• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Yeah the auto record your gameplay feature to save/share. PS4 Pro can do it up to 60 mins (1080p SDR) and we know PS5 can do 4K HDR recording, just not sure how long. I hope at least 5 mins.

Apparently Xbox X/S can only do up to 1 minute of 1080p SDR auto recorded video. Kinda shitty. Maybe they'll change that later.

The thing is rewriting data like this continually will kill the SSD life. I wouldn’t be surprised if PS5 has a similar limit.

In fact hopefully they’ll offer an option to stream to an external Harddrive or usb.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I think they may also be still determining/developing how the OS will setup with the additional drives.

Sony will absolutely want to prevent people from ignoring their approved drives list and putting in any old SSD, which will affect the performance of the OS and a lot of games, which will have engines expecting an ultra fast SSD.

The OS could perform a speed test for the SSD when first formatting it and tell the user if it’s not good enough, or the OS could look at a supported model list that the SSD will have to be in.

I think the reason Sony has disabled the drive is that there will only be a limited set of supported drives. You’ll have to put a specific supported drive in, not just any drive that meets the generic specs.

I think they’ll have to do that to map the priority levels onto the external SSD, manage the speeds and integrate it into their controller firmware bearing in mind an external drive will have its own contoller built in.

Axonometri

I think the reason Sony has disabled the drive is that there will only be a limited set of supported drives. You’ll have to put a specific supported drive in, not just any drive that meets the generic specs.

I think they’ll have to do that to map the priority levels onto the external SSD, manage the speeds and integrate it into their controller firmware bearing in mind an external drive will have its own contoller built in.
Me mind wonders, could an expansion board be made minus the PC controller bits at a lower price point? hmm

ToadMan

I agree. But there's been a lot of chest beating about ssd this past 7 months

The “chest beating” isn’t about UI boot times or even really the basic load times of games.

That’s just been the misinformed shade thrown around to try and minimise the impact of a > 2x delta in data throughput performance between Xsex and PS5.

It’s always been about what changes it can bring to game design and fidelity as was clearly stated by Cerny over 6 months ago.

Only games designed for next gen will show these kinds of features - it’s not something that can be measured and compared on launch day.

Can you turn off "invasions" on Demon Souls?

Nothing about that sounds fun to me.
I always play Souls games offline. Most annoying shit ever, having random people disturb me. If I couldn't play Souls/BB offline, I would never ever play them. I hate seeing signs that other player has left as well, it totally breaks my immersion and reminds me of other people. For me, the single player experience is almost sacred.

Each to his own 🙂

kyliethicc

The thing is rewriting data like this continually will kill the SSD life. I wouldn’t be surprised if PS5 has a similar limit.

In fact hopefully they’ll offer an option to stream to an external Harddrive or usb.

I agree Sony should give users options, and even let concerned users disable the auto recording entirely. Options are always better.

But the flash will have a write endurance of like 600 TB written. Even with constant 4K recording of 5 mins clips and writing game files over ti e, most users will never get to that wear endurance limit in 5-6 years.

Samsung had the 970 Pro SSD with 1200 TBW endurance and cut it down to 600 TBW for the 980 Pro because they found that like 99+% of users don't need more. The PS5 uses basically the same type of TLC 3D NAND, should be same endurance.

It should be fine. I'll probably only need the console for like 4-5 years or so before I just get a PS5 Slim/Pro anyways.

Last edited:
I agree Sony should give users options, and even let concerned users disable the auto recording entirely. Options are always better.

But the flash will have a write endurance of like 600 TB written. Even with constant 4K recording of 5 mins clips and writing game files over ti e, most users will never get to that wear endurance limit in 5-6 years.

Samsung had the 970 Pro SSD with 1200 TBW endurance and cut it down to 600 TBW for the 980 Pro because they found that like 99+% of users don't need more. The PS5 uses basically the same type of TLC 3D NAND, should be same endurance.

It should be fine. I'll probably only need the console for like 4-5 years or so before I just get a PS5 Slim/Pro anyways.
Well this article from 2019 states that SSD's now would last about 10 years so I wouldn't worry at all.

Codeblew

Internet gone full retard ?

WE have Ps5 coffins, some dude probably decided to wash down his xbox using a hose or whatever.

This is getting silly, everyone should be ashamed.
Electronics randomly breaking is nothing new. Shit happens. I don't know why people make a big deal about > 1% of them out there are defective.

ToadMan

Me mind wonders, could an expansion board be made minus the PC controller bits at a lower price point? hmm

I guess they could produce a PS5 specific SSD - that would be similar to the one for Xsex. Remove the unnecessary duplicated features and save a bit of cash.

The question then though is if the built in controller can manage 2 discrete SSD devices.

The Xsex has an internal 4 lane controller - 2 lanes for the internal SSD and 2 for the external.

PS5’s is also 4 lane but if you reduced it 2x2 like the Xsex the throughput would be less than the 5.5gb/s. 2 lanes maxes out at 3.5gb/s if I remember correctly.

So somewhere in the PS5 hardware there are some extra - probably 4 more - lanes beyond those for the internal SSD.

The block diagrams of the PS5 didn’t seem to show exactly where an external SSD pipes in its data.

kyliethicc

Well this article from 2019 states that SSD's now would last about 10 years so I wouldn't worry at all.

Yeah I'm not worried, I'll get my 5 years or so of use out of it. Then I'll just buy a new PS5 (slim/pro) etc.

I usually don't use the same console, phone or laptop for more than 5 years. I made my og PS4 last from 2014 to 2019 until I sold it and it felt fucking old by then lol.

Thats why I'm not concerned that the PS5 flash is soldered to the board. It'll be fine

Hmm, so I came across PS5 is too hot and thus had to be shutdown image from somewhere in reddit. Should someone be worried at this?
At least you want to do this to your console don't worry.

34IfOHJ.jpg

Even a Nintendo Switch can die in that way.

Uhhhhhhhh wtf is this? I think it deserves its own thread. Too bad I can't make threads

I guess all PS games will come to PC, just like Xbox games.
It’s just free money for Sony basically.

Hmm, so I came across PS5 is too hot and thus had to be shutdown image from somewhere in reddit. Should someone be worried at this?
It’s fake, or not?

Last edited:
I guess all PS games will come to PC, just like Xbox games.
It’s just free money for Sony basically.
It's bullshit. This is business for dumbs. Exclusives are the only thing that makes you look at the Sony's console as a console that you want to buy and not build a PC. Microsoft has a merge gamepass, Sony has their own exclusives, and they need to stay within the ecosystem to stay competitive. Otherwise, over time, PS5 will lose its attractiveness to players as a buy. Need another useless Xbox? Fuck it.

ToadMan

It's bullshit. This is business for dumbs. Exclusives are the only thing that makes you look at the Sony's console as a console that you want to buy and not build a PC. Microsoft has a merge gamepass, Sony has their own exclusives, and they need to stay within the ecosystem to stay competitive. Otherwise, over time, PS5 will lose its attractiveness to players as a buy. Need another useless Xbox? Fuck it.

Its not that bad is it? Nintendo is doing well - massive sales right now.

So we can all just game on that and Sony and MS and everyone else will just put their content there.

Sounds like the best outcome all round.

I guess they could produce a PS5 specific SSD - that would be similar to the one for Xsex. Remove the unnecessary duplicated features and save a bit of cash.

The question then though is if the built in controller can manage 2 discrete SSD devices.

The Xsex has an internal 4 lane controller - 2 lanes for the internal SSD and 2 for the external.

PS5’s is also 4 lane but if you reduced it 2x2 like the Xsex the throughput would be less than the 5.5gb/s. 2 lanes maxes out at 3.5gb/s if I remember correctly.

So somewhere in the PS5 hardware there are some extra - probably 4 more - lanes beyond those for the internal SSD.

The block diagrams of the PS5 didn’t seem to show exactly where an external SSD pipes in its data.
It have been known for months that PS5 have more lanes and add-on ssd doesnt cut anything from the internal one

It means they released Horizon on PC and somebody had the job of analysing sales projections and developing the pricing model and storefront support for it to earn a $50 million return

Means it probably sold about 1 million at $50 a pop
I doubt it's just about Horizon, these past 12 months they released Detroit, Predator Hunting Grounds, Death Stranding and Horizon on PC so probably those 50 million are including those 4 games which I don't know if it's good or bad.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I always play Souls games offline. Most annoying shit ever, having random people disturb me. If I couldn't play Souls/BB offline, I would never ever play them. I hate seeing signs that other player has left as well, it totally breaks my immersion and reminds me of other people. For me, the single player experience is almost sacred.

Each to his own 🙂
I won’t enter in spoilers but but I strong recommend to play Demon’s Souls online.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
SSDs today have a bigger lifespan than mechanical HDD.

Seems to me they always had, since ever SSDs hit the market, I've seen and even experienced myself so many HDD drives dying in the past 20-25 years, whereas I haven't even heard of a single example of SSD needing a replacement, with some people having close to a decade old devices, I only read about the (supposed) issue on the internet, and what I read are not even real cases but empty concerns, not backed up by any actual data. By simple logic - the less mechanical parts there are, the less chance of failure. The drives in the upcoming consoles will outlive the fans and BD drives, those are the parts that will die first, I have no doubts about it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Seems to me they always had, since ever SSDs hit the market, I've seen and even experienced myself so many HDD drives dying in the past 20-25 years, whereas I haven't even heard of a single example of SSD needing a replacement, with some people having close to a decade old devices, I only read about the (supposed) issue on the internet, and what I read are not even real cases but empty concerns, not backed up by any actual data. By simple logic - the less mechanical parts there are, the less chance of failure. The drives in the upcoming consoles will outlive the fans and BD drives, those are the parts that will die first, I have no doubts about it.
Anecdotally the only HDD that I have died recently it was a "portable" 3'5 hdd from 2004 or 5 I think.
Most of my HDD's still works from more than 10 years ago, I think one of them is old enough to vote.

chilichote

According to Dealer, you can run the enhanced Sea of Thieves XSX version from an external drive.
They think is weird because we've been hearing from both companies that for a game to take advantage of the console's I/O you would need to play from the internal storage.
Tbh, this podcast is interesting, no warring just answering questions about the console.

Maybe their are using the full USB-Speed?

ToadMan

Nope. Ain't gonna happen, online is a 100% deal-breaker for me. I'd rather not play at all.

Then I’d suggest not to play this series of games at all.

While they’re not online focused, disabling it removes a significant chunk of the experience - particularly later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom