• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

I have played the game, and didnt even finish it as it wasnt for me. I dont care what runs DMC better. But if you are going to fanboy over something, at least try and be fair, and dont pretend 3 of 4 modes dont exist.
As for the 'win' thing, what are you supposed to say when talking about comparisons.

Xsex was supposed to be better for multiplats - so far, there is no evidence it is better in any perceptible way.

And I don't mean 30fps vs 60fps and some people can see the difference better. I literally mean that if you sit anyone down and watch 2 sets of footage without indicators, you would simply not be able to tell which is which. Even freeze framed and zoomed in.

So no, it's not a "win" for xsex - in fact it's lost a key selling point.

So we currently have

Fortnite
Xbox 17 seconds
PS5 13 seconds (76% or 1.3x faster)

AC Valhalla
Xbox 86 seconds
PS5 52 seconds (60% or 1.66x faster)

Which is slightly in-line to what we should expect from that hardware differential.

Why are these comparisons made with multiplatform launch games?

It's only 1st party studios and possibly 2nd or 3rd wave multiplatform and exclusive games that will start to take advantage of these SSD's.

The differences won't be seen anytime soon until devs get a proper handle on the hardware.

sircaw

Banned
You really are the worst at times, you know that?. Just read your post again, what you just posted, it sounds like salty fanboy drivel.
The only meltdowns i see in the DMC thread is from you lot. What does Xbox fans have to be upset about with DMC?, it was best in 3 of the 4 modes, and the 3 modes that will be played the most by far.
And if Zen 2 8/16 cpu, SSD, and a 2080 l;evel gpu for $500 is 'ripping off fans', then us PC gamers are the biggest mugs of all lol.
Anyway i'm not falling out with you again, so i'm done.

I apologize to Sircaw for saying that. Its just tough on here to discuss stuff at times.

No need to apologize dude, i can be a total arse at the best of times. i know that, i think everyone knows that.

It's STILL A 100 BUCKS CHEAPER "lollipop_disappointed: sorry, can't help it, born bad.

Love you Stuart :messenger_heart:

ToadMan

Ubisoft? Marketing deal with MS?
Don't count on it.

That's just a prelaunch co-marketing deal. I don't think after launch Ubi suddenly have to inhibit their sales on other platforms - it's not an exclusive.

Besides, Ubi will want to try out haptics somewhere so better to play with it in an already delivered game so they're better prepared in future developments...

FranXico

It's only 1st party studios and possibly 2nd or 3rd wave multiplatform and exclusive games that will start to take advantage of these SSD's.

The differences won't be seen anytime soon until devs get a proper handle on the hardware.
Multiplatform games are the only comparable thing.
But I see your point, although the argument can be made for performance in general.

Stuart360

Xsex was supposed to be better for multiplats - so far, there is no evidence it is better in any perceptible way.

And I don't mean 30fps vs 60fps and some people can see the difference better. I literally mean that if you sit anyone down and watch 2 sets of footage without indicators, you would simply not be able to tell which is which. Even freeze framed and zoomed in.

So no, it's not a "win" for xsex - in fact it's lost a key selling point.
And i agree fully. Unless one of them was running a game at like a stuttery 50fps compared to 60fps on the other, or one of them running a game at 1440p, and the other at 4k etc, then yes small details should not be a big thing, but it is on here,and always has been on here.Yesterday i said i would chose Valhalla on PS5 becaue of the tearing on that comparison video (which seems to be a fake video now). How many of you lot have said 'Fair play, the 120hz mode is better on PS5, but that mode is still all over the place framerate wise, and the XSX does run the other 3 main modes slightly better, so yes i would say the XSX version of this game is the best version'?.

Stuart360

So now, for comparing load times, instead comparing "load game, continue" or "fast travel" they are comparing since you launch the game with those all unskippable logos?
Well most are testing all. From the console menu, to the title screen, to ingame. And fast travel etc. Its a fair way to do it, and the initial load is always the longest and most annoying.

ToadMan

MS seems scared to release any data about their gaming investments - their financial reports bundle it all in with their desktop business and we usually just get a sentence or two about its performance.

Not very confidence inspiring that as they dump more money into gaming they're going to hold back data that could be used for further analysis by investors. Makes it difficult to analyze growth and growth potential and that makes share price value estimation difficult...

Last edited:

reksveks

What FranXico said, if you wanted to compare just hardware then you could only use multiplatform games. Also comparisons 'now' are still valid as long as that's part of the context, obviously games will better use the SSD's in the future but no-one knows how that will play out so current comparisons are useful. I wouldn't base a hardware product buy 100% on the promise of future software features, its a factor but a small factor.

vkbest

Well most are testing all. From the console menu, to the title screen, to ingame. And fast travel etc. Its a fair way to do it, and the initial load is always the longest and most annoying.

If you are comparing what is faster and how much faster, you should compare "continue" or "new game" or fast travel. For example if one machine is loading a new game on 6 second and other 18, you can see 3x difference, if you are using the initial launch with logos you can't skip (Example 40 seconds) you would have 46 seconds vs 58 seconds.

Besides the initial launch you are only seeing the first time you launch, whereas you will see much other loading screen in your gaming session. The important for me if im playing on open world game is fast travel or loading zones, the first minute is priceless compared to the accumulative loading screens on 1 or 2 hours on gaming session

Last edited:
One weird thing about DMC V on next gen consoles, wasn't announced that the 4K mode with RT would be 30fps? because on the DF video it's running way higher than that... could they lock the framerate at 30 in a later patch?

FranXico

How many of you lot have said 'Fair play, the 120hz mode is better on PS5, but that mode is still all over the place framerate wise, and the XSX does run the other 3 main modes slightly better, so yes i would say the XSX version of this game is the best version'?.
After months of hyperbole about expected 40% to 50% differences, how did you expect "the lot" to react to such a small advantage?

The PS5 version runs slightly worse - except in the 120fps mode where it does a lot better - hardly a deal breaker. People should just play the game where they'll enjoy it the most then.

If stats and numbers are what dictates your experience, fair enough.

Last edited:

user1337

Did I just see all the blood on the snow disappearing after a few seconds in AC Valhalla? Surely these consoles are powerful enough that they don't have to do that anymore?

Again, it has more to do with the development of the game. Example, in demons souls they have put a lot of effort into the destructable items and making sure they don't dissapear when you move from area to area. Time Stamped:

Last edited:

Stuart360

After months of hyperbole about expected 40% to 50% differences, how did you expect "the lot" to react to such a small advantage?

The PS5 version runs slightly worse - except in the 120fps mode where it does a lot better - hardly a deal breaker. People should just play the game where they'll enjoy it the most then.

Dealers stupid tweet was just that, stupid. Not every living 'Xbot' thinks like that, or has said that themselves. In fact i dont think i have seen one Xbox fan on this forum expect anything like 50% motre performancre, or 40-50 extra frames, or whatever Dealer said.

Stuart360

They know they will get demolished by PS5. But believe me, the moment they have slight edge in the US for a month they will be screaming SALEZ!!

I can bet Aaron Greenberg will make sure of that 🤣
Phil did an interview on Bloomberg TODAY saying thats it for sales data, its not coming, and wont even if somehow XSX was leading (The Bloomberg guy said about XSX leading, not Phil).

ToadMan

And i agree fully. Unless one of them was running a game at like a stuttery 50fps compared to 60fps on the other, or one of them running a game at 1440p, and the other at 4k etc, then yes small details should not be a big thing, but it is on here,and always has been on here.Yesterday i said i would chose Valhalla on PS5 becaue of the tearing on that comparison video (which seems to be a fake video now). How many of you lot have said 'Fair play, the 120hz mode is better on PS5, but that mode is still all over the place framerate wise, and the XSX does run the other 3 main modes slightly better, so yes i would say the XSX version of this game is the best version'?.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention when I wrote :

If you watch those side by side with no giveaways you won't be able to tell which platform is which. The fault is on Capcom for not locking frames to 60 ...

There is no perceptible difference. That's the only take away.

Your fanboy "win" nonsense is just that, nonsense...

54355784.jpg

Stuart360

Perhaps you weren't paying attention when I wrote :

There is no perceptible difference. That's the only take away.

Your fanboy "win" nonsense is just that, nonsense...

54355784.jpg
Ok cool. I dont care who 'wins'. Like i said, when talking about comparisons, you have a winner and loser, or runner up, whatever.
Its only a term of speach, it wasnt meant to trigger.

ToadMan

One weird thing about DMC V on next gen consoles, wasn't announced that the 4K mode with RT would be 30fps? because on the DF video it's running way higher than that... could they lock the framerate at 30 in a later patch?

To be honest I think that's the bug right now in that game - it should be capped at 60 or 30 as appropriate. Both versions were super unstable completely unlocked like that. Not sure what Capcom were thinking really. I mean the 120fps mode was down to 60 on xsex at times.... that is basically unplayable.

I think they'll patch it at some point.

MastaKiiLA

I think that 2~8% penalty to PS5 is just vsync penalty. On DF's analysis, XSX version DMC runs with no vsync through VRR. so basically PS5 is almost same realworld performance to XSX . maybe highframe mode is only no vsync mode on PS5.
This is actually an interesting theory, as vsync does lower framerate due to delays required to ensure the frame syncs. This is a known thing in PC gaming. I don't remember DF mentioning this in their video. I wonder if they overlooked this like everyone else, or if this was considered in their conclusion that the versions are equal. Then again, I don't know if it was confirmed that either system was running unlocked outside of the 120Hz mode.

Stuart360

This is actually an interesting theory, as vsync does lower framerate due to delays required to ensure the frame syncs. This is a known thing in PC gaming. I don't remember DF mentioning this in their video. I wonder if they overlooked this like everyone else, or if this was considered in their conclusion that the versions are equal. Then again, I don't know if it was confirmed that either system was running unlocked outside of the 120Hz mode.
Vsync adds 1, maybe 2 frames at a push on PC. And i dont think it even has an effect these dyas, i certainly havent noticed any difference if framerate when doing benchmarks with and without vsync.
And where does it say the XSX version of DMC doesn have vsync but the PS5 does?. I certainly didnt notice a lot of tearing from either consoles in the 60fps modes.

Edit. In fact i dont see any tearing rom either console, even in the '120hz' mode. Having an unlocked framerate doesnt always mean no vsync, it just means they removed the framerate cap.

Last edited:

ToadMan

For me this is a key point.

Trying to decide which console to get, or both, or none! A few months back it looked like it could get expensive - 2 consoles plus accessories plus subscription fees.

As it is with multiplats looking and playing for all intents and purposes, identical on PS5, and nothing exclusive on Xsex for a while, if I go the PS5 way I basically save $500 plus games straight away.

That's a nice feature. Also I only need to make space for one console and my last gen games are improved day one without paying a penny more - not even a subscription fee. So overall that mulitplat parity is really a big draw at this stage - it's probably the thing that tips the balance to just buying a single console for me now. If they run well enough on PS5 then I won't bother with PC upgrades so that'll save another $500 to $700 overall.

Sadly there don't seem to be any consoles available in my part of the World - there weren't even preorders - so it's all theoretical like Tflops in rain ...

Last edited:

cragarmi

I wonder what % we get up to using this feature, i don't think it will be that high sadly but let's see.
This is also the reason PS5 does not need a quick resume. When implemented properly it can give quicker results that the latter. Though the advantage quick resume has is the use in backwards compatibility. I don't see last gen games being patched to implement this.

reksveks

This is also the reason PS5 does not need a quick resume. When implemented properly it can give quicker results that the latter. Though the advantage quick resume has is the use in backwards compatibility. I don't see last gen games being patched to implement this.
If cards and the general quick-loading applied as expected on PS5, think QR is generally going to be more useful on single player games, cards is going to be more useful in multiplayer games and kinda want Microsoft to copy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom