• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonarchJT

Banned
So what's your take on int4/int8 support you think PS5 also lacks it on top of not having hardware VRS and SFS?..
they can run ML on sw being slow than an hw counter part but is doable, . It is not the end of the world, they made choices and each of them is giving something for the choices made. Including Ms with their tools and devkits still far-fetched.

kyliethicc

@ kyliethicc kyliethicc they do seem to like hitting specific numbers. But there are still different ways to get there. They could have gone with fewer CUs and higher clocks or more CUs and lower clocks.

Any way you look at it, higher clocks would have probably required bigger boxes (or noisier ones), assuming TF numbers ended up higher.

They had a second design goal though - to be a server blade with 4 Xbox One instances, i.e. they needed 4 shader arrays. The CU count is very much a result of that design criteria just like the dual memory speed set-up (that is only there since the server blade has 20 GB with the same memory controllers, i.e. one memory speed).

Exactly. XOne has 14 CUs, so they had to go with 14x4=56 CUs setup to meet their server chip goals for the SoC.

Plus, they save money this way. They only need 24 usable out of the 28 DCUs on die for using it in server. Better yields, they can salvage chips that wouldn't even work in the console.

So for the XSX, with 52 active CUs decided by the cloud server design goals, and with their other goal being 12 TFLOPs for easy marketing (2x One X double the FLOPS), the clock speed was basically already decided for them.

ZehDon

Anyone heard if Sony has said anything further about the PS+ Collection yet?

With 87% of PS5 users diving into PS+ I would think a lot of that push would be coming from the collection existing.

Capitalising on the collection further to both retain and bolster those numbers should be an obvious move... At least I would think.
I wouldn't expect Sony to expand it; Jim Ryan has said in the past that Sony's exclusive are too special for services like Gamepass. They're currently using the collection as a sweetener for fence sitters. If anything, I expect the collection to eventually be disbanded once its served its purpose of getting folks into the PS5 ecosystem.

Anyone heard if Sony has said anything further about the PS+ Collection yet?

With 87% of PS5 users diving into PS+ I would think a lot of that push would be coming from the collection existing.

Capitalising on the collection further to both retain and bolster those numbers should be an obvious move... At least I would think.

You've got to figure early adopters are more likely to have PS+/Gold than those that pickup the console later in the cycle. Would probably be hard to say that the PS+ collection is a driving force just yet, especially for the early user that might have already experienced these on PS4. But I can see it being a big draw for first-time PS users.

MonarchJT

Banned
Wow..Stanard went to reply directly to ethomaz

gjhXpFH.jpg

dwish

Yeah. I see the PS+ collection mainly as a way to get non-PS users over to PS5. Lots of PS4 users already played most of those games while others read reviews 😛

icerock

LOL these guys are great fun "pie_tears_joy:

Both of these are as bad as they accuse others of i.e. spreading FUD. Video after video about secret/custom magic tech just to feed the fanboys who want to hear exactly that. It's no different to the likes of cult Xbox ring leaders with the exception being, these two were not as nauseous or toxic....until now, where they are acting like children on social media.

Absolutely pathetic.

Both of these are as bad as they accuse others of i.e. spreading FUD. Video after video about secret/custom magic tech just to feed the fanboys who want to hear exactly that. It's no different to the likes of cult Xbox ring leaders with the exception being, these two were not as nauseous or toxic....until now, where they are acting like children on social media.

Absolutely pathetic.
Tbh it was MLiD who called out RGT and Coreteks in a really petty manner.

But at this point the whole thing is just becoming stupid. I know some stuff personally as well but it's beyond the scope of this thread to discuss.

skit_data

Absolutely pathetic.
To be fair I have never seen them claim performance gains in terms of numbers on the level of what has been claimed by the likes of Colt Eastwood or Dealer. Also, at least I have never seen anything stated outside as an outright fact more than MLID saying stuff like ”Ive heard the GE the PS5 is driving 8s around the Series X” which is bad but still in the ”ive heard” territory.

skit_data

I still think there is a possibilty of features being present in PS5 that could be incorporated in RDNA 3. I am also aware of the fact that if it was ever to be revealed, all this will be a memory of the past and it will probably not gain anywhere near as much attention.

I just find it strange that Cerny would mention the whole collaboration effort being successful if nothing came of it. He said it in a way that to me sounded like there had indeed been indirect contribution to the AMD roadmap. Hopefully interviews further down the line might shed some light on what those possible contributions are/could have been.

assurdum

Banned
To be fair I have never seen them claim performance gains in terms of numbers on the level of what has been claimed by the likes of Colt Eastwood or Dealer. Also, at least I have never seen anything stated outside as an outright fact more than MLID saying stuff like ”Ive heard the GE the PS5 is driving 8s around the Series X” which is bad but still in the ”ive heard” territory.
You can criticize whatever you want about him but he has never claimed any kinda of superiority of ps5 over the series X eh

skit_data

You can criticize whatever you want about him but he has never claimed any kinda of superiority of ps5 over the series X eh
I actually just went back and he is not claiming anything crazy but he has some stuff that can be interpreted that way

30:55 and onwards, they are talking about the RAM situation and SSD possibly being able to offload some tasks. Im not saying he is wrong at all, but he does seem to favor the PS5 or at least the forward way of thinking that seem to have influenced the development of the PS5 SSD and I/O

Edit: He actually ends up saying ”Yes” on the specific question on wether PS5 is technically superior at 31:27

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeap and dodged the question changing the talk to SoC lol
i just know that i been silenced again by mods in the other thread...how i can contact them because i think it's HighlY unprofessional and unfair seen how the things evolved to a point that seem biased. At least what i said multiple times is being confirmed by Locuza and also Stanard why they wanna silence me?

Last edited:
I still think there is a possibilty of features being present in PS5 that could be incorporated in RDNA 3. I am also aware of the fact that if it was ever to be revealed, all this will be a memory of the past and it will probably not gain anywhere near as much attention.

I just find it strange that Cerny would mention the whole collaboration effort being successful if nothing came of it. He said it in a way that to me sounded like there had indeed been indirect contribution to the AMD roadmap. Hopefully interviews further down the line might shed some light on what those possible contributions are/could have been.
Good point. Even when RGT first broke this RDNA 3 and PS5 stuff. His source told him "that you should look at what Sony/Playstation have done in the past in incorporating features from future architectures into their GPU's and you'll understand what's going in the PS5'. This was in reference to PS4 Pro featuring things like Rapid Packed Math and Volatile Bit, features which were part of the unreleased Vega architecture at the time. So the idea of PS5 having features from RDNA 3 is not out of the question neither does it have to be "magic secret sauce stuff".

LeviathanGamer2 also has a good take on it:

They are all just sides of the same coin. Looking for views and desperate to keep them coming. MLID and RGT are hurt if their "insiders" have been found to not have correct info, so deflecting, reframing, etc. are important to them.

The fanboys for fanboys channels which exist in good numbers on all sides (Xbox, Nintendo, PS) aren't hurt by being incorrect because their channels gain views because of the extreme fanboyism itself. What would hurt them would be measured centralist takes.

ethomaz

Banned
i just know that i been silenced again by mods in the other thread...how i can contact them because i think it's HighlY unprofessional and unfair seen how the things evolved to a point that seem biased. At least what i said multiple times is being confirmed by Locuza and also Stanard why they wanna silence me?
I don't know... they removed the ban justice thread... can you send pm to them?

ethomaz

Banned
Not the hill do die on mate, just let it go, both consoles are obviously RDNA 2 based, and we know this for about a year now.

Sure there are technical aspects and details to uncover, but these are the customization quirks that will give each console it's own flavor.
Yeap both consoles are RDNA2 I never disputed that.

could you give me the nick of a mod?
Mod of War Mod of War

Last edited:
Good point. Even when RGT first broke this RDNA 3 and PS5 stuff. His source told him "that you should look at what Sony/Playstation have done in the past in incorporating features from future architectures into their GPU's and you'll understand what's going in the PS5'. This was in reference to PS4 Pro featuring things like Rapid Packed Math and Volatile Bit, features which were part of the unreleased Vega architecture at the time. So the idea of PS5 having features from RDNA 3 is not out of the question neither does it have to be "magic secret sauce stuff".

LeviathanGamer2 also has a good take on it:

Is the GE in RDNA2 fully programmable?

This is about an RDNA1 GPU claim right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom