• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkMiller

Watch Dogs: Legion will replace podcasts voiced by journalist Helen Lewis-for her past transphobic statements

Oh, just fuck off you hammering cunts.

Mr Moose

Just question, we can t play ps4 games on external hdd or ssd ? We must transfer ps4 games on internal ps5 ssd?
I think you can play PS4 games from external, but not PS5 games.
Edit:
Extended-Storage.jpg

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Watch Dogs: Legion will replace podcasts voiced by journalist Helen Lewis-for her past transphobic statements

LOL. The death of feminism. Lovely! Gotta love how the fascists demand perfect adherence to whatever they think!

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Regarding load times, has anyone seen:

1. How activities impacts load times? Take Spider-Man for example, it takes 3 seconds to load the menu and 2 seconds to load the save. Does pulling the save from activities mean it just takes two seconds to get into the game from the OS? Or is it a combination of both eg. 5 seconds?

2. Has anyone talked about the quick resume load times for powering down a console with a single game? The demo showed with Sackboy that it was instant. Has this been shown with other titles?

reksveks

1. How activities impacts load times? Take Spider-Man for example, it takes 3 seconds to load the menu and 2 seconds to load the save. Does pulling the save from activities mean it just takes two seconds to get into the game from the OS? Or is it a combination of both eg. 5 seconds?

Very good question, interested to know that as well.

Dibils2k

Well, we do know how scripted review NDAs are for "influencers," so don't try and hide that, @dark10x.

"Paid" is a figure of speech to the swag, site hits, and potential subscribers/patreon for said "hands on first perks." Nobody wants to piss off the provider.
your problem is that you confuse journalists or "media" with influencers

relationships are totally different for those 2 things

the problem with people who believe what you believe is they tend to only bring this up when its an opinion they dont agree with

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This lunacy never ends.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
your problem is that you confuse journalists or "media" with influencers

relationships are totally different for those 2 things

the problem with people who believe what you believe is they tend to only bring this up when its an opinion they dont agree with

My opinion was straight down the middle benign. So save the "you people" language for someone else.

Xextil_

Neo Member

According to this video, it takes about 7-8 seconds:

THEAP99

Banned
Sony needs to fix this loading times bs. Their raw throughput is higher than Xbox's compressed, so there is no excuse. It can't be blamed on Kraken or anything else, it's something utterly wrong with BC software.
I agree. All these clips are spreading everywhere now. They're being embarrassed. It's not looking good.

Hopefully we get some comparisons between games actually built for these next gen consoles soon and not just backwards compatibility..

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So I was watching the video just now and NX Gamer mentioned how games played via backwards compatibility will NOT benefit from the I/O and subsystems of the PS5 and this is due to "inherent programming logic". I asked for clarification and he suggested I watch his earlier video on the PS5 and next generation SSD and I came across another quote.

"Now as I covered in my SSD replacement tests, the main benefit you see from the switching to the SSD from a mechanical hard drive is those load times, now this is because you are no longer working at your slowest point, as this is no longer the disc sourcing consoles, it moves to the CPU or the bandwidth of your RAM or the I/O port itself...now this be it a PS4, a Xbox One or top end PC with a PCIE 4.0 drive, you will only be as fast as the code allows and you will have resident in RAM the allocations set by the programmers..."

This might explain why we're seeing strange load times from both consoles as well as unexpected results.

Yup NXGamer NXGamer confirmed it.

Kerlurk

Banned
Sony needs to fix this loading times bs. Their raw throughput is higher than Xbox's compressed, so there is no excuse. It can't be blamed on Kraken or anything else, it's something utterly wrong with BC software.

To go from unnoticeable, unless you got your stopwatch going to even more unnoticeable???

Yeah gosh Sony, you have to fix this!

Fanboys from the opposite camp are laughing at us!

edit: some people are under the impression I don't know he is talking about BC, when it clearly says BC in his post. It's a 5 to 10 second difference on 30 second to over a minute loads, and yes, that is not noticeable, unless you got your stopwatch going.

Last edited:

I was a little surprised, but it might make sense as MS put more money and time into BC and its paying dividends - whereas Sony are clearly more focused on newer experiences (not to say their BC is terrible).

I think the loading of cross gen/next gen games (built with IO in mind) will tell a different story.

So what/when is the Digital Foundry surprise?

Sometime next week when the second PS5 embargo lifts.

Last edited:
getting both consoles at launch but have to be honest the ps5 blows the xbox series x away at launch,much better games,better graphics,even better backward compatibilty in most cases frame rate>resolution every time for me. i also think that most multiplats will run at better frame rates on ps5 but xsx will have higher res.i hope xsx doesn't go down the same path as the one x higher res at the cost of frame rate.yes the xsx is the more powerful on paper but it's the games that count and at launch here and now the ps5 is way ahead.

Take a breath man...

Codeblew

If the PS4 pro can compete in a cold boot without problem against both new gen consoles only using a traditional sata SSD
then both need work in its respective software.
Cold boot times have very little to do with SSD speed. I don't get why people were expecting a massive improvement there. The OS isn't even stored on the SSD. Most of the time spent booting is used to initialize devices, doing integrity checks and security checks. Also loading the OS from flash memory and starting OS related services in the background.

Iced Arcade

isn't anything to fix. most games are a couple seconds within single digits in the difference. both consoles got a big upgrade with load times.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Take-Two is in talks to buy Codemasters For $970 million

Awful deal. Codemasters only release bombas. Worth nowhere close to that amount of money. Sony lucked out getting Insomniac on the cheap.

Last edited:

Boglin

Sony needs to fix this loading times bs. Their raw throughput is higher than Xbox's compressed, so there is no excuse. It can't be blamed on Kraken or anything else, it's something utterly wrong w
with BC software.

I don't think it will be fixed unless it's at a per game basis. I believe if the PS5 is downclocking to 1.6ghz/2.13ghz for general hardware emulation then it is a natural drawback for method they chose and it leaves performance on the table. Microsoft's higher level API's and hypervisor were always going to allow Xbox game code to be more portable and more easily brought to future hardware. XSX gets to use its full 3.8ghz and their faster BC loading times are a consequence of that.

Last edited:
Considering all of the coverage on PS5, my guess is that a game is included with the PS5 that they haven't announced yet. Don't know what else it could be

aclar00

You can play PS4 games from external.

You cannot play PS5 games from external nor even save them there as cold storage to move back later. You must always delete and redownload for space.

Hope the cold storage is fixed with an update, and also nvme as cold storage as well. i cant think of a reason why neither of these are avilable, Obviously they would be quicker to transfer to the internal than re-downloading or installing from disk....fix it SONY. Shoulf be first thing in the 1.25 update or whatever.

Great Hair

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom