• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ12

Like when I said before this week that we would have news coming down?? Yeah we know lol, sorry your dreams of ps5 most powerful is substantiated by fake insiders. Please make sure you are around when the news breaks. Phil is already on record via gamespot interview saying they Expect Xbox being the performance leader AGAIN!!! Where is Sony? Or we just have fake insiders lol good luck
I don't think you can read. Market leader <> performance leader.

Sony don't need to release news on your schedule, the fact there's not been a panic reaction from Sony like there was from ms to the cerny wired interview suggests they are very comfortable with the situation, contrary to what your biased mind is telling you.

Beside I checked your post history and you didn't fortell any news, but you also disappeared for months until 12 TFs was leaked so I guess the only one who will be disappearing is you as you are the only one invested in their precious box being the most powerful. Xbox fanboys are always the most militant, inferiority complex I guess. Enjoy these two months when you can convince yourself everyone is wrong about ps5 (but the same people are right about 12tfs for Xbox lol) as I'm sure it won't last.

bitbydeath

As I understand it it doesn't work like that. They don't tapeout and then start making the consoles. Key part from that wiki:

So the design is done but then bugs have to be fixed and in more serious cases floorplan changes might need to be done etc.

I'll probably get laughed at with this but......I really believe the PS5 dev kit we've seen has the APU/SoC that will be in the retail console (with only clocks possibly differing).

Wouldn’t they need Ray Tracing complete as well? Maybe it was completed recently (past month or two) but I can’t see it would have been finished ages ago.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I feel like people are too obsessed with power and teraflop numbers. Whats more important, teraflops or sales and market share? Sales and market share obviously. Id rather sony make a more modest 10 teraflop console at 399 than a 12-teraflop monstrosity that can only sell at 499 or more. Am i wrong in my assumption here? Like would aiming for something around 10 teraflop be cheaper than 12-13 or is it so small a difference in costs savings that you may as well go 12-13?
no offense but why do you give a shit how many consoles sony sells? are you a gamer or a stockholder?

DJ12

There are other two things associated with Flute/Gonzalo, and these are :

Total system BW - 528GB/s
FireStrike score leaked by Apisak - 20K

That total BW is far too low for 13TF. With RT and Zen2 I would say even 10TF is pushing it.

For FireStrike, its self explanatory. A chip with ~2700X performance and Navi XT/2070Super will hit 20K without too much problem, so thats where I would expect Sony to be. Which is alot tbh, and more then I imagined.
Stop talking as though you are an authority on the subject just about everything you posted when you first turned up has been proven wrong.

Not next gen RDNA for example.

I would expect a little humility given your attitude arguing your case back then but I guess that's expecting too much.

but still cling to your beliefs and not entertain new information that doesn't fit your narrative cause it sure worked for you before.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For what ? I dont understsand this persecution.

I would ask You guys to have more empathy and tolerance.
You will be worshipped here if you just came clean with the mods. Worshipped just like kleegamefan in the era thread who immediately said he would have no problems being vetted. He laid down his resume. People saw that he was an ex-journalist and immediately realized he was someone that could be trusted. Then came the verification from the mods that this guy is legit and that was it.

He did not have to burn his source. he just had to earn their trust. why you cant do that or are unwilling to do that is beyond me.

nowhat

For what ? I dont understsand this persecution.

I would ask You guys to have more empathy and tolerance.
Yeah. I could be claiming the upcoming Switch Pro Doubleplus Good features an 8K screen, a holographic 3D projector for playing with friends and a battery life of two years. Oh, and there's also an optional peripheral that will function both as a leg warmer and a Fleshlight. And not substantiate it in any way, just say that I'm an insider/have friends in the know.

But I wouldn't contribute anything to the discussion, because there would be no way of verifying any of it. This thread can be quite content-free as it is (amusing though, this is definitely the best popcorn thread here), so unless you can prove yourself, prepare to be hit on the head with a banhammer.

DJ12

It would get people’s hope up and change the course of discussion so we need to know if it is genuine . We love to have you around but if you don’t want to get vetted by a mod just post it as your own speculation and not insider information
It also doesn't help that his fellow noob insider that seems to corroborate his information, but with more technical details in his posts disagrees with the one thing this guy wants us to remember came from him.

Personally I think both are full of it, but will apologise if not. In a couple of months.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Stop talking as though you are an authority on the subject just about everything you posted when you first turned up has been proven wrong.

Not next gen RDNA for example.

I would expect a little humility given your attitude arguing your case back then but I guess that's expecting too much.

but still cling to your beliefs and not entertain new information that doesn't fit your narrative cause it sure worked for you before.
So specs have been released? Must have missed them. Please link them for me!

THE:MILKMAN

And the gpu of xbsx is 64 cu but clocked lower, right ? How can raytracing be better with lower cu ? Or maybe their implementation doesn't involve higher cu for being better but higher clocks ?

Wasn't it Osiris that hinted that PS5 RT was better? Where has he gone by the way?

Wouldn’t they need Ray Tracing complete as well? Maybe it was completed recently (past month or two) but I can’t see it would have been finished ages ago.

Yes they would need RT but it would have been part of the design of the chip which I'm positive would have been done in 2016/17. The last ~2 years doing spins, fixing bugs and refining/tuning the chip. Plus if I'm right about the dev kit then making a few thousand of them for devs since ~April/May this year.

Another example. PS4 Pro. It was Polaris with Vega features and the Pro dev kit (with the final spec chip) was around as far back as December 2015 at least. Polaris dGPUs launched June 2016? and Vega August 2017?

Can any of the insiders shed light to the following:

1) How many GB of RAM will be available for games (NOT total RAM) for ps5 and xbox series x and at what bandwidth?
2) How many compute units for both PS5 and xbox series x and at what frequency? Example: 64 compute units @ 1.8Ghz

That would be 12.9TF you made a post earlier saying it would be closer to 14TF than 13TF
12.9 to 14.3 is the from the leak at the end of 2018 on reddit . I m guessing he is just reiterating that . No one knows if that leak is legit even though it got few things right

12.9 to 14.3 is the from the leak at the end of 2018 on reddit . I m guessing he is just reiterating that . No one knows if that leak is legit even though it got few things right

If that is at all legit then it would possibly have 56CU with 1800Mhz base performance and 2000Mhz boost performance which would give it the 12.9TF/14.3TF numbers. At this point I am just going to relax and wait for February to roll around!

onQ123

I think that is the rumor that came from a Beyond3D post that I posted here

i1J8yY.jpg

I think that is the rumor that came from a Beyond3D post that I posted here

i1J8yY.jpg
Yea it’s similar to what I saw . what I saw started with the sentence we are a small European dev working with a AAA studio for ps5 launch game.

PocoJoe

Banned
Still smaller, by some margin.

Xbox to 360 = 6FLOPs to 240GFLOPs
PS2 to PS3 = 6FLOPs (total) to ~400GF total
7.3FLOPs to be exact.

So ~35x jump.

You clearly have some problems to understand what you are talking about.

GFLOP = gigaflop

So you are saying "6 FLOPS" as in 6 operations/second which is silly claim

FLOP is base unit and mega/giga/tera is the multiplier, and you made that mistake twice.

From a flop to gflop is like 1 and many many zeros, not just "35x" so use correct units. (From gflop to gflop, then it is correct)

Last edited:

R600

Banned
You clearly have some problems to understand what you are talking about.

GFLOP = gigaflop

So you are saying "6 FLOPS" as in 6 operations/second which is silly claim

FLOP is base unit and mega/giga/tera is the multiplier, and you made that mistake twice.

From a flop to gflop is like 1 and many many zeros, not just "35x" so use correct units. (From gflop to gflop, then it is correct)
Sorry, clearly misstyped it. 7.3GFLOPs vs 240GFLOPs.

DJ12

No, and apparently some other peoplre dont either.
Such as? Think it's pretty much accepted that next gen RDNA is at least in the xbox (and most likely PS5) also. (sure 12 tf's might be up in the air due to the vagueness of Phils comments about power, but Next Gen aka RDNA 2 is not being disputed, certainly not on here, but please link to where it is)

I understand why you don't want to take it that way as it also implies your 7nm+ is impossible standpoint is also null and void, but hey ho.

bitbydeath

Yes they would need RT but it would have been part of the design of the chip which I'm positive would have been done in 2016/17. The last ~2 years doing spins, fixing bugs and refining/tuning the chip. Plus if I'm right about the dev kit then making a few thousand of them for devs since ~April/May this year.

That doesn’t sound realistic at all to me. If AMD were already capable of 14TF back in 2016 I’m pretty sure they would have moved on it sooner. PS5 could have even released in 2017/2018 if the hardware were final back then.

If that were 4 years ago then they would be nearing 20TF-25TF with the latest right?

Last edited:

DJ12

Have new consoles ever been this close to top end PCs in terms of power?
At conception, probably, at release probably not.

As it will be this time, by the time both console are out, full blown "Next Gen" RDNA GPUs will be available for us all to buy for our PCs and potentially Ryzen 4000 series processors will be out too.

farmerboy

And the gpu of xbsx is 64 cu but clocked lower, right ? How can raytracing be better with lower cu ? Or maybe their implementation doesn't involve higher cu for being better but higher clocks ?

Cerny has talked about their 3D audio chip. I'm pretty sure he has intimated its a seperate chip.

What if this chip is a seperate raycasting chip? It does audio and visual. What if its a repurposed Cell? What if that Cell has a PS3 mode for native BC?

I'm getting carried away. Though I would appreciate thoughts on a potential audio chip doing the raycasting.

nowhat

Cerny has talked about their 3D audio chip. I'm pretty sure he has intimated its a seperate chip.
Not quite. What he said was that the RT hardware could be also used for other things (not related to graphics) like 3D audio. I really don't see any Cell anywhere. It was strange, too expensive, able to deliver incredible results eventually when the devs got the hang of it, and I'm glad it exists in the first place, we need more weird stuff. But for a very good reason it was retired this gen.

THE:MILKMAN

Such as? Think it's pretty much accepted that next gen RDNA is at least in the xbox (and most likely PS5) also. (sure 12 tf's might be up in the air due to the vagueness of Phils comments about power, but Next Gen aka RDNA 2 is not being disputed, certainly not on here, but please link to where it is)

I understand why you don't want to take it that way as it also implies your 7nm+ is impossible standpoint is also null and void, but hey ho.

Whilst it would be great if the consoles have full native RDNA2 I'm still going to be cautious and assume "next-gen RDNA" just means that RDNA is the next generation architecture after GCN.

That doesn’t sound realistic at all to me. If AMD were already capable of 14TF back in 2016 I’m pretty sure they would have moved on it sooner. PS5 could have even released in 2017/2018 if the hardware were final back then.

If that were 4 years ago then they would be nearing 20TF-25TF with the latest right?

The design is mostly what is done "on paper" if you will. Then I guess test chips are made and it goes through testing/verification/spins etc, etc. All this takes a long time (~2 years start to finish?). You seem to be thinking in terms of being mass production ready? I'm not an expert here so I'm willing to hear from anyone else with the insight into the process.

You will be worshipped here if you just came clean with the mods. Worshipped just like kleegamefan in the era thread who immediately said he would have no problems being vetted. He laid down his resume. People saw that he was an ex-journalist and immediately realized he was someone that could be trusted. Then came the verification from the mods that this guy is legit and that was it.

He did not have to burn his source. he just had to earn their trust. why you cant do that or are unwilling to do that is beyond me.

Because he's most likely faking it and playing victim when asked for simple verification. Imagine if you cried about being persecuted when asked to provide identification at the DMV for a license renewal. It'd be ridiculous, right? Well, this is the gaming insider equivalent.

Either you're the real deal and have something to back it up, or you're a phony. Like the popular saying goes, "facts don't care about your feelings".

What if this chip is a seperate raycasting chip? It does audio and visual. What if its a repurposed Cell? What if that Cell has a PS3 mode for native BC?

I'm getting carried away. Though I would appreciate thoughts on a potential audio chip doing the raycasting.

Don't think devs would appreciate needing to utilize esoteric silicon in such non-intended ways. Plus the last time I heard of a game using an audio chip for graphics/logic calculation was one of the Shining games on SEGA Saturn.

Some devs probably still has Cell-related PTSD so a repurposed one in PS5 would probably cause some unforeseen issues Sony'd rather avoid xD.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

I’m still having a hard time believing 12Tf+ despite all the smoke (maybe literally in Sony’s case)

R600 really had me completely sold on ~9TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom