• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

renx

That secret sauce 😳

v6DRMv7.jpg

DvKm31H.jpg

jdDUGf5.jpg

I couldn't watch the video. Is this for real ??
Because if this is real, how could anyone say "but the Series X wins at cutscenes". ?
Cutscenes are not important, and comparable to video playback. It could be a codec issue.
But framerates and IQ are the benchmarks that really matter.
I can't believe this. Are these some cherry picked frames, or some kind of trick?

Last edited:

Zadom

I am looking forward to tomorrow and receiving the new generation of PlayStation. I have owned each PlayStation and the Sega Genesis before that and this last generation was easily my favorite with so many quality games. I have high expectations for this new console and I hope we all receive years of great entertainment, even the XBox guys.
EYJHXSi.png

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
WOW the MSocks guy is in full meltdown in the DMC DF thread 😂
Problem is people set their expectations way too high, they thought the difference between the Series X and PS5 would be the same as it was with PS4 over Xbox One and the 1X over Pro. This lead people to believe that the Series X would render natively at 4K while PS5 would be something like 1900P or some stupid number, which was a big mistake, worst case scenario is dynamic resolution for the PS5 which is still really great.

This is just the beginning of the generation, overtime devs will develop significantly better codes and profiles to take advantage of both pieces of hardware so games can run properly and more efficiently, both will have their strengths and weaknesses but we'll have to rely on the good old 400x zoom of Digital Foundry so not much difference from previous gens. Now the first parties, that's where the real magic will be. LeviathanGamer on Twitter stated that in his opinion one of the biggest leaps this upcoming generation will allow will be the use of Primitive and Mesh Shaders and he's got a point, just look at the UE5 demo.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Mine is coming from Jacksonville and it just moved an hour or two ago.
Crap. Well, I hope you get yours tomorrow. Mine hasn't updated all day. I am taking Friday off work as well so I really hope I'm not stuck just waiting and waste the day. We'll see! Just think Sony was being too clever by pre-shipping all these and then asking FedEx to delay delivery.

ethomaz

Banned
Problem is people set their expectations way too high, they thought the difference between the Series X and PS5 would be the same as it was with PS4 over Xbox One and the 1X over Pro. This lead people to believe that the Series X would render natively at 4K while PS5 would be something like 1900P or some stupid number, which was a big mistake, worst case scenario is dynamic resolution for the PS5 which is still really great.

This is just the beginning of the generation, overtime devs will develop significantly better codes and profiles to take advantage of both pieces of hardware so games can run properly and more efficiently, both will have their strengths and weaknesses but we'll have to rely on the good old 400x zoom of Digital Foundry so not much difference from previous gens. Now the first parties, that's where the real magic will be. LeviathanGamer on Twitter stated that in his opinion one of the biggest leaps this upcoming generation will allow will be the use of Primitive and Mesh Shaders and he's got a point, just look at the UE5 demo.
But the power difference this time is way smaller than PS4/XB1 or XB1X/PS4Pro.

Plus there are hardware advantages for each side this time.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I couldn't watch the video. Is this for real ??
Because if this is real, how could anyone say "but the Series X wins at cutscenes". ?
Cutscenes are not important, and comparable to video playback. It could be a codec issue.
But framerates and IQ are the benchmarks that really matter.
I can't believe this. Are these some cherry picked frames, or some kind of trick?
It's real, yes. But they are also cherry picked frames. The other three modes, the ones with RT have some moments going from 40-high in PS5 to 70-low in XSX.
The average is that they perform the same except for the unlocked framerate mode where PS5 shows a big advantage.

It's real, yes. But they are also cherry picked frames. The other three modes, the ones with RT have some moments going from 40-high in PS5 to 70-low in XSX.
The average is that they perform the same except for the unlocked framerate mode where PS5 shows a big advantage.

you forgot to mention that the average FPS is basically the same for both consoles in the framerate mode and that
the whole framerate mode is crap and shouldn’t even be used by anyone.
Also, it’s potentially a bug why the XSX has a lower FPS count in some scenes

anyway, don’t use the framerate mode. And the XSX is better in every other mode. Maybe we will see a patch for the framerate mode, so that XSX will also play better there like in all the other modes.

jamwest24

you forgot to mention that the average FPS is basically the same for both consoles in the framerate mode and that
the whole framerate mode is crap and shouldn’t even be used by anyone.
Also, it’s potentially a bug why the XSX has a lower FPS count in some scenes

anyway, don’t use the framerate mode. And the XSX is better in every other mode. Maybe we will see a patch for the framerate mode, so that XSX will also play better there like in all the other modes.

I’m gonna wager that one of the guys that helped design PS5 would beg to differ and also has in-depth knowledge as to why the PS5 is doing better at the 120 fps modes.. In fact he predicted it would happen in June:

And then mentioned it again today when it came true:

So I don’t know that it’s just an API or dev thing.. It seems that there’s a little extra going on with the PS5’s CPU cache.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I’m gonna wager that one of the guys that helped design PS5 would beg to differ and also has in-depth knowledge as to why the PS5 is doing better at the 120 fps modes.. In fact he predicted it would happen in June:

And then mentioned it again today when it came true:

So I don’t know that it’s just an API or dev thing.. It seems that there’s a little extra going on with the PS5’s CPU cache.

Yeah I’ve seen Matt post a lot about cache latencies and all that mumbo jumbo, with the aim always being to hit high frame rate targets like 120 FPS, might explain why a game like Demon Souls with its extremely dense geometry and rich details hits a solid 60 FPS.

As for the specifics of the PS5 CPU architecture, I’m really waiting on that die shot. RGT leaked months ago that the PS5’s CPU L3 cache was unified like Zen 3 and judging by Matt’s comments as well as real time game performance he might actually be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Ok we can close this thread and start up the new speculation thread for the mid gen refreshes
Nah, we need to have the proper 'launch party' for both systems and get all the initial observations and info out of the way. A lot of people aren't going to be able to get hands on with these systems for a while yet, so they should be able to get that info as well from those who do manage to get them at launch.

Stuart360

Thats a very interesting take. I take it you watched NXGamers video and not Digital Foundys or something?

IkarugaDE

Much fun for everyone in here getting his console today!

I still have to wait one week, but it's okay. Got my Series S two days ago and I really have to say: This is not a bad console. Bought the Gamepass and still had much fun with this small box. IMO it was a good idea to have all consoles this gen. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom