• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Anybody who thinks Sony would produce 600 dollar console and advertise it for 500 dollars it not residing in the real world. Neither of these enterprises has ever accepted profit hits to sell a console. What they do it is decide to scale down manufacturing costs to make profits. Sony is the market console leader so they absolutely need not worry about what MS is doing.
I suspect when Sony announces its console it is same power at 500 dollars or less power at a cheaper price?

Wrong! PS4 /Xbox One was the 1st time that Sony/Microsoft didn't take a big hit at the release of their consoles.

Rossco EZ

Anybody who thinks Sony would produce 600 dollar console and advertise it for 500 dollars it not residing in the real world. Neither of these enterprises has ever accepted profit hits to sell a console. What they do it is decide to scale down manufacturing costs to make profits. Sony is the market console leader so they absolutely need not worry about what MS is doing.
I suspect when Sony announces its console it is same power at 500 dollars or less power at a cheaper price?
i believe they took hits on price last gen

nowhat

KZ2 trailer was 100 % CGI bullshit/bullshot, not really comparable.
Oh sure. Everyone here probably knows this, but just in case (because Guerrilla got a lot of shit for it back in the day) - it wasn't them. They never intended the footage for public consumption, it was to be internal only. Someone (I don't think it's still officially clear who) added it to the E3 reel and the studio was horrified when they realized what had happened. But then, no one surely would believe it's real...

nowhat

Tqaulity

is 16gb enough?
Absolutely not! I've been repeating this for months there is no way the next gen consoles can come out and expect to last a typical console cycle of 5-7 years with only 16GB of RAM (only 4 more GB than the Xbox One X from 2017). I still can't believe people are saying that they think it will be enough when it's only 2x the base consoles from 7 years earlier and EVERY previous console generation has seen a 16X increase in RAM and every console generation has seen developers get bottlenecked by RAM despite the large increase! Make no sense whatsoever.

That said, if MS or Sony attempt to do more frequent iterative hardware where the next version of the Xbox Series X or PS5 will be released in 2-3 after launch of the base systems, then maybe they can get away with 16GB for now. The upgraded systems can then bump up to 32 GB or whatever by then. But even then, the baseline will be whatever the initial console version will be and 16 GB will not be enough.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have a feeling certain people who constantly bark the loudest about this, are going to be super quiet (even giddy, already seeing it) about the "cinematic games" that will also coming out of a certain camp.

Please refer to Xbox games correctly, especially since you're the one that coined it! They are music videos, dammit. Only Sony games get to be called movies. :messenger_beaming:

Absolutely not! I've been repeating this for months there is no way the next gen consoles can come out and expect to last a typical console cycle of 5-7 years with only 16GB of RAM (only 4 more GB than the Xbox One X from 2017). I still can't believe people are saying that they think it will be enough when it's only 2x the base consoles from 7 years earlier and EVERY previous console generation has seen a 16X increase in RAM and every console generation has seen developers get bottlenecked by RAM despite the large increase! Make no sense whatsoever.

That said, if MS or Sony attempt to do more frequent iterative hardware where the next version of the Xbox Series X or PS5 will be released in 2-3 after launch of the base systems, then maybe they can get away with 16GB for now. The upgraded systems can then bump up to 32 GB or whatever by then. But even then, the baseline will be whatever the initial console version will be and 16 GB will not be enough.

I agree. 13GB of GDDR6 for games while the rest for OS will be anemic 4 years down the line.

R600

Banned
Screenshots of what he said? Or is he lying?
Read between the lines.

Response to this...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you said PS5 would be 7-10% more powerful, not less/weaker (like the user you quoted said).

Yes I did say that. But the primary point is don't take what I or anyone else as official information since these products are still in development and "things change", which is why I brought up Lockhart. I was dead wrong on that one.

For the record, I stand by everything in the Threadmarks (except for Lockhart, of course)

WillI I be 100 percent correct in the end?

I don't know.

Sony and Microsoft do whatever they want and absolutely no insider *anywhere* can with 100 percent guarantee total accurate information that will come to pass when the actual launches happen.

WITH ALL THAT FUCKING SAID

I am doing my best to give y'all information while protecting my source to the best of my ability.

What I said isn't gospel but I am not knowingly throwing out deceptive information either.

You either believe that or you don't. It's out of my hands.

Funny that Jason came out as well today saying he never said Xbox will be weaker then PS5.

Still 40CU 2.0GHZ max team.

Last edited:

Red-Town

Screenshots of what he said? Or is he lying?

Maybe he's referring to this post?

Yes I did say that. But the primary point is don't take what I or anyone else as official information since these products are still in development and "things change", which is why I brought up Lockhart. I was dead wrong on that one.

For the record, I stand by everything in the Threadmarks (except for Lockhart, of course)

WillI I be 100 percent correct in the end?

I don't know.

Sony and Microsoft do whatever they want and absolutely no insider *anywhere* can with 100 percent guarantee total accurate information that will come to pass when the actual launches happen.

WITH ALL THAT FUCKING SAID

I am doing my best to give y'all information while protecting my source to the best of my ability.

What I said isn't gospel but I am not knowingly throwing out deceptive information either.

You either believe that or you don't. It's out of my hands.
Click to shrink...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

demigod

Read between the lines.

Response to this...

Funny that Jason came out as well today saying he never said Xbox will be weaker then PS5.

Standing by what he said is considered backing out now, are you for real :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aceofspades

Banned
Read between the lines.

Response to this...

You were part of "consoles" cannot exceed 9.2TF , what changed now? Are you now team Xbox is 12TF, PS5 is 9.2TF team?

R600

Banned
Standing by what he said is considered backing out now, are you for real :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I stand by what I say...but. Again, read between the lines.

If you where a leaker back in 2012/13 and had target specs for both you could be 100% sure of the outcome. This guy, like Osiris and VFX has nothing and their vague talk is used to gain publicity but not be too specifiic because they have no idea of actual specs.

I know that because I followed Klee from "you will be disappointed with specs but amazed bs gfx" and "navi tf >>GCN so dont make wrong assumption when you see specs" to this. He has habbit of changing stories as he see fits.

R600

Banned
You were part of "consoles" cannot exceed 9.2TF , what changed now? Are you now team Xbox is 12TF, PS5 is 9.2TF team?
Actually no. I am a part of team 9-10TF for both.

I already said MS CAN go higher solely because of bus width (256 v 320), but if Sony uses 18Gbps chips (as rumored in Flute bench) and MS uses 14Gbps (as shown in scarlett video) then expect them to be close around 9-10TF.

THE:MILKMAN

That says something about his confidence in his source and how seriously or rather not you should take him. Suddenly it's "things change". He just covered his ass.

Honestly I just take whatever "leaks" are given at face value. No point in getting too stressed over these things. In saying that the "things change" phrase is now used by every leaker and I do roll my eyes when I see the excuse used.

Aceofspades

Banned

I already said MS CAN go higher solely because of bus width (256 v 320), but if Sony uses 18Gbps chips (as rumored in Flute bench) and MS uses 14Gbps (as shown in scarlett video) then expect them to be close around 9-10TF.

Thank you, I just wanted you to clarify your stance on this subject.

demigod

Thank you, I just wanted you to clarify your stance on this subject.

Why you always lying? You were never in the 10TF camp. At least Klee stands by what he says.

R600

Banned
Why you always lying? You were never in the 10TF camp. At least Klee stands by what he says.

Ok so its 9. Read what I said in 2nd post. 36-40CUs at 1.8GHZ.

Oberon changes this, as it seems that RDNA for 2020 can upclock higher (2.0GHZ) so I take that as a reference, but it still stays relatively in line as predicted.

36-40CUs at 2.0GHz is 9.2-10TF.

36-40CUs at 1.8GHZ is 8.2-9.2TF.

Leaning towards 9, but lets wait and see.

I didnt say everyone will be disappointed with specs and not to compare GCN vs Navi in TF, and then turned the tables and say "13TF+".

I stayed relatively realistic, and you can quote me on Series X where I STILL doubted 12TF claim.

So what you just proved now is that I remained in line with what I said. 36-44CUs at 1.8GHz. No 70CU chiplet monsters and 14TF dreams. Even after Klee and others said its 13TF for sure.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that nextgen XBox Team will probably have much more and better exclusive (or at least console exclusive) games than this gen. Hellblade 2 is the first one and it'll look amazing. As I said... nextgen will be much more interesting than this gen and I can't wait, seriously.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

Another thing to consider is that nextgen XBox Team will probably have much more and better exclusive (or at least console exclusive) games than this gen. Hellblade 2 is the first one and it'll look amazing. As I said... nextgen will be much more interesting than this gen and I can't wait, seriously.
I can see quantity but Sony has some established quality studios with great IP’s. I hope Microsoft makes a giant leap in the exclusives space because competition is a great thing. I’ll probably own both this gen, but I’ll go Sony day 1.

Xbox SX is more powerful than PS5 , PS5 is more powerful than Xbox SX,

Both can be said because each will have their own advantages the question is how will it translate to games

Exactly. I'm still thinking that the xsx will have a better gpu and the ps5 will have a better ssd and ram.

maxresdefault.jpg

Uhhhhh.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom