• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Now the question is, will the PS5 match the number of CUs that are in the Xbox Series X but at a higher clock speed? I know some of the rumors have it floating around the 1800-2000Mhz range, which if that is the case then that puts the PS5 in the 14.7 to 16.3 range, which would be insane if that actually happens! The anticipation is killing me!

I think it'll sit at around 13 like things are pointing to. But damn!!! Both next Gen systems and games are going to be insane.

sinnergy

Higher in this case won’t be better, you need additional overhead for ray-tracing... so if the bus is 384 bit you have enough bandwidth, it looks like MS played their cards right, but Sony could win the flops war... it only won’t show in graphics.

Last edited:
So 64 Cu was just confirmed by Klee, confirms my own view of slow and wide, seems logical that it has a 384 bit bus. So plenty of bandwidth, same approach as Xbox one X.

Nice! That means 24GB of GDDR6 more or less confirmed! Or they could crazy with half 2GB half 1GB mix but that doesn't make a ton of sense especially considering with economies of scale the 2GB chips wouldn't cost them that much more over the 1GB by that point.

Hopefully at least 16Gbps chips at 1.5GHz at least; that'd give us 576 GB/s memory bandwidth. If they went crazy with 2GHz chips (Samsung has some 2GHz 2GB chips), could be up to 768 GB/s for bandwidth.

OH! Forgot that Samsung's 2GHz chips are 18Gbps, so bandwidth could actually push up to 864 GB/s at full clock. I doubt they will push the chips at that speed though, for thermal reasons.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Higher in this case won’t be better, you need additional overhead for ray-tracing... so if the bus is 384 bit you have enough bandwidth, it looks like MS played their cards right, but Sony could win the flops war... it only won’t show in graphics.

You are thinking old fashioned, higher clocks might be ideal for RT applications. Sony cannot be BW starved if they used 18Gbps chips on 256-bus, or went with HBM2/3 to a whooping 1Tb/s

I almost feel like the Xbox Series X is underclocked compared to what we are going to see launch, I think they are waiting to see what Sony releases and then will bump the clock speed to create parity between the two consoles.
It’s not that easy to change major clocks man . Cause of it was both would continuously adjust their clock to 1 up each other . These consoles can not exceed a certain TDP based on their cooling design criteria which can not be exceeded what so ever otherwise they will overheat and die.
Last gen MS had gone with a huge box for x1 and they were behind ps4 and they were able to only Increase the gpu clock by 7 % (even though x1 was fairly big and conservative with thermals to avoid REOD fiasco)

SNG32

There is no way a 999 console is being released. Sony does not want to go down that hole again. Most these consoles will be is 599 premium edition and all.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I almost feel like the Xbox Series X is underclocked compared to what we are going to see launch, I think they are waiting to see what Sony releases and then will bump the clock speed to create parity between the two consoles.

I mean thts cool. I don't care too much about a flop difference or two. I just know it seems both will be great power wise. Sony will keep giving me the games I resonate towards so I'm good regardless.

Gamernyc78

Banned
It’s not that easy to change major clocks man . Cause of it was both would continuously adjust their clock to 1 up each other . These consoles can not exceed a certain TDP based on their cooling design criteria which can not be exceeded what so ever otherwise they will overheat and die.
Last gen MS had gone with a huge box for x1 and they were behind ps4 and they were able to only Increase the gpu clock by 7 % (even though x1 was fairly big and conservative with thermals to avoid REOD fiasco)

Word Microsoft must be very cautious not to cause another rrod situation. Ppl think uping clocks is just a simple thing but there's ramifications in tht and these things get very sensitive considering these are closed boxes.

But last gen MS also had the dead weight that was Kinect 2 holding them down. And from the outset XBO was designed with certain components with certain thermal requirements in mind, so the ceiling in terms of cooling overhead was lower bound to the floor which was lower bound thanks to them going with lower-powered components in areas such as memory relative to PS4.

This time from the outset MS has designed around a higher floor which means a higher ceiling, since they've designed XSEX around relatively higher-power components from the outset and thus probably have cooling implemented to cover the overhead. They probably have enough headroom in the thermal budget to cover some GPU clock increases. By how much is the question, but it's not hard to imagine by a better margin than they were able to with XBO.

Evilms

Banned
I'll happily eat my crow. LOL

I never saw 12TF+ coming. This is amazing y'all. These machines will make us drool.

GCN was limited to 64. We don't know what the limit is for RDNA.
navi-10-rdna-technical-overview.jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-20-Series_Official_Turing_TU102-GPU.png

Navi die has an area of 251 mm2 (RX 5700 XT) and the TU102 is 752 mm2 (RTX 2080 Ti).

2019-07-21-image-6.jpg

Nvidia Turing Cuda TU102 Full GPU is 72 SM Units, Navi RDNA 1.0 in the best of cases must be the same I think.

Last edited:
I mean thts cool. I don't care too much about a flop difference or two. I just know it seems both will be great power wise. Sony will keep giving me the games I resonate towards so I'm good regardless.

I honestly hope that both systems are extremely close spec-wise because doing that I think the 3rd party games will look their best across both platforms instead of having the assets of their game cater to a slower system.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The insiders have gone back inside their closets to jerk themselves off in front of their shrines of Mark Cerny and Phil Spencer.
So called insiders got ghost lol

Where did they go? tell us more about your inside info lol
while im not a fan of these insiders posting hints, i think they might just be waiting for mods to verify their sources.

its entirely possible that they were full of shit, but lets wait and see.

Mass Shift

Word Microsoft must be very cautious not to cause another rrod situation. Ppl think uping clocks is just a simple thing but there's ramifications in tht and these things get very sensitive considering these are closed boxes.

RROD was caused by non-lead solder reaching its melting point, causing the chips to loosen and become unstable.

As it is now a required global compliance, both MS and Sony now use lead free alloys that bond better and don't yield to processor heat.

onQ123

while im not a fan of these insiders posting hints, i think they might just be waiting for mods to verify their sources.

its entirely possible that they were full of shit, but lets wait and see.

One of them said the GPUs was the same but Sony has a better cooling solution , Xbox SX is rumored to have 64CU so even at the lowest PS5 clock rate rumor of 1.8GHz that would be 14.74TF that does not match up with people saying the difference is small

DJ12

Yet you are in belief of fake insiders. Make sure you are around when the news drops? No hiding ok?
Fake insiders means everyone who says ps5 is more powerful or just the fake ones that popped up recently.

I mean I have to ask as some of the insiders saying ps5 is more powerful are also saying Xbox is 12 tflops.

I guess in your opinion they are telling he truth half the time and telling lies the other half?

xool

So everyone is on board 12TF now (pretty sure someone saying Bingo! to number speculation isn't confirmation btw)..

2x power of X1X is 12TF GCN, but that's only 10.x RDNA

..only one of those options is really believable imo

60CU die size is crazy big

quest

Not Banned from OT
So everyone is on board 12TF now (pretty sure someone saying Bingo! to number speculation isn't confirmation btw)..

2x power of X1X is 12TF GCN, but that's only 10.x RDNA

..only one of those options is really believable imo

60CU die size is crazy big
I think 60 before inactive for yield is most accurate. I can't see these hitting basically 70 to include disabled CUs unless they are using ultraviolet and not saying.

Nickolaidas

Feels good to know that the previous generation was scolded for being as powerful as decent laptops, but the next gen consoles are proving to be batshit crazy insanely powerful clusterfucking powerhouses!

DAMN I'M TALKING LOUD!!!

so for both ps5 and xbox series x the following question remains:

1. Amount of RAM available for games (not total RAM). 13GB IMO is on the low end. 16GB-20GB seems future proof.
2. Compute Units. 64 compute units is rumored to be for Xbox Series X.
3. TFLOPS. Xbox Series X is leaning towards 12 TFLOPS. PS5 could be slightly more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom