• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
very good times and will probably get even better over time.

Would like to know whats going on with the tomb raider one though, why is the pc one so much faster, and the consoles are so far away, that don't seem right or its against the grain.
PC had a late release, no? It could be a newer build with better optimization for SSD... something you didn’t need for PS4/XB1 versions.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I'm not sure it would make sense for PS5! I get why Mark Cerny/Sony added the 1GB in PS4 Pro the way they did to free up GDDR5 for devs but it wouldn't be an elegant solution for PS5 IMO but who knows.

Looking at the PCB not only does that DDR4 chip only seem to connect to the SSD controller, it also seems to be the only DDR4 chip on the board and not 2 (512MB) chips in clam shell like in PS4 Pro.

I'm no expert obviously but I would be surprised if that DDR4 is used for anything other then SSD cache.
My guess also, i think it's DRAM for the SSD.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alrighty -

Now that I've had some time with the XSX - I'll jump in with my initial thoughts (compared to my X1X)... :)

• No - it doesn't smoke or catch fire :)
  • Haven't tried the ping pong ball trick yet (I have one somewhere around the house though and it's on my to-do list)
  • Size:
    • It's actually smaller and more compact that I expected
  • Sound:
    • Hard to believe - but it's QUIETER than my X1X - seriously.
    • In a very quiet room while playing the X1X - I could occasionally hear some light fan noise from typical viewing distance from the TV when playing a game that pushed the console.
    • With the XSX - nothing. The only time I "hear" any noise is by literally going up to the console and putting my ear above the vent. I now hear my dog snoring more instead.
  • Heat:
    • I run it vertically - and yes there's warm air coming out of the unit
    • However - at least in my instance - running the same game(s) side by side - if I were to place my hand over the vents for each - I'd say the exhaust from the X1X feels hotter - primarily due the fact that the exhaust is much smaller and less distributed than the XSX
  • Performance:
    • Significant increase in overall system performance compared to X1X
    • Seriously - everything is faster - it literally feels like my high-end custom PC I've built
    • Load times:
      • ALL Games consistently load MUCH faster
        • Even my older BC (X360 thru X1X) games off of my external 4TB HDD load significantly quicker than from the X1X
      • Games on internal SSD are extremely fast as well - loading consistently in similar times as compared to my PC
    • Game Performance:
      • Significant and enhanced stability in overall gameplay experience across all games
      • All current and BC games I've played through over the past 2 days run 30/60fps and full target resolution
        • For the X1X games that have had noted/expected framerate issues - it's not visible or an impact on XSX
Overall - very impressed with the console - especially when I compare the price of the console directly to what I've invested in my PC over the past several years.

My two cents and speculation regarding the whole DF DMC "#framerategate" discussion:
  • Both versions look impressive
    • We've finally entered a new era in gaming where the consoles are closer than ever to what is currently available via high-end PCs at a fraction of the cost
  • IMHO it's clear from the video (and other games being actively displayed on YT) that there is additional optimizations to be implemented.
    • Remember - most of these initial wave of release titles have been rushed in some form/fashion in order to make deadlines and street dates
    • I expect additional updates/patches come out addressing the noted high framerate mode drops will be forthcoming as the GDK/APIs mature and developers acclimate to these new consoles
  • For the majority of people playing consoles today - unless they've just RECENTLY bought a new TV - they'll be limited to the capabilities of the TVs they currently have today
    • The majority of these currently only support 30/60fps
    • Framerate and stability are a MUST now -
      • I expect the majority of games this generation will target 4K/60fps as standard, at least for the next 2-3 years
  • It's way too early to discern any difference in overall performance "advantage" when comparing the XSX vs the PS5 - especially on this one particular game.
    • Game engines and software are malleable and constantly evolving
    • I wouldn't be at all surprised that another game yields a similar experience with respect to 120fps framerate mode showing more drops/hitches on the PS5 versus XSX
  • I expect both consoles to perform admirably and within normal 4k/60fps targets.
    • I expect a lot of videos from DF on this - with some variations in overall resolution based on the game engine - with a harsh eye on any game that dips below 60fps (as it should be)
Buy the system you think will best fit you. Personally I'm buying both because I've been playing games since Atari console days and since then I've played/owned practically every console brought to market. I just can't seem to get my grubby hands on a PS5 pre-order - though "today could be the day"..

Finally - Don't get too wrapped up in resolution and framerate discussions - enjoy and experience the game as the developer worked so hard to provide for you to play.

For many of the best games I've ever played in my life - resolution and framerate wasn't even on the radar. Nowadays - I think experience is lost on many focused so much on championing their console of choice.
Great detailed post, full of positivity and level headedness (there's not enough here).I am happy you enjoy it that much.

saintjules

Gold Member
fJM87XA.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I do feel bad for everyone in places where the launch is delayed a week or more from today. Covid-19 totally hosed you guys. It's pretty clear that Sony originally planned to do a global launch this time and that would have been awesome. Unfortunately, didn't turn out to be possible.

That's part of why I think this thread needs to stay active a while longer so we can present the remaining info that gets found (day 1 updates as well) along with any issues or things to look for.

No need to feel bad, these are toys after all. Let's be happy that we are fortunate enough in life to enjoy such a hobby.

Resume.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Last edited:

ToadMan

Good of Bloober to remaster this for next gen and add haptics in.

Seems haptics can be added relatively easy after all ...

In that case i dont think the game uses PS5's I/O complex in a meaningful way at all.

It’s important to remember here that the point of Sony’s SSD solution was to provide benefits in game - not just for loading.

There’s still the practicality of game loading for a real scenario. Whether that’s network checks, or playing a video or animation or whatever - unskippable ads lol

So when you’re seeing times like this, it’s constrained by the game design or other technical constraints rather than the SSD throughput.

Demons Souls is an example. If you go check out the developer interview that DF did, they talk about loading data much later than normal that in turn assists fidelity. That’s what the SSD is for - not being a second faster to load than something else.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

No, this is the Samsung DDR4 DRAM up there foggy:

vlcsnap-2020-10-07-16h53m33s380.png

1st-2nd-Gen-10nm-DRAM_main_2.jpg

It is the same thing, Bo. In the Sony teardown the chip used was the Samsung and in Austin Evan's teardown it is a SKHynix chip! Sony dual source (at least, maybe Micron too).

beck_

Its not Digital Foundry, but we could have some ideas.

Loading quick faster on PS5 (26s vs 29s)
solid 60fps in both consoles, and dips in cut-scenes to 30fps in both.

Interestingly, the PS5 card used to get into a quick match still displayed some of the splash screens. I guess third parties may force the splashes even on the card shortcuts :( . Hopefully this is just a sports game thing which enforces the sponsor screens..

Lysandros

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
is 2-3 FPS really better? and even in those modes, they said sonstimes PS5 also had tiny 2 frame leads. Thats a tie.

Only clear "win" was high frame rate mode where PS5 was ahead by 40 FPS at times.

The human eye cannot tell if a video game is at 62 FPS or 59 FPS, too small of a difference. But they can notice 120 vs 80 or 100 vs 60.

If we need a computer frame counter to tell us which one is higher, then its a wash.

Especially when John Linneman in that DF video said that in that mode, it was jarring those huge variations in frame rate.

Almost everyone has 60 fps TV, and so all those other modes are practically 60 fps on PS5. No difference.

Biggest thing not discussed by most people is that the image quality was exactly the same. Last three years, comparing PS4 Pro to Xbox One X, Richard usually said the PS4 Pro image was soft, and he was right, as it tended to be at lower resolution.

Sony is in final negotiations to buy Bluepoint Games (Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus)

kyliethicc

Tripolygon Tripolygon Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

That SK Hynix DDR4 is the same DRAM cache for the SSD as the Samsung DDR4 we saw in the Sony teardown. Sony is just using multiple sources of DRAM for their DDR4 for their SSD cache.

The PS5 does not have extra DDR4 besides this chip for their SSD. Otherwise the entire system is just the 16 GB GDDR6. As they have said.

SK Hynix sourced DDR4 cache for SSD, from Austin Evans teardown

vdWy6nU.jpg

Samsung sourced DDR4 cache for SSD, from Sony official teardown

nw3yH8u.jpg

Last edited:

FranXico

The BD Rom may only support 25GB disc though, 100GB? on the PS5 iirc. Dunno about other game-installs, but that would be a shitty move. Install 25GB from the disc, download the rest from the servers.

The drive itself is an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive though, just like on the One X. That discs are limited to 25GB is a consequence of supporting the same discs across all models.

Once support of the older consoles is dropped, you'll see 100GB discs used on the Series X.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sony is in final negotiations to buy Bluepoint Games (Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus)

Thats a good get. Clearly talented people over there.

Zheph

In the news for Bluepoint on this french website, they mention ResetEra and it says their actual project could be a remake of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night!

Kerlurk

Banned

That SK Hynix DDR4 is the same DRAM cache for the SSD as the Samsung DDR4 we saw in the Sony teardown. Sony is just using multiple sources of DRAM for their DDR4 for their SSD cache.

The PS5 does not have extra DDR4 besides this chip for their SSD. Otherwise the entire system is just the 16 GB GDDR6. As they have said.

Ie2ZmZP.jpg

That prior close up image is the same chip, so this is DRAM cache for the SSD.

It's right next to the SSD controller, so it can't be some other memory.

The PS4/Pro had a small ARM based quad core processor to handle sleep modes (and some other swapping out choirs like video streaming apps on the PS4 Pro), and had additional memory 256 KB (PS4)/ 1 MB (PS4 Pro), but I believe that has been done away with, as the AMD APU based on the "Renoir" mobile architecture has excellent low power modes.

That other chip in the top right of the board, has no memory chip attached to it, so I'm guessing that is not a processor chip to help with sleep mode duties.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Once support of the older consoles is dropped, you'll see 100GB discs used on the Series X.

I doubt it, Microsoft are cheap. They never used Blu-rays on 360, stuck with cheaper DVDs. They want to get rid of game discs via Game Pass anyway. They'll just use regular 50 GB BDs the entire gen and save the cash.

SK Hynix sourced DDR4 cache for SSD, from Austin Evans teardown

Samsung sourced DDR4 cache for SSD, from Sony official teardown
This is correct

kyliethicc

In the news for Bluepoint on this french website, they mention ResetEra and it says their actual project could be a remake of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night!

We know Bluepoint are remaking a 2nd game. They teased it a while ago. Symphony of the Night is likely.

Notice this says "not one, but two" and this was after they had said they were remaking a big game.

They're not done. Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls... this is just the beginning.

j8KDRwV.jpg

Kerlurk

Banned
4Gb (Gigabit) would be 512MB (MegaByte) of RAM. Probably has something to do with the constant game recordings that you can share, it is probably stored in that slower RAM until you save a video or a screenshot to the SSD.

It's right next to the SSD controller, so it's SSD cache memory.

Right, it 's 512 MB!!! Not 512 KBytes. (Must not post before my morning coffee!) :goog_downcast_sweat:

Will make up for it, by providing the SK Hynix product page on that:

:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

kyliethicc

4Gb (Gigabit) would be 512MB (MegaByte) of RAM. Probably has something to do with the constant game recordings that you can share, it is probably stored in that slower RAM until you save a video or a screenshot to the SSD.
Nah DRAM cache's help mostly with write speeds on SSDs. But just help in boosting speed in general. But who knows how Sony use it. Could help their flash controller too, etc.

But yeah its a half gig, 512 MB.

duhmetree

We know Bluepoint are remaking a 2nd game. They teased it a while ago. Symphony of the Night is likely.

Notice this says "not one, but two" and this was after they had said they were remaking a big game.

They're not done. Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls... this is just the beginning.

j8KDRwV.jpg
So, did Sony purchase Castlevania, Silent Hill and MGS? or did they just work out a deal with Konami?

I heard the OG's at Sony Japan are remaking Silent Hill.
I heard that Mark Cerny is remaking MGS
I heard that BluePoint is remaking Castlevania.

Last edited:

Popup

j8KDRwV.jpg
Edit:- oof

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom