• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

You know, the more I think about it, and viewing DF's video about the heat the XSX is going to produce and the need to have sufficient cooling solutions, I'm not entirely sure if I want the PS5 to be a 13 TF console with the size of the PS4. I'm afraid this is going to have the same heating / fan problems of the PS4, and I so don't want to go there again. I prefer a 9.2 TF console if that means that the PS5 (for its size) is going to be reasonably cool and not go like a jet engine the second RT effects are displayed on the screen.

squidilix

You know, the more I think about it, and viewing DF's video about the heat the XSX is going to produce and the need to have sufficient cooling solutions, I'm not entirely sure if I want the PS5 to be a 13 TF console with the size of the PS4. I'm afraid this is going to have the same heating / fan problems of the PS4, and I so don't want to go there again. I prefer a 9.2 TF console if that means that the PS5 (for its size) is going to be reasonably cool and not go like a jet engine the second RT effects are displayed on the screen.

The PS4 have no problem of heat, just a bad (very bad) thermal past & thermal pad. That's why fan going crazy.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Lockhart loses its value proposition by targeting PS5 level of performance (provided PS5 is actually around 9-9.5 TFLOPs). MS's made it pretty clear Lockhart is a low-cost alternative, and preferably it'd be tuned for streaming. Therefore it wouldn't need to be anywhere near PS5 in terms of power since it wouldn't be focusing as much on local (non-streaming) gaming.

$199 Lockhart/XSES, $499 XSEX. Hell, maybe even $399 XSEX if MS is willing to lose that much on each system sold. Lockhart at (purported) PS5 specs loses any strong selling point or value proposition to MS and customers.

Agreed. The entire purpose of Lockhart is to be affordable. As far as I know the box isn't streaming focused, with full focus still being on local play at lower resolutions. This should be a nice option. As long as the CPU and SSD are reasonably close to Anaconda in performance, game developers should have no problem handling lower resolutions with 4TF (which will match performance with the One X, given architecture improvements).

Again I ask why do people believe that 2 36CU GPUs equal 36CUs & not 72CUs?

1 of them could be used as a accelerator

And again, this isn't far off from the "hidden GPU in power brick" fantasy land stuff we heard Xbox fanboys talking about as secret sauce with XBO. You can be better than that.

Agreed. The entire purpose of Lockhart is to be affordable. As far as I know the box isn't streaming focused, with full focus still being on local play at lower resolutions. This should be a nice option. As long as the CPU and SSD are reasonably close to Anaconda in performance, game developers should have no problem handling lower resolutions with 4TF (which will match performance with the One X, given architecture improvements).

If XSEX is coming with a 1TB SSD I figure Lockhart could come with a cut-down 128GB (or 256GB) version of that; the CPU will likely be notably downclocked from whatever XSEX's is. If they can keep it to $199 that not only bodes well for Lockhart but ironically Nintendo; assuming they might switch (no pun intended) to AMD for Switch 2, they could potentially get something close to Lockhart in terms of performance and throw in their own portable stuff for $299 in, say, 2022.

AMD have been expanding into mobile markets with solutions targeted there these days, and I don't think Nintendo would be too fussed about Switch 2 being BC with the original. Unless Nvidia can offer a new Tegra solution of suitable capability for a hybrid successor I can easily see Nintendo switching to AMD and going for something just a bit cut-down from Lockhart and mobile-optimized for a Switch 2, handling Switch BC through software emulation or forgoing it altogether.

*Nintendo'll probably do a Switch Pro next year like Sony and MS did with their systems, before a full-on Switch successor.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Bonus bonus conspiracy thy both have the same exact chip and modifications and we are all a bunch of dummies 😂😂😂 12. 5 TF all across the board!!!

They are going to be pretty close imo unless there is a large price difference.

The main levers are all the same and the sweet spot of die size, yield, power consumption, performance will be what it will be for a given budget. Assuming both consoles are targeting the same price it is unlikely there will be massive differences in performance between them unless one of the manufacturers wants a large loss leader.

I think we will end up with 350mm Apus and in that area you could fit around 60 CUs + 384 bit bus + 64 rops and clock it to hit 12Tflops and most likely be in the perf/watt sweet spot.

A smaller higher clocked die is going to need more voltage and power and will be much harder to cool due to hot spots rather than pure wattage.

So outside of a large price difference or a company willing to eat more of a loss upfront performance will be pretty close if not identical.

onQ123

And again, this isn't far off from the "hidden GPU in power brick" fantasy land stuff we heard Xbox fanboys talking about as secret sauce with XBO. You can be better than that.

Not really because the data that told them PS5 is 36CU also show another 36CU GPU

I don't take either one of these as fact I'm just asking why are people taking the data that showed 2 different GPUs with 36CUs & coming up with 36 & not 72?

If XSEX is coming with a 1TB SSD I figure Lockhart could come with a cut-down 128GB (or 256GB) version of that; the CPU will likely be notably downclocked from whatever XSEX's is.

From what I've seen the CPU downclock is limited 20-25%, inline with the difference in power needed to handle higher resolutions. Storage will certainly not be less than 500GB (I believe the same 1TB drive will be in both). Game install sizes require at least 500GB. RAM will be adjusted downward, also inline with the reduced resolution targets. MS will be subsidizing this box more than Anaconda, hence the lack of disk drive (ensuring MS is not only the licensor, but also the retailer for any game you put on there). While the APU, RAM, Radiator will provide considerable savings, the price gap between the systems will be larger than the net difference in build costs.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The only thing i know for sure from a trusted source with big history in console hacking community is "Sony is about to announce something really awesome"
Last Night from 36C3 CCC

Interesting. I think on the hardware/software front ps5 is going to innovate some things and bring some gd surprises.

Reactions: TLZ
The only thing i know for sure from a trusted source with big history in console hacking community is "Sony is about to announce something really awesome"
Last Night from 36C3 CCC

All of those bullet points above are in regards to security bug-fixing and testing. Why does something tell me this announcement is in regards to that instead of anything particularly related to PS5?

From what I've seen the CPU downclock is limited 20-25%, inline with the difference in power needed to handle higher resolutions. Storage will certainly not be less than 500GB (I believe the same 1TB drive will be in both). Game install sizes require at least 500GB. RAM will be adjusted downward, also inline with the reduced resolution targets. MS will be subsidizing this box more than Anaconda, hence the lack of disk drive (ensuring MS is not only the licensor, but also the retailer for any game you put on there). While the APU, RAM, Radiator will provide considerable savings, the price gap between the systems will be larger than the net difference in build costs.

Interesting; so essentially they might be willing to lose more on Lockhart than XSEX with the choices you've laid here. Which, if they want to drive Lockhart adoption rates quickly (people would have to sub and download digitally anyway), probably makes sense.

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
All of those bullet points above are in regards to security bug-fixing and testing. Why does something tell me this announcement is in regards to that instead of anything particularly related to PS5?
If you lazy to watch the video Is presentation of oct0xor at CCC ,he came back after 2 weeks in Japan with Sony Interactive Security team and at the end say "Stay tuned Sony is about to announce something really awesome i am sure all of you going to like that".
Is nothing to do with bug security,is a leak hacker to community 99% with hardware announcement ,only a new hardware is something hackers going to like that......
I dont know if "stay tune" means next days,waiting to answer me in tweet
44:14

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
If you lazy to watch the video Is presentation of oct0xor at CCC ,he came back after 2 weeks in Japan with Sony Interactive Security team and at the end say "Stay tuned Sony is about to announce something really awesome i am sure all of you going to like that".
Is nothing to do with bug security,is a leak hacker to community 99% with hardware announcement ,only a new hardware is something hackers going to like that......

Thnks for the breakdown.

Dim

Banned

Interesting; so essentially they might be willing to lose more on Lockhart than XSEX with the choices you've laid here. Which, if they want to drive Lockhart adoption rates quickly (people would have to sub and download digitally anyway), probably makes sense.
After bug fixed in 7.02 FW and after the end of presentation that tip from oct0xor (a guy who loves to find security holes in Sony hardware)i dont believe is something related to bug-fixing but some info for sharing.
Do you believe a hacking community find a Sony announcement for bug-fix in security "AWESOME" or something they "Going to like that"??????
I believe his knows some ETA for AWESOME Sony annoumncment

FranXico

After bug fixed in 7.02 FW and after the end of presentation that tip from oct0xor (a guy who loves to find security holes in Sony hardware)i dont believe is something related to bug-fixing but some info for sharing.
Do you believe a hacking community find a Sony announcement for bug-fix in security "AWESOME" or something they "Going to like that"??????
I believe his knows some ETA for AWESOME Sony annoumncment
Must be something like Sony bringing OtherOS back for PS5.

• Triggered

FranXico

OtherOS is not something Sony is going to announcement as AWESOME(too many lawsuits),and you forget the reasons Sony take it away that option from PS3?
But what else would interest a hacker?
Emulation? Backwards compatibility?

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Yes.

3xWGP - 60CUs - 56CUs
2xWGP - 40CUs - 36CUs
But MS team claim they are on RDNA2 and 7+nm ?????
That means no Xbox 12TF launch for 2020?????????
Maybe XBOX 12TF is a PR trick with early announcement by MS to protect less powerful Lockhart ???????

Last edited:
Ok ill give it to you short. The 13tflop dream based in fake insiders seems to been deemed bullshit now because a well known data miner from reddit made a twitter account and he put out oberons specs which is basically the ps5 apu. 9.2 tflop is now the new number, so like when 12 tflops for Xbox SX came up, the 13 tflop news came about, and now ppl are saying Sony has possibly two skus and this 9.2 well is the lower end lol .
No fucking chance.

A 9.2TF PS5 at $399 will do just fine. Pricing any higher than $399 will be a huge gamble.

Perhaps Sony is confident in their SSD tech should give potential buyers something to think about instead of just raw graphical power.

Yes; someone politely disagrees with you online over what a potential reveal could be. You proceed to insult them like an insulant child. Piss off.

Besides, I'm tired of the fanboy drivel that's resulted from these latest leaks. On both sides.

• Love
Reactions: Dim

Racer!

No fucking chance.

A 9.2TF PS5 at $399 will do just fine. Pricing any higher than $399 will be a huge gamble.

Perhaps Sony is confident in their SSD tech should give potential buyers something to think about instead of just raw graphical power.

So incredibly wrong. Launching with gimped specs is the real gamble. That wont happen though. What youre seeing now is just a lot of noise.

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Yes.

3xWGP - 60CUs - 56CUs
2xWGP - 40CUs - 36CUs

No fucking chance.

But MS team claim they are on RDNA2 and 7+nm ?????
That means no Xbox 12TF launch for 2020?????????
Maybe XBOX 12TF is a PR trick with early announcement 2nd SKU by MS to protect less powerful Lockhart ???????
In the other side Sony have the advantage to make announcement about a 2nd SKU PS5 more powerfull then?????
I think Sony already calling checkmat

Dim

Banned
Yes; someone politely disagrees with you online over what a potential reveal could be. You proceed to insult them like an insulant child. Piss off.

Besides, I'm tired of the fanboy drivel that's resulted from these latest leaks. On both sides.
WTF are you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say if you lazy to watch,followed by a damn synopsis.
Dont be a drama queen,many people get lazy to watch a video.
You are in period and you get so easy offended????
I dont understand your explosion and where is the insult.
Maybe word lazy trigered you some memories from parents comments.
My apologies if..............
P.S Maybe you lazy to read too

Last edited:
  • LOL

Fitzchiv

If PS5 gpu ends up being equeivalent or even slightly better (according to some insiders and myself) than the series X, TimDog/MisterXMedia should be absolutely banned forever from any gaming discussion community for being an agitator who hás nothing to add other than flames, drama, useless troll posts from many of his accounts popping up out of nowhere

Jesus you really are a little bitch aren't you. By the time I get to the most recent page of this shitfest I bet you've gone all-in on this whingey, waaa waaa bullshit.

Dim

Banned
It's a "new generation RDNA" (it can be RDNA1 with RDNA2 features, but IMO - RDNA2) and we have 2020 official confirmed. On CES, AMD should announce Navi 2x / RDNA2.
Still very easy for Sony to announce a 2nd SKU too,same architect nothing to test just more powerful.
Very easy.
Why so many chaos in forums where Sony have one more card in hand advantage.

Fuck it.

I'm happy with a 9.2TF PS5 that has major advancement in other areas apart from raw graphical power.
If Sony really is going for 'Speed over power' with PS5 then i'm all for it. Developers having 9.2TF to play with is still plenty.

'World's fastest console' ?? I can live with that.

Dim

Banned
It's a "new generation RDNA" (it can be RDNA1 with RDNA2 features, but IMO - RDNA2) and we have 2020 official confirmed. On CES, AMD should announce Navi 2x / RDNA2.
We know something going to launch at 2020 is not clear what SKU will be launch and the specs is not clear,we use last week PR words and some random diggings as Evangelion
About RDNA with RDNA2 imports is something we know from the day Lisa Lu announce Sony and AMD to Navi cooperation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom