• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedtrain

The one thing that keeps me from fully buying into Klee was when he said people will probably be disappointment by the numbers (I can’t find where he said it now but I know I read it.)
Then he says the 12tf number isn’t a surprise to him.

Who in their right mind was going to be disappointed by a 12tf console???

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The one thing that keeps me from fully buying into Klee was when he said people will probably be disappointment by the numbers (I can’t find where he said it now but I know I read it.)

Like someone 2 pages ago predicting the PS5 would be 16 TFs.

Mass Shift

Good question.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is my red flag - 12TF leaks were from GCN era, the equivalent on RDNA is 10.x TF.

Trying to temper my enthusiam right now.

Its why I think if it was actually 12 TF RDNA Phil would be screaming it on Twitter.

Instead we get that PR speak 2X the power.

I hope its 12 TFs in RDNA

EDIT - But also Digital Foundry does that article today and they mention 12 TF a few times then Phil pats them on the back.

So either it is true or he is just letting people run with that number.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Probably, except it's a long time to Winter 2020 .. they've got to keep up the trickle of info till then ..
That and if they specify numbers and Sony came out an hour later saying the PS5 does over 13tf basically it pisses away any buzz. Sony will have the power lead it be foolish of Phil to fall into a trap right now of hard numbers he loses.

Last edited:

xool

Anyone got any thoughts on the exact process the chips will be on - there are a couple assuming TSMC

• Vanilla 7nm (DUV only)
  • 7nm+ (higher density, adds some EUV layers replacing old DUV)
  • N7P (7nm highperformance) - same density as vanilla, 7% perf. at same power, or -10% power at same clock
  • 6nm (basically 7nm minor shrink, +18% density, dunno power but must be less right ?) -
Then there's still Samsung ...

[edit = afaik the RX5700 were on vanilla 7nm, which give room for optimism]

Last edited:
So has it stands:

Xbox Series X = Roger Bannister
PS5 = Eliud Kipchoge

We can throw out the spec sheets and start again.

source.gif
Be honest with me bro. You are stunned that Sony wants to out do MS on spec (12 tf Navi)after your belief of 8 tf GCN ? How do you feel about all of this ?

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Its why I think if it was actually 12 TF RDNA Phil would be screaming it on Twitter.

Instead we get that PR speak 2X the power.

I hope its 12 TFs in RDNA

EDIT - But also Digital Foundry does that article today and they mention 12 TF a few times then Phil pats them on the back.

So either it is true or he is just letting people run with that number.

Letting people run with it? MS has been the one talking up power and per on their own. This has been THEIR theme and mantra for the next gen.

if they fall short, it's totally on them

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Be honest with me bro. You are stunned that Sony wants to out do MS on spec (12 tf Navi)after your belief of 8 tf GCN ? How do you feel about all of this ?

I was just jesting/lightning the mood after that Randy Tweet. Also since when have I been 8TF GCN? I have always (and continue!) to be 10-12TF GCN equivalent and since RDNA was known 9-10TF RDNA.

That both consoles are almost certainly above that is amazing to me. Take my money and my ears.

PS5>>SeX - GPU
PS5>>>>>SeX - SSD
PS5>>>SeX - Ram size (bandwidth too?)
SeX>PS5 - CPU speed
SeX>=PS5 - Noise
Well ain't this some shit. I just found this at pastebin (dated today):

1. Latest info on ps5/xsx:

2. - Performance is around the same for both, with a small advantage for PS5 (which won't make much of a difference in the end, imo)
  3. - ps5 ~13TF / xsx ~12TF
  4. - Both use GDDR6, no, there's no HBM2 going on.
  5. - Cpu clock is 3.2Ghz for PS5 and 3.4Ghz for XSX, both have a very low power standby mode
  6. - Current PS5 devkits have the GPU running a little over 2Ghz, XSX @ 1.6 or 1.7Ghz
  7. - PS5 is supposed to have 24GB for retail, XSX at the moment is 16GB, not sure if that's set though
  8. - PS5 SSD 4.5GB/s, XSX 2GB/s, both 1TB
  9. - Both use TSMC's EUV/7nm+.

10. More people will be reporting this in the next few weeks. Info has been out for a while now.

EDIT: not vetted so probably bs. This pastebin could be his own. lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom