• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
Literally at launch and we’ve seen games measured by machine, and you want to pull this crap out?

I mean, I could kind of understand this stupidity 5 months ago when we just had specs and no systems. It’s easy to make spurious claims when there’s nothing to back up the claims.

But to continue this now - you’ve got to really be a frenzied fanboy. Or just technology dyslexic maybe.

What a snowflake.

ToadMan

What the hell are you babbling on about?, calm the fuck down. We were talking about expectations of the differences over the gen, and thats what i'm expecting over the gen. The same framerate targets on both, and XSX having a slightly higher resolution.
What is wrong with that?, its not exactly some wild theory is it.
Jesus.

Whats wrong with it has been discussed for months in this thread. It’s not pro vs X again.

Go back and read from about page 1200.

FrankWza

Both consoles are out. Let the war begin. Give me tech videos counting every fucking pixel. We want blood.

Seriously though, I bet the guys over at DF are crunching so hard right now :messenger_grinning_sweat:
They’re done.
They’re gonna space out the videos to maximize hits. I find that rather interesting;)

ToadMan

I think you need to get some rest or something. Honestly.

e5TZlbq.gif

Imtjnotu

Did you ever get a chance to go on campus?

The campus is small compared to ours(ea) but the displays inside are amazing. Each floor is theme decorated. Their store has to be hands down best company store.
Always walked around never inside. Same with apples new campus and the Samsung campus when he movednto San Jose

THE:MILKMAN

Ahhh that make sense.

I'm not sure it would make sense for PS5! I get why Mark Cerny/Sony added the 1GB in PS4 Pro the way they did to free up GDDR5 for devs but it wouldn't be an elegant solution for PS5 IMO but who knows.

Looking at the PCB not only does that DDR4 chip only seem to connect to the SSD controller, it also seems to be the only DDR4 chip on the board and not 2 (512MB) chips in clam shell like in PS4 Pro.

I'm no expert obviously but I would be surprised if that DDR4 is used for anything other then SSD cache.

kyliethicc

But that was my point, it still performed the best in 3 of the 4 modes, even with bad tools. What happens when the tools mature?
is 2-3 FPS really better? and even in those modes, they said sometimes PS5 also had tiny 2 frame leads. Thats a tie.

Only clear "win" was high frame rate mode where PS5 was ahead by 40 FPS at times.

The human eye cannot tell if a video game is at 62 FPS or 59 FPS, too small of a difference. But they can notice 120 vs 80 or 100 vs 60.

If we need a computer frame counter to tell us which one is higher, then its a wash.

Last edited:
is 2-3 FPS really better? and even in those modes, they said sonstimes PS5 also had tiny 2 frame leads. Thats a tie.

Only clear "win" was high frame rate mode where PS5 was ahead by 40 FPS at times.

The human eye cannot tell if a video game is at 62 FPS or 59 FPS, too small of a difference. But they can notice 120 vs 80 or 100 vs 60.

If we need a computer frame counter to tell us which one is higher, then its a wash.

This.

polka22

so no 60 fps patch for horizon? wtf is GG doing?

This really shouldnt be this hard. TLOU2, Uncharted, GOW only being 1080p 60 fps and now Horizon. Come the fuck on.
This was disappointing but I think the plan is to release the updated version as package with the new Horizon Zero Dawn. It will be similar to Miles Morales and the previous Spider-Man game.

HoofHearted

Alrighty -

Now that I've had some time with the XSX - I'll jump in with my initial thoughts (compared to my X1X)... :)

• No - it doesn't smoke or catch fire :)
  • Haven't tried the ping pong ball trick yet (I have one somewhere around the house though and it's on my to-do list)
  • Size:
    • It's actually smaller and more compact that I expected
  • Sound:
    • Hard to believe - but it's QUIETER than my X1X - seriously.
    • In a very quiet room while playing the X1X - I could occasionally hear some light fan noise from typical viewing distance from the TV when playing a game that pushed the console.
    • With the XSX - nothing. The only time I "hear" any noise is by literally going up to the console and putting my ear above the vent. I now hear my dog snoring more instead.
  • Heat:
    • I run it vertically - and yes there's warm air coming out of the unit
    • However - at least in my instance - running the same game(s) side by side - if I were to place my hand over the vents for each - I'd say the exhaust from the X1X feels hotter - primarily due the fact that the exhaust is much smaller and less distributed than the XSX
  • Performance:
    • Significant increase in overall system performance compared to X1X
    • Seriously - everything is faster - it literally feels like my high-end custom PC I've built
    • Load times:
      • ALL Games consistently load MUCH faster
        • Even my older BC (X360 thru X1X) games off of my external 4TB HDD load significantly quicker than from the X1X
      • Games on internal SSD are extremely fast as well - loading consistently in similar times as compared to my PC
    • Game Performance:
      • Significant and enhanced stability in overall gameplay experience across all games
      • All current and BC games I've played through over the past 2 days run 30/60fps and full target resolution
        • For the X1X games that have had noted/expected framerate issues - it's not visible or an impact on XSX
Overall - very impressed with the console - especially when I compare the price of the console directly to what I've invested in my PC over the past several years.

My two cents and speculation regarding the whole DF DMC "#framerategate" discussion:
  • Both versions look impressive
    • We've finally entered a new era in gaming where the consoles are closer than ever to what is currently available via high-end PCs at a fraction of the cost
  • IMHO it's clear from the video (and other games being actively displayed on YT) that there is additional optimizations to be implemented.
    • Remember - most of these initial wave of release titles have been rushed in some form/fashion in order to make deadlines and street dates
    • I expect additional updates/patches come out addressing the noted high framerate mode drops will be forthcoming as the GDK/APIs mature and developers acclimate to these new consoles
  • For the majority of people playing consoles today - unless they've just RECENTLY bought a new TV - they'll be limited to the capabilities of the TVs they currently have today
    • The majority of these currently only support 30/60fps
    • Framerate and stability are a MUST now -
      • I expect the majority of games this generation will target 4K/60fps as standard, at least for the next 2-3 years
  • It's way too early to discern any difference in overall performance "advantage" when comparing the XSX vs the PS5 - especially on this one particular game.
    • Game engines and software are malleable and constantly evolving
    • I wouldn't be at all surprised that another game yields a similar experience with respect to 120fps framerate mode showing more drops/hitches on the PS5 versus XSX
  • I expect both consoles to perform admirably and within normal 4k/60fps targets.
    • I expect a lot of videos from DF on this - with some variations in overall resolution based on the game engine - with a harsh eye on any game that dips below 60fps (as it should be)
Buy the system you think will best fit you. Personally I'm buying both because I've been playing games since Atari console days and since then I've played/owned practically every console brought to market. I just can't seem to get my grubby hands on a PS5 pre-order - though "today could be the day"..

Finally - Don't get too wrapped up in resolution and framerate discussions - enjoy and experience the game as the developer worked so hard to provide for you to play.

For many of the best games I've ever played in my life - resolution and framerate wasn't even on the radar. Nowadays - I think experience is lost on many focused so much on championing their console of choice.

Alrighty -

Now that I've had some time with the XSX - I'll jump in with my initial thoughts (compared to my X1X)... :)

• Haven't tried the ping pong ball trick yet (I have one somewhere around the house though and it's on my to-do list)
  • Size:
  • Sound:
    • In a very quiet room while playing the X1X - I could occasionally hear some light fan noise from typical viewing distance from the TV when playing a game that pushed the console.
    • With the XSX - nothing. The only time I "hear" any noise is by literally going up to the console and putting my ear above the vent. I now hear my dog snoring more instead.
  • Heat:
    • However - at least in my instance - running the same game(s) side by side - if I were to place my hand over the vents for each - I'd say the exhaust from the X1X feels hotter - primarily due the fact that the exhaust is much smaller and less distributed than the XSX
  • Performance:
    • Seriously - everything is faster - it literally feels like my high-end custom PC I've built
    • Load times:
        • Even my older BC (X360 thru X1X) games off of my external 4TB HDD load significantly quicker than from the X1X
      • Games on internal SSD are extremely fast as well - loading consistently in similar times as compared to my PC
    • Game Performance:
      • Significant and enhanced stability in overall gameplay experience across all games
      • All current and BC games I've played through over the past 2 days run 30/60fps and full target resolution
        • For the X1X games that have had noted/expected framerate issues - it's not visible or an impact on XSX
Overall - very impressed with the console - especially when I compare the price of the console directly to what I've invested in my PC over the past several years.

My two cents and speculation regarding the whole DF DMC "#framerategate" discussion:
    • We've finally entered a new era in gaming where the consoles are closer than ever to what is currently available via high-end PCs at a fraction of the cost
  • IMHO it's clear from the video (and other games being actively displayed on YT) that there is additional optimizations to be implemented.
    • Remember - most of these initial wave of release titles have been rushed in some form/fashion in order to make deadlines and street dates
    • I expect additional updates/patches come out addressing the noted high framerate mode drops will be forthcoming as the GDK/APIs mature and developers acclimate to these new consoles
  • For the majority of people playing consoles today - unless they've just RECENTLY bought a new TV - they'll be limited to the capabilities of the TVs they currently have today
      • I expect the majority of games this generation will target 4K/60fps as standard, at least for the next 2-3 years
  • It's way too early to discern any difference in overall performance "advantage" when comparing the XSX vs the PS5 - especially on this one particular game.
    • I wouldn't be at all surprised that another game yields a similar experience with respect to 120fps framerate mode showing more drops/hitches on the PS5 versus XSX
  • I expect both consoles to perform admirably and within normal 4k/60fps targets.
    • I expect a lot of videos from DF on this - with some variations in overall resolution based on the game engine - with a harsh eye on any game that dips below 60fps (as it should be)
Buy the system you think will best fit you. Personally I'm buying both because I've been playing games since Atari console days and since then I've played/owned practically every console brought to market. I just can't seem to get my grubby hands on a PS5 pre-order - though "today could be the day"..

Finally - Don't get too wrapped up in resolution and framerate discussions - enjoy and experience the game as the developer worked so hard to provide for you to play.

For many of the best games I've ever played in my life - resolution and framerate wasn't even on the radar. Nowadays - I think experience is lost on many focused so much on championing their console of choice.
Very nice post! Detailed and informative, thank you!

I'm waiting myself for Xbox to start putting out some sweet treats (looking at you, Everwild, and you too, Avowed) to jump the gun and pick up one, but good to read a hands on experience so beautifully displayed.

reksveks

Hey guys remember XSX advantage in loading times, looks like with patch day one games are loading faster on ps5 or having same loading times as XSX...

Loading what to what? If you look at the IGN video, imo, typically series x just basically wins cause it goes from main menu to game faster in most cases.

sircaw

Banned
Alrighty -

• Size:
  • Sound:
  • Heat:
  • Performance:
    • Load times:
    • Game Performance:

Glad your enjoying your new consoles, new hardware is always awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom