• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

It is actually very big even if restricted to US.
It is, but mostly in a ”how is business handled”-kinda sense. Some people seem to want Sony answer by putting it on PS+, which would make sense in an exclusively American context, but here in Europe most people would probably be disappointed

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's not confusing at all. It was announced by Jamie Leece, who is the MLB Senior Vice President of Games & VR.
Yeah, I get it now.

MLB had much more of a say in this.

The day it was no longer a PS exclusive, whatever happened with it was whatever as far as other platforms.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Man now I don't know if I'm buying mlb 21...

Inhave GP but I don't want to play it on my computer. And now I don't feel like spending $70 for it on PS5

Fuck

Md Ray

Damn, he got himself perma'd over an anti-semetic post in OT.

Love how this is his final post in this thread lol.
Dude bomba'd himself.
Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

Lemondish

I don't think Sony would have even known. This is one of those coups of a deal that probably has them a bit flat footed. I imagine the stoic Sony silence will dominate this story for a while, but there's a legitimate question here: why does your primary competitor provide better value on their device for a game you developed?

It's one of those "oh no he didn't" moments we all enjoy being on the sidelines for. Pull up a chair, Gaf - watch the fanboy wars.

I don't think Sony would have even known. This is one of those coups of a deal that probably has them a bit flat footed. I imagine the stoic Sony silence will dominate this story for a while, but there's a legitimate question here: why does your primary competitor provide better value on their device for a game you developed?

It's one of those "oh no he didn't" moments we all enjoy being on the sidelines for. Pull up a chair, Gaf - watch the fanboy wars.
Imagine overreacting for such stupid thing. To much stupidity on neogaf.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Imagine overreacting for such stupid thing. To much stupidity on neogaf.
Sony just launched a $70 first party exclusive on gamepass on day one for free. I think this is worth every overreaction.

As the Joker once said, We live in a society where exclusives are a distant memory.

Lemondish

Sony just launched a $70 first party exclusive on gamepass on day one for free. I think this is worth every overreaction.

As the Joker once said, We live in a society where exclusives are a distant memory.
Sony didn't. Sony isn't the publisher. It's even juicier.

Phil outmaneuvered Jimbo in 4d chess and now we're just waiting for a response to take us to the moon.

SlimySnake

Sony didn't. Sony isn't the publisher. It's even juicier.

Phil outmaneuvered Jimbo in 4d chess and now we're just waiting for a response to take us to the moon.
Death Stranding was published by 505 games on PC. You just know Phil is calling them up right now with a fat check.

Garani

PaintTinJr

I am not buying this whole theory that MLB forced Sony to launch a game on a competitor's console in exchange for the license. It makes it sound like Sony had zero leverage. As if MLB The Show literally being the only MLB game worth a damn gets Sony no leverage. It also makes Jim Ryan look like a chump. A guy who not only got bullied into putting his exclusive on a competitor's console but also got blindsided by Phil pulling a 4d chess move. I am not buying it and I am by no means a Jim Ryan fan or supporter. I just refuse to believe that Sony got forced or tricked into this. Like if MLB was publishing this then surely Sony shouldve known that the possibility of MS paying for a gamepass day one release wouldve been on the cards. They arent running a mom and shop you know. They have analysts and businessmen whose job it is to predict stuff like thsi.

They knew. They are ok with this. I brought up the Spiderman example above, but are people really insinuating that Marvel can force Sony to launch Spiderman Miles on Xbox now? So Sony spends years of their best studio, millions in marketing, millions more in production budget and then literally gives it to the xbox guys for free because MS paid Marvel execs a few million in gamepass money?

I think this is just part of Jim Ryan's plan. He does not care about exclusivity as shown by his willingness to put exclusives on PC.
My take is, that the meta-data Sony are looking at for all the exclusives that are now going to other platforms results in a win for them - in the context that Jim is happy to be used as the guy to undermine PlayStation for a year or two, before a golden handshake, while bringing in more money for underperforming IPs and either raising those IPs profiles or determining that they aren't worth the development/publishing costs in the future.

I suspect the MLB on gamepass might be a DLC fest - like the way Sony damaged Everybody's Golf. But with MLB on XsX/S and PS5 with everything is the $70 product, and on gamepass the product will be missing enough of the rosters to upsell DLC - which Sony will get a cut of.

The MLB being on gamepass will give the game greater exposure - which it probably needs - and Sony will probably look at the meta-data to see how much it is worth to build a PSVR2 version in the future. Or it might also be an easy make-way for Sony if they already know that this version is cross-gen technology, and their next-gen engine will only look best on PS5, or play best on PSVR2 in 12months time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am not buying this whole theory that MLB forced Sony to launch a game on a competitor's console in exchange for the license. It makes it sound like Sony had zero leverage. As if MLB The Show literally being the only MLB game worth a damn gets Sony no leverage. It also makes Jim Ryan look like a chump. A guy who not only got bullied into putting his exclusive on a competitor's console but also got blindsided by Phil pulling a 4d chess move. I am not buying it and I am by no means a Jim Ryan fan or supporter. I just refuse to believe that Sony got forced or tricked into this. Like if MLB was publishing this then surely Sony shouldve known that the possibility of MS paying for a gamepass day one release wouldve been on the cards. They arent running a mom and shop you know. They have analysts and businessmen whose job it is to predict stuff like thsi.

They knew. They are ok with this. I brought up the Spiderman example above, but are people really insinuating that Marvel can force Sony to launch Spiderman Miles on Xbox now? So Sony spends years of their best studio, millions in marketing, millions more in production budget and then literally gives it to the xbox guys for free because MS paid Marvel execs a few million in gamepass money?

I think this is just part of Jim Ryan's plan. He does not care about exclusivity as shown by his willingness to put exclusives on PC.

All I can say is when Mike Ybarra was still with Xbox him and I were questing in World of Warcraft and he knew not only did I play in the Majors but love MLB The Show and he directly told me The MLB forced Sony to make The Show to go multiplat or loose the license

Did I see any type of official statement? NO but Mike has never lied to me

SlimySnake

All I can say is when Mike Ybarra was still with Xbox him and I were questing in World of Warcraft and he knew not only did I play in the Majors but love MLB The Show and he directly told me The MLB forced Sony to make The Show to go multiplat or loose the license

Interesting. So then that means Jim Ryan was basically fooled or forced into releasing a PS exclusive on gamepass on day one.

Either way, this is not a good look for Jim. Do you agree?

Lemondish

As far as I know, you've never lied to me, so it must be true.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Interesting. So then that means Jim Ryan was basically fooled or forced into releasing a PS exclusive on gamepass on day one.

I mean not really from the way Mike talked it was out of Jims hands totally.

Now the fact its coming to Gamepass I think Sony should make it a PSN game for April if they dont do that then I say yeah its a bad look

I mean not really from the way Mike talked it was out of Jims hands totally.

Now the fact its coming to Gamepass I think Sony should make it a PSN game for April if they dont do that then I say yeah its a bad look
Yeah, imagine being on XSX and have a GP subscription. You get to play the game on day 1 at no extra cost.
Now imagine being on PS5, you will have to pay full price to play it. That's kinda doing dirty to the people who bought your console.

icy121

I think it goes without saying that since the New Year, the optics and PR surrounding Playstation have been at absolute all-time low. March was absolutely brutal for them and IF Returnal is a critical dud, it's going to be another month of the industry dunking on them.

Suffice it to say, their summer press conference needs to be an 11/10. Anything else and it's going to be a massive let-down by a lot of fans who've been with them since day-1. Moreover, PS-centric sites like PushSquare are starting to call leadership into question.

MistBreeze

although I strongly believe MLB situation is caused by the MLB not Sony

and I believe in Sony games and exclusives strategy

but Xbox is doing good now step after step and microsoft is very aggressive now MLB and outriders day one is huge actually

in the other side Sony news is negative mostly and last one is ps3 - ps vita - PSP store closures

Sony should be careful cause these things add up with time

Sony must do creative strategies and features for the community

I think they should start with offering BC for old consoles including ps3 for start

PaintTinJr

The thing that makes this odd, and must have been in the works for quite some time, is that you don't just take a PS4(?)Pro enhanced(?)/patched to PS5 app level(?) game and just stick a software wrapper around it,, and then chuck it out on X1(?) X1X(?), native XsX(?)/XsS(?). you need to target those platforms and port the game, or develop in parallel. So the fooled part seems unlikely IMHO.

If they haven't already said what version is coming, then we don't know if Xbox/gamepass are getting a PS4/pro port for X1/X1X, that will be used all the way up to XsX, Which may be behind a PS5 patched version.

But if there is parity across XsX to Ps5, with gamepass being a full version, then it is a shockingly bad look for $70 PS5 game IMO.

SlimySnake

The thing that makes this odd, and must have been in the works for quite some time, is that you don't just take a PS4(?)Pro enhanced(?)/patched to PS5 app level(?) game and just stick a software wrapper around it,, and then chuck it out on X1(?) X1X(?), native XsX(?)/XsS(?). you need to target those platforms and port the game, or develop in parallel. So the fooled part seems unlikely IMHO.

If they haven't already said what version is coming, then we don't know if Xbox/gamepass are getting a PS4/pro port for X1/X1X, that will be used all the way up to XsX, Which may be behind a PS5 patched version.

But if there is parity across XsX to Ps5, with gamepass being a full version, then it is a shockingly bad look for $70 PS5 game IMO.
There is parity. Xsx and xss are getting the same ps5 next gen version.

Not that there is anything next gen about it. Same visuals as last gen. No improvements whatever. Next gen versions get a stadium creator, that's it.

Shocking that a first party studio wasn't able to update any visuals but i guess they had to port 4 Xbox versions this year so they didn't have any time to redo visuals like FIFA and NBA did last year at launch.

They did hike up the price to $70 though lol

OK well Microsoft got me!!! 🤣😬

Just sold my PS5 and got a series X!!

I have been gaming less the last 6 months and the thought of buying games at £60-70 a pop wasn't appealing and tbh I'm not a fanboy of any console.
But seeing the constant praise of gamepass has had me looking and it's got so many good games all in the service.

With Outriders and MLB now gamepass day 1 I thought sod it I'm moving.
Sure I'll miss some ps5 exclusives when they eventually appear but I'm not interested in paying £60+ each time.

For now I'm happy with "free" gamepass games and the odd 3rd party game I'll need to buy.

P.s the series x is silent compared to my slightly creaky ps5

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
GODFALL DEV EXPECTS PS5 SSD TO BE ‘BIGGEST OVERALL GAME-CHANGER’ IN NEXT FEW YEARS

Over the next few years I’d expect that the SSD may be the biggest overall game-changer. As we move from generic engine code designed to run on PC or PC to hand-tuned streaming pipeline developed specifically for the PS5 we should see amazing leaps in both content details as well as the speed with which this content loads.
This won’t just mean denser open worlds that load faster, but super-detailed small environments.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

DYING LIGHT 2 WILL STILL COME TO PS4/XBO, SAYS DEV; PERFORMANCE & QUALITY MODE ON NEXT-GEN VERSIONS

With the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S’s beefy hardware, the developer was asked if there will be performance and quality modes. Tomasz said yes. “Yes. We plan to allow you to choose: Quality (including ray tracing), Performance (60+ FPS), and 4K. As we are working hard on performance, I cannot provide more details at this point. We try to cram as much as possible onto the next- gens.”

Great Hair

Banned
I would drop the license from MLB and keep making "The Show" with the Nippon league instead. Via .dlc add "the American league", but instead of having official players they are all teddy bears and eagles with fake, funny names wearing green hats.

I would also add a tiny delay to the xbox version (online mode only).

200.gif

Neo Blaster

Man now I don't know if I'm buying mlb 21...

Inhave GP but I don't want to play it on my computer. And now I don't feel like spending $70 for it on PS5

Fuck
The game used to sell around 1 million on PS platform, ironically looks like it will sell even less after it became multiplatform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom