• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

The game used to sell around 1 million on PS platform, ironically looks like it will sell even less after it became multiplatform.
1 million only? All this fuzz for that? I have never seen anyone own a MLB game but i presumed its because a baseball game and its not very big around here

Neo Blaster

Will they be lost forever 🤔
This is sad, at least people can still put their hands on physical copies. But what about digital only?
All I can say is when Mike Ybarra was still with Xbox him and I were questing in World of Warcraft and he knew not only did I play in the Majors but love MLB The Show and he directly told me The MLB forced Sony to make The Show to go multiplat or loose the license

Did I see any type of official statement? NO but Mike has never lied to me
Hope MLB is paying Sony very good money for the game development, because they just didn't take it away from PS exclusivity, but offered a better deal for gamers on main competitor at the same time.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
OK well Microsoft got me!!! 🤣😬

Just sold my PS5 and got a series X!!

I have been gaming less the last 6 months and the thought of buying games at £60-70 a pop wasn't appealing and tbh I'm not a fanboy of any console.
But seeing the constant praise of gamepass has had me looking and it's got so many good games all in the service.

With Outriders and MLB now gamepass day 1 I thought sod it I'm moving.
Sure I'll miss some ps5 exclusives when they eventually appear but I'm not interested in paying £60+ each time.

For now I'm happy with "free" gamepass games and the odd 3rd party game I'll need to buy.

P.s the series x is silent compared to my slightly creaky ps5
Lol just sold your ps5 to buy a series X did you? No trouble finding a series X? Considering it’s sold out everywhere?

Neo Blaster

OK well Microsoft got me!!! 🤣😬

Just sold my PS5 and got a series X!!

I have been gaming less the last 6 months and the thought of buying games at £60-70 a pop wasn't appealing and tbh I'm not a fanboy of any console.
But seeing the constant praise of gamepass has had me looking and it's got so many good games all in the service.

With Outriders and MLB now gamepass day 1 I thought sod it I'm moving.
Sure I'll miss some ps5 exclusives when they eventually appear but I'm not interested in paying £60+ each time.

For now I'm happy with "free" gamepass games and the odd 3rd party game I'll need to buy.

P.s the series x is silent compared to my slightly creaky ps5
Now this kind of thinking I don't agree with, it's basically creating beggars who want everything for 'free'. Quality is not free.

Last edited:

demigod

The MLB did Sony and Playstation fans dirty. Sony San Diego did all the hard work making the game meanwhile The MLB took Microsoft's lump sum for it to be on gamepass. This is going to hurt the game sales on Playstation. Why pay $70 for the game when your competition has it for $1 gamepass. Sony needs to retaliate and put it on PS Plus day 1.

LiquidRex

The MLB did Sony and Playstation fans dirty. Sony San Diego did all the hard work making the game meanwhile The MLB took Microsoft's lump sum for it to be on gamepass. This is going to hurt the game sales on Playstation. Why pay $70 for the game when your competition has it for $1 gamepass. Sony needs to retaliate and put it on PS Plus day 1.
I just can't see Sony San Diego developing another MLB, and if this does become the case, maybe this was Microsofts plan all along. 🤔

FrankWza

I think Sony made the wrong call by agreeing to keep the license. They are the reason the franchise has any value. They should have just let the MLB revoke the license, make their own shitty Baseball game and then come back to Sony eith their tail between their legs when they realise they cannot make a worthwhile baseball game without Sony's studio.
EA would have swooped in seconds later and updated the MVP engine and had a viable, probably superior MLB game ready by 2022.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EA would have swooped in seconds later and updated the MVP engine and had a viable, probably superior MLB game ready by 2022.
EA doesnt have a baseball studio anymore. you cant just take ps2 code from a 2005 game and get a game ready in a year.

regardless, EA can make a baseball game any time they want. they just chose not to. the exclusive license 2k signed expired almost a decade ago.

Last edited:

FrankWza

EA doesnt have a baseball studio anymore. you cant just take ps2 code from a 2005 game and get a game ready in a year.

regardless, EA can make a baseball game any time they want. they just chose not to. the exclusive license 2k signed expired almost a decade ago.
Well, this deal came about a few years ago. So they would have had more time than that. They couldn’t make a game,No 3rd party could. Sony, Msoft and Nintendo could make a first party game anytime they wanted. Before and after the 2k limited exclusivity deal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Sony made the wrong call by agreeing to keep the license. They are the reason the franchise has any value. They should have just let the MLB revoke the license, make their own shitty Baseball game and then come back to Sony eith their tail between their legs when they realise they cannot make a worthwhile baseball game without Sony's studio.
yep. sony had a lot of leverage. jim just made the wrong call folding so soon.

sony couldve just gone and made their own game. hell, make a negro league game set in the 30s and 40s. that would get a lot of good press especially in todays climate and tbh, it would be a great way to breathe new life in the series which has become stale both visually and in gameplay.
Me too, a Sony studio putting so much effort for the game to end on a service on the competition day one, unless the money is good I just don't see the point.
i love the fact that they ported 4 versions of the game themselves. MLB didnt even provide them a third party port studio like nixxes or bluepoint. They basically forced them to waste countless hours porting the game to not one but four platforms at basically gun point seeing as how sony had apparently no choice, and then gave it away for free lol.

i dont think ive ever seen ownage like this before. its utterly brutal, ruthless and cold. I have shat on Phil for like 5 years now on this board, but he's made some killer moves for his fans recently. And his methods are very in your face. It's like when he walked on stage at the game awards and literally revealed the new xbox standing right in front of cerny and herman hurst. made them sit through not one but two reveals and made them applaud their competition lol. then he flexed his muscles with an insane $7.5 billion zenimax acquisition as if it was nothing, and now hes flexing again first getting MLB to force sony to release games on his platform and then paying them off to get it for free for his users. it's brilliant. Ruthless, but brilliant.

reminds me of how Ken Kutaragi, Kaz Hirai and Jack Tretton used to be in the PS2 days. i wont lie, i love console wars among companies, (between fanboys not so much) and this is the most fun ive had since Jack Tretton at e3 2013. at worst, it's great entertainment. at best, it encourages competition and who knows this national embarrassment might light a fire up Jim's ass.

ToadMan

Me too, a Sony studio putting so much effort for the game to end on a service on the competition day one, unless the money is good I just don't see the point.

To quote myself ...

Here’s my suggestion to address this problem.

Sony should make a deal with MS (and/or Amazon, Google, Apple) to put Sony 1st party games on gamepass (or equivalents)

Yeah controversial I know but hear me out.

If you look at subscription services like Netflix or Spotify - they don’t make money. MS won’t make money from gamepass and neither will amazon, google or anyone else. Those services need continual new content and that siphons off all the cash they make from subscriptions.

The companies that make the content that goes on those subscription services .... they make money. They make money for the same reason movie production companies make money but cinemas don’t.

So, wait until PS5 is a proven sales success and again dominating the gen - I don’t see why it wouldn’t. That should be evident about 12 to 18 months into the gen.

Then Sony can sell that content to MS (or indeed Amazon or Google or even epic - just start a bidding war) and let them do the marketing and delivery. Sony can just sit back and watch the cash roll in.

I didn’t expect it to be this game but actually perhaps it is one of the better ones to test the water. I also didn’t think it would be this soon - but Sony wants money and MS presumably made a good enough offer.

I don’t think it’s the last game though. From the pure business perspective why not do this? - Sony just take the cash and eliminate sales risk and MS need the content so badly they’ll throw big cash to get it.

I understand some people may feel this devalues the PS brand (although it’s specifically the custom hardware that’s devalued) - I think Sony maybe don’t care about that so much right now. The hardware doesn’t make much money and they can’t make enough to fill demand anyway - leverage the other guys hardware.

They can however produce content and get a guaranteed return without risk.

From the MS side - well they don’t have enough content, and all their studios are years away from producing something. They’ll happily pay big for Sony’s stuff and try and lock people into GP.

So at this stage I wouldn’t say this is the last such event we’ll see... The times they are a’changing....

Elog

I am very far from convinced that Sony has been played here. MLB is basically a NA title but not really a hardware pusher. Sony will get good money for this and Xbox fans is seeing that Sony Studio logo every time they play. And at the end of the day Sony has chosen to do this.

Might be a seriously good Kung-Fu move from Sony even though I can see how the current social media narrative is the opposite.

Is everyone really getting this excited over a baseball title? I've literally seen multiple "xbox won the war" clickbait posts today. Was hoping this "war" would die out a bit after the consoles were out for awhile. It was fun when we didn't know everything about the performance of each, but they are both solid consoles and fighting over a winner is essentially pointless, especially when that fighting involves an exclusive BASEBALL game going multiplat. Who cares?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Is everyone really getting this excited over a baseball title? I've literally seen multiple "xbox won the war" clickbait posts today. Was hoping this "war" would die out a bit after the consoles were out for awhile. It was fun when we didn't know everything about the performance of each, but they are both solid consoles and fighting over a winner is essentially pointless, especially when that fighting involves an exclusive BASEBALL game going multiplat. Who cares?
Probably just bored due to the lack of news.
This always happens

Sony goes silent > people freak out / blame Jim/whoever’s in charge > Sony makes huge gaming announcements > people talk up Sony again as the best thing ever

Last edited:

reksveks

To quote myself ...

I didn’t expect it to be this game but actually perhaps it is one of the better ones to test the water. I also didn’t think it would be this soon - but Sony wants money and MS presumably made a good enough offer.

I don’t think it’s the last game though. From the pure business perspective why not do this? - Sony just take the cash and eliminate sales risk and MS need the content so badly they’ll throw big cash to get it.

I understand some people may feel this devalues the PS brand (although it’s specifically the custom hardware that’s devalued) - I think Sony maybe don’t care about that so much right now. The hardware doesn’t make much money and they can’t make enough to fill demand anyway - leverage the other guys hardware.

They can however produce content and get a guaranteed return without risk.

From the MS side - well they don’t have enough content, and all their studios are years away from producing something. They’ll happily pay big for Sony’s stuff and try and lock people into GP.

So at this stage I wouldn’t say this is the last such event we’ll see... The times they are a’changing....
Think the comparison gets slightly weird due to the fact that both platform holders make a decent chunk of their money on mtx and I would assume that if you would see a drop on Sony mtx revenue that would need to be accounted for.

Used-ID

What I find funny about this whole baseball game bit, and it's something no one mentioned:

A Sony 1st party studio has physical xbox dev kits.
Which means they have access to to all the documentation on the xbox consoles, previews of firmware features, and any software "tricks of the trade" so to speak....

Microsoft got a game and is giving it away for pennies, Sony gets to see everything xbox related for as long as they have the MLB license.

Who got played?

reksveks

What I find funny about this whole baseball game bit, and it's something no one mentioned:

A Sony 1st party studio has physical xbox dev kits.
Which means they have access to to all the documentation on the xbox consoles, previews of firmware features, and any software "tricks of the trade" so to speak....

Microsoft got a game and is giving it away for pennies, Sony gets to see everything xbox related for as long as they have the MLB license.

Who got played?
Microsoft also have Sony boxes so there isnt any inequality. I am sure Microsoft don't care about it.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Think the comparison gets slightly weird due to the fact that both platform holders make a decent chunk of their money on mtx and I would assume that if you would see a drop on Sony mtx revenue that would need to be accounted for.

The Show isn’t a heavy mtx game - certainly not as bad as EA or 2K games. Now that may change (and perhaps already has) if they continue to produce it as a multiplat title but as a PS exclusive there was a lot of content, not too much grinding and it was possible to get star players for the MP without too much other than playing the game. That’s one of the reasons it rated so highly - it was still a complete game without the extras and rewards were fair.

But yeah I think it may devalue the game in a lot of people’s estimation if its offered as a rental day one.

Personally I’ve been a long time purchaser of The Show but this year I’d already decided not to jump on it and just play OOTP instead.

San Diego went from supporting just the PS4 to making a PS4, PS5, XSex and Xses version in one year - it’s difficult for me to see how they really had enough time to make it anything more than a last gen game.

It’s still a great game though - I’m just fatigued after playing it for so many years.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Which MS studio has Ps5 dev kit? Zenimax?
Honestly people are exaggerate how much info you can suck from dev kit, especially from Xbox, which is just standard xbox with more memory and some HW profiler. And PS4 at least was totally different machine, with very different OS, well at least from looks of it. So...this is frankly non issue. Those QA (stress) kits may give more info about upcoming stuff, because they are full on Xbox/PS with newer features (only if implemented on Dev kit), for example we had Xbox One X before it was launched.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I've also seen people championing mediocre games because they are on Gamepass lol

AAAA goty contender Outriders, for example
Likewise I’ve seen plenty of people putting Returnal on a pedestal, as it’s comparable to God of War or Bloodborne, simply because it’s a PS5 exclusive. So there’s lots of idiots spouting off, basically.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

There is parity. Xsx and xss are getting the same ps5 next gen version.

Not that there is anything next gen about it. Same visuals as last gen. No improvements whatever. Next gen versions get a stadium creator, that's it.

Shocking that a first party studio wasn't able to update any visuals but i guess they had to port 4 Xbox versions this year so they didn't have any time to redo visuals like FIFA and NBA did last year at launch.

They did hike up the price to $70 though lol
Wouldnt be even funnier if only xsx got nextgen patch ? (or at least run dynamic res vs dynamic cb) :d

Last edited:
I am very far from convinced that Sony has been played here. MLB is basically a NA title but not really a hardware pusher. Sony will get good money for this and Xbox fans is seeing that Sony Studio logo every time they play. And at the end of the day Sony has chosen to do this.

Might be a seriously good Kung-Fu move from Sony even though I can see how the current social media narrative is the opposite.

I don't think Sony get's any more money from this than the sales revenue from their own platform, especially if MLB are publishing on other platforms.

Since the game on Xbox is also being given away for free on GP, there's really not a lot of revenue to be had from that platform to start with.

FrankWza

sony couldve just gone and made their own game.
EA tried that when the MLB license went 1st party /2k with a Minor League game and it flopped. The only other thing that works with baseball is maybe something like the Bigs which is cartoony. And pro yakyuu in Japan or Asia.
Well, they had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t. Or wouldn’t. Or couldn’t.(they could have,legally)That’s a question nobody asks.

Last edited:
Star Wars Doom GIF

ToadMan

EA tried that when the MLB license went 1st party /2k with a Minor League game and it flopped. The only other thing that works with baseball is maybe something like the Bigs which is cartoony. And pro yakyuu in Japan or Asia.

Well, they had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t. Or wouldn’t. Or couldn’t.(they could have,legally)That’s a question nobody asks.

I don’t think MS saw sufficient value in making a baseball game. Sony used the MLB license because it was cheap and helped them identify with a user base in the USA and Canada. They did a great job and produced a well liked product.

But MS are already established there - they had different objectives.

If I worked for San Diego studio I’d be flattered that the MLB took this step of pushing their product multiplat and that MS are paying for it to appear on Gamepass. That is a glowing recommendation.

Sony’s studios are “hitting it out of the park” this last year or two - what happens with the custom hardware is a different matter.

ToadMan

I don't think Sony get's any more money from this than the sales revenue from their own platform, especially if MLB are publishing on other platforms.

Since the game on Xbox is also being given away for free on GP, there's really not a lot of revenue to be had from that platform to start with.

Unlikely. This isn’t a normal publisher arrangement - Sony literally don’t need MLB for any technical or publishing service and the MLB license is cheap as sports licenses go. No way Sony would just let them walk away with a 100% of all non-PS sales. MLB will have a revenue split with Sony of some kind.

In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that however much money has changed hands for the GP support, it’s probably already left Sony with a profit for the year on this particular product and studio before the game is even up for sale.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Sony surely got paid for the development in the "outside of Playstation" publishing deal. Just like any developer would creating a game to be published by someone else. And the MLB likely got a fat check from MS, which is revenue..

Not sure your thinking here makes much sense.

Sony is developer in this case.. and then self publisher on Playstation.

Last edited:
More fanboys from twitter garbage..

And a picture of shit smeared on baby.

Seriously you guys are fucking clowns.
As you should know, Matt and Rosario are engineers, both worked on PS5. Rosario is still on Sony.

The point is, many people (twitter, era, gaf) tells bullshit about subjects that they don't have professional experience. And sometimes a real professional appears and show who are the fucking clown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom