• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

44alltheway

I see Mod of War has asked insiders to get verified. Could Tommy Fisher and CameFromNearFuture let the thread know if they are willing to do so or not?

On another subject, I can't believe the XSX will have a 64CU GPU. Really pretty shocked that the console makers are making >250W consoles. I love the power but its still unexpected for me.
lol they gone now

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I find it hard to believe the PS5 will be running at 2.0 GHz now. :(
why? if anything 64 CUs running at 1.47ghz gives even more credence to Sony's smaller 56 CU GPU running at higher clocks.

while i agree 500mhz is very high for such a small reduction in CUs, it's telling that sony went from 1.8 to 2.0 ghz so clearly they saw success at 1.8 ghz. otherwise they wouldve gone even lower.

its possible HBM is a factor here. also their cooling solution might be superior to MS's.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

why? if anything 64 CUs running at 1.47ghz gives even more credence to Sony's smaller 56 CU GPU running at higher clocks.

while i agree 500mhz is very high for such a small reduction in CUs, it's telling that sony went from 1.8 to 2.0 ghz so clearly they saw success at 1.8 ghz. otherwise they wouldve gone even lower.

its possible HBM is a factor here. also their cooling solution might be superior to MS's.

Oh I didn't know the rumor was for Sony to have less CUs than MS. Hmmm....that changes things some.

Why?

My thinking is that Xbox went with a full size 64CU GPU normal clock rate while PS5 is going with a lower CU count & higher clock speed

48CU at 2.1GHz would be 12.9TF

What would 56 CUs at 2.0 GHz make console TF wise? Didn't we hear that HBM2 could be what Sony is using to solve their overheating issue?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah i know how rrod was caused. My comment still stands though any rrod type situation would be catastrophic. Tht includes overheating, systems shutting down, bricking for whatever reason or culprits are all included in tht to me.
RROD was caused by non-lead solder reaching its melting point, causing the chips to loosen and become unstable.

As it is now a required global compliance, both MS and Sony now use lead free alloys that bond better and don't yield to processor heat.

pawel86ck

Banned
We have come a long way. Not so long time ago people were expecting vega 56 performance, and things like SDD and HW RT were considered out of question. It looks like both Sony and MS want to exceed people expectations and I wasnt so excited before PS4/xbox one launch. I think many people are going to buy both consoles day1.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah i know how rrod was caused. My comment still stands though any rrod type situation would be catastrophic. Tht includes overheating, systems shutting down, bricking for whatever reason, etc... There are always chances things could go wrong with over clocking.
RROD was caused by non-lead solder reaching its melting point, causing the chips to loosen and become unstable.

As it is now a required global compliance, both MS and Sony now use lead free alloys that bond better and don't yield to processor heat.

Ar¢tos

Why?

My thinking is that Xbox went with a full size 64CU GPU normal clock rate while PS5 is going with a lower CU count & higher clock speed

48CU at 2.1GHz would be 12.9TF
How would this affect the SIMD abilities of the consoles? Aren't those tied to CU count in RDNA2?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
14.3 TFlops.

Thanks guys. Low 14 TFs is a bigger beast than any of us could imagine. So that makes me think it is closer to 48 CUs like O onQ123 is saying. But considering the increase in speed, does having 48 CUs instead of 64 (even though those 64 are slower) matter? Is there any inherent advantage to having more CUs, even if they are slower?

We have come a long way. Not so long time ago people were expecting vega 56 performance, and things like SDD and HW RT were considered out of question. It looks like both Sony and MS want to exceed people expectations and I wasnt so excited before PS4/xbox one launch. I think many people are going to buy both consoles day1.

SERIOUSLY! Some people early in this thread will look silly to even think next-gen console were going to just be mid-gen refreshes of the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro. The question is will either company dare have 20 or more GBs of total RAM at this point.

I see Mod of War has asked insiders to get verified. Could Tommy Fisher and CameFromNearFuture let the thread know if they are willing to do so or not?

On another subject, I can't believe the XSX will have a 64CU GPU. Really pretty shocked that the console makers are making >250W consoles. I love the power but its still unexpected for me.
Our friend SonGoku SonGoku has been vindicated!

Remember when he was talking about high CU counts and 250-300W TDP? Almost everyone tried to ridicule him for his optimism.

Mass Shift

Because we've been told that these two consoles are so close to each other that performance differences would be negligible.

So with that understanding -

Series X
64CUs @ 1475MHz 12.083 TFs

PS5
64CUs @2000GHz 16.384 TFs

That's not a negligible difference. It puts the 2K clock into doubt because the CU count wouldn't add up.

The logical conclusion would be that you need a higher clock to compensate for the lower CU count. There's really no other way around it. If the PS5 has similar or more CUs than Series X, it doesn't need a 2K clock.

It might also be true that Series X has more graphic cores and that Phil and MS are waiting for Sony to reveal their gpu clock so they can tweek the Series X a little bit higher.

OR

The 2K clock was never a thing and Sony and MS are trying to hold out as long as they can before clocking. Remember, RDNA TFs dont scale the same way as GCN. The high clock may not even be a requirement.

onQ123

The biggest problem is people looking at PC hardware & prices to gauge what can & can't be done in a console.

When AMD sell you a PC GPU the only money they will make is from you buying that GPU but when Sony or MS sell you a console they can make money from you buying software & services.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am still holding back getting too excited over the raw numbers people are throwing around.

If the actual teraflop number would have been twice the the 6 TF of the X I think Phil would have said that number instead of how he has been wording it:

“We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console,” Xbox boss Phil Spencer told GameSpot. “So when we do the math, we’re over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is.”

I think and could be wrong that a 12 teraflop navi system would be stronger then two times a current X.

I know the leaks have said 12 TFs and I hope those are correct I am just not totally convinced they are closer to 10 TF.

The biggest problem is people looking at PC hardware & prices to gauge what can & can't be done in a console.

When AMD sell you a PC GPU the only money they will make is from you buying that GPU but when Sony or MS sell you a console they can make money from you buying software & services.
PCMR peeps don't want to be educated when it comes to console tech history.

RSX (PS3 GPU) was equal to 2 * GeForce 6800 Ultra and those cost $499 a pop back in the day!

magnumpy

that's true, when you buy a console it's as much about buying into that ecosystem as anything else. sort of like buying an iphone, there is the initial sale sure but there is also the promise of additional sales down the line... :eek:

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Honestly, where's the catch?!? There has to be one, even two, because so far the next-gen consoles are shaping up to be waaay damn good to be true. Sony and MS have to be willing to hit quite a loss on the hardware itself, that's the only logical explanation I can figure out.

pawel86ck

Banned
I am still holding back getting too excited over the raw numbers people are throwing around.

If the actual teraflop number would have been twice the the 6 TF of the X I think Phil would have said that number instead of how he has been wording it:

“We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console,” Xbox boss Phil Spencer told GameSpot. “So when we do the math, we’re over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is.”

I think and could be wrong that a 12 teraflop navi system would be stronger then two times a current X.

I know the leaks have said 12 TFs and I hope those are correct I am just not totally convinced they are closer to 10 TF.
Xbox x was also faster than what people expected based on TFLOPS numbers, so why you even use this argument? Yes, I know 12TF Navi would be a lot faster than 2x xbox x GPU's (and RDNA2 should be even more efficient than RDNA1), but Phil wasnt talking about game performance but GPU power, and you can only measure GPU power with TFLOPS.

If we hypothetically assume Phil was talking about game performance (instead of TFLOPS metric) then numbers he provided will not add up. You need 8TF navi in order to match 8x xbox one, and 10TF in order to match 2x xbox x. Xbox X already had improved architecture and that's why performance scaling isnt linear. The thing is, 8TF (navi) and (10TF) navi indicate 2 different performance levels. You want to tell me Phil would give people two different numbers (performance levels)? It doesnt make any sense why he would do that.

Next year 12TF should be still considered impressive in a console, but people should keep in mind 18+TF monsters from both AMD and Nvidia will be already there. MS and sony are not going to launch their premium consoles with 8TF navi at the end of 2020 (8TF Navi is what it takes to match x8 xbox one GPU game performance).

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
nexgen RDNA cards will be revealed so we can easily assess what kind of card they're going to use.
Even if so we still can't confirm if will be a RDNA 2.0 on next gen machines. They're fully custom made SoC. Could be a 1.5 with 2.0 implementation.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Even if so we still can't confirm if will be a RDNA 2.0 on next gen machines. They're fully custom made SoC. Could be a 1.5 with 2.0 implementation.

with RT? don't be a pessimist. either way we will get closer to the truth. lets see if AMD even has a 64 CU gpu with rt in stock.

THE:MILKMAN

It is now at the point that these APUs/SoCs will require EUV just to reduce power/heat a little. I again couldn't see next-gen using EUV/7nm+ as the chips would've taped out a long time ago. Also AMD showed that banner at last years CES showing "7nm" not "7nm+" for PS5.

The real big thing to know now is price. Sony have made it clear they want to sell fast and price is key in that. I just can't currently see how a low ($399/£349) price is possible right now. Microsoft already have had, and are comfortable with, $499 and also likely have a $299 Lockhart on deck for the price conscious.

I just have this funny feeling there will be major twists to come to turn everything on its head again.....

R600

Banned
Cant wait for Klee and others to be proven wrong.

14.3TF haha Jesus Christ...

64CUs @1.4 lol but then again, Sony can go with 600MHZ higher one with only 8CUs less. Its well known fact that good cooling system gives you ability to pump 40% higher clocks without issues even on same process and GPU design.

The fact that PS3 and 360 where both clocked @ 500MHZ and XBONE/PS4 ~ within 6% (even with Xbox One having 50% less CUs) should all be forgotten. Sony will smartly go for 600MHZ more with few CUs more.

Cant wait for reality to hit.

THE:MILKMAN

Cant wait for Klee and others to be proven wrong.

14.3TF haha Jesus Christ...

64CUs @1.4 lol but then again, Sony can go with 600MHZ higher one with only 8CUs less. Its well known fact that good cooling system gives you ability to pump 40% higher clocks without issues even on same process and GPU design.

The fact that PS3 and 360 where both clocked @ 500MHZ and XBONE/PS4 ~ within 6% (even with Xbox One having 50% less CUs) should all be forgotten. Sony will smartly go for 600MHZ more with few CUs more.

Cant wait for reality to hit.

What is your prediction for clocks/CUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom