• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistBreeze

I do not think Sony should pursue Microsoft and do like them I mean Gamepass like and stuff

they should stick to what made there consumers like them big AAA games and things they excels at

Microsoft is trying something new good for them

but remember Microsoft can do only services without needing to sell hardware no issues but Sony can not afford that

Sony is hardware focused company and they need to sell their hardware unlike Microsoft

Microsoft can put gamepass in any platform they choose

Microsoft does not need xbox but Sony needs playstation

It really is embarrassing dude when you are constantly making ill informed statements and trying to pass them off as facts.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Do better.
Again thanks for bringing up the point proving that when you use the XSS features you get advertised results. I should have mentioned the 2 titles that use some XSS features over pointing to the VAST majority of titles that DO NOT use the XSS features. You are right though, 99% of the XSS titles don't use it's features not 100%. My apologies.

NO it can't. It's got no raytracing in some games and no graphical settings that's are on series x in some games.
You have not played Watch Dog Legion?

The XSS has the same feature set as the XSX and as my buddy dcmk7 dcmk7 wants everyone to know when you use the XSS's features you get great results. The whole point of the XSS is to play the same games MINUS the extra graphical features and resolution. That's why its $200 less than the XSX.

dcmk7

Banned
Again thanks for bringing up the point proving that when you use the XSS features you get advertised results. I should have mentioned the 2 titles that use some XSS features over pointing to the VAST majority of titles that DO NOT use the XSS features. You are right though, 99% of the XSS titles don't use it's features not 100%. My apologies.

The XSS has the same feature set as the XSX and as my buddy dcmk7 dcmk7 wants everyone to know when you use the XSS's features you get great results. The whole point of the XSS is to play the same games MINUS the extra graphical features and resolution. That's why its $200 less than the XSX.

Dude, I'm struggling here.. I can't tell if you're attempting to be witty, funny or sarcastic. It just manages to come across as tragic and almost emotional.

But it does make me happy to see that you acknowledge your original claim as bullshit. It's a start.

The whole point of the XSS is to play the same games MINUS the extra graphical features and resolution

You definitely shouldn't be a salesman though.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I do not think Sony should pursue Microsoft and do like them I mean Gamepass like and stuff

they should stick to what made there consumers like them big AAA games and things they excels at

but remember Microsoft can do only services without needing to sell hardware no issues but Sony can not afford that

Sony is hardware focused company and they need to sell their hardware unlike Microsoft

Sony don’t make much money on hardware sales either - but the hardware fits Sony’s overall consumer electronics product line and the third party software sales generate a lot of cash.

A Sony without custom PS hardware could survive - it may even be more profitable than it is today. They’d bundle the games in with the movies division, sell them Cross platform and license them out to content platforms like Gamepass, Luna and whoever else comes along. They can still use PSNow to leverage their own service and sell third party content for a split.

Look at the steaming platforms whether it’s Netflix, Disney or even Spotify. The content platforms don’t make any money - Netflix and Spotify are still loss making (as are Gamepass and stadia) despite being market leaders. The companies producing content dictate the terms and get the cash - that’s where Sony can quite easily ditch custom hardware and switch to providing content.

I don’t think Sony would do that by the way - just saying that custom hardware isn’t necessarily a future Sony is tied to.

LiquidRex

Capcom achieve photorealism with Resident Evil 9 confirmed...
zv35tAz.jpg

I thank Allah every day that this console generation is pushing 60 fps as the standard. But this also means that 4K will not be a thing for quite a while yet. Both big boi consoles will hover around 1600p or so. Logic dictates that the Series S can't be a 1440p console either. 1080p it is.

farmerboy

I thank Allah every day that this console generation is pushing 60 fps as the standard. But this also means that 4K will not be a thing for quite a while yet. Both big boi consoles will hover around 1600p or so. Logic dictates that the Series S can't be a 1440p console either. 1080p it is.

Lets be honest, a moving image from 6-8 ft away, (couch gaming) benefits more from 60fps than resolution.

Image reconstruction, DLSS, machine learning, etc will take care of the resolution.

Lets be honest, a moving image from 6-8 ft away, (couch gaming) benefits more from 60fps than resolution.

Image reconstruction, DLSS, machine learning, etc will take care of the resolution.
I have a hunch we'll see a "hyper-focus" on something like a Playstation 6 for AI upsampling and upscaling in the same way the PS5 had a "hyper focus" on the SSD and it's surrounding architecture.

Simply relying on brute force to run native 4K and 8K resolutions is a waste of resources which can be better spent on other things within the frames. Nvidia are already ahead of the game with DLSS and I think Playstation and AMD and Microsoft will follow suit in the future.

One might ask well what about AMD's upcoming upsampling technology as well as DirectML, well those still have to rely on GPU resources and the net gain on performance doesn't hold a handle to DLSS which has a lot of dedicated silicon and the results in some cases look better than native 4K.

MistBreeze

Sony don’t make much money on hardware sales either - but the hardware fits Sony’s overall consumer electronics product line and the third party software sales generate a lot of cash.

A Sony without custom PS hardware could survive - it may even be more profitable than it is today. They’d bundle the games in with the movies division, sell them Cross platform and license them out to content platforms like Gamepass, Luna and whoever else comes along. They can still use PSNow to leverage their own service and sell third party content for a split.

Look at the steaming platforms whether it’s Netflix, Disney or even Spotify. The content platforms don’t make any money - Netflix and Spotify are still loss making (as are Gamepass and stadia) despite being market leaders. The companies producing content dictate the terms and get the cash - that’s where Sony can quite easily ditch custom hardware and switch to providing content.

I don’t think Sony would do that by the way - just saying that custom hardware isn’t necessarily a future Sony is tied to.

Sony sells 100 million plus consoles regularly so ditching that not a wise move

Sony does not have the infrastructure for services like Amazons AWS or Microsofts Azure

what I mean each company has its strengths and weaknesses including Sony and Microsoft

Sony should focus on their strengths this including hardware first and do software they perfected the formula for now and their customers loves

Sony has a perfect formula now why change it ? cause Microsoft do gamepass now ???

gamepass is a new concept that may take off or fail but at least Microsoft can recover if it fails

Sony can not afford a gamble like that

Dude, I'm struggling here.. I can't tell if you're attempting to be witty, funny or sarcastic. It just manages to come across as tragic and almost emotional.

But it does make me happy to see that you acknowledge your original claim as bullshit. It's a start.

You definitely shouldn't be a salesman though.
Hah yeah it is tragic to hate on something because of your feelings and not with facts. The fact remains that the XSS has the same feature set of the XSX, yes even raytracing, and as long as you don't care about having top end graphical performance it's not a bad option. Plenty of people who have actually bought the system have good things to say about it.

Yeah you certainly got me on my original claim when you were able to point out 2 titles that are using some of the XSS features and those 2 titles run the way games should on the system. I am totally humbled. You should be the salesman for the XSS not me. I clearly dropped the ball.

After almost day and a half, XSX is finally sold out at Best Buy Canada

3244786-1440089895-32439.gif

Reference to this post

Oh shit!

yln0Gyv.png

dZwGNRb.png

Xboxes are still available after +10 hours. Both versions of PS5 of course, were sold out fast. What's happening with Xbox? Scalpers already have full warehouses? Normal people won't buy it? They are waiting for price cut? They want 2 years of free GPU sub?

GCvrLsw.png

WL7WnI7.png

RZbtdPF.png

ToadMan

It had alien sex and romance. Alien shipmate sidekicks too

Yes. It was a fantasy game much like Star Wars are fantasy movies ...

It’s not Sci Fi.

ST isn’t Sci Fi quite a lot of the time either, but that’s what it strives for and it fulfils the criteria of a lot of mid 20th century Sci Fi.

ToadMan

Sony sells 100 million plus consoles regularly so ditching that not a wise move

Sony does not have the infrastructure for services like Amazons AWS or Microsofts Azure

what I mean each company has its strengths and weaknesses including Sony and Microsoft

Sony should focus on their strengths this including hardware first and do software they perfected the formula for now and their customers loves

Sony has a perfect formula now why change it ? cause Microsoft do gamepass now ???

gamepass is a new concept that may take off or fail but at least Microsoft can recover if it fails

Sony can not afford a gamble like that

Sony doesn’t have to have the infrastructure - those companies and others provide it. Sony has already done a deal with MS for azure.

The reason Sony may change is because the formula that works today may not - in fact probably won’t - work tomorrow.

Adapt and survive. Fail to adapt - bye bye.

If you want an example see MS. Imagine MS right now if they just pushed out Xsex without Gamepass.... dead. But MS made a change and tried to do something to keep themselves relevant.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Sony doesn’t have to have the infrastructure - those companies and others provide it. Somy has already done a deal with MS for azure.

The reason Sony may change is because the formula that works today may not - in fact probably won’t - work tomorrow.

Adapt and survive. Fail to adapt - bye bye.

If you want an example see MS. Imagine MS right now if they just pushed out Xsex without Gamepass.... dead. But MS made a change and tried to do something to keep themselves relevant.

I know that Sony may forced to do that if hardware fails to sell on the long run but now they still can sell more than 100 mil each gen

so they must stick to the same winning strategy

in the future if the hardware becomes none factor they can do what u say

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Instinction Dev: DualSense Utilization Will Let Players Recognize Weapons Even With Eyes Closed

MP1: Are there plans to use the DualSense’s haptic feedback to good use? Like, say, if a dinosaur takes a bite out of the player and such?
Jade Saunder: If you were to close your eyes and play with different guns you’d soon start to recognise different weapons, even with your eyes closed.
Richard: We don’t want the focus of the game play experience to be central around just those features, but they are utilised for PS5 in the game. We want to focus on the experience of the game first and have the Dualsense features complement the experience.
Jade: I personally love the adaptive triggers for shooter games, and while some think they are just a gimmick, I think the controller as a whole really adds to the game.

farmerboy

I have a hunch we'll see a "hyper-focus" on something like a Playstation 6 for AI upsampling and upscaling in the same way the PS5 had a "hyper focus" on the SSD and it's surrounding architecture.

Simply relying on brute force to run native 4K and 8K resolutions is a waste of resources which can be better spent on other things within the frames. Nvidia are already ahead of the game with DLSS and I think Playstation and AMD and Microsoft will follow suit in the future.

One might ask well what about AMD's upcoming upsampling technology as well as DirectML, well those still have to rely on GPU resources and the net gain on performance doesn't hold a handle to DLSS which has a lot of dedicated silicon and the results in some cases look better than native 4K.

I totally agree. One only has to look at Sony's Bravia XR Cognitive Intelligence chip on their tv's to see how even they are looking on how to reconstruct an image with AI, to get a better result.

What's the chance that some of that tech makes it into their next Playstation VR headset?

The point is, brute forcing resolution will become a thing of the past soon enough.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Ok, I know this isn't specifically PS5 speculation related, but I just HAD to post this. I saw this for the first time on the PS Store this evening. There is a NEW Gilson B. Pontes game out. Taishogun, The Rise of Emperor. This is the guy that did Life of Black Tiger and at least one other. They were pretty rough games, to say the least. I have to say, whoever this one man team is, he's got guts and he's sticking with it. Just from the trailer of THIS game, you can tell he's really improving his coding skills. The trailer looks like a real, albeit lower budget game to me where as the trailer for Life of Black Tiger, for example, just...it didn't look like a game. Honestly, I thought that one was a joke when I first saw it. As in, I thought it was some sarcastic statement in a video. But this one is starting to look like a real game.

I don't know who this guy is, but considering all the criticism these games get online, I have to hand it to the guy for sticking with it and making real improvements in his work. Who knows....maybe this was like a 9 year old kid who made Black Tiger and now he's 11 or 12 and just getting better. Might be a famous game designer some day? I know...but the mystery of these games and how they continue to get published on the PS Store just has me fascinated. Anyone else?

ToadMan

Ok, I know this isn't specifically PS5 speculation related, but I just HAD to post this. I saw this for the first time on the PS Store this evening. There is a NEW Gilson B. Pontes game out. Taishogun, The Rise of Emperor. This is the guy that did Life of Black Tiger and at least one other. They were pretty rough games, to say the least. I have to say, whoever this one man team is, he's got guts and he's sticking with it. Just from the trailer of THIS game, you can tell he's really improving his coding skills. The trailer looks like a real, albeit lower budget game to me where as the trailer for Life of Black Tiger, for example, just...it didn't look like a game. Honestly, I thought that one was a joke when I first saw it. As in, I thought it was some sarcastic statement in a video. But this one is starting to look like a real game.

I don't know who this guy is, but considering all the criticism these games get online, I have to hand it to the guy for sticking with it and making real improvements in his work. Who knows....maybe this was like a 9 year old kid who made Black Tiger and now he's 11 or 12 and just getting better. Might be a famous game designer some day? I know...but the mystery of these games and how they continue to get published on the PS Store just has me fascinated. Anyone else?

Another MS acquisition coming up then?

This is one game there's tonnes of games that series s has even worse features than Xbox one x and PS4 pro so it's not just a 1080p series x

dcmk7

Banned
Hah yeah it is tragic to hate on something because of your feelings and not with facts. The fact remains that the XSS has the same feature set of the XSX, yes even raytracing, and as long as you don't care about having top end graphical performance it's not a bad option. Plenty of people who have actually bought the system have good things to say about it.

Yeah you certainly got me on my original claim when you were able to point out 2 titles that are using some of the XSS features and those 2 titles run the way games should on the system. I am totally humbled. You should be the salesman for the XSS not me. I clearly dropped the ball.
Except the people who regretted their purchase in the other thread (which were plenty) and developers who believe it limits their development process (which again, there are plenty) :messenger_winking: .

You should be the salesman for the XSS not me.
What a retort! I'm going to stop replying to this now, as your replies are getting more and more cringey for my liking.
Season 9 Goodbye GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

Elog

Given all the projects and studios that Sony is working on and how little they have revealed so far, I wonder if they are saving up for a similar moment as E3 2016 when they just hit with news like a truck. As of last Summer we were still mostly getting games to the PS4 that was revealed or teased at that E3. It just feels as if there are a lot of bottled-up news that have yet to be revealed by them. To me it would make sense for Sony to go fairly big on the news side in either Q2 or Q3 this year and sort of reveal their next few years road-map in a very similar fashion as that E3.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

I know this is I/O related but even at 1080p on XSX, it doesn't remove all the problems notably seen on the XB1 version (much less on PS4) and can drop to 55fps here. Enjoy cause DF probably won't show this in their video. Btw the game drops at 48fps on XSS at the same spot.

MPB2euZ.jpg
thats corvega plant isnt it , even on pc it tanks the frame rate

Please let's not pretend that playstation now doesn't exist, cause it just seems you can sell anything old by giving it a new name this says. Talking about gamepass as something new reminds me of people telling me to switch to whatsapp and continue our chat when we were already chatting in Facebook or Skype,

It always baffled me it's as if messaging in whatsapp comes with a blowjob package, moral of the story is "gamepass isn't new is just playstation now made better and Sony can do the same just offer whatever Xbox Ian offering minus mobile phones and triple a exclusives.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know this is I/O related but even at 1080p on XSX, it doesn't remove all the problems notably seen on the XB1 version (much less on PS4) and can drop to 55fps here. Enjoy cause DF probably won't show this in their video. Btw the game drops at 48fps on XSS at the same spot.

MPB2euZ.jpg
I/O related in what way? It's not easy to just state the issue like this, make it just renders everything which is in vieport, because of the texture has opacity. It's just not this easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom