• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Plenty of folks bought a new HDMI 2.1 compliant TV. And many more yet will still. In which case, if you prefer to game on a monitor, invest in a non-shitty one.

It's kinda pointless spending $400 - 500 on brand-spanking new gaming hardware (designed to game at 4K) only to play it on a shitty cheap panel.
I went on an insane buying spree the last couple of weeks. Bought an x900h 75 inch for HDMI 2.1 features only to find out that the 4k 120 fps mode was blurry literally the day I opened it up.

Then the LG CX went on sale, and bought that instead thinking its THE best TV in the market. I wanted no more FOMO and said fuck it. Now it has Gamma issues with VRR. Not to mention, i seriously cannot tell the difference in picture quality between the x900h LED tv and the CX OLED and my old KS8000.

I agree that the tv is very important but I will say you dont really need an expensive HDMI 2.1 tv right now. Especially with its best feature VRR having so many issues that might be panel related and not something that can be patched. My 2016 LED panel (KS8000) is still giving me amazing picture quality.

Last edited:

Hashi

What a Journey!! :lollipop_smiling_hearts: You all are awesome I had really great time! And can’t wait to play! :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

to6L1oC.jpg
Have a nice... month :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I was expecting more than beating or barely exceeding XSX TBH and I'm not sure why the 2x+ raw speed isn't showing up in these tests.

I guess it's mostly CPU loading things and not assets or something.. so possible PS5 is loading assets faster, but in parallel it's having to wait for the CPU to calculate stuff for what is being loaded.. and so it's raw speed isn't really mattering for load times so much.

(and yes I'm aware the games "can't take advantage of the entire i/o complex"... but the raw ssd speed should still be in use)

The only other theory I have is that XSX BC is doing texture decompression with specific hardware and PS5 is having to rely on CPU or something. But then we might see other issues with asset streaming which nobody has talked about.

I think people are missing something....artistry. For Demon's Souls, I am 99% certain that they could just flash load levels and blink...you'd be in a new region. But providing a short pause in between traveling allows the use of art, information screens, etc. So it's very possible that this could all be happening quicker but the devs chose NOT to make it that quick.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think people are missing something....artistry. For Demon's Souls, I am 99% certain that they could just flash load levels and blink...you'd be in a new region. But providing a short pause in between traveling allows the use of art, information screens, etc. So it's very possible that this could all be happening quicker but the devs chose NOT to make it that quick.
Eh; possible.. personally think that's unlikely.

There's no reason for a dev to have coded some sort of pause if the assets loaded faster than expected because they'd never have expected assets to load that fast lol..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Just picked up and set up my ps5. It’s beautiful. Slight concern, I can hear a little bit of a clicking sound from it. Only started after a reset to upload software. Is that a fan? Or is it potentially coil whine?

I’m firmly anti-fud, just reporting on what I hope to be nothing at all.

It‘s fine. Just the surveillance camera kicking in. Don‘t masturbate while you’re playing Demon’s Souls and you’ll be fine 👍

Antelope

It‘s fine. Just the surveillance camera kicking in. Don‘t masturbate while you’re playing Demon’s Souls and you’ll be fine 👍
I get hot for Myazaki every time you died flashes on the screen. It’s hard to control myself.

I think I was being paranoid. I was fishing wires around and probably had my head much closer to console than I ever would otherwise. Sounds like a computer running. I’m used to Apple products that only turn on the fan when they are about to melt through the table.

DrDamn

I was expecting more than beating or barely exceeding XSX TBH and I'm not sure why the 2x+ raw speed isn't showing up in these tests.

I guess it's mostly CPU loading things and not assets or something.. so possible PS5 is loading assets faster, but in parallel it's having to wait for the CPU to calculate stuff for what is being loaded.. and so it's raw speed isn't really mattering for load times so much.

(and yes I'm aware the games "can't take advantage of the entire i/o complex"... but the raw ssd speed should still be in use)

The only other theory I have is that XSX BC is doing texture decompression with specific hardware and PS5 is having to rely on CPU or something. But then we might see other issues with asset streaming which nobody has talked about.

Well if you think about it a back compatibility game is loading about 5GB of data? So raw speed wise both could load that in a matter of seconds. So if you are looking at total load times of 20-25 seconds then most of that is doing things other than loading for both. So it's not a great pure speed comparison is it? You'd expect only a couple of seconds difference as that's the difference in our load times the rest is processing, network stuff, unpacking etc.

ethomaz

Banned
Then wtf was everyone bitching about the other day lol

another fake controversy?
I was about to reply you but somebody showed that he received 2 PS5... I almost had a heart attack.

Edit - Now I'm fine.

It is because two things:

• Old 1440p monitor doesn't do that.
  • The downsample on the monitors are inferior to the one done by the console (in that case forget PS5 because he doesn't do that but the downsample of the monitor is inferior to Xbox downsample).
These are the two mains reasons.

PS. To be fair the number of gamers affected by that is so small but so small that yeap it is a overboard complain.... if you have a TV it is 1080p or 4k... if you have a monitor the chances to have a 1440p one without downsample support plugged in a console is well... I can see why Sony choose not to support it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

"I came in expecting One X's 4K30 quality mode running at 60fps but unfortunately that is not the case."

This is bizarre. The Series X is 2x more powerful and should easily be able to run the same 30 fps quality mode at 60 fps now that they have a much better CPU aiding the GPU.

And this is before the 25% RDNA IPC gains. There is a serious bottleneck somewhere in the XSX system. It definitely isnt the CPU or RAM bandwidth which is 560 Gbps so it has to be that the GPU isnt keeping up.

Imtjnotu

This is bizarre. The Series X is 2x more powerful and should easily be able to run the same 30 fps quality mode at 60 fps now that they have a much better CPU aiding the GPU.

And this is before the 25% RDNA IPC gains. There is a serious bottleneck somewhere in the XSX system. It definitely isnt the CPU or RAM bandwidth which is 560 Gbps so it has to be that the GPU isnt keeping up.
Or the game has a cap on the frame rate that hasn't been removed with an update

Metro Demon's Souls preview is giving me a semi:

Metro said:
Either way, this is a staggeringly beautiful game, with every location looking like some interactive painting, ripped from the front cover of the sort of lurid fantasy novel that inspired the series in the first place.

...it’s easily the best looking game on the PlayStation 5 – a clear step ahead of Spider-Man: Miles Morales – and by that virtue one of the best looking console games of all time

On DualSense haptics:

If Demon’s Souls is the first proper PlayStation 5 exclusive it’s almost overwhelming to think what games might look like in a couple of years from now. Although the DualSense controller also plays a major part in making the game feel so unique and ‘new’. The haptic feedback effects are subtle but as you press down one of the adaptive triggers to pull off a heavy attack the rumble you feel is subtly different depending on whether you hit the wall, the floor or an enemy’s blade.

...and when you roll out of the way the sound effects and controller feedback is completely different depending on whether it’s stone or wooden floorboards you’re moving over.

tumblr_n409r41Y0c1rlb6iho1_400.gif

Last edited:

kyliethicc

"I came in expecting One X's 4K30 quality mode running at 60fps but unfortunately that is not the case."

"Xbox Series S is designed to run native 4K content at 1440p. Here, 33 per cent of the rendering power is deployed to deliver just 25 per cent of the pixels - there should be overhead here, but that doesn't quite seem to be the case with actual in-game performance."

The "1440p console" once again is a 1080p at best console.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Eh; possible.. personally think that's unlikely.

There's no reason for a dev to have coded some sort of pause if the assets loaded faster than expected because they'd never have expected assets to load that fast lol..
But we've seen whole levels loaded in a snap with R&C??? We've heard devs already talk about slowing things down with some of these games. I mean...unless the specs are a complete lie, no reason it shouldn't be possible? That's just what I'm thinking. We don't know enough yet, but look at spider man. Even as a cross gen game it's transitions, at least most of them are instant, where loading was needed before. I think this will be fascinating to see and hear how it's talked about as this generation goes forward.

so no 60 fps patch for horizon? wtf is GG doing?

This really shouldnt be this hard. TLOU2, Uncharted, GOW only being 1080p 60 fps and now Horizon. Come the fuck on.
In case you missed on the PC version, the game has some serious shit locked to the 30fps in the engine. Not worthy spending money and time to unlock frames when they have a sequel to deliver next year.

vkbest

In case you missed on the PC version, the game has some serious shit locked to the 30fps in the engine. Not worthy spending money and time to unlock frames when they have a sequel to deliver next year.

Sony is not making patches even modern games such as TLOU2 or Death Stranding. So this looks like Spider-Man (remaster), Sony want our money again

gt_connect

Neo Member
I went on an insane buying spree the last couple of weeks. Bought an x900h 75 inch for HDMI 2.1 features only to find out that the 4k 120 fps mode was blurry literally the day I opened it up.

Then the LG CX went on sale, and bought that instead thinking its THE best TV in the market. I wanted no more FOMO and said fuck it. Now it has Gamma issues with VRR. Not to mention, i seriously cannot tell the difference in picture quality between the x900h LED tv and the CX OLED and my old KS8000.

I agree that the tv is very important but I will say you dont really need an expensive HDMI 2.1 tv right now. Especially with its best feature VRR having so many issues that might be panel related and not something that can be patched. My 2016 LED panel (KS8000) is still giving me amazing picture quality.

Hi, when you say that cx doesn't have a better picture quality overall, does the blacks on CX make games pop even more than on LCD LED? In your opinion it doesn't made a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom