• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
As you should know, Matt and Rosario are engineers, both worked on PS5. Rosario is still on Sony.

The point is, many people (twitter, era, gaf) tells bullshit about subjects that they don't have professional experience. And sometimes a real professional appears and show who are the fucking clown.

Those many people DO NOT MOTHERFUCKING POST HERE. So stop bringing their bullshit here, you are the fucking clown for doing it.

Every morning I open this thread hoping to have a convo and half the time it's just this dogshit. Create some other dogshit ass thread for your dogshit ass posts.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Another Twitter name to add to the confirmation pile of anyone using that person as a source shouldnt be taken seriously.

More raging fanboys getting put on blast on Twitter, please continue.

Last edited:
Those many people DO NOT MOTHERFUCKING POST HERE. So stop bringing their bullshit here, you are the fucking clown for doing it.

Every morning I open this thread hoping to have a convo and half the time it's just this dogshit. Create some other dogshit ass thread for your dogshit ass posts.
OMG, she's nervous :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony surely got paid for the development in the "outside of Playstation" publishing deal. Just like any developer would creating a game to be published by someone else. And the MLB likely got a fat check from MS, which is revenue..

Not sure your thinking here makes much sense.

Sony is developer in this case.. and then self publisher on Playstation.
If MLBs plan to generate more revenue was to give it away for free then it was a pretty dumb plan.

If all they wanted was a fat check, Sony could've written them one.

IntentionalPun

If MLBs plan to generate more revenue was to give it away for free then it was a pretty dumb plan.

I don't understand why you guys keep using "free" here.

They were likely given a fat check to have it on GamePass...

And GamePass... is not free lol

The game also features loads of microtransactions.

It's also a giant advertisement.. for.. well, Major League Baseball.

We live in an era of pretty massive free to play games and yet people still don't seem to get sub services.

Ya'll realize most of the biggest games are ACTUALLY given away free? lol

Last edited:

ToadMan

MS paid them a fat check.

MLB’s goal is to expand their exposure in the fan base. Baseball has been on a slide of viewing figures - for them this is marketing of their product which also turns a profit.

IntentionalPun

MLB’s goal is to expand their exposure in the fan base. Baseball has been on a slide of viewing figures - for them this is marketing of their product which also turns a profit.
Which is why they didn't want an exclusive game anymore... Playstation is huge, but every console/platform combined is.. huger... and as someone else pointed out to me, MLB probably specifically wanted this on GamePass.. instantly putting it in front of 15+ million (maybe 20 now?)

And Sony said "yes".. well.. because Sony likely makes a nice profit from it.. considering it's basically an easy sequel, with an established team who can crank the game out.

You really got to ask yourself if you are too invested in the concept of your toy having the exclusive toy addons if this is all bothering you.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They already have a multiplatform baseball game though. That's your exposure. Why strong arm Sony into launching their game on the Xbox just to pocket some millions?

The game sells a million copies every year. That's $60 million. Say MS paid them $30 million for game pass. Is that what this was all about? A few million dollars?

IntentionalPun

They already have a multiplatform baseball game though. That's your exposure. Why strong arm Sony into launching their game on the Xbox just to pocket some millions?

The game sells a million copies every year. That's $60 million. Say MS paid them $30 million for game pass. Is that what this was all about? A few million dollars?

"Strong arm"? lol.. it's their license to do with what they want.. Sony had the option to not make the game, which is just normal business.

Sony chose to keep making the game as that option likely makes them a lot more money too.

And MLB wants exposure for their product that gets people into... their other product, the actual league that generates revenue from fans. An MLB The Show fan might turn into an MLB fan.

FrankWza

It’s not as simple as, they forced them. If they didn’t make the show multiplat when this new deal was done(2018?) then they would have made the mlb license available to third party.

FrankWza

I don’t think MS saw sufficient value in making a baseball game.
Well, based on their first party output over the last 15 years, it could be that they just couldn’t make a game. That’s a pretty large window. If this gp deal is such a coup, why not give an mlb game a go over the last decade and a half?

ToadMan

But no one wants RBI baseball. They’ve given that years of trying to make an impact and it doesn’t break through.

EDIT : I estimate MS paid $50 to $70 mil assuming it’s going to GP for more than a month of which MLB gets probably 30%. Sony already made a profit is my guess.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Well, based on their first party output over the last 15 years, it could be that they just couldn’t make a game. That’s a pretty large window. If this gp deal is such a coup, why not give an mlb game a go over the last decade and a half?
Oh i see what you mean. It is a coup - but on this everyone here has it the wrong way round. This is a coup for Sony.

MS are paying Sony for content. It may be indirectly via the MLB buts that’s what’s happening.

It’s like the Netflix model. Netflix loses money - even now during a pandemic. They lose money because they need content. The companies producing the content make money.

That’s what we have here - MS provide the Netflix style platform and eek out subs from the regular folk. Sony produce the content and get a lump sum payout covering costs and turning profit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

"Strong arm"? lol.. it's their license to do with what they want.. Sony had the option to not make the game, which is just normal business.

Sony chose to keep making the game as that option likely makes them a lot more money too.

And MLB wants exposure for their product that gets people into... their other product, the actual league that generates revenue from fans. An MLB The Show fan might turn into an MLB fan.
They literally had Sony make a game, do 4 different ports and put them all on their competitor's platform. Mlb didn't even bother hiring some port studio to do the ports. That's flexing their muscles if not straight up strong arming.

And again, mlb has their own franchise that releases on all platforms. It's called RBI baseball. They had exposure. They wanted Sony's game. It's like wanting someone else's girlfriend and then forcing them to not just share but also forcing them to dress up their gf for the date, and then forcing the poor sap to drive her to the date.

This all feels very bizarre. It's not about exposure. And It's definitely not about more platform sales like Matt on era said. Gamepass reduces sales.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Oh i see what you mean. It is a coup - but on this everyone here has it the wrong way round. This is a coup for Sony.

MS are paying Sony for content. It may be indirectly via the MLB buts that’s what’s happening.

It’s like the Netflix model. Netflix loses money - even now during a pandemic. They lose money because they need content. The companies producing the content make money.

That’s what we have here - MS provide the Netflix style platform and eek out subs from the regular folk. Somy produce the content and get a lump sum payout covering costs and turning profit.
I don’t know. Too soon to tell. If they’re making it limited on gp, either one or two months, or limited to this year since it’s debuting on x and then will not be on gp going forward, then it’s a better deal for Sony. If they can put it on gp every year day one and Sony isn’t going to put the game on ps plus day one, they better have received a very big check.

Handy Fake

They literally had Sony make a game, do 4 different ports and put them all on their competitor's platform. Mlb didn't even bother hiring some port studio to do the ports.

And again, mlb has their own franchise that releases on all platforms. It's called RBI baseball. They had exposure. They wanted Sony's game. It's like wanting someone else's girlfriend and then forcing them to not just share but also forcing them to dress up their gf for the date, and then driving her to the date.

This all feels very bizarre. It's not about exposure. And It's definitely not about more platform sales like Matt on era said. Gamepass reduces sales.
Presumably MS had to stump up front to EA though?

PSX

"Mod Of war" enters the thread...

IT'S HAMMER TIME!

"👁️👁️"!

a2529c3c90d62501e4340f196533d624.gif

tumblr_ozbb8iX9to1sc0ffqo2_540.gif

726fa29f96aa82a0d279c8817992ac04.gif

6_thorragnarok_revengers-_38bd0fd5.gif

Last edited:

FrankWza

It's called RBI baseball.
This game was an absolute joke. It was developed and published by MLB. It’s not even worth mentioning and it’s part of the reason MLB needed to go to Sony in the first place. I think there’s a version out this year. So, by doing this deal, MLB is competing against itself.

Lemondish

Likewise I’ve seen plenty of people putting Returnal on a pedestal, as it’s comparable to God of War or Bloodborne, simply because it’s a PS5 exclusive. So there’s lots of idiots spouting off, basically.
Hmm, haven't actually seen that. More of what I'm seeing are folks wary of the pricetag for a game from a studio that has never released a game this broad before. Cautious pessimism is the feeling I get when people talk about Returnal around these parts. Not Godfall level hate, but until the most recent blog post it felt an awful lot like weaponized ambivalence.

ToadMan

I don’t know. Too soon to tell. If they’re making it limited on gp, either one or two months, or limited to this year since it’s debuting on x and then will not be on gp going forward, then it’s a better deal for Sony. If they can put it on gp every year day one and Sony isn’t going to put the game on ps plus day one, they better have received a very big check.

Absolutely right! Very big cheque.

But I think if Sony feel this a problem of diminishing returns, they’ll change the plan.

How might they do that over the coming years?

1. Do like they did with the Formula 1 license. Let it go, and maybe close San Diego down.

2. Move San Diego to other stuff (there have been rumours). Do barebones release of The Show for a few years just to scoop up MS money and let it die when the next MLB license negotiation comes round.

3. Look for a buyer for both the current MLB license and San Diego studio - just sell the whole lot to whoever wants to take them on whether it’s EA, 2K or someone else. The GP deal is quite useful for this - it’s a guaranteed lump income against the studio and license costs so that offsets the risks any purchaser might identify

So there are options going forward if Sony feel they’re getting a raw deal. Ultimately they hold the cards because the code and expertise is theirs.

EDIT: Forgot option 4 of course - keep taking MS money and let The Show be a mutliplat going forward. If it does super well on GP, the cost to MS will increase anyway.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Which is why they didn't want an exclusive game anymore... Playstation is huge, but every console/platform combined is.. huger... and as someone else pointed out to me, MLB probably specifically wanted this on GamePass.. instantly putting it in front of 15+ million (maybe 20 now?)

And Sony said "yes".. well.. because Sony likely makes a nice profit from it.. considering it's basically an easy sequel, with an established team who can crank the game out.

You really got to ask yourself if you are too invested in the concept of your toy having the exclusive toy addons if this is all bothering you.
Is someone else using your account today?? You are making too much sense. Not being sarcastic.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Neo Blaster

Is everyone really getting this excited over a baseball title? I've literally seen multiple "xbox won the war" clickbait posts today. Was hoping this "war" would die out a bit after the consoles were out for awhile. It was fun when we didn't know everything about the performance of each, but they are both solid consoles and fighting over a winner is essentially pointless, especially when that fighting involves an exclusive BASEBALL game going multiplat. Who cares?
You haven't been around for too long, have you?

SSfox

Bro Ken Kutaragi was already thinking about bringing online events to consoles even back in PS1, this guy is even more genius than i though, dude always ahead of its time in any area related to gaming.

For those interested in the new episode of Harada bar:

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Absolutely right! Very big cheque.

But I think if Sony feel this a problem of diminishing returns, they’ll change the plan.

How might they do that over the coming years?

1. Do like they did with the Formula 1 license. Let it go, and maybe close San Diego down.

2. Move San Diego to other stuff (there have been rumours). Do barebones release of The Show for a few years just to scoop up MS money and let it die when the next MLB license negotiation comes round.

3. Look for a buyer for both the current MLB license and San Diego studio - just sell the whole lot to whoever wants to take them on whether it’s EA, 2K or someone else. The GP deal is quite useful for this - it’s a guaranteed lump income against the studio and license costs so that offsets the risks any purchaser might identify

So there are options going forward if Sony feel they’re getting a raw deal. Ultimately they hold the cards because the code and expertise is theirs.

EDIT: Forgot option 4 of course - keep taking MS money and let The Show be a mutliplat going forward. If it does super well on GP, the cost to MS will increase anyway.
Why ditch a long running studio like San Diego? Just shaft MLB and have them work on other stuff, the only reason to keep this deal is if the money is good.

ToadMan

Why ditch a long running studio like San Diego? Just shaft MLB and have them work on other stuff, the only reason to keep this deal is if the money is good.

Yeah that would be my choice and presumably yours.

But when it comes business deals and what gets the best value - not so sure. Some things look weird from the outside but make good business sense. Look at the crying about the studios MS closed, losing bungie and sony closing various things including Japan Studio recently.

So in the case of San Diego - if Sony were to decide to ditch the MLB license, they’d get basically nothing. Del *.* and build from the ground up on a new thing.

But to sell MLB The Show with the team that made it, a license and with MS paying for it. Now that might be worth some money to someone - it’s an established franchise and can be purchased and profits made day one. They get to keep the key guys anyway but they sell the code base and the 2nd tier people who worked on it...

What’s the expression? Leave emotion at the door... it may not look good to you and me but to Sony that might look like a good way to get good cash and leave that franchise behind.

They did it with F1... although they didn’t close Liverpool straight away it took a couple of years if I remember right. Yes I’m still sore about that - Sony’s F1 game was much better than the Codemasters efforts but that’s all that’s left today.

Last edited:
More fanboys from twitter garbage..

And a picture of shit smeared on baby.

Seriously you guys are fucking clowns.

And this unnecessary hostility doesn't make you much better.

You can make the point about twitter posts without making personal attacks on people.

Sony surely got paid for the development in the "outside of Playstation" publishing deal. Just like any developer would creating a game to be published by someone else. And the MLB likely got a fat check from MS, which is revenue..

Not sure your thinking here makes much sense.

Sony is developer in this case.. and then self publisher on Playstation.

I'm sure MLB paid Sony something but I can't imagine it was much. MLB is the license owner and publisher for non-PS playforms. So there's no real impetus for them to cover much more than a portion of the dev fees, since the games' development and marketing costs borne by Sony will be more than covered by sales on Sony's platform alone.

MLB is expanding the market for the game and taking on publishing duties themselves. They kinda hold all the negotiating clout in any deal between them and Sony on non-PS platform publishing.

LiquidRex

Yeah that would be my choice and presumably yours.

But when it comes business deals and what gets the best value - not so sure. Some things look weird from the outside but make good business sense. Look at the crying about the studios MS closed, losing bungie and sony closing various things including Japan Studio recently.

So in the case of San Diego - if Sony were to decide to ditch the MLB license, they’d get basically nothing. Del *.* and build from the ground up on a new thing.

But to sell MLB The Show with the team that made it, a license and with MS paying for it. Now that might be worth some money to someone - it’s an established franchise and can be purchased and profits made day one. They get to keep the key guys anyway but they sell the code base and the 2nd tier people who worked on it...

What’s the expression? Leave emotion at the door... it may not look good to you and me but to Sony that might look like a good way to get good cash and leave that franchise behind.

They did it with F1... although they didn’t close Liverpool straight away it took a couple of years if I remember right. Yes I’m still sore about that - Sony’s F1 game was much better than the Codemasters efforts but that’s all that’s left today.
Closing Studio Liverpool was there biggest mistake to date in my opinion, but just look at what's happened to Japan Studio. 🤦‍♂️ Sonys silence lately has been deafening.

icy121

Closing Studio Liverpool was there biggest mistake to date in my opinion, but just look at what's happened to Japan Studio. 🤦‍♂️ Sonys silence lately has been deafening.
The way this year has gone for them is almost exactly at it went for them last year.

MS surprise announces the Series X at TGA's.

February passes without a PS5 event and a lot of people are wondering why Sony hasn't talked about the PS5. The fanboys claim they're hiding something and are to scared to talk about the PS5.

Sony doesn't say anything about the PS5 till March during Cerny's Road to PS5 talk.

The very next day they need to clarify if the PS5 is BC with all PS4 games cause Cerny said something along the lines of "we've tested the top 100 games on Playstation based off of playtime and almost all of them will be BC" A shit ton of people thought the PS5 was only going to be BC with the top 100 games on PS4.

Then some BS about the PS5 overheating spouts based off of some dumbass YT comment.

MS announces the Smart Delivery program.

Compared to how MS went about communicating their plans for Series X, Sony was incredibly quiet.

Then the Future of Gaming event took place and the tables completely turned.

This isn't a exaggeration in the slightest - Sony needs to have a 10/10 show in June or they're going to start losing the hardcore.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The way this year has gone for them is almost exactly at it went for them last year.

MS surprise announces the Series X at TGA's.

February passes without a PS5 event and a lot of people are wondering why Sony hasn't talked about the PS5. The fanboys claim they're hiding something and are to scared to talk about the PS5.

Sony doesn't say anything about the PS5 till March during Cerny's Road to PS5 talk.

The very next day they need to clarify if the PS5 is BC with all PS4 games cause Cerny said something along the lines of "we've tested the top 100 games on Playstation based off of playtime and almost all of them will be BC" A shit ton of people thought the PS5 was only going to be BC with the top 100 games on PS4.

Then some BS about the PS5 overheating spouts based off of some dumbass YT comment.

MS announces the Smart Delivery program.

Compared to how MS went about communicating their plans for Series X, Sony was incredibly quiet.

Then the Future of Gaming event took place and the tables completely turned.

This isn't a exaggeration in the slightest - Sony needs to have a 10/10 show in June or they're going to start losing the hardcore.
Doesnt even have to be a 10/10 show. Your post clearly shows at the end of the day all that matters is the games.

Last edited:

icy121

Doesnt even have to be a 10/10 show. Your post clearly shows at the end of the day all that matters is the games.
Oh i agree with you - but i don't think MS is going to drop the ball at their press conference this year like they did last year.

Bottom line is that they need to be ready to show up and play ball this year.

FWIW, I think they will and this "rut" that they're in with respect to messaging will be a thing of the past.

ToadMan

To me this kind of thing is difficult to determine. Yea I loved the F1 game and the output of Liverpool, but from a business perspective were they paying their way? Same for Japan studio.

I don’t have the data to really say - what data I do have shows Sony making more money and being more successful now than they were when Liverpool was open. In 10 years maybe they’ll be making more despite Japan studio being closed.

On an individual basis those studios maybe weren’t eating much - but if Sony kept every stagnant or failing studio open out of some idea of loyalty, history or just hope - maybe the PS brand and Sony as a whole would have sunk by now.

We’re just onlookers - difficult to say whether these are wise moves, that’s for Sony to deduce.

But for sure plenty of businesses have sunk because they shied away from the difficult decisions out of misplaced optimism, inflexibility or fear of backlash. So I can’t say these were bad moves yet - only time will tell.

Oh i agree with you - but i don't think MS is going to drop the ball at their press conference this year like they did last year.

Bottom line is that they need to be ready to show up and play ball this year.

FWIW, I think they will and this "rut" that they're in with respect to messaging will be a thing of the past.
What messaging do we need at this point honestly?

Just play the games you have, and once you finish those, move on to the next ones. It's not like we go a week without games being released.

vivftp

I mean not really from the way Mike talked it was out of Jims hands totally.

Now the fact its coming to Gamepass I think Sony should make it a PSN game for April if they dont do that then I say yeah its a bad look

Good day to you. Just curious if you're able to share any tidbits from your fishing trip :)

... if any such tidbits happen to be about Sony's plans for PS Now then I'd be super happy! :D

MistBreeze

I dont know why people freak out about exclusives like that

if Sony offers some of games to pc or xbox ... so what ???
As long as these games of high value and fun to play Im happy... Im not an investor at sony

Microsoft themselves offered many games on ps4. Minecraft... cuphead and super lucky tale

deathloop and ghostwire are coming from microsoft too

and maybe there are more games are coming in the future

I say to fanboys in each side be ready for a future where we will see multiplat first parties regularly as gaming costs rise up and selling in one platform become less and less beneficial

icy121

What messaging do we need at this point honestly?

Just play the games you have, and once you finish those, move on to the next ones. It's not like we go a week without games being released.
Perhaps, "messaging" was the wrong word. My point is that Sony was trending on Twitter yesterday for all the wrong reasons. A lot of people see Jim Ryan as some evil money hack that doesn't care about the PS brand. Jimbo as SlimySnake SlimySnake calls him hasn't been CEO of PS long enough for me to render a verdict on his performance.

J jroc74 right, in that it'll come down to the 1st-party games. So long as they're 9/10 games, I think PS fans will have no issue with him.

I'll have a better idea of Jim as leader after I see the rollout of PSVR 2 and the exclusives that launch with it.

onesvenus

Which MS studio has Ps5 dev kit? Zenimax?
All of Zenimax studios? You know there are two PS5 exclusive games developed by Zenimax studios, don't you? How would they develop a game without dev kits?

Yeah, let's pretend all those free-2-play games on mobile and consoles that bring a lot of money to the table don't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom