• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rea

I thought the Xbox had some equivalent sound processing capability? Wasn’t that what came out of hot chips?

I’ll admit I don’t tend to play with headphones so I haven’t paid too much attention...
Oh yes! Series X also have powerful audio processor, but they don't talk about much. Most 3rd party games only advertise ps5 Tempest 3D audio support and never talk about Series x, so i forgot about that, lol. But i still believe that ps5 Tempest Engine is more superior and that's one of the advantage of ps5.

Rea

Technically you can do everything the Tempest Engine can do via compute shader — it’s a CU after all. However, the API provided determines how easy to implement and how willingly the devs include it.
Tempest Engine is CU but different architecture, it's not a simple CU slap inside the gpu, its modified and proprietary of sony, hence called Tempest Engine. series X has also powerful audio processor that supports 3d audio and dolby atmos. But i don't think It's audio can do whatever Tempest Engine can do, i believe Tempest is superior.

Lethal01

"By the way, all filters are also available outside of Photo Mode during ordinary gameplay, including one designed to tune brightness, contrast and color levels to closely resemble those of the original PS3 game, for those who may prefer that classic look."

Nice.

Sound nice, although you can't just throw a filter over a game and then match the look of another game. Fun little gesture though.

BigLee74

Regarding video capture time on the XSX/XSS...

If it's anything like the X1X, I'm pretty sure you need an external drive (USB HDD will suffice) for captures longer than 1 minute.

inflation

Tempest Engine is CU but different architecture, it's not a simple CU slap inside the gpu, its modified and proprietary of sony, hence called Tempest Engine. series X has also powerful audio processor that supports 3d audio and dolby atmos. But i don't think It's audio can do whatever Tempest Engine can do, i believe Tempest is superior.
Cerny said they remove the cache in a CU and run priority software on it via DMA. From HotChips slides, XSX uses 2x 4way SIMD DSPs and 4x FP engines (scalar).

HRTF-based methods to achieve 3D audio needs to perform a lot of FFTs to process the audio signal in real time, which can fully utilize the parallelism of a GPU.

Rea

Cerny said they remove the cache in a CU and run priority software on it via DMA. From HotChips slides, XSX uses 2x 4way SIMD DSPs and 4x FP engines (scalar).

HRTF-based methods to achieve 3D audio needs to perform a lot of FFTs to process the audio signal in real time, which can fully utilize the parallelism of a GPU.
You're right but xbox didn't mention that they have SPU like architecture for audio processing, Cerny said cell processor is best for parallel processing. The series x can support hrtf but that doesn't mean they will be used in xbox. The difference is, sony might be using it's own algorithm for hrtf calculations and xbox will use ray trace audio and support for dolby atmos.

FrankWza

LOscOi0.jpg

hot

At least pan out so we can see the red ring.

Sinthor

Gold Member
With all these stupid lockdowns, people getting consoles day 1 and having this happen to them, it'll be a shitshow.

Well, I agree it will get more play than in 2013 since almost everyone has cellphones with video, Twitter, etc., but it's completely normal for a certain small percentage of electronics to break within 30 days or be DOA. A product launch like these will be- any DOA or issue will immediately be posted to the internet and spread EVERYWHERE. So while the actual ratio will probably be the same as happened with the PS4 for example, our exposure to it will be a lot quicker and more pervasive. That's all. UNLESS of course, there really ends up being some serious manufacturing issue with either console that nobody picked up on....somehow.

sircaw

Banned
What info do you expect to drop tomorrow, Caw?

My bets for tomorrow will be this

-Lots of sexy load times,
- new look at one of Astro bots levels. the jungle one i hope.
-A shed load of spider man footage, a new villain reveal
-New demon souls footage, outside area, please.
-Some digital foundry people not knowing how to control themselves, i believe this quote will be said by Richard. "The xbox was great but the Ps5 is truly on another level"

-Bloodborne 60/4k patch
-Dark would of wet himself in regards to the ps5 Tempest engine while frothing at the mouth playing sack boy.
-dictator not sure if ray tracing has been implemented yet and how the pc will probably look better in a $1500 card
- deep dive into the menu systems and voice navigation of the system

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem will make 12 new threads with 2000 0000 ultra-high screenshots in each
Riky Riky will probably post another gears5 video.
@x-fighter will be watching, probably popping bubble wrap.

AND a lot of SMILES EVERYWHERE. :messenger_grinning:

-Some digital foundry people not knowing how to control themselves, i believe this quote will be said by Richard. "The xbox was great but the Ps5 is truly on another level"

-Bloodborne 60/4k patch
-Dark would of wet himself in regards to the ps5 Tempest engine while frothing at the mouth playing sack boy.
-dictator not sure if ray tracing has been implemented yet and how the pc will probably look better in a $1500 card

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem will make 12 new threads with 2000 0000 ultra-high screenshots in each

here we go :messenger_grimmacing_

Rea

Okay. You think it should run at low speed on the menu UI ?

When I open the console, everything looks normal, fan is clean and rotates perfectly, so I don't know. I thought it was the thermal paste, but PS5 is coming soon anyway. ^^
My pro behave the same, there's a time when i was watching u tube on pro and then i started FF7 remake, after booting to main menu screen, the fan spinning so loud then the blue screen appeared and shut down. I have learned my lesson and never watch u tube on my pro again.

inflation

You're right but xbox didn't mention that they have SPU like architecture for audio processing, Cerny said cell processor is best for parallel processing. The series x can support hrtf but that doesn't mean they will be used in xbox. The difference is, sony might be using it's own algorithm for hrtf calculations and xbox will use ray trace audio and support for dolby atmos.
I’m not familiar with ray traced audio but Dolby Atmos for Headphone does seem to use HRTF-like technique, so it sure needs some processing power, which is the FP SIMD DSP that specifically states can do FFT

THEAP99

Banned
Can't imagine anyone reviewing the PS5 without Demon Souls.
I believe Lance McDonald said last week that journalists aren't getting it till the 11th. Which is very unlike Sony for some reason. It's also fucking bullshit if true because it's literally the only next gen only game.

I also talked to a buddy who knows a journalist for a main outlet who has the ps5. When asked about Demon's Souls, he said "maybe next week."

In regards to Miles Morales, he said:

"it's incredible. legit could be better than Spidey 1. it's that good. i dunno if it IS better, but the fact that's a question tells you it's that good. like even story wise, they did miles good. the music is as amazing as it sounds"

"Is it short?"
"yes it's short. the story anyways."

bitbydeath

Gold Member

-Bloodborne 60/4k patch

Should get lots of reviews too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom