• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think Sony can out do nvidia all of a sudden. Jesus I get being fan but this going way to far. They will be limited in RT to what AMD is offering with some tweaks. This won't compete with the shear transistors nvidia tosses at the problem with tensor cores and other items. Sure it might out do MS great but it still is a distant second to nvidia. Then each iteration of cards that improve on the solution. This is really first generation RT. In 4 years it will perform much better with techniques we never thought of today. Look where shading started and vast improvements in techniques over the years. The huge breakthroughs like unified shaders in xenos. We can respect what Sony has done with being realistic. This won't compete with what nvidia does

Im basically saying that It Will support the tech good enough to have great visual impact like Im expecting series X to do also.

I did not mention NVidia and their fFuture 1000 dollars High end gpus

R600

Banned
In non if generations gpu jump was 2 to 3 times it was much higher . Maybe thats why he feels people aill be dissapointed ? You are holding onto a nonnsense .

Xsx 12.08 tf and ps5 12.94 tf
Nah, guy is full of shit. If he said 13TF + RT + VRS back in August people would go nuts. The fact that he said it will be disappointing clearly points to him not knowing shit. Not that we know, but we are speculating. This guy is building up his yt chanel while working 12hr night shifts in Alaska witu next gen specs in hands. Sure...

In any case, I saw everything posted by Komachi/Apisak and Usman so post you are referring to from Oct is no news to me. That same post is actual article from June 2018, so you can google it.

In the end, its all about being insecure. I have not read one thing from hardcore sony fans here that wasnt mocking and shitting on others. Tells you alot when people call me MS fanboy and I was first one not believing (still not tbh) about 12TF XSX number. So, in the end its just insecurity IMO.

I have a VERY clear method on how I got PS5 specs. I speculate its likely true, and nothing insiders told can make me say "fuck it, its bs". Why? Because they dont know the specs. They hear vague rumors, someone gave them tidbits, but nothing concrete.

With Apisak/Komachi info we have following :

Gonzalo ES1 - January 1.0GHZ GPU (Ariel codename) + 8 core 1.6GHZ base clock Zen2 - console codename

2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9

Gonzalo ES2 - April 1.8GHZ GPU (Ariel codename) + 8 core 1.6GHZ base clock Zen 2 - console codename

ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8

Firestrike score - 20K+ (as per Apisak, 2x the first Gonzalo)

Flute benchmark QS - July 1.8GHZ GPU (Ariel codename) + 8 core 3.2GHZ boost (1.6GHZ base) clock Zen2 with 1/4 of L3 cache

16GB of GDDR6 RAM on 256 bit bus + 18Gbps chips (highest clocked chips available)

Oberon QS - August GPU (Ariel codename)

GPU clocks

Base 2.0GHZ
BC2 911MHZ
BC1 800MHZ

Firestrike score? If Gonzalo at 1.8GHZ is 20K+, with 2.0GHZ it would put it around 21.5K (~2080 territory).

D96L89cWsAA-698.jpg

So this is where I got the numbers. Its there, clear to see. If tomorrow Xbox codename leaks, and we get good connection between Arden, iGPU (1607 is the code) and some kind of benchmark (like Flute is, which was pulled after one day) I will be first one to look into it and call it for what it is.

Now, consoles can still be 12-13TF beasts, and I would like it, but I think everything credible (at least for PS5 for now) points to 9-10TF. If there is official spec leak, or we got something concrete, Ill gladly change my mind. Since not even Spencer confirmed 12TF as in actual TF Ill wait for a bit.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Im basically saying that It Will support the tech good enough to have great visual impact like Im expecting series X to do also.

I did not mention NVidia and their fFuture 1000 dollars High end gpus
Of course it is this has been all but confirmed. Most sources say Sony has enhancements to pull a head of Microsoft. In the end both solutions are lower end and will need to be used carefully not to tank performance.

I don't think anyone but a few trolls think Sony are amateurs considering every legitimate source has them ahead in power on the GPU with the better storage.

NeroDaGod

What's the wait then? Surprise me.

Yeah man you're totally right, PS5 is gonna be 8TF while Xbox SeX is 12TF+, people just need to learn to accept it. All the 8TF rumours are right while the other rumours that claim the PS5 is more powerful are rubbish.

Pfft Sony, they're so dumb and clueless, why do they even think they can compete with the Microsoft overlords with all of their sw and hw knowledge coupled with Uncle Bill's money?

Microsoft completely outsmarted them by getting a GPU a whole 4TF+ better than theirs because obviously as we all know, AMD would prefer to side with Microsoft over Sony.

Sony have no idea how they even completely dominated or should I say completely shat all over Microsoft this last gen.

They'll never do it again it was all a fluke.

Arrogant Sony trying to hide their specs for some kind of hype reveal...

Their underpowered, non RT, 8TF next gen console won't even be better than Lockhart much less the Series X, they even claim they'll have a quicker SSD but we all know Series X will have an even faster one.

They should just quit out of the next gen race and even dare I say console industry I mean, why even be in it? With Microsoft's brilliant idea of bringing out 2 SKUs that are both better than the PS5, it won't even get over 1000 sales. Everyone will just buy an Xbox with their amazing Game Pass and all their other pro-gamer policies.

All Sony does is publish walking simulator games anyway, who even wants any of that? Xbox's yearly Halo, Forza and Gears of War adaptations is what we all want. They are just superior franchises with practically limitless potential!

/s

Haxxor777

Neo Member
They’re both using RDNA2 as it requires that for Ray-Tracing which is already confirmed.
That's yet another thing. Sony has been kinda shady when it comes to RT, whether it's HW or SW based. I think they said something about HW, probably could implement it somehow even with rdna 1 arch.

bitbydeath

That's yet another thing. Sony has been kinda shady when it comes to RT, whether it's HW or SW based. I think they said something about HW, probably could implement it somehow even with rdna 1 arch.

No stop with the BS.

Given the many questions he’s received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”

Last edited:
No, coz bc deeply baked into hw of xboxes, I guess MS just thought through it more thoroughly than Sony did, even with the base Xbox One if you didn't know.

You talk as If You know a Lot about whats happening on Sony backstage throughout the development of the PS5.

The only official and vague info about ps5 is super fast ssd, Ray tracing 8k etc, wich means incorporating ALL the trendinG Future technology wich point to a powerfull hardware, but You seem to be Very sure about ps5 being Very underpowered compared to séries x despite some insiders stating that both Will be at the Very least equally as powerfull, and It seems that this is what some devs already said that too.

You dream too high in a very negative way. You dont want both to be beasts, one as powerfull as the other wich is good for the industry. You want one in particular tô fail. You want that Xbox one dejavu ALL over again but in your favor lmao

Yes. Just from a business perspective - it will/does outperform flash, so it will be priced more expensively .. just because..

However - it's possible, not totally unlikely, that 3DXpoint type memories (both Optane and SonyReRAM) will ultimately be cheaper to produce than flash, as the "unit cell" per bit is simpler .. but that's a way off, and also requires economies of scale.

In a fanboy's wet dream Sony ignores potential profit from ReRAM, and adds the tech to PS5 at cost to give technical superiority .. (I don't believe this)

I agree with you that ultimately, PCM-style memories will replace NAND flash. Prices on average per GB may still be 4x-5x more than even SLC NAND, but PCM-style memories have only seen small-scale deployment to consumer PC devices (persistent RAM variants are still only available for server markets). If either console standardized, say, even 64GB's worth of 3D Xpoint, that would do a lot for pushing it as a standard supported on PC motherboards more, and also help with driving cost per GB down.

You're right that it's probably a fanboy dream to imagine either 3D Xpoint or ReRAM in these systems at any capacity that's of DRAM-level performance and flexibility. But if either were to be found in either system even as a slower (but still much faster than NAND) SSD-style storage cache, it would be 3D Xpoint (which Micron produces; I believe Intel now produces their own variant).

Sony being able to bring SSD-style ReRAM storage at 64GB-128GB capacities for PS5 would be great (persistent RAM class level of ReRAM at that capacity would be even better), and would help lower costs over time as well. But the just hasn't been enough developments with the tech to indicate it'd be ready at those capacities and manufacturable at those amounts in time for 2020. It's nice to fantasize about it, and the tech world always has it's surprises, but I'm not not prioritizing ReRAM being a possibly, personally. Not even really postulating 3D Xpoint being a possibility, but it has better chances out of the two.

Ah, has anyone else seen this vid?

Really enjoyed this vid and it does postulate a potential direction for XSEX going forward, because one thing is absolutely clear: MS needs its own niche. It can't just try being a better Sony, only Sony can be Sony and they're very good at it.

Would also serve as a reason why it's shaped like a PC tower (and like the video says, they haven't shown it from the rear yet, either).

Haxxor777

Neo Member
Yeah man you're totally right, PS5 is gonna be 8TF while Xbox SeX is 12TF+, people just need to learn to accept it. All the 8TF rumours are right while the other rumours that claim the PS5 is more powerful are rubbish.

Pfft Sony, they're so dumb and clueless, why do they even think they can compete with the Microsoft overlords with all of their sw and hw knowledge coupled with Uncle Bill's money?

Microsoft completely outsmarted them by getting a GPU a whole 4TF+ better than theirs because obviously as we all know, AMD would prefer to side with Microsoft over Sony.

Sony have no idea how they even completely dominated or should I say completely shat all over Microsoft this last gen.

They'll never do it again it was all a fluke.

Arrogant Sony trying to hide their specs for some kind of hype reveal...

Their underpowered, non RT, 8TF next gen console won't even be better than Lockhart much less the Series X, they even claim they'll have a quicker SSD but we all know Series X will have an even faster one.

They should just quit out of the next gen race and even dare I say console industry I mean, why even be in it? With Microsoft's brilliant idea of bringing out 2 SKUs that are both better than the PS5, it won't even get over 1000 sales. Everyone will just buy an Xbox with their amazing Game Pass and all their other pro-gamer policies.

All Sony does is publish walking simulator games anyway, who even wants any of that? Xbox's yearly Halo, Forza and Gears of War adaptations is what we all want. They are just superior franchises with practically limitless potential!

/s
Nice wall of half sarcastic bs. Keep it up. Just don't try to use your common sense.

No stop with the BS.

Nothing can convince these guys the contrary.

I never thought that I would have mixed feeling with Sony annoucing the ps5 to have a Very powerfull gpu. I Will really be sad If this happens because the amount of memes and humilaltion Will be to big, like cloud and dualgpu ALL over again

Haxxor777

Neo Member
So? What does this help with? I said they could implement it somehow. The fact that the base arch is rdna 1 doesn't mean they can't pull some feats from other arch. Didn't you know that?

Haxxor777

Neo Member
You talk as If You know a Lot about whats happening on Sony backstage throughout the development of the PS5.

The only official and vague info about ps5 is super fast ssd, Ray tracing 8k etc, wich means incorporating ALL the trendinG Future technology wich point to a powerfull hardware, but You seem to be Very sure about ps5 being Very underpowered compared to séries x despite some insiders stating that both Will be at the Very least equally as powerfull, and It seems that this is what some devs already said that too.

You dream too high in a very negative way. You dont want both to be beasts, one as powerfull as the other wich is good for the industry. You want one in particular tô fail. You want that Xbox one dejavu ALL over again but in your favor lmao
Lol. You say that as if I pull the info outta my ***hole. Well what's your counter argument to what I brought up? Besides some Klee and 1 other "insider" stuff amongst dozen of others stating XSX is far ahead of PS5, and calling me a fanboy? I could do the same thing, but I'm not willing to go that low.

Haxxor777

Neo Member
It's funny seeing all of you being so easily touched by me bringing up some thoughts and then backing it up with facts. While you guys just call me a fanboy. Is there a way for constructive dialogue without sarcasm/name throwing?

bitbydeath

I don't see how that implies 2 feats couldn't not be borrowed for 1. Further explanations?

It’s like stating a car can be used as a rocket. I’m sure it could with a ton of money and complete revision of the design but there is already a product available without requiring the additional money spent.

Haxxor777

Neo Member
It’s like stating a car can be used as a rocket. I’m sure it could with a ton of money and complete revision of the design but there is already a product available without requiring the additional money spent.
Well yea, you just solved your own problem. I mean, it can be used to some degree(key word "some degree"). See? Also, if you don't remember there was a leak saying PS5 was planned for 2019, so they probably just couldn't change the apu anymore and decided to settle with RDNA 1. Besides, again there's compatibility question: it's much easier to emulate GCN on RDNA 1 rather than 2.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Idk. Don't think Sony would go this route of "confusing" their precious consumers. There wasn't anything to even remotely suggest that, was there? Maybe I missed something.

rumor was that sony wanted to release in 2019 but delayed because of xbox specs. that machine was 8-9tflops. it was scrapped? and now they went for a beefier ps5.

Knock off the console war rhetoric in here.

is this to me?

Last edited:

Haxxor777

Neo Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally open minded. And I try to consider every possibility. But does anyone have any more substantial clues that point toward PS5 being >= XSX? And by clues i mean like realistic info based on at least something like the stuff we get from data mining dudes like apisak, komachi etc. Give me something, I'm truly interested.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally open minded. And I try to consider every possibility. But does anyone have any more substantial clues that point toward PS5 being >= XSX? And by clues i mean like realistic info based on at least something like the stuff we get from data mining dudes like apisak, komachi etc. Give me something, I'm truly interested.

No. It's all word of mouth. But they are ALL saying the same thing. When one thing is said from different sources they tend to be true.

Haxxor777

Neo Member
rumor was that sony wanted to release in 2019 but delayed because of xbox specs. that machine was 8-9tflops. it was scrapped? and now they went for a beefier ps5.

is this to me?
Yea that's the exact rumour I'm confident in. But then again I'm not sure if Sony would go the 2 sku strategy. Who knows. I would be happy to finally be surprised. Would be really funny if PS5 really was beyond XSX, now that would make some ppl go nuts haha. Literarally most unexpected turn in gaming in a while, for me at least. We'll see. February can't come soon enough.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Yea that's the exact rumour I'm confident in. But then again I'm not sure if Sony would go the 2 sku strategy. Who knows. I would be happy to finally be surprised. Would be really funny if PS5 really was beyond XSX, now that would make some ppl go nuts haha. Literarally most unexpected turn in gaming in a while, for me at least. We'll see. February can't come soon enough.

if we are talking HBM, ReRam, 5gb/s SSD, 13-14 RDNA2 GPU...this thing might cost 600dollars. so it would make sense if sony made a 8-9tflops machine.
and they would just call them PS5 and PS5 Pro.

NeroDaGod

Lort

Banned

Sure i heard from a guy on neogaf who heard about it from resetera who heard about it first hand from someone on beyond3d who was quoting someone from neogaf.

So there is 4 reliable sources right there.

Haxxor777

Neo Member
if we are talking HBM, ReRam, 5gb/s SSD, 13-14 RDNA2 GPU...this thing might cost 600dollars. so it would make sense if sony made a 8-9tflops machine.
and they would just call them PS5 and PS5 Pro.
Yea no, I'm leaning more towards a single balanced console. That's the Sony way. They are still too conservative for that kinda stuff imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom