• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IICch02.png

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He is not talking about new games, there are no next-gen 3rd party games available for comparisons yet. He is talking about BC.
Wait seriously? It's 4 days til XSX releases and 6 until PS5 and nobody has next-gen 3rd parties?

lol

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Miles Morales looks amazing. The DF video has reaffirmed my decision to play the game in fidelity mode. I'm really not a framerate whore, so those added reflections really add a nice level of realism to the city. I'm also stoked that they've accomplished all of this at a solid 30fps too. Fans of 60fps look like they'll be getting a nice visual package as well. Good job, Insomniac. I have a feeling R&C is going to blow my socks off.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Things will get tweaked for both platforms. Even under BC.

Any news on Last of Us 2?
4k 60?

Last Of Us 2 adds another 50s tothe loading time. So if you were looking for more time to browse Beograd, Sony go you covered.

Wait seriously? It's 4 days til XSX releases and 6 until PS5 and nobody has next-gen 3rd parties?

lol

They will have codes for review units, but publishers aren’t sending multiple version codes. We might have to wait until they launch.

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

My theory on PS4 BC load times:

PS4 has a hardware Zlib texture decompression unit...

PS5 has it's own custom texture decompression unit...

It's possible that for PS4 games that haven't been patched to do so, their textures aren't decompressed on the custom PS5 hardware, but rather have to go through the CPU. Or maybe there is no patch to do so at all, and no PS4 game will ever load that fast on PS5.

So raw I/O is much faster, but any compressed texture then hits a bottleneck.

Source: my ass... it's the taught ass of someone whose been developing software for 22 years, but still an ass.
Apparently the load times for some games on PS4 Pro with SSD is faster than both Xbox Series X and PS5.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where is this from?

Weird. I‘ve read everywhere that the XSX is actually much quieter. And that the PS5‘s PSU makes a weird noise.

It is also weird how some reports of load times are way off from experience with Ghost of Tsushima on the PS4. Like double the times off.

So something is up, either lying, or don't know how to measure time.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

lol
They probably are getting them right now, but it's not like they've had all these games for weeks. Jeff Gerstmann was saying in their PS5 video that games like Watch Dogs still haven't made the next gen version available yet.

sinnergy

People like this need to stop posting and do some research. I guarantee you later down the line that the loading times on the PS5 BC games will drastically improve.
And why wouldn’t they also improve on Series X? But they aren’t now .. for a company that touted its Ssd solution it’s kinda bad pr...

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Loading times in BC won’t improve.

You gotta change the file structure and the compression.

BC fantasy is no more. On Xbox quick resume is a really nice workaround for BC titles, and when quick resume comes to PS5 that will make it a tad bit better but yeah, still... what a shame.

2 seconds man jeez. SNES days are BACK!

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Loading times in BC won’t improve.

You gotta change the file structure and the compression.

BC fantasy is no more. On Xbox quick resume is a really nice workaround for BC titles, and when quick resume comes to PS5 that will make it a tad bit better but yeah, still... what a shame.

I don't know, they worked on Witcher 3 it loads pretty fast on PS5, a lot faster than on XSX. I guess they have to work the same on every game, SSD speed must break some games and they had to restrict that, or it's some kind of bug. Not sure if they'll want to do it. Not a big deal actually.

Last edited:

Tmack

Anyone still disappointed with XSS? I realy hope that developers will not care about that abomination of the console and if they want to go for graphics fidelity with 1440p30fps on PS5/XSX they will just do it and left XSS behind with 720p.

XSS was a big mistake that will bite MS in the end.

Mr Moose

What?
  • Battle Pass Bundle Bonus: Unlock new gear and goodies even faster. PlayStation players that purchase the $20 Battle Pass Bundles will get an additional 5 tier skips. That’s a total of 25 tier skips!
  • PlayStation Party Bonus: Teamwork makes the dream work. PlayStation players that play together in parties receive +25% bonus weapon XP. The bonus still counts when playing with cross-platform teammates.
  • Double XP Bonus: PlayStation players can look forward to exclusive Monthly Double XP events (24 hr duration), so prepare to boost your rank.
  • Extra Loadouts: Be prepared for any scenario. PlayStation players get an additional 2 loadout slots, ready for customization. Available when Create-A-Class unlocks upon reaching Level 4.

OK I don't like this. Especially the battle pass part.

Last edited:

7thedon7

Neo Member
Seems there may be an issue with load times on PS5 for PS4 games. See this TLOU2 example..

PS5 takes 50 seconds longer then PS4 which of course should never happen. Not sure if this is intermittent or only happens for this TLOU2 level but could indicate a PS5 issue that may be able to get a firmware update to address.

I'm still hoping TLOU2 is going to get a free PS5 patch for 60FPS, they could also improve load times with this patch.

at 3:28 mark there is a comparison of load times and it is faster on PS5.

What?
  • Battle Pass Bundle Bonus: Unlock new gear and goodies even faster. PlayStation players that purchase the $20 Battle Pass Bundles will get an additional 5 tier skips. That’s a total of 25 tier skips!
  • PlayStation Party Bonus: Teamwork makes the dream work. PlayStation players that play together in parties receive +25% bonus weapon XP. The bonus still counts when playing with cross-platform teammates.
  • Double XP Bonus: PlayStation players can look forward to exclusive Monthly Double XP events (24 hr duration), so prepare to boost your rank.
  • Extra Loadouts: Be prepared for any scenario. PlayStation players get an additional 2 loadout slots, ready for customization. Available when Create-A-Class unlocks upon reaching Level 4.

OK I don't like this. Especially the battle pass part.

These are so fucking retarded

Skimming from the barrel

Ive read that nowhere.

Why am I a troll for telling the truth? They wrote this, not me:
Der Lüfter ist leiser als der von Vorgängerkonsolen. Allerdings ist er lauter als bei der Xbox Series X, außerdem gibt er zeitweise ein unschönes Sirren von sich. Wenn sich dann noch eine Disc im Laufwerk dreht, schafft die Playstation 5 fast wieder das Lärmniveau etwa der Playstation 4 Pro.

And this translates to:
The fan is quieter than that of previous consoles. However, it is louder than on the Xbox Series X, and at times it emits an unpleasant buzz. If a disc is still spinning in the drive, the Playstation 5 almost manages the same level of noise as the Playstation 4 Pro

Read it here: https://www.golem.de/news/next-gen-...ing-bling-und-begeisterung-2011-151920-4.html

Der Lüfter ist leiser als der von Vorgängerkonsolen. Allerdings ist er lauter als bei der Xbox Series X, außerdem gibt er zeitweise ein unschönes Sirren von sich. Wenn sich dann noch eine Disc im Laufwerk dreht, schafft die Playstation 5 fast wieder das Lärmniveau etwa der Playstation 4 Pro.

And this translates to:
The fan is quieter than that of previous consoles. However, it is louder than on the Xbox Series X, and at times it emits an unpleasant buzz. If a disc is still spinning in the drive, the Playstation 5 almost manages the same level of noise as the Playstation 4 Pro

Read it here: https://www.golem.de/news/next-gen-...ing-bling-und-begeisterung-2011-151920-4.html

A site that we've actually heard of before please?

Mr Moose

And this translates to:

That's not what others have said.
First of all, similar to Series X, I think that noise is basically a non-issue with PlayStation 5. Close-up to the console, you can hear the slight whir of the fan, but in living room, office or bedroom conditions, this totally disappears into the ambient noise. Fan speeds (and thus noise) also seem remarkably consistent, and even ramping up power draw as much as I could with Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales in photo mode - and then leaving the console alone for an hour - PlayStation 5 continued to be just as cool and quiet. The thermal photography of the system under load is literally illuminating.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PlayStation 5 Asia Celebration
Showcase airs on 11 Nov 23:00 (GMT +8)

You must be as excited as we are about the upcoming launch of the next-gen PlayStation 5 console! In anticipation of this memorable occasion, we have decided to host a celebration event.

and here is another one:

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/playstation-5-im-test,3363681,seite3.html

They wrote:

Einen Aspekt decken diese Messungen allerdings nur bedingt ab: Das gewisse Rattern der Lüfter sowie ein leichtes Spulenfiepen, das unter Spielelast auftritt.

which translates to:

However, these measurements only cover one aspect to a limited extent: the certain rattling of the fans and a slight coil whine that occurs under gaming load.

And both of these sites are pretty huge in Germany. One of the biggest even. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom