably expect a game console is going to release with more power than nVidia's $1100 2080 TI for $399-$499?

I don't find 7nm EUV that unreasonable. Sony started planning the ps5 together with AMD a long time ago. AMD announced Navi knowing that only next iteration would have ray tracing (the EUV one), since Sony wanted Ray tracing, they probably started designing together the hardware even before 7nm EUV was being produced for test samples.
I wrote Sony, but could have been MS or both.

But Samsung is the one with the technology. Neither Microsoft, Sony or AMD would have control over that.

Last edited:
As buyers they would have access to Samsung or other forges road maps (and road maps updates) much much earlier than the general public.
Fair enough, but it's still not part of the Zen 2 roadmap. Why wouldn't they use that same process on the Desktop or Mobile processors? Why would they simply gimp there current CPU and GPU lineups? That seems a bit short sighted.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm surprised people are still analyzing Lisa's words about RDNA. I can't see any reason why RDNA is not part of the PS5 but yet only with the next-gen Xbox. It doesn't make any sense since they are working together for years. RDNA is part of the whole Navi architecture. Next-gen RDNA just means "next-gen over GCN",

Ar¢tos

Fair enough, but it's still not part of the Zen 2 roadmap. Why wouldn't they use that same process on the Desktop or Mobile processors? Why would they simply gimp there current CPU and GPU lineups? That seems a bit short sighted.
To provide mid range and earlier products to the pc market. Otherwise they would have nothing new to sell this year, since 7nm EUV products are only available next year.

Because Zen 2 & Navi 10 for PCs will launch 17 months before next-gen consoles, that's why.

Fake - we know we're not getting 14.2TF on Navi .. not at any price point

Interesting on how they were right on several things .. what's the date for this ?

Shoot for the moon and land amongst the stars, right?

12.9 doesn't seem too shabby at all compared to this gen.

Base PS4 owners will lap that up.

Add a bit of Sony Santa Monica/ Guerilla eye candy and they'll forget all about 14.2 anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
360 used future GPU tech
PS3 used trash RSX
PS4 used a GPU with the latest GCN version launching the same year
PS4 Pro was based on the RX480 (same year launch) with double the ROPs and some Vega features
XBONEX was based on the RX580 (same year launch) but had extra CUs and more advanced cache system

The precedent is set for consoles using the latest or better tech than currently available.

This points towards RT HW using very little die space.

You keep talking about features. I'm talking about GPU power.

Shoot for the moon and land amongst the stars, right?

12.9 doesn't seem too shabby at all compared to this gen.

Base PS4 owners will lap that up.

Add a bit of Sony Santa Monica/ Guerilla eye candy and they'll forget all about 14.2 anyway.
Well considering they want to shoot for 4K and ray tracing. That shit is gonna consume a lot of power hence the need for more power.

Ar¢tos

Then why would they not announce that Xbox and PS5 were on Zen 3 Architecture? Wouldn't that have put Xbox and PS5 in Arcturus territory?
Because they might not need it. The zen2 jump is probably more than enough. We don't know what approach they are taking. It might be a chiplet design with 7nm zen2 and 7nm+ navi2. It might even be just a custom APU on base 7nm but with the added RT HW that will exist on PC only on 7nm+.
This is all speculation, we have no idea of anything!

Because they might not need it. The zen2 jump is probably more than enough. We don't know what approach they are taking. It might be a chiplet design with 7nm zen2 and 7nm+ navi2. It might even be just a custom APU on base 7nm but with the added RT HW that will exist on PC only on 7nm+.
This is all speculation, we have no idea of anything!
I'd rather be surprised than have wild expectations and get disappointed.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I won't be disappointed, I don't care for next gen specs and I couldn't care any less for RT.
All I want is decent spec PSVR2! Anything above 8-9tf is more than enough to power that, when we look at the VR we got from 1.8tf.

I'm definitely more excited for PSvr2 than anything. To me this has been the game changer and most innovative thing to come to consoles in generations. I laugh when you see some articles talking about the next Gen consoles are more of the same, wtf does VR come into play? It doesn't exist? 🤔

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm definitely more excited for PSvr2 than anything. To me this has been the game changer and most innovative thing to come to consoles in generations. I laugh when you see some articles talking about the next Gen consoles are lore if the same wtf does VR come into play? It doesn't exist? 🤔
Given the reach of consoles, I think it's a shame governments don't subsidize educational VR game development. The potential is huge because it can be so much more immersive than normal gaming (language learning, virtual museums, technical / medical learning, etc).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm definitely more excited for PSvr2 than anything. To me this has been the game changer and most innovative thing to come to consoles in generations. I laugh when you see some articles talking about the next Gen consoles are lore if the same wtf does VR come into play? It doesn't exist? 🤔

Had Nintendo sold 5 million VR headsets, publications wouldn't be pretending that it didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom