• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haxxor777

Neo Member

Oh don't worry I will be here as soon as we get something. And I'll be the first one to admit my thinking based on insider info was wrong, if it all turns out to be bs. I'm sure you will do the same, won't you?
R0I5dug.jpg

Last edited:
I would be happy to review them too to see whether the most believable/probable info we have on our hands regarding your precious platform comes true. Or if our dear insiders are lying all around.
My precious platform ?I have none unlike you LMFAO . Just chill and no nothing about what u posted is believable as mentioned to you many times but it keeps falling on deaf ears. Anyways I m done with this discussion. Thanks bye 👋

Haxxor777

Neo Member
My precious platform ?I have none unlike you LMFAO . Just chill and no nothing about what u posted is believable as mentioned to you many times but it keeps falling on deaf ears. Anyways I m done with this discussion. Thanks bye 👋
Oh really. So you aren't biased for bashing me, but I'm biased for bringing up pretty much all but confirmed info? Nice logic. U gotta be kidding.

Also everyone has a preferred platform, so you just gave off yourself, gj. And bye see you February!

Last edited:

Haxxor777

Neo Member
Lol so u believe ps5 is a 8tf rdna1 console but xsx is a 12 tf rdna2 with gpu sticks (lol) that turns it into 24 tf ? lol u need to lay down the pipe. Reality will hit hard just like it did in 2013 with the same bs about secret dgpu and power of clouds 😂
Lol literally implying I'm just a fanboy, then saying I'm the one who did that. Nice. Ok bye.

Neofire

Jason Schreier himself confirmed that both machines were ahead of Stadia. Some Xbox users are twisting the data and clinging to a burning nail since several insiders felt that PS5 was slightly more powerful than Xbox X Series.

If PS5 is finally more powerful, will we talk about a hidden dGPU on Xbox?
Very true but I would like to point out some of the people new to Gaf looks like they signed up to get on the, "ps5 will be 40% weaker then the Xbox SX" train. I'm noting each and every individual running with that and waiting for the ps5 reveal.

Was wondering if someone can answer a question for me.
The Xbox One X APU size was 360mm and was fabricated on a 16nm process.
If that same APU was now to be fabricated on TSMCs 7nm+ process, what size would it be?
Thanks

Haxxor777

Neo Member
I poked fun at your post (which deserved to be made fun of with 12 tf gpu stick )and did not call you fanboy . U immediately replied to my post and called me fanboy . Next time think before u post bro . Cheers 🍻👋
Yea I'd suggest you stop "poking fun" like that then. Have a nice day.

Haxxor777

Neo Member
Very true but I would like to point out some of the people new to Gaf looks like they signed up to get on the, "ps5 will be 40% weaker then the Xbox SX" train. I'm noting each and every individual running with that and waiting for the ps5 reveal.
Do I get a gift for believing insider info? Wow thx.

Jokes aside, I think would be smarter and more helpful to note all the insiders in that case rather than some random individuals on the forums, don't you think so?

Nickolaidas

Well, to be fair, at this point we've literally exhausted the topic and now either go in circles or poke each other. Until we have a more tangible amount of info / leak from a credible source / PS5 reveal, there's really nothing more to be said right now.

-kb-

Was wondering if someone can answer a question for me.
The Xbox One X APU size was 360mm and was fabricated on a 16nm process.
If that same APU was now to be fabricated on TSMCs 7nm+ process, what size would it be?
Thanks

Its hard to say.

In ISSCC 2017, the memory group at TSMC detailed their test 256 Mib SRAM chip which featured a 42.64 mm² die. The chip is manufactured on TSMC's 7nm HK-MG FinFET process using SAQP. The over die is 0.34x the size of their 16 nm process version. TSMC's 7nm process density is 1.6X compared to their 10nm process. Minimum metal pitch is 40 nm, as reported at IEDM 2016. TSMC claims their 7nm process will deliver a 20% performance improvement and a 40% reduction in power consumption.

But you can probably consider the above an upper bound on the size decrease.

Last edited:

FranXico

Well, to be fair, at this point we've literally exhausted the topic and now either go in circles or poke each other. Until we have a more tangible amount of info / leak from a credible source / PS5 reveal, there's really nothing more to be said right now.
There has been some interesting chatter posted here, but it is getting buried under the noise of biased sources.

On ERA, there is one member, "rbej", registered not so long ago, came from MrX forum. One of his post "i don't like MisterC, but i think this time he is right" :D

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-see-staff-post.159131/page-204#post-27681691

I mean, you're kidding me, right. :D

Last edited:
On ERA, there is one member, "rbej", registered not so long ago, came from MrX forum. One of his post "i don't like MisterC, but i think this time he is right" :D

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-see-staff-post.159131/page-204#post-27681691

I mean, you're kidding me, right. :D

Cant believe theres a whole forum built with the only purppose of bashing Sony and raise Xbox as ascending divinity scale.

Xbox fanboys are so bitter on Sony/PlayStation to a point that is not normal.

Maybe its a minority group that got so mad at all the humillation and jokes around dualgpu and cloud Power after Xbox one fiasco that their fanboysm agenda had to reach a whole New level to counterattack. This is the reason why they want PS5 to be that weaker (8tf) because they want the e3 2013 dejavu so fucking bad but in their favor.

I wouldnt doubt that MisterXMedia is running multiple accounts on neogaf and era. This Guy is a legend at fanboyism.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Cant believe theres a whole forum built with the only purppose of bashing Sony and raise Xbox as ascending divinity scale.

Maybe its a minority group that got so mad at all the humillation and jokes around dualgpu and cloud Power after Xbox one fiasco that their fanboysm agenda had to reach a whole New level to counterattack. This is the reason why they want PS5 to be that weaker (8tf) because they want the e3 2013 dejavu so fucking bad but in their favor.

I wouldnt doubt that MisterXMedia is running multiple accounts on neogaf and era. This Guy is a legend at fanboyism.

Yeah there's a few I'm sure have multiple accounts with the narrative of spreading propaganda and disingenuous information. At this point it may sound like conspiracy theory but I think these ppl aren't just rabid fanboys but strategically paid and placed to muddy waters.

Most of Xbox fans are not like that and are very respectable even in this very thread peeps like TeamGhobad TeamGhobad are very level headed posters . Everyone is allowed to have preference . Most of the fans just like Xbox which is understandable and should be respected .

Their fanboys however are like what you mentioned and their typical trait is they pretend to be unbiased and neutral 😂they love that show haha

(Those “neutral” fans ,,,just change the word “your job” with “Sony” )😂

Last edited:

gaming_noob

Whose alt account is this? 200 posts since joining 16 days ago and claims to have insider info 😂

onQ123

He's been here a few times under different names & he is on the other website right now , it's not hard to pick him out because you can tell that English isn't his 1st language & he talk like a child.

I remember thinking he was a little kid but he has been doing this long enough to be grown even if he was a kid when he 1st started but he still type the same so I don't think it has anything to do with his age.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I don't think its fair to throw a whole fan base with those who have 4 posts who are clearly trolling. I think most are accepting of what is going on now. The trolls are having their fun now since the devices are so close and no one fucked up there won't be fun to be had like 2013 so they are having it now.

Bani

Jason Schreier himself confirmed that both machines were ahead of Stadia. Some Xbox users are twisting the data and clinging to a burning nail since several insiders felt that PS5 was slightly more powerful than Xbox X Series.

If PS5 is finally more powerful, will we talk about a hidden dGPU on Xbox?
if xbox series x gets stronger are you saying fp 16 is the future of gaming and that it is the only way to draw graphics,will you

Yeah there's a few I'm sure have multiple accounts with the narrative of spreading propaganda and disingenuous information. At this point it may sound like conspiracy theory but I think these ppl aren't just rabid fanboys but strategically paid and placed to muddy waters.

The problem is that even if Sony announced in February a 12-13 tflops console, these users would later invent a hidden force on Xbox to turn things around.

We have lived it before and it seems that history repeats itself seven years later.

The problem is that even if Sony announced in February a 12-13 tflops console, these users would later invent a hidden force on Xbox to turn things around.

We have lived it before and it seems that history repeats itself seven years later.

I was cautious and respectful enough to refer them as a minority group.

But lets me remind You guys How Far they can Go with their creative fanboyism on the link below:

xPikYx

12 tf, 13 tf, 10 tf, 8.9999999999 tf... Tge question is: to see that hellblade 2 graphic in real time, what power these consoles will really need?

Gamernyc78

Banned
12 tf, 13 tf, 10 tf, 8.9999999999 tf... Tge question is: to see that hellblade 2 graphic in real time, what power these consoles will really need?

Hellblade 1 was very repetitive and restrictive so idk why ppl keep harping on about how part 2 graphics are so next Gen. Part 1 looked great too but very limited in scope. If part 2 is the same I believe tht is easily well within the scope of 10 to 12 TF. We won't know unless we know the scope of the game and if it's open world, quasi open or linear and the variety of enemies, combat, etc.

Disco_

no, i think he's suggesting the base clock is 1.6 and at times it can jump to 2.0. but 1.6 is the clock. i think.
As I said in my other reply, had a bit much wine. Got gpu clocks and cpu clocks mixed up.
As for boost clocks on consoles, I doubt that would be a thing.
From memory we have gonzalo clocked at 1ghz in the early revision, then 1.8 in a later revision. We also heard sony talk about low power dev kits which I'd assume are the 1ghz ones.

No wonder his first post was worrying if he'd get banned here.
That's cause he was banned on the other site just before he joined.

Google's Stadia has GPU from AMD and CPU from Intel because the persistent memory needed by Google is exclusive Intel CPUs. AMD has better CPUs now but why did Google still went with Intel? Yep, that Optane.

The ReRAM that the Sony engineer presented, and the ReRAM that Sony has been touting has always been an SSD variant. It's connected via NVMe 5.0 and it has bandwidth speeds to 25.6gb/s and 1.4 microseconds latency for the 8-chip configuration. With that speed, a DIMM variant is not necessary specially if it will drive the cost up.

Let me remind you that Intel Optane SSD is $1.2/gb, that is with retail mark-up and Intel profit. The Sony ReRAM that Amigo Tsushui said will be offered as a "second source" is also an SSD variant. That doesn't mean that Sony will not have a DIMM version, but the ReRAM that Sony has presented that they say will release as an alternative to Intel Optane is an SSD variant. Therefore it is insanity to expect Sony ReRAM to cost more than $1.2/gb otherwise there's no point producing them, Optane will eat it for breakfast.

Cerny also said SSD, not server storage class memory. Sony ReRAM is an SSD version and specs are given already: 25.6gb/s and 1.4 microseconds latency.

Do you honestly think that Sony will design the PS5 around Intel Optane technology? Is there even any evidence of this? I'll tell you what though, there is evidence (not proof) that ReRAM will be cheaper than that $1.2/gb Intel Optane.

vQYidG4.png

You can keep parroting that ReRAM will be expensive just because. Of course it's fair to say it will be expensive because it's a new technology. But if you're confronted with an evidence (professional analysis) showing you are wrong, then you cannot operate your claim out of assumption anymore. It's your turn to show evidence that your contention is correct. At least show something that's based on a "professional analysis" because that's what I have been showing all this time. Your words does not weigh heavier than that chart. Hey it's not made by a random internet poster.

It's fair to doubt whether this technology will be ready for the PS5. We only have Amigo Tsushui's words to hold on to that it will be available in 2020. Again, it's fair to doubt that. And it's the burden by those who believe to prove that it will be ready in 2020. I don't have anything more to show as evidence. But it's not like PS5 will release in the next two months of so. So while it's fair to doubt, it's not fair to dismiss it outright.

Sony can talk all they want but until they start actually producing substantiated results, and soon, then talk is all it's going to remain. Meanwhile we have 3D Xpoint and Optane readily available, in real-world use cases, with real-world results, at mass scale. Me being a realist doesn't mean I'm trying to be a debbie-downer, it just means I look at things realistically. Anyone who wants to try using this to imply me being a "fanboy" (not saying that has happened yet but given the opening sentence I suspect some might) should calm down; even I was on Team ReRAM until I did some looking into where the tech is currently at in terms of actual developments and results on the market. That's when I started looking at it more reserved.

Many companies list targets and projections but that doesn't mean much without results. Now I'd be a fool to say Sony couldn't accomplish this with their ReRAM solution, but the clock is ticking insofar as it being implemented in PS5. If they miss that timing, that is a large advantage gone; even if they were to release optional drives shortly after specifically designed for PS5, it would not be a default devs could count on being there with every single system. Meaning most would opt to not utilize it. Yes they could have the OS essentially do all of that optimization for them if it's there but then that means a larger footprint for the OS, more OS background tasks to run meaning less processing for game logic, etc. (I'm not implying it be a massive resource hog mind, just that SOME resources would need to be used in such a case).

Again I'm not dismissing it; I'm just looking at realistic chances here. 3D Xpoint is already here. It's already at scale. It already delivers results. And if MS by some chance is using it in their console (we really don't have much in way of concrete specs even after that TGA reveal), then that scale of production increases by magnitudes. Intel may be the only ones ATM who have products using it on the market, but they are not the only ones who manufacture it; Micron does as well. JUST in case ReRAM projections are missed for 2020, it is a secondary option Sony could go for and it wouldn't require them to be locked to Intel.

Lastly I gotta address the 25.6 GB/s speed you listed; they would not accomplish that over current NVMe spec, and there is no NVMe 5.0. I think you meant to say PCIe 5.0, but that will not be featured in any next-gen console (or any consumer electronics, for that matter; 4.0 is only starting to see some increase in support even right now. 3.0 is still the dominant spec on the market in both consumer and some data solutions that don't use other standards like SRIO).

In order to obtain 25.6 GB/s on even the highest NVMe spec (1.4a) and PCIe connection (4.0), they would need need 13 lanes dedicated to the ReRAM solution. That's not going to happen. At most they'll likely use 4x (possibly 5x or 6x) PCIe 4.0 lanes, giving them around 8 GB/s - 12 GB/s bandwidth speed (I say "about" because it's not exactly 8 GB - 12 GB; encoding schemes take up some of that but IIRC PCIe 4.0 has switched to a 128/130b encoding scheme whereas previous PCIes used 8/10b encoding; for reference SRIO uses 64/67b encoding).

Sony's only other option for 25.6 GB/s bandwidth for ReRAM as an SSD solution would be SRIO 4.2, but even then they would need 8 (technically 9) lanes dedicated to the connection over NVMe 1.4. That would probably be pushing it.

Also on the notion of a DIMM controller not being necessary simply due to the speed: this is not accurate. NVMe is designed to operate on flash and flash-like storage solutions with the properties of flash. Meaning it will only treat them like NAND devices, including in terms of how data is read and write. The latter part is particularly important because NAND memory writes via blocks; it is not byte (or bit)-addressable in terms of write. Also, traditionally it is not designed with random access in mind, as random access on NAND is generally slower than sequential read. NVMe, being a controller standard designed around NAND technology in mind, would just treat the ReRAM like higher-speed NAND, but that loses out on the DRAM advantages that aren't speed-related.

So a DRAM controller would still be preferable even if enough connections over PCIe with NVMe can net raw speeds in line with, say, DDR4 DRAM. That would also drive up the cost of the ReRAM, particularly the implementation of it, similar to how persistent RAM variant of Optane costs more (roughly 2x more) than the SSD-orientated Optane solution.

Last edited:
Right. It's better to look at it with skepticism.

PCIe 5.0 is due next year though and I think it's possible for next-gen consoles. Don't speak in absolute terms I guess.

I tried looking to see if Sony has any developments on a PCIe 5.0 controller. Can't find any ATM; only company that seems to have developed something is Jiangsu Huacun; they're aiming to mass-produce it for 2020. So theoretically it's not impossible for Sony to be developing something like that as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

are next gen consoles going to take advantage of the following tech buzz words (which I am a noob at understanding):

-Artificial Intelligence
-Neural Net
-Deep Learning
-Machine Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom