• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Edit: Looks like coming to PS5 as well.

Plus still 30FPS on Series S? :messenger_open_mouth:
Microsoft obviously started with a good plan to account for BC in the future and designed smartly around that while Sony was still focused back in the PS2/PS3 eras on distinctive hardware designs that did not lend themselves well to BC for the future. It's definitely one of the bright spots for Xbox gamers!

Something is lost in translation. Same case in RERA thread regarding italian Xboxes. Funny thing is, why no one had the same issues and possibly VR on Xbox in US/UK territory when they plugged in headset. LOL

It's called a localization issue. VR headset is not such a specific term for an outsourced translator, which this probably comes from. The fact that this popped up in a translation makes that quite clear.

Knowing much of the Italian press, tho, it's not surprising that they decided to make much ado about nothing from this. Most are all about rumormongering and clickbait.

meanspartan

Would it be fair to say that, aside from the disc drive and SSD space, Series S can do everything Series X can do, except that it does it at 1440p instead of 4k?

I understand this is simplifying things, but I guess what I am asking is whether someone who has a 1080p TV they are happy with and have no plans of replacing for the next few years would be served just fine with a Series S and should spend that $200 difference on games instead.

Haha. The XSS has the exact same feature set as the XSX. It has less compute performance, RAM, bandwidth, and SSD storage space. It will require optimization to achieve results the XSX and PS5 will reach more easily. Also recently MS has dropped the 1440p talk and are now talking the more reasonable 1080p resolution. Of course it should not be forgotten that the XSS is $200 less than the XSX and designed for budget conscious gamers not high end enthusiasts.

FrankWza

Would it be fair to say that, aside from the disc drive and SSD space, Series S can do everything Series X can do, except that it does it at 1440p instead of 4k?
Haha. The XSS has the exact same feature set as the XSX. It has less compute performance, RAM, bandwidth, and SSD storage space. It will require optimization to achieve results the XSX and PS5 will reach more easily. Also recently MS has dropped the 1440p talk and are now talking the more reasonable 1080p resolution. Of course it should not be forgotten that the XSS is $200 less than the XSX and designed for budget conscious gamers not high end enthusiasts.
So,no.

FrankWza

He asked if it can do the same things the XSX can do. If we are talking VRR, VRS, SFS, VA , and ray tracing it absolutely can. If we are talking Blu-ray movie/game playback and 4k visuals it can't. The biggest difference is in the graphical capabilities.
Actually, he said 1440p vs 4K. Which is not the case. It’s now striving for 1080p which you yourself pointed out and Msoft is now advertising. Same as when they went from worlds most powerful console to most powerful xbox. Remember?

Last edited:
Another Assassins Creed / Watch Dogs? Or something really new?

Seems like Sony is publishing the game.
The studio seems to have been formed very recently. I doubt they’ll have the resources right out the gate to develop what I’m assuming will be AAA game. Sony’s possibly funding the game aside from the apparent fact they’re seemingly publishing it. New IP’s tend to cost a lot to make and require a minimum of 5 years of dev time.

Last edited:
Actually, he said 1440p vs 4K. Which is not the case. It’s now striving for 1080p which you yourself pointed out and Msoft is now advertising. Same as when they went from worlds most powerful console to most powerful xbox. Remember?
Are you answering his question though? I know how you have many issues with Xbox but is the question answered?

I understand this is simplifying things, but I guess what I am asking is whether someone who has a 1080p TV they are happy with and have no plans of replacing for the next few years would be served just fine with a Series S and should spend that $200 difference on games instead.
If you have a 1080p TV and aren't concerned about getting the best console graphical performance. Spending $200 on games and getting XSS makes more sense. $200 will also get you 200 years of Game pass according to my main man FrankWza FrankWza thanks to loopholes so I'm certain he would endorse the XSS too. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Fishake

Neo Member
The studio seems to have been formed very recently. I doubt they’ll have the resources right out the gate to develop what I’m assuming will be AAA game. Sony’s possibly funding the game aside from the apparent fact they’re seemingly publishing it. New IP’s tend to cost a lot to make and require a minimum of 5 years of dev time.
I think It is a PlayStation Studio.

Doubt it... the license is too expensive for a new Indie Studio and I'm not saying Sony backing that.
Plus she said original... Star Wars is not original anymore.
In the blog she says “It’s why I couldn’t be happier for their backing and support.” This straight up implies Sony’s backing up the project meaning they’re involved. Big time.

FrankWza

Are you answering his question though? I know how you have many issues with Xbox but is the question answered?

If you have a 1080p TV and aren't concerned about getting the best console graphical performance. Spending $200 on games and getting XSS makes more sense. $200 will also get you 200 years of Game pass according to my main man FrankWza FrankWza thanks to loopholes so I'm certain he would endorse the XSS too. :messenger_winking:
I wouldn’t. They were coming in at 900p on exclusives when they were aiming for 1440p. Now that they downgraded their expectations to 1080p im afraid once the next gen consoles are pushed they may not even realize 900p. So why would I recommend that?

ethomaz

Banned
In the blog she says “It’s why I couldn’t be happier for their backing and support.” This straight up implies Sony’s backing up the project meaning they’re involved. Big time.
Yes.
Not backing the Star War licence... I was not clear.

Sony is backing her new game but I can't see Sony backing the Start War licence for a Indie Studio... if they do it will be for one of their big studios.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It's Sony's XDEV Studio: https://twitter.com/Sony_XDEV

They are involved like they are involved with Sackboy, Returnal and the rest. It's a Sony IP being developed by Haven, an independent studio.

LiquidRex

Doubt it... the license is too expensive for a new Indie Studio and I'm not seeing Sony backing Start War license for that.
Plus she said original... Star Wars is not original anymore.
Just wishful thinking, a major Star War title would be huge for Sony, then again, I hope to see a Star Trek title done right for a change, just think how well that would work with the PS5 data streaming capabilities, beaming from site to site for example. 🤔

FrankWza

Just wishful thinking, a major Star War title would be huge for Sony, then again, I hope to see a Star Trek title done right for a change, just think how well that would work with the PS5 data streaming capabilities, beaming from site to site for example. 🤔
Mass effect was basically Star Trek so something like that set in the star trek universe would be fine. Star Wars needs something that really captures the essence of saber dueling and force use. JFO barely did and it was very well received. If they am ever really nail it it will be the most epic game ever.

Gamerguy84

That's fire. Beaming, warping, black holes. Maybe VR holo-decks.

I would absolutely love ST done right.

Imtjnotu

I guess Sony knows it can’t go toe to toe with Microsoft. This is good if true.
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

cragarmi

Yes.
Not backing the Star War licence... I was not clear.

Sony is backing her new game but I can't see Sony backing the Start War licence for a Indie Studio... if they do it will be for one of their big studios.
It's a new IP, not in any established universe. Sony are providing most of the funding, similar to the arrangement they had with Kojima over Death Stranding. I expect similar production levels too. It's Jade's new 'indie' studio, so it will be up to her what she wants to do after this deal is over. A PC port is likely, but I wouldn't expect it day and date, after that who knows.

I wouldn’t. They were coming in at 900p on exclusives when they were aiming for 1440p. Now that they downgraded their expectations to 1080p im afraid once the next gen consoles are pushed they may not even realize 900p. So why would I recommend that?
So he shouldn't spend $200 on games because some XSS games may run at 900p? Since you know so much about all things Xbox you'd surely be aware that NONE of the XSS features have actually been used so you'd be pretty confident that games from MS 1st party will run at the target 1080p resolution. Most importantly I'd assume that you'd recommend that because it is all about the games after all and his TV wouldn't use any resolution above 1080p anyway.

I love my series X but I must say the hyperbole used in this is funny lol ganechanger...really... 🤣

Did you watch the video? I'd say the improved loading would be pretty notable. Over a minute to 10 seconds in Prey seems like a big deal. I am not aware of a console doing more with these games.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So he shouldn't spend $200 on games because some XSS games may run at 900p? Since you know so much about all things Xbox you'd surely be aware that NONE of the XSS features have actually been used so you'd be pretty confident that games from MS 1st party will run at the target 1080p resolution. Most importantly I'd assume that you'd recommend that because it is all about the games after all and his TV wouldn't use any resolution above 1080p anyway.
You’re still arguing this and the guy already went to get a $400 DE or an x. Series s already got the five point palm exploding heart technique dude

SSfox

I miss him guys:

4ebc8fb82f407bb26bca02390488455ac60ac332_coziodbucaau4bs.jpg

I remember i was sad when Jack Tretton left but i didn't expect somebody as much as epic as him will replace him, Shawn was a true boss and understood what Playstation brand is about, but right now i'm honestly not feeling much Jimbo Ryan now.

I miss him guys:

4ebc8fb82f407bb26bca02390488455ac60ac332_coziodbucaau4bs.jpg

I remember i was sad when Jack Tretton left but i didn't expect somebody as much as epic as him will replace him, Shawn was a true boss and understood what Playstation brand is about, but right now i'm honestly not feeling much Jimbo Ryan now.

Jim didn't replace Shawn. Shawn reports to Jim. Jim replaced Andrew House.

dcmk7

Banned

Did you watch the video? I'd say the improved loading would be pretty notable. Over a minute to 10 seconds in Prey seems like a big deal. I am not aware of a console doing more with these games.

My word.. still with the bullshit.

Gears 5:Hivebusters
Dirt 5.

To name just two.

Try an argument with some truth to it. Would be a refreshing change of pace.

3liteDragon

Yea but why announce something like this though? I'm sure Sony has a lot of other stuff in the works which are under wraps but something like this, you could just wait to announce when they show off their game. Still looking forward to whatever it is she and her team are working on.

Last edited:

Dirt 5.

To name just two.

So you'll bring up Gears 5 and Dirt 5 games that hit the XSS performance targets and resolution to disprove my point about devs needing to use the features of the XSS to get the best performance? OK man. I'll amend my statement when devs use the features of the XSS as evidenced by Gears 5 and Dirt 5 you'll see fantastic results. Thanks for proving my point dcmk7 dcmk7 you made my point better than I did.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Dirt 5.

To name just two.

They both use just VRS and can run at up to 120fps. Shows there could be some considerable headroom when SFS and Mesh Shaders are used.
Even the Xbox One X only manages 60fps on those games.

dcmk7

Banned
So you'll bring up Gears 5 and Dirt 5 games that hit the XSS performance targets and resolution to disprove my point about devs needing to use the features of the XSS to get the best performance? OK man. I'll amend my statement when devs use the features of the XSS as evidenced by Gears 5 and Dirt 5 you'll see fantastic results. Thanks for proving my point dcmk7 dcmk7 you made my point better than I did.

It really is embarrassing dude when you are constantly making ill informed statements and trying to pass them off as facts.

Xbox you'd surely be aware that NONE of the XSS features have actually been used
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Do better.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Was wondering if anyone had this issue. So I had my Series X since launch. I've noticed this ever since I got it.

It seems when I hold down the Xbox logo to turn off the Console, the fan sometimes continues to spin and other times it doesn't once it's off. I have Instant Mode on which I assume would let the fan continue to spin for instant bootup. Any reason why the Console makes up it's own mind on when it decides to have the fan not run during standby?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom