• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
We know Bluepoint are remaking a 2nd game. They teased it a while ago. Symphony of the Night is likely.

Notice this says "not one, but two" and this was after they had said they were remaking a big game.

They're not done. Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls... this is just the beginning.

j8KDRwV.jpg
There are at minimum 6 remakes in that tweet post :p

*Googles "who owns Syphon Filter?"*
Sony IP.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
dRrisPq.png

Series X and Xbox One X blu-ray drive. Both basically the same. That's how Microsoft is saving money.
So that's the second part from the previous gen now in the new console.

I’ve always said this is the trick of “smart delivery.”

Since the Series X is using the same bluray for games, you can put the game in either the SX or XB1 and have that specific version.

The reason you can’t do the same on PS5 is because it’s uses UHD 100gb disc for games. Which obviously the PS4 doesn’t use.

Sony is all about moving forward each generation. You see this in the console design, the UI, the controller and the games. Believing in generations, people keep saying the lied about, is not just about software. Isn’t the entire platform.

So, did Sony purchase Castlevania, Silent Hill and MGS? or did they just work out a deal with Konami?

I heard the OG's at Sony Japan are remaking Silent Hill.
I heard that Mark Cerny is remaking MGS
I heard that BluePoint is remaking Castlevania.

Interesting question as it is very strange that Bluepoint would clearly name drop all those Konami franchises if there weren't already some kind of deal secured between Sony and Konami.

The hint leans heavily towards them working on Castlevania next also.

Lysandros

Good of Bloober to remaster this for next gen and add haptics in.

Seems haptics can be added relatively easy after all ...

It’s important to remember here that the point of Sony’s SSD solution was to provide benefits in game - not just for loading.

There’s still the practicality of game loading for a real scenario. Whether that’s network checks, or playing a video or animation or whatever - unskippable ads lol

So when you’re seeing times like this, it’s constrained by the game design or other technical constraints rather than the SSD throughput.

Demons Souls is an example. If you go check out the developer interview that DF did, they talk about loading data much later than normal that in turn assists fidelity. That’s what the SSD is for - not being a second faster to load than something else.
Friend i know about all that, i watched Road to PS5 three times, i watched the DF interview. PS5 data throughput is supposed to 'at least' 115% higher, all the bottlenecks are suposed to be solved by the hardware blocks within the I/O complex to reach 5.5 GB/s second raw and more compressed. The streaming/game design/new rendering technique you talk about are made possible by this very same high throughput. PS5 can very well be 2.5 times faster at loading AND streaming in game it's not that you have choose one or the other. A game like Spiderman can cold boot in 6 seconds and loads from save in 1.5. All i am saying is that third party games should do better, i can't possibly imagine that PS5's I/O SSD is taken full advantage of while the results are virtually the same as XSX.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well well well

I was expecting more than beating or barely exceeding XSX TBH and I'm not sure why the 2x+ raw speed isn't showing up in these tests.

I guess it's mostly CPU loading things and not assets or something.. so possible PS5 is loading assets faster, but in parallel it's having to wait for the CPU to calculate stuff for what is being loaded.. and so it's raw speed isn't really mattering for load times so much.

(and yes I'm aware the games "can't take advantage of the entire i/o complex"... but the raw ssd speed should still be in use)

The only other theory I have is that XSX BC is doing texture decompression with specific hardware and PS5 is having to rely on CPU or something. But then we might see other issues with asset streaming which nobody has talked about.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
I was expecting more than beating or barely exceeding XSX TBH and I'm not sure why the 2x+ raw speed isn't showing up in these tests.

I guess it's mostly CPU loading things and not assets or something.. so possible PS5 is loading assets faster, but in parallel it's having to wait for the CPU to calculate stuff for what is being loaded.. and so it's raw speed isn't really mattering for load times so much.

(and yes I'm aware the games "can't take advantage of the entire i/o complex"... but the raw ssd speed should still be in use)

Well these are just BC games.

No matter how fast the SSD is it’s still limited by the games being designed around the HDD. It can only do so much to break those limitations.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
Obligatory:
get-ready-for-a-surprise.jpg

So has John Linneman or Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry indicated what they meant by "surprises" when talking about the PS5???

Richard: "and without giving anything away and not talking at all about platform comparisons. Uh I think people are going to be surprised. That's my takeaway there are surprises here. Right yes."
John: "I think we can agree on that there will be surprises"
Both laugh.

From this video, time stamped:

But it could be just this:

Which is a nice surprise.

Originally I thought, Sony had Spiderman and Demon's Souls as big hitters at launch, but we now can add Astro's Playroom and Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

We know John is a big fan of platform games like Knack, so maybe this was the surprise.

Made a thread on this:

Last edited:
It's right next to the SSD controller, so it's SSD cache memory.

Right, it 's 512 MB!!! Not 512 KBytes. (Must not post before my morning coffee!) :goog_downcast_sweat:

Will make up for it, by providing the SK Hynix product page on that:

:messenger_grinning_squinting:
Nah DRAM cache's help mostly with write speeds on SSDs. But just help in boosting speed in general. But who knows how Sony use it. Could help their flash controller too, etc.

But yeah its a half gig, 512 MB.

D'oh! Guess I should have looked at the pics kyliethicc kyliethicc posted right above my reply! Yeah, that is definitely SSD Cache, but didn't the PS4/PS4 Pro have a separate set of memory for running background tasks like the video recording, etc.? I would imagine they wouldn't waste precious GDDR6 on video recording and constantly recording video to a SSD will kill it super quick so they have to have some type of setup to handle that I would imagine. :pie_thinking:

3liteDragon

Obligatory:
get-ready-for-a-surprise.jpg

So has John Linneman or Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry indicated what they meant by "surprises" when talking about the PS5???

I think it went something like this:
John: "There will be surprises."
Richard: [laughing] Yes there will.

Forget which video that was from. If you know, let me know, and I will add it here with timestamp.

But it could be just this:

Which is a nice surprise.

Originally I thought, Sony had Spiderman and Demon's Souls as big hitters at launch, but we now can add Astro's Playroom and Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

We know John is a big fan of platform games like Knack, so maybe this was the surprise.

"including some big surprises", yea we're gonna have to wait another week for this lol.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Friend i know about all that, i watched Road to PS5 three times, i watched the DF interview. PS5 data throughput is supposed to 'at least' 115% higher, all the bottlenecks are suposed to be solved by the hardware blocks within the I/O complex to reach 5.5 GB/s second raw and more compressed. The streaming/game design/new rendering technique you talk about are made possible by this very same high throughput. PS5 can very well be 2.5 times faster at loading AND streaming in game it's not that you have choose one or the other. A game like Spiderman can cold boot in 6 seconds and loads from save in 1.5. All i am saying is that third party games shoul do better, i can't possibly imagine that PS5's I/O SSD is taken full advantage of while the results are virtually the same as XSX.
I understand but dev will need time to get familiar with both hardware.
Asof now and especially with cross gen titles they are limited, and until they are familiar with next gen consoles they will also be limited by the lowest common denominators in both consoles.
It will take time, dev will discovers new things to do and how to exploit both SSD and other components.Right now I won't say they don't know how to use the resources available at their max potential, but they don't have time to.
With APIs updates, familiarity, they will know how to exploit both strenghts and weaknesses of the consoles.
They will have better tools on a hardware they know better, just look at the difference between the beginning of this gen and the end, hell some people couldn't believe TLOU2 or Tsushima could run on a ps4 and it wasn't that long ago.
We are now seeing a glimpse of their possibilities and it looks already really good, I can't wait to see what they are up to and capable of.
Sure it will truly be 1st parties that will shine the brightest And we are far from having seen all that they can do.

Neferlotus

Neo Member
We know Bluepoint are remaking a 2nd game. They teased it a while ago. Symphony of the Night is likely.

Notice this says "not one, but two" and this was after they had said they were remaking a big game.

They're not done. Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls... this is just the beginning.

j8KDRwV.jpg
I think it was both MLID and RGT that hinted that Sony was working on Metal Gear Solid remake. Words solid and metal are also in the tweet.

kyliethicc

I think it was both MLID and RGT that hinted that Sony was working on Metal Gear Solid remake. Words solid and metal are also in the tweet.
of course they way they worded that tweet it could be any of like 10 games lol. But they have another game coming is all we know.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
sorry, but you will be gaming in 1080p. your monitor is 1440p and the ps5 doesnt support 1440p.

go get a 4k tv dude.

He is probably still gaming in 1440p as the PS5 as well as the PS4 Pro lets you set your output to 4k and many monitors downscale the image to 1440p and looks really good in doing so.

Just stopping in to say grats everyone on your new consoles have fun, see you all next week sometime.

IntentionalPun

Well these are just BC games.

No matter how fast the SSD is it’s still limited by the games being designed around the HDD. It can only do so much to break those limitations.
Right ; I recognized that in the post you just quoted.

Raw speed is still a lot higher, and asset loading should be a lot faster. I'm speculating why load times are still roughly the same.

Although the same appears true for 3rd party cross-gen games.

Very glad they are faster than last gen anyways.

Last edited:

PSX

sorry, but you will be gaming in 1080p. your monitor is 1440p and the ps5 doesnt support 1440p.

go get a 4k tv dude.

Got Sony TV downstairs I like my setup being everything close to me in Desk make more sense to me. for being able to switch between consoles and PC.

That monitor doesn't downscale a 4k signal to 1440p?

If you game on a monitor, why wouldn't you get one that does this. It's practically free super-sampling AA. The IQ will be objectively superior in almost all cases to a 1440p natively rendered image.

In which case, I dunno what the whole "PS5 doesn't support 1440p" hubbub was about.

Well, I do... ostensible fanboy insecurity.

IntentionalPun

Then wtf was everyone bitching about the other day lol

another fake controversy?
Not all monitors have it, and not all monitors do a good job at it.

My cheapo 1440p monitors just give you a black screen if you try to give it a 4k signal.

I just got a 4k monitor for PS5.. although it's not as good at gaming as my 1440p monitor was, even though it was cheap.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

before you all judge, here is another PS5 for the downstairs calm down 🤣 I got 4K TV downstairs lol 😂 lord.

zx6hQ4F.jpg
dude i got two PS5s coming in on the same Fedex truck. One from target and one from walmart. I am legit terrified that he will report me for fraud.

thank god amazon delayed my PS5 till after thanksgiving or he wouldve called the police on me.

my brother is buying one from me, but I will keep my amazon preorder just in case one of the consoles breaks on me.

Not all monitors have it, and not all monitors do a good job at it.

My cheapo 1440p monitors just give you a black screen if you try to give it a 4k signal.

I just got a 4k monitor for PS5.. although it's not as good at gaming as my 1440p monitor was, even though it was cheap.

Plenty of folks bought a new HDMI 2.1 compliant TV. And many more yet will still. In which case, if you prefer to game on a monitor, invest in a non-shitty one.

It's kinda pointless spending $400 - 500 on brand-spanking new gaming hardware (designed to game at 4K) only to play it on a shitty cheap panel.

SlimySnake

It's Slimy. Dude is the most bipolar critic on this site.
cheer up new gaming is here!

enjoy it everyone, we only get this feeling once every 7 years or so.
im pretty excited. Just picked up Demon, Miles and Ass Creed from target after their rep gave me a 20% discount off the order because the games werent eligible for the Buy 2 Get 1 free deal. Fedex should be delivering my PS5 any time now. He's usually in the neighborhood by now, but not sure whats taking so long. Maybe hes delivering PS5s to everyone.

I really dont understand why people get offended by criticism of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. These companies arent our kids or parents. They are not our friends. If they do dumb shit then it's ok to criticize them. You can like Sony exclusives and dislike Sony practices at the same time. No Horizon or TLOU2 60 fps patches on day one is pretty nuts. It's not bipolar to criticize Sony here.

IntentionalPun

Plenty of folks bought a new HDMI 2.1 compliant TV. And many more yet will still. In which case, if you prefer to game on a monitor, invest in a non-shitty one.

It's kinda pointless spending $400 - 500 on brand-spanking new gaming hardware (designed to game at 4K) only to play it on a shitty cheap panel.
I mean.. options are good... it's kind of pointless for Sony not to support 1440p native.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom