• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Interesting, if people believe him.
Ox9SXQU.png

vpance

I don't believe that MS was behind sending dev kits, that story doesn't make sense at all. How did they move from just recently sending dev kits to showing the box in two weeks? Hell even Phil had a console at home the week prior!

Consoles take years of planning, Sony started PS4 development in 2007, and PS5 in 2014. Taping those chips takes years of design and hundreds of trials and experimentation. MS story doesn't fit any of this , hell they even showed HBII running in engine.

I can't wait for the bombs that Sony will drop come February 🔥

They thought they could surprise Sony by delaying real kits until basically the last second. Probably didn't make much difference. Seems like everyone already knew of their 12TF target long ago. Also the earlier than expected reveal stuff is classic MS PR style of trying to dominate the conversation first and early.

Lort

Banned
Knock it off, especially coming from you.

Final warning for everyone in this thread. I will just give site time outs if this juvenile rhetoric continues in here.

Sorry if i went too far.. id rather the conversation be about the technology..

Fp 16, checkerboard and the “power” of the cell all failed to live up to expectations .. just like the cloud. BS isnt a MS or Sony exclusive.

We will all judge the efficiency and effectiveness of these techniques after release. ... but there is nothing wrong with discussing them now.

So as such heres my layman's interpretation of vrs..

Tiers 1 Ie used for fov some areas of the scene are lower res
Tier 2 some layers of the scene are lower res ( ie like GTA And other games do for alpha)
MS VRS. lighting, shadows and other intermediate buffers and calculations support vrs ( like quantum break does somewhat or Low res GI is implemented now)

Maybe Sony will implement it and ignore it ( as i said this is very common)
Maybe they wont implement it because it requires hardware support or they don't want to get sued
Or maybe they will just license it

Who knows?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sorry if i went too far.. id rather the conversation be about the technology..

Fp 16, checkerboard and the “power” of the cell all failed to live up to expectations .. just like the cloud. BS isnt a MS or Sony exclusive.

We will all judge the efficiency and effectiveness of these techniques after release. ... but there is nothing wrong with discussing them now.

So as such heres my layman's interpretation of vrs..

Tiers 1 Ie used for fov some areas of the scene are lower res
Tier 2 some layers of the scene are lower res ( ie like GTA And other games do for alpha)
MS VRS. lighting, shadows and other intermediate buffers and calculations support vrs ( like quantum break does somewhat or Low res GI is implemented now)

Maybe Sony will implement it and ignore it ( as i said this is very common)
Maybe they wont implement it because it requires hardware support or they don't want to get sued
Or maybe they will just license it

Who knows?

CELL and checkerboard rendering did live up to expectations. It's that the CELL was just too hard to program for.

Fine, since we're posting prediction specs...

PS5:

**12.8-13 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**ARM or RISC-V based coprocessor (background OS tasks)
**20GB GDDR6 via 10x 32-bit 2GB chips, 2Ghz chip clock (max clock 2GHz) , 320-bit bus, 640 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-96GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
(speeds of around DDR4 RAM, read and write performance/alterability of DRAM, permanent storage abilities of NAND)
**$499.99 MSRP

XSEX:

12.1-12.5 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**ARM or RISC-V based coprocessor (background OS tasks)
**24GB GDDR6 via 12x 32-bit 2GB chips, 1.5 Ghz chip clock, 384-bit bus, 576 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 2GB/s (x1 PCIe 4.0 lane) - 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-128GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
(speeds of around DDR4 RAM, read and write performance/alterability of DRAM, permanent storage abilities of NAND)
**499.99 MSRP
:messenger_clapping:👏:messenger_clapping: it's possible.
Corrected

PS5

CPU: Zen 2 8core/16thread 3.4Ghz
GPU: Full big navi 80cus 1575mhz 0.85v core voltage (ideal clocks perf/w) 16TF, power consumption around desktop RX 5700XT , this gpu is overvolted, stock voltage 1.2v!!!.
APU memory: 2X 12GB HBM2E total 24GB on 2048 bit bus, 820GB/s.
1TB ssd NVMe 5GB/s

APU on 7nm EUV 450mm2
BOM cost 600$
Retail 499$ (100$ loss)
:messenger_expressionless:
Hmmm....what this mean?
It means he's following the thread very closely.
E3 shot of the Xbox APU combined with 350mm Arden rumor definitely allows for wide, lower clocked 12tf gpu. I just want MS come out and confirm it.

Though, I'm not convinced about PS5 being almost the same. I'm still in the 9-10.3TF for the PS5. And it being cheaper console.
Me too 9tf-11tf.

Mass Shift

Apparently Klee says he has a full spec sheet for both consoles...

One console I might believe, but both? That would make his source more than a 3rd party developer. He would have to be directly in the loop with both Sony and Microsoft to be THAT TRUSTED.

And then he would show that he was never worthy of that trust by betraying both of them.

THE:MILKMAN

One console I might believe, but both? That would make his source more than a 3rd party developer. He would have to be directly in the loop with both Sony and Microsoft to be THAT TRUSTED.

And then he would show that he was never worthy of that trust by betraying both of them.

I think what people don't appreciate with a new insider like Klee (new in the sense of sharing stuff on a gaming board) is that once he was made legit I'm sure other people in the know started to share stuff with him via PM. Just generally speaking on next-gen consoles can you imagine how many in the know people are in PM/conversations or private Discords laughing at us?

Shame on them all.....:messenger_pouting:

Kdad

So Phil Harrison's agents?

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I think what people don't appreciate with a new insider like Klee (new in the sense of sharing stuff on a gaming board) is that once he was made legit I'm sure other people in the know started to share stuff with him via PM. Just generally speaking on next-gen consoles can you imagine how many in the know people are in PM/conversations or private Discords laughing at us?

Shame on them all.....:messenger_pouting:

You could be on to something.

Today's rumors are as follows:

Code:
           PS5                             XSX
CPU:       8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.2Ghz          |  8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU:       13.3TF RDNA (VRS Tier1 ? RT) |  12.1TF RDNA (VRS Tier 2, RT)
Storage:   1TB SSD 5GB/s                |  1TB SSD 2GB/s
RAM:       24GB (8GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4)  |  16GB GDDR6

I know PS4 had something of a dual memory pool but it was the slower of the two memories that was the smaller pool, and by some magnitudes. Also the DDR3 in PS4 was just for the OS in case needed and for various background tasks; there aren't any games I know of which address it directly. There's no benefit in PS5 reversing that, regardless of what HBM2 would bring to the table.

Also didn't the Scarlett video from E3 show 12 chips of memory on the board? Well, at least that was my thinking. Guess with the (kinda unfortunate) re-introduction of Lockhart into the picture they might actually be going with a 256-bit after all; it'd be the easiest way of scaling memory between Lockhart and XSEX while still saturating the bus with chips. But OTOH it still feels odd MS would step back from the 384-bit bus the X already accomplished years ago.

SmokSmog

Using 7nm euv you can easy make apu with 60-64cu. 1500-1600MHZ 12-13TF
rx 5700XT is small gpu 251mm2 on 7nm

RX 5700xt on 7nm EUV with HBM2 controller would be no more than 200mm2 for 40CUS

Mass Shift

ROFL.
Who cares what Randy "Magician" Pitchford says?

Pitchford is an assclown. He's probably been waiting for an opportunity to troll his way into the debate.

What he picked as a point of contention with Spencer is stupid though. Sony likewise has talking SSD sauce advantages, so if Spencer wants to gin up their take on VRS, what's the problem?

Petty, just really petty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom