• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowcry

XSX seems furious for some reason.

41tk4T8.jpg

Hopefully it is not widespread, however it seems that a lot is happening. I have been commenting for a few weeks now that my gamer spider sense set all the alarms with this setup.

waiting for it to not be true although I hope it is not and that no one gets hurt.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

If that is true, that will be a recall, you can not have people sleeping and something starts barbequing away.

I remember a few years back some vehicle dealer recalled all their cars due to some heater or airconditioner problems, it was a lot of cars.

Vauxhall Zafira's IIRC.

It is a serious issue if it is the capacitors which is why I remain skeptical right now as this doesn't seem to have happened to any of the influencer's units. Could just be vape/joint smoke blown into the system and then filming!

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Guys Ps5 doesn't have better textures on AC is just the video resolution. It's a cross gen game they're nearly identical.

The true next gen showcases are Spider Man & Demon Souls, we're just getting started, Ps5 is a hugely custom Console, no it's not Ps3 like that it'll take 4 years before a true next gen game (Killzone 2) but it'll take more than mere months, let alone launch window.

I know it's all fun we here saying shit & having fun sometimes but on a serious note, both these Consoles will deliver outstanding games at both 30 or 60fps with even new techniques that are being perfected as we speak.
Well Ubisoft has always favored XBOX, so I'm expecting a few small quirks in XBOX's favor, but we shall see.......
To be fair, both Star Wars squadrons and rocket league are 120 FPS on Series S compared to 60 FPS on PS5, so I guess this is more like a case by case basis.

no. It’s the other way around actually and thanks to VRR Valhalla runs way better on XSX, no screen tearing and FPS dips.

Fuck. I guess this also kills the future possibility of having PS5 games on the external drive.
VRR does not make anything run better, maybe it feels a bit better to play, however it's not an answer to low frames and tearing.....As a matter of fact if I'm playing a fighter or shooter, I'd prefer higher frames, controller response and reaction will always be better on the higher frame game....VRR does not introduce extra frames via A.I........It is not DLSS for frames....
LOL
The interface was only in the Menu, after the load / two the appearance of just a puff of smoke

Is that a chimney?

Here's another one.... Fake or genuine 🤷‍♂️

That looks bad, the smoke color, this one looks like the innards is being damaged/melted unlike the one with the lighter white smoke......Previews did say that the unit got exceptionally hot, including the SSD extension......I guess the heat is being dissipated, but not at the cost of the MB melting inside....

sircaw

Banned
Vauxhall Zafira's IIRC.

It is a serious issue if it is the capacitors which is why I remain skeptical right now as this doesn't seem to have happened to any of the influencer's units. Could just be vape/joint smoke blown into the system and then filming!

it could well be that, i have not heard anyone said they heard crackling or exploding, so maybe it's not the capacitors.

the next week should tell us, hopefully, its just a few units and we have seen them all.

#At the end of the day, it Xmas coming up and don't really want people to have to send their toys back, that will suck big time.

So fingers crossed it's just a nothing burger.

user1337

Seems like there is a weird bug with rest mode. Think Jeff might have allude it in the last hot-spot podcast either in reference to the ps4?

Updated to better indicate the cause

Thanks. As someone in the UK I am relying on all the rest of you guys and YouTubers to find all the causes of potential system errors so I can avoid them from next week.

Thank you taking one for the team!

giphy.gif

Garani

They had the console for weeks. It would have occurred earlier. Both console are going to be fine. Couple of defected units is the nature of electronic products. Simple as that. Not everything is a wide spread issue or it have been reported by journalists who got the console for weeks before consumers.

Of course 3 out of 1 million is absolutely understandable. We'll have to wait a bit more, but doen't look good at the moment.

FunkMiller

There's a good chance the Series X up in smoke videos are faked, but if there's truth in it, and there are enough cases, the console will have to be recalled. Certainly in the UK and the EU anyway. Red rings of death are one thing, but smoke is much more serious.

Though to be honest, the whole thing seems dodgy as fuck to me, and very easy to fake.

Last edited:

Seems like there is a weird bug with external drives and/or rest mode. Think Jeff might have allude it in the last hot-spot podcast either in reference to the ps4?

Fuck. I guess this also kills the future possibility of having PS5 games on the external drive.
Oh my GOD microsoft I hope this isn't real ?? Any word on this

No. It’s fake. Why are people so stupid to believe it’s real?

Handy Fake

All ps5s out right now are running prerelease software. There’ll be a day 1 update that’ll hopefully fix most of these issues
Aye, day one patches usually sort out the most egregious issues.
I can't decide whether the Xbox smoking issue is real yet, certainly looks to be though. That's a very odd hardware fault and must be just a singular batch issue. Faulty capacitor batch or something.

Last edited:

reksveks

Godfall is getting reviews. 62 on Metacritic right now

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/godfall?ref=hp

The common threads are
- not as bad as it initially looks
- still kinda boring after a while

As of right now, however, I’m enjoying Godfall, even if it’s not doing much to wow me and the repetition of its missions is wearing a bit thin. It’s got some fun and satisfying combat, a few genuinely novel mechanics, and graphics that range from absolutely gorgeous to a little over the top – but unless its thin story morphs into more than an excuse to go stab stuff, the grindable action-looter structure doesn't seem like it has enough variety to sustain its otherwise expansive customization.

MastaKiiLA

XSX smoking videos could well be fake. I think it's always good to give these things time to breath, and let the truth shake out. However, anyone who's had a power supply fail on a PC knows that amount of smoke isn't unusual. That and the acrid smell of electrical fire filling your room is a very unpleasant experience. I've had a PSU fail on a desktop once, and then on an electric razor. The razor was when I plugged a 120v ecig battery charger into a 240v source. Knocked out power to my apartment. Nice mushroom cloud of smoke. I imagine the larger power supply in a next-gen console could generate even more smoke from the larger cap inside. That's the capacitor oil/gel burning.

MastaKiiLA

The common threads are
- not as bad as it initially looks
- still kinda boring after a while
Oof. Might be a hard pass for me. I'll kick the tires when it inevitably comes to PS+. Who knows, maybe the co-op mode will give it some legs. Seems like a game that could be fun with some friends, particularly if there are raids. If they lock that behind the expansion pack, however, then the potential for this game will remain limited.

HAL-01

XSX smoking videos could well be fake. I think it's always good to give these things time to breath, and let the truth shake out. However, anyone who's had a power supply fail on a PC knows that amount of smoke isn't unusual. That and the acrid smell of electrical fire filling your room is a very unpleasant experience. I've had a PSU fail on a desktop once, and then on an electric razor. The razor was when I plugged a 120v ecig battery charger into a 240v source. Knocked out power to my apartment. Nice mushroom cloud of smoke. I imagine the larger power supply in a next-gen console could generate even more smoke from the larger cap inside. That's the capacitor oil/gel burning.
I’m not sure if it’s real, it’s a very unusual type of hardware failure, but I also doubt there’s multiple people who decided on the same night to blow vape smoke into their $500 investment just for kicks.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Please please please tell me these are fake:

I've not seen anyone else complaining about this.

Last edited:

edotlee

Sackboy early impressions (it's good):

Gamesradar:
I've only spent a day with Sackboy so far, and it's hard to think of a game that has delivered so much joy in such a short time. The platforming strikes that perfect balance between challenging and fun, using all sorts of ingenious tricks - motion control platforms, grappling hooks, herding small creatures, planting seeds - to keep things fresh. This is bumping up to the top of my PS5 must-play list alongside Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and it's hard to imagine how it could ruin it, beyond Sackboy suddenly declaring he's a Trump supporter. Keep an eye out for our full review once we've spent more time as a sweet little sackcloth boy in a tiger costume.

Pushsquare:
Obviously, this is designed to be played in co-op, so we’re not planning to pen a review until a second DualSense controller arrives. We’re having an absolute blast with what we’ve played so far, though: this is shaping up to another colourful, creative campaign in a console library that also includes the outstanding Astro’s Playroom.

Honestly, we’re being spoiled at the moment – we really are.

Destructoid:
It's going to suit a certain kind of audience. After you've played your explosive next-gen games, I can see a family sitting down and enjoying Big Adventure together as they slowly pour through every level and try to find the cutest costumes. It's not flashy, but it's a welcome addition to the PS5's lineup.

I came in expecting an adorable serviceable platformer and that's just what I got here. Sumo Digital generally does good work, so I'm excited to see what's next in Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Stay tuned for our full review.

Last edited:

sandkiller

The PlayStation 5 consumes much more power than the PlayStation 4

Source: Nintendosmash.com

:messenger_neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom