• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dim

Banned
Of course you do; you're a fanboy. And nothing gets a fanboy angrier than seeing another fanboy out-fanboying them for a competitor's product.

This is embarrassing for all of you guys by now, damn :LOL:
Its very hard for me to follow the flat line in your brain.
Do you have read about Projection and Hysteria in Psychology area?

Dim

Banned
Fuck it.

I'm happy with a 9.2TF PS5 that has major advancement in other areas apart from raw graphical power.
If Sony really is going for 'Speed over power' with PS5 then i'm all for it. Developers having 9.2TF to play with is still plenty.

'World's fastest console' ?? I can live with that.
If Sony going for speed the better to add 4 wheels on PS5 and launch it as competitor to Tesla.
Sony from PS1 till PS5 try to do the best without misleading fans with "clouds" and "destruction" mouthpieces

Ovech-King

Jim Ryan to me is the new riddler . Does he means fast transition to ps4 to ps5 because it's 399$ or because there will be two models therefore more people buying in (hence " ps5 for the hardcore gamer" 2nd sku claim)

Hmmm... Tommy ? Came from near ? Any hints for us ?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Of course not. He simply said way back when that PS5 has RT hardware and left it at that. Forums speculate what that means, but the reality his statement can mean anything above the RDNA1 baseline. We won't know until the reveal.

In my opinion, XSX will have the same solution that AMD will have with RDNA2 GPU's. PS5 may have that or something else.

He clarified it in the second Wired article.

“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,”

Godfall is also the first confirmed next-gen game to be using Ray-Tracing.

A few things don't quite add up. Also wouldn't a 36CU APU be bandwidth starved with 256 bit bus @14Gbps - that's the same as an RX5700, but also has an 8 core Zen to feed ..

even the 5700XT is bandwidth starved in a lot of scenarios at 4K. and thats - as you said - without a CPU. let alone consoles historically always had higher bandwith needs in respect to their power. so if they'd go with a 40 or less CU die at high clocks they needed to at least complement that with 18Gbps chips @ 256bit. and even that probably wouldn't guaranty a bottleneck free system.

Yes.

3xWGP - 60CUs - 56CUs
2xWGP - 40CUs - 36CUs

what is that supposed to mean? Workgroup Processors (WGPs) are the term for the dual CU in the RDNA documentation. Do you mean that there are 3 CUs per WGP in XSX? if so, i very much doubt that. Or did you confuse WGPs with Shader Arrays. I posted the explaination of that a few days ago and why it's highly unlikely that we will see an uneven amount of those:

It be here...

L0 cache 2 per dual cu each 16kb 32 way
L1 cache for each 5 dual cus 128kb 16 way
L2 4mB 16 way

This has 40 cus ( 4x10) ... most likely upgrade is to add one dual cu to each group = (4x12) 48 cus .. or add a whole extra group = (5x10) 50 cus ... or do both = (5x12) = 60

56 active seems likely

If you add a whole new group you will add more latency and wont be able to clock as high.

what you refer to as a "group" is called shader array in RDNA. i've drawn a navi 10 diagramm back in august to show what's what:

navi10dielayout28oj25.png

the problem with that

.. or add a whole extra group = (5x10) 50 cus ... or do both = (5x12) = 60

is, that each shader array shares parts of it's front end with another shader array to form a shader engine. so you had to add a whole new shader engine. while that would be nice, that die would become rather big at that point.

so in the gonzalo thread i speculated about adding four CUs per shader array, which would also make spacial sense. that would give 56CUs of wich you would likely have to dissable some for yield reasons:

consoledielayoutqojie.png

we don't know, how dCUs are disabled in RDNA. in GCN you had to disable one CU per shader array to maintain load symmetry. it not clear if this is still necessary with RDNA.

so there are lot of options for such a layout. and going by navi 14 there are other spacial layout options as well that could make sense.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Not really because the data that told them PS5 is 36CU also show another 36CU GPU

I don't take either one of these as fact I'm just asking why are people taking the data that showed 2 different GPUs with 36CUs & coming up with 36 & not 72?

I tried pointing that out as a flaw in the AMD data but everyone chooses to ignore it, along with no RT and Oberon / Arden being related.

R600

Banned
even the 5700XT is bandwidth starved in a lot of scenarios at 4K. and thats - as you said - without a CPU. let alone consoles historically always had higher bandwith needs in respect to their power. so if they'd go with a 40 or less CU die at high clocks they needed to at least complement that with 18Gbps chips @ 256bit. and even that probably wouldn't guaranty a bottleneck free system.

what is that supposed to mean? Workgroup Processors (WGPs) are the term for the dual CU in the RDNA documentation. Do you mean that there are 3 CUs per WGP in XSX? if so, i very much doubt that. Or did you confuse WGPs with Shader Arrays. I posted the explaination of that a few days ago and why it's highly unlikely that we will see an uneven amount of those:
Sorry, misspelled it.

PS5 20WGP - 2 disabled - 36CUs at 2.0GHZ

XSX 30WGP - 2 disabled - 56CUs at ??

That is what we got from leaked data. Its no longer there, it was deleted this morning.

It also shows 18Gbps chips for Oberon on 256bit bus

I honestly think that many here have too much time or too little problems in their lives to argue over these devices.

If you really love gaming the HEALTH of this industry should be your main concern.

PS5, XSEX, Switch 2 or whatever...these are only the means to enjoy the amazing works of extremely talented and inspired people behind the games we love and became the hobby that many of us associate with the fondest of moments and memories that, in some cases, helped many to even overcome moments of deep grief.

The hardware manufactures are in only for the money and I also want powerful next gen consoles (every time I play Breath of the Wild or a Nintendo game I just can't help thinking what could they achieve with better hardware) but this industry needs competition and I hope you realise that nothing good comes out from one company dominating the game industry by whatever means.

Mass Shift

BS storm starting at Resetera somebody find my oct0xor post right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really something to see.

You have one faction outright discrediting the AMD test documentation.

You have another faction validating the documentation but CLAIMING Series X Arden as PS5 silicon part.

And finally you have a 3rd faction that is insisting that Ariel/Oberon are outdated and that another piece of silicon has already replaced it and will be announced at PS Meeting.

Oh and all factions are waiting for Klee to come in and debunk 9TFs. Which would suit me just fine btw. Just don't know if that's going to be the final result.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's a "new generation RDNA" (it can be RDNA1 with RDNA2 features, but IMO - RDNA2) and we have 2020 official confirmed. On CES, AMD should announce Navi 2x / RDNA2.
I don't know how you would bolt on something like a brand new TMU structure that is such a big change. It has to be RDNA2 since it has AMD ray ray tracing I can't see how you bolt on those changes. By the time you tried to show horn that in you could of completed a rdna2 chip.

Reactions: Dim

Proelite

Thanks. His explanation makes sense and it also aligns with what Klee was saying.

People here thought this pastebin info was a joke, but maybe it wasnt 😉. Around 12 TF for both consoles is exciting.

Absolute BS.

I honestly think that many here have too much time or too little problems in their lives to argue over these devices.

If you really love gaming the HEALTH of this industry should be your main concern.

PS5, XSEX, Switch 2 or whatever...these are only the means to enjoy the amazing works of extremely talented and inspired people behind the games we love and became the hobby that many of us associate with the fondest of moments and memories that, in some cases, helped many to even overcome moments of deep grief.

The hardware manufactures are in only for the money and I also want powerful next gen consoles (every time I play Breath of the Wild or a Nintendo game I just can't help thinking what could they achieve with better hardware) but this industry needs competition and I hope you realise that nothing good comes out from one company dominating the game industry by whatever means.
And it continues to the games.

Xbox has this many blades of grass than Playstation.
That game has x amount of pixels more than Xbox.

And you know the media absolutely loves pouring gasoline on these ridiculous bickering over trivial shit when they should be focusing on the games and how they play or what new innovations they bring.

No wonder developers and insiders avoid places like these forums because they'd get abused if their comments make a particular plastic box look inferior to another plastic box.

Its absolutely insane and the reason why i drop by occassionally to read up on some game news. Forums having become too much of a vile, disgusting environment in which one can discuss the hobby we all love with like minded people who actually enjoy the games.

I have to say mods here on neogaf are awesome. I havent seen more polite and cool mods anywhere else. These guys still have borders and will punish people for their actions but they act more like friends, and not like policemen.
Also THIS.

Coming from Era where i was banned for saying Michelle Obama was hot and then again banned for stating how some South African communities inflict mob justice on suspected criminals and how this kind of behavior may spread to other communities where law enforcement are not doing enough.

Gaf is absolutely a breath of fresh air and the mods here are great. It also makes me consider very carefully what i post but i also know that i can approach a mod if ever i posted something that may be a little questionable. Also here is no hive mind mentalitly like there is on Era. Post something vaguely controversial on that forum and you'll have like 5 members dump on you (derailing the thread in the process) and eventually you get banned.

We all need to do our bit to make this forum a good place to be to discuss the things we love

D-Dude

This tread was fun to read months ago, but these last weeks it has turned out really shit. Full on fanboy wars, listwars, name-calling etc. It has become very irritating to read or to follow. Many claim to know "stuff" but know nothing, but keep spouting "facts" and "leaked".

I have not put so many people on ignore in my life..
Is it me or are there suddenly a influx of new members here?

Nickolaidas

This little Teraflop went on the market ...

This little Teraflop stayed home ...

This little Teraflop had roast beef ...

And this little Teraflop had none.

Guess that explains why we went from 13 TFs to 9 TFs.

Nickolaidas

This tread was fun to read months ago, but these last weeks it has turned out really shit. Full on fanboy wars, listwars, name-calling etc. It has become very irritating to read or to follow. Many claim to know "stuff" but know nothing, but keep spouting "facts" and "leaked".

I have not put so many people on ignore in my life..
Is it me or are there suddenly a influx of new members here?
You're focusing on the negative, D-Dude. Be mindful of your thoughts.

In all seriousness, it's not that bad. People are just anxious for more news/leaks and are overanalyzing all possible info. If you think it's tiresome (which I guess it can be), I advise you to leave this thread alone and check another, less heated one.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dim

Nickolaidas

I decided not to register for Resetera, there people don't know anything, they ask the same thing over and over again. They don't bother to read even two pages, the truth is that a place like that bores me.
To be brutally honest, as far as the Next-Gen threads go, I see no difference between here and Era, other than the fact that GAF is apparently considered taboo'ed over there and mentioning it as a source of info invites the wrath of the mods.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be brutally honest, as far as the Next-Gen threads go, I see no difference between here and Era, other than the fact that GAF is apparently considered taboo'ed over there and mentioning it as a source of info invites the wrath of the mods.

The NPDs don’t want people seeing the greener grass.

TLZ

Banned
A Github repo, by AMD.
How do we know AMD created it and not some random person dumping it there? And why would AMD dump something so sensitive publicly, with easy to search keywords?

This little Teraflop went on the market ...

This little Teraflop stayed home ...

This little Teraflop had roast beef ...

And this little Teraflop had none.

Guess that explains why we went from 13 TFs to 9 TFs.
Have you gone crazy mister? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's ok, I don't blame you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom