• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookX22

It's clocked a bit higher than the normal 6800. AMD confirmed the boost frequencies cannot be held during normal gaming and is only achievable running a bursty workload. Game clock is the typical frequency during normal gaming applications.
Not when you cool it better and manually oc it. I ran my old vega 56 at 1600 mhz at 930mhz memory oc with liquid cooling.

Since XSX has a 384bit memory config I don't think it needs it.

PS5 probably does though on 256 bit.
... which makes me think the XSX is kind of an adapted RDNA2 GPU while PS5 is straight up RDNA2? Since all High end RDNA2 cards shown feature Infinity Cache? Also, low clocks on the GPU...

By this I don't mean anything to detract from XSX GPU, just pointing at the differences.

Last edited:
Since XSX has a 384bit memory config I don't think it needs it.

PS5 probably does though on 256 bit.
Probably neither console has enough bandwidth.

The person who say as definitive if is need it or not only exists 3 options:

1)Is breaking a NDA
2)Is lying
3)Was allow by AMD to say it

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Guys Infinity Cache is L3 cache. We know the XSX die has no L3 cache. PS5 likely does not have any either.

Too expensive for console SoCs.

The PS5 SoC is 300 mm or less. It has an entire 8 core CPU in it and 40 CUs.

The 6800 XT is 500 mm or more, has 128 MB cache, and 80 CUs. It doesn't even have a CPU in that die. It costs $650 just for a GPU.

Consoles can't afford this kinda of stuff. They have to compromise.

sinnergy

... which makes me think the XSX is kind of an adapted RDNA2 GPU while PS5 is straight up RDNA2? Since all High end RDNA2 cards shown feature Infinity Cache? Also, low clocks on the GPU...

By this I don't mean anything to detract from XSX GPU, just pointing at the differences.
To confirm your motive ? I saw a clock speed equal to XSX on the 6800 == 2080ti on that slide, must be the XSX setup ... see how this works ?

both consoles are custom

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I though today was when we'd learn that Sony invented RDNA 2 and had so much exclusive tech that was going to blow everyone out of the water? What happened?
No reason it would be revealed at an AMD event focused and trying to sell on their discreet GPU's, although the higher clocks as well as the 256 bit memory bus does add credence.

Although I do find it hilarious how AMD's cards already have ray tracing ready for a number of games even though they're using the same DirextX 12 API as Series X.

kyliethicc

Why don't they need it? It's used due to low bandwidth which unfortunately PS5 does suffer (448GB/s is not a lot), Also not a lot on the XSX either
Its plenty of bandwidth. The 3070 is 448 GB/s too.

The Xbox has even worse split bandwidth. 336 GB/s bottleneck.
Series S is only 224 GB/s at best, split, some at just 56 GB/s.

The consoles will be fine. They're not $1000 monsters.

Weird I didn't see any base clocks that high
That's a problem with your vision mate, I'd have that checked out if I were you :messenger_grinning_squinting:

radeon-rx-6800-xt-100863939-large.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Before this forum, I didn’t realize there are people that hate Sony. Not because they destroy the environment, abuse workers, or support a horrible political system, but because they make a video game system that Microsoft competes with.

I prefer Sony but don’t hate Microsoft, but it seems like some people have a hate for Sony. I don’t get it. Why? Riky, X-fighters new alt account, Elias, Satans Reverence, why?
200.gif

Before this forum, I didn’t realize there are people that hate Sony. Not because they destroy the environment, abuse workers, or support a horrible political system, but because they make a video game system that Microsoft competes with.

I prefer Sony but don’t hate Microsoft, but it seems like some people have a hate for Sony. I don’t get it. Why? Riky, X-fighters new alt account, Elias, Satans Reverence, why?

It is always amazing but from what I can see both sides are equally just as bad, many a walking contradiction.

duhmetree

OOF

hopefully id Software takes over. I was never that into Halo. Played it on the OG Xbox and enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind it being 're-imagined/re-booted'

Make Halo into a Destiny type of FPS RPG. Or do what everyone else is doing.. Battle Royale. CoD has had a MAJOR resurgance with their Battle Royal. This current generation of gamers do not enjoy/stick to competitive arena shooters. You can't compete with CS or Valorant

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So I'd 2.23GHz PS5s game lock or boost clock? If it's the boost clock then the game clock will probably be around 2GHz.

Anyone know he TFs for the PS5 at 2GHz? Just speculating here.
I don't think it's accurate to describe the PS5's APU in terms of game clock and boost clock, we would have known already if that was the case. The PS5 also has a lower number of compute units compared to the 6800 and 6900, also more interesting when you think about the variable frequencies and "race to idle" that's in the APU.

Although the fact that the discreet GPU's can stick to 2+ Ghz as the game clock considering the number of compute units they have should say enough for what the PS5 is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom