• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said 2x he X = 12. if we are to believe a teraflop is a teraflop. infact the ONLY solid info we have about nextgen consoles is that xbox is 12 teraflops.

IIRC, they stated 2x the console. And also 4x the CPU, but haven't explicitly said 2x the GPU. Or is memory playing me a trick?

TeamGhobad

Banned
IIRC, they stated 2x the console. And also 4x the CPU, but haven't explicitly said 2x the GPU. Or is memory playing me a trick?

no phil specifically said 2x the gpu of the X.

Spencer told us, "We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

but here is the problem:

8*1.31 = 10.5 OG XO
8*1.40 =11.2 XO S

not 12 teraflops...

edit: He did say OVER eight times so ya 12/1.31 = 9.2 and 12/1.40= 8.6

so ya it make sense he's talking about xbox model s with 1.4 teraflops. the vcr model doesn't exist apparently anymore according to them. it all lines up.

Last edited:
They did specifically say 2xgpu and 4xcpu, that can still be interpreted in different ways. The systems are powerful, I'm not loosing sleep over a performance difference, so long as the designs are reasonably well thought out. The reason why the PS4 and Xbone are so different in performance is not just the GPU but the memory situation.

the Xbone X and s GPUs are locked to each other. The X is 4.29 x more powerful than the S (in TF). If Xbox PR says that the XSX is 2 x the power of Xbone X that automatically implies that it is 8.58% more powerful than the base model (hence more than 8). This doesn't change based on whether or not PR was being literal or figurative.

Last edited:

Spencer told us, "We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

but here is the problem:

8*1.31 = 10.5 OG XO
8*1.40 =11.2 XO S

not 12 teraflops...

Yeah, now I remember, thanks. Well, we are given a range of GPU power. Time will tell.

Nickolaidas

klee is not an insider but has insider info that could be old. for a 399 price points 9.2 makes sense. you cant get 13 tflops with 399 aint happening.
only concrete evidence we have is github and it says 12, phil says 12, early leakers say 12. its 12. and 9.2 makes sense for ps5.

What makes you so certain that the PS5 will be 399?

joe_zazen

he probably doesn't like XSX because it uses too much power and its bad for the environment...yep this is how soyboys think. somebody should tell him that the witness ran in 20fps on xbox one (origina).

lol, no. Blow drives a $300 000 gasoline engine beast. He really needs to remember to put the roof up when parking in the street.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
klee is not an insider but has insider info that could be old. for a 399 price points 9.2 makes sense. you cant get 13 tflops with 399 aint happening.
only concrete evidence we have is github and it says 12, phil says 12, early leakers say 12. its 12. and 9.2 makes sense for ps5.

Who said it's going to be $399?

That's a rumor and not an official statement from Sony.

Github data could be old or it could be new. If you have people such as Jason saying it's close and others who have been verified basically stating the same thing, then I have enough reason to consider all things instead of completely ruling anything out.

But he didn't say 12. Even at 10TF on next gen hardware, it's better than two times the GPU power of the X.

TeamGhobad

Banned
What makes you so certain that the PS5 will be 399?

that would be the price point for a 9.2 machine.

But he didn't say 12. Even at 10TF on next gen hardware, it's better than two times the GPU power of the X.

we already had this discussion. a teraflop is a teraflop. 12 has been confirmed by other sources too. Arden leak, early learks, insiders, ect ect its 12.

Last edited:

Reindeer

but here is the problem:

8*1.31 = 10.5 OG XO
8*1.40 =11.2 XO S

not 12 teraflops...
Really not sure why Phil Spencer would be expecting your average consumer to do that architecture maths, that would just be terrible PR. I'm pretty sure it's tflops to tflops as many sources also claim it's 12 tflops of Navi. This whole mental gymnastics with GCN and RDNA comparison doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All doable on pc right now (excluding PS4 obviously) so I see no reason why this won't be the case.

Wish I had kept some more discs.

Hopefully games brought from the store for PS3 will be available for download, that would be awesome.

Licensing is the biggest hurdle. Sunk costs and all that. It is why it's drip-fed on MS as well, instead of flicking a switch for the whole catalog to be worked into their BC conversion. They have to approach each individual IP, it's a big time sunk task.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Really not sure why Phil Spencer would be expecting your average consumer to do that architecture maths, that would just be terrible PR. I'm pretty sure it's tflops to tflops as many sources also claim it's 12 tflops of Navi GPU. This whole mental gymnastics with GCN and RDNA comparison doesn't make any sense.

pr is all about leaving lasting impressions, not truth.

& ms pr speak is amazing at twisting stuff. They are first class that way, which is why i do not give them the benefit of the doubt. It could be 9.2 and the pr messaging not be a lie.

time will tell.

Reindeer

pr is all about leaving lasting impressions, not truth.

& ms pr speak is amazing at twisting stuff. They are first class that way, which is why i do not give them the benefit of the doubt. It could be 9.2 and the pr messaging not be a lie.

time will tell.
Only problem being of course nobody claimed it's 9 tflops for Series X, all the leaks and all the insiders indicate it will be around 12. This whole 9 tflops figure for Series X is only brought up by people who are doing mental gymnastics with different architectures.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

It literally says 12 TF RDNA in the Github docs though.

Honestly I would like both consoles to hit that but I'd like at least one system to do it. Currently out of the two it seems MS would be more willing to hit a 12 TF target, at a higher price.

and dev kits are dev kits, retail units are retail units.

but yes, i am of the opinion too that ms’ two tier strat means they will have most power, unless sony is willing to subsidize big time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
and dev kits are dev kits, retail units are retail units.

but yes, i am of the opinion too that ms’ two tier strat means they will have most power, unless sony is willing to subsidize big time.

I am quite convinced MS will have more power.

I am not convinced it is the massive gulf that some are thinking over a Github post though I could be wrong.

I am in the camp of within 10% of each other.

All my guesses mind you.

joe_zazen

Only problem being of course nobody claimed it's 9 tflops for Series X, all the leaks and all the insiders indicate it will be around 12. This whole 9 tflops figure for Series X is only brought up by people who are doing mental gymnastics with different architectures.

Saying “9.2 rdna TF with give you twice the gaming power of 6 gnc” is true, as is stating 6tfX2=12. Both cases, pr is not lying.

also true: nobody outside of insiders has the numbers yet of either retail units.

And i like not knowing, lol. It makes these threads fun. Once we have real, concrete numbers all this stuff becomes super boring DF pixel counting noise.

Reindeer

Saying “9.2 rdna TF with give you twice the gaming power of 6 gnc” is true, as is stating 6tfX2=12. Both cases, pr is not lying.

also true: nobody outside of insiders has the numbers yet of either retail units.

And i like not knowing, lol. It makes these threads fun. Once we have real, concrete numbers all this stuff becomes super boring DF pixel counting noise.
Once again, all the insiders and all the leaked info indicate it will be around 12 tflops RDNA. Not one credible person said it's 12 tflops GCN or 9 tflops RDNA. Plus we have the leaked info that show Arden having 56 CUs which more than likely means they're targeting 12 tflops Navi.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Would definitely like PS5 to be stronger then XSX, as that is console I am definitely looking to buy. Not that 9.2TF v 12TF will matter so much, but I always had better 3rd party performing system in each gen.

Would also be perfect if Lockhart existed so I can get cheap 1080p system for games I cant play on PS5.

TeamGhobad

Banned
I would like to add that XSX might be 600dollars which is not good if you want a big install base and a 4tflop system is not really all that appealing.
unless MS is willing to take a big hit and release it at 399 or maybe 449 not sure they will gain ground all that fast.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Who said it's going to be $399?

That's a rumor and not an official statement from Sony.

Github data could be old or it could be new. If you have people such as Jason saying it's close and others who have been verified basically stating the same thing, then I have enough reason to consider all things instead of completely ruling anything out.

You are wasting your time with this one, the force is definitely strong. Your suppose to forget all the info from some credible insiders and go with the github bcus of reasons 🤔

Last edited:

demigod

Xbox Series X's implementation of RT is definitely not an emulated solution using compute shaders. It's true hardware based ray tracing. How good AMD's solution is compared to what was shown in RTX cards remains to be seen, but it's definitely nothing like the 1080Ti solution. Maybe there's some kind of hybrid solution where it's a combination, I don't know how AMD does it fully, but I know for a fact it's DEFINITELY nothing like the 1080 Ti method, which is pure compute shader based without dedicated hardware designed to accelerate specific intensive ray tracing based techniques.

I guess that's a no on the bet? So much for DF CREDIBILITY.

$500-$600 console price is a bad news in the market where Nintendo Switch exist.

At least for Microsoft, Lockhart seems to be their safety solution.

Airbus Jr

Banned
$500-$600 console price is a bad news in the market where Nintendo Switch exist.

PS5 and Series X are supposed to compete with high end PC or at least close enough to it

If $500-$600 is what it takes to get there im ok with it

Switch are closer to mobile platform

Theyre heading into different trajectory at this point

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
To be fair the same thing can be said about Matt and his Sony fanboyism. Works both ways
You're making mistake. If Matt spoke good or bad about Sony is up with him, but when a Xbox fanboy talk about a leak to put PS5 in worst way possible OR a Playstation fanboy talk about a leak to put Xbox series X in bad way as well.

We expect insiders from Sony to talk about Sony console because is what they have at the same way we expect insiders from Microsoft to talk about Microsoft console because is what they have. If you pay attention, most of the fake insiders are more focus on bad PR leaks rather than spoke good about their preference console.

Just like the last 'datamine'. Xbox series X being a 12TF was a great info for the Xbox community to talk about, instead they're got more focus about PS5 being 9TF and not have ray tracing rather than Xbox series get a monster spec.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

I'm literally the only person on the planet (I think) who wasn't bothered by Sony's "$599" PS3 back in 2006. I never understand how or why console gamers live in a bubble where literal bargain basement console prices are expected... whilst single games can cost upwards of $60 when new. I mean $599 for a TV in current year tech market is considered "mid-range", yet apparently consoles need to be dirt cheap "or else the manufacturer is doomed".

I would have happily signed-up for a $599 (599 euros here) higher spec PS4 if it meant no Pro model & games with consistent fps + resolution for the duration of the gen. This past gen was quite frankly borderline disgraceful, i.e. we pay $399 in 2013 for a console which was borderline neglected once the Pro was released (for example Assassin Creed Origin looks better & runs better on the base ps4 than Odyssey does).

Just give us powerful tech, let the prices drop year after year (as happened with the ps3) & build games based upon that shared hardware. That's all I ask for. I don't ask for a low spec console at a low price then expect to buy another upgraded console 3 years later just to play games properly.

I guess that's a no on the bet? So much for DF CREDIBILITY.

Wait, you're actually betting me that Xbox series X doesn't have true hardware ray tracing that is not at all the same as what's done with the 1080 Ti?

Editing the above to make it more clear where we disagree. Are you implying Xbox Series X does Ray Tracing more like how the 1080 Ti does it (mostly through software and GPU compute shader that is way less performant compared to a true hardware solution), and is not hardware accelerated in a true sense? If so, I'm betting on the opposite that xbox series x 110% has real hardware ray tracing capability.

I'm game. What's the bet? Let's really have some fun on this one. 😁

And not claiming insider etc, but anybody expecting the Xbox series x to be weaker than the PS5, or even to not be that much more capable in comparison to PS5 if the new Xbox does turn out to be stronger? That should be specific enough to get what I'm saying.

People who are certain that either of those two scenarios will be the outcome may be highly disappointed soon depending on how important it is to them. I'm just sitting back to enjoy the ride because I know I'll own both, but the more CLEARLY powerful of these two consoles is already decided I think.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

PS5 and Series X are supposed to compete with high end PC or at least close enough to it

If $500-$600 is what it takes to get there im ok with it

Switch are closer to mobile platform

Theyre heading into different trajectory at this point

my view as well. Switch is a portable with what amounts to an hdmi out. And since they have the whole dedicated portable market to themselves, it doesn’t matter what sony or ms do in 2020, Nintendo is On rock solid ground. Switch is gibraltar.

unfortunately, no real competition means N doesnt have to invest much in services, software, or hardware. Nor do they have to have competitive game pricing. Monopolies always suck for consumer, which is why i never got the celebrations when sony hh division died. Imagine a world where only phone you could buy was iphone. Even apple fans would have to admit that would shit.

although, what if lockhurt is actually a hybrid like switch, but 4TF & with the backing of trillion dollar MS?

demigod

Are we still allowed to bet games? I'll bet you a game that DF is wrong with that 9.2TF.
Wait, you're actually betting me that Xbox series X doesn't have true hardware ray tracing that is not at all the same as what's done with the 1080 Ti?

Editing the above to make it more clear where we disagree. Are you implying Xbox Series X does Ray Tracing more like how the 1080 Ti does it (mostly through software and GPU compute shader that is way less performant compared to a true hardware solution), and is not hardware accelerated in a true sense? If so, I'm betting on the opposite that xbox series x 110% has real hardware ray tracing capability.

I'm game. What's the bet? Let's really have some fun on this one. 😁

And not claiming insider etc, but anybody expecting the Xbox series x to be weaker than the PS5, or even to not be that much more capable in comparison to PS5 if the new Xbox does turn out to be stronger? That should be specific enough to get what I'm saying.

People who are certain that either of those two scenarios will be the outcome may be highly disappointed soon depending on how important it is to them. I'm just sitting back to enjoy the ride because I know I'll own both, but the more CLEARLY powerful of these two consoles is already decided I think.

Oh don't worry. I'm still around.

Just lurking in the background allowing people to say things they will regret later.

For now.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom