• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is very difficult for me to believe PS5 will only be 9.2 TF when Series X is 12 TF. I think PS5 is at least 11 TF.
I have a hard time believing that too.

Then again, Sony guns for sales, not highest spec systems which cost more. Only time in history a PS system had the most powerful system at the highest price (tied for Xbox One without Kinect) was 2013-2016 when PS4 OG was most powerful at $400.

And there was probably about a one year gap where PS2 was most powerful until Xbox OG and GC came out.

Last edited:
Well shit thats no fun for anyone. When I cheer my fav sports team I dont want them to only be 10% better than my opponent

:S

:messenger_tears_of_joy: And this is the part about the whole speculation phase of what these new consoles can do that we should own and not run away from. Even if you are going to own both, just one, or even if you are determined to own one regardless of if the other is better (which obviously clearly many here with their minds made up are prepared to do for a variety of reasons), we all in some fashion care which is stronger.

Do I care which is stronger between these two systems? Hell yes i do.

Will which is stronger determine which is likely to be my biggest priority to buy first? Nope. The games, especially what's coming at launch, the eco-system and services already decided that for me.

Do I have a preference of which I would like to be stronger? Again, hell yes I do, as do many others I'm sure. Even if people say they don't, you can tell by what they post that they have some preference one way or the other.

Do I want one to be so ridiculously outgunned that fans of the superior system crap on the system and fans of that system day in and day out for their own personal amusement? Nope, because that's not what gaming is all about. Both sides should enjoy where they choose to game without constantly being dumped on for it. That doesn't mean I won't watch the chaos, or even take my just lumps if I end up on the short end of the stick, knowing full well that there's nothing wrong with my gaming platform of preference. It's all just fun and videogames in the end.

So with all that said, winning is winning! ;)

3winning.jpg

ANIMAL1975

Then Tommy who has since disappeared had like a graph with a breakdown and had some numbers and plus and minus signs with PS5 being on top in most categories. Idk but even though he's ghost I got a feeling Tommy's info is going to turn out legit. Sony also seems to be doing some in house, engineering stuff for RT thtll be their secret sauce. Remember this is the same Sony tht had diff chip on PS4 to handle downloads, uploading, social features, etc.. I wouldn't put it past them. Thy innovated with shareplay now even pc has its version and Xbox had some really watered down mixer version few years ago.
Something definitely got Tommy mia since its last post with real figures.
I think it was SlimySnake SlimySnake that put him against the wall because he had L cache numbers mixed up, and since there he disappeared. What could have happened:
1. He retired in shame for fuckerup with the numbers and is crying in his bedroom watching us having all warz fun.
2. He was ninjad. Why? Because he was talking too much about the only thing that he (and CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture to by the way) said that could not share, or didn't had any information because it was on tight NDA _ memory and SSD secret sauce! And what was he all about (to be fair he and the all thread) in those days before his last post, and before the github leak? ReRam and HBM2 lol 😂
My take on the matter _ Sony ninjas spread different bs information through different possible sources and RIPs Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher friend... Real industrial world spy shit.
I posted this yesterday but seems no one give it much weight... think it can be something...

nRMpK7D.jpg
I think it was because people already had posted a tweet by Cory himself saying that would be attending CES and making a joke with robots or something.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Something definitely got Tommy mia since its last post with real figures.
I think it was SlimySnake SlimySnake that put him against the wall because he had L cache numbers mixed up, and since there he disappeared. What could have happened:
1. He retired in shame for fuckerup with the numbers and is crying in his bedroom watching us having all warz fun.
2. He was ninjad. Why? Because he was talking too much about the only thing that he (and CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture to by the way) said that could not share, or didn't had any information because it was on tight NDA _ memory and SSD secret sauce! And what was he all about (to be fair he and the all thread) in those days before his last post, and before the github leak? ReRam and HBM2 lol 😂
My take on the matter _ Sony ninjas spread different bs information through different possible sources and RIPs Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher friend... Real industrial world spy shit.

I think it was because people already had posted a tweet by Cory himself saying that would be attending CES and making a joke with robots or something.

My only thing with Tommy is tht he went to the mods and Mod of War said he wasn't verified not because he's full of shit but just bcus he wasn't willing to go all in on his sources and proving tht. So his info can Def turn out legit.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I have a hard time believing that too.

Then again, Sony guns for sales, not highest spec systems which cost more. Only time in history a PS system had the most powerful system at the highest price (tied for Xbox One without Kinect) was 2013-2016 when PS4 OG was most powerful at $400.

And there was probably about a one year gap where PS2 was most powerful until Xbox OG and GC came out.
PS4 was cheaper than Xbone at launch........

How dare that evil arrogant anti-consumer Phony do that...

Hey, I'm just glad we all agree that people actually desire to play older games now. There was a time when people said nobody used Xbox One BC. And Sony getting BC more equal to Xbox would be INSANE with their lineup. Shadow Hearts Covenant... :D

Speaking of which, how in god's name hasn't sony done a next gen Syphon Filter yet!? That is a gold mine. The first game was unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

ethomaz

Banned
Hey, I'm just glad we all agree that people actually desire to play older games now. There was a time when people said nobody used Xbox One BC. And Sony getting BC more equal to Xbox would be INSANE with their lineup. Shadow Hearts Covenant... :D
I do believe BC is a waste of resource... you can use that money to make new games... that is what really matter for new consoles.

And BC won’t influence who wins a generation or sells more... it is a option feature with without weight in consumer decisions.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Speaking of which, how in god's name hasn't sony done a next gen Syphon Filter yet!? That is a gold mine. The first game was unbelievable.

I'm glad most of us agreed it wasn't a major selling point for most and tht Sony has had bc in almost every console except ps4. Ps4 didn't have bc yet sold how many?

I don't think anyone ever said more features or options aren't always good.

I do believe BC is a waste of resource... you can use that money to make new games... that is what really matter for new consoles.

And BC won’t influence who wins a generation or sells more... it is a option feature with without weight in consumer decisions.

Couldn't disagree more. It matters, and it matters a ton. Just because people buy new consoles to play the big and best new games, knowing that you can still play an amazing older classic when you want to, and possibly better than it was before, is important. It further adds value to that amazing new system you just bought if you know you can still play the older stuff. Take for example the recent excitement over witcher 3 as a result of the netflix show. Say we moved on quite some time ago from that, and were further away from the current gen of its release, isn't it nice to know you can play Witcher 3 again on your PS5 and Xbox Series X with potential enhancements?

It's never a waste of resources if you can afford to do it. It never takes priority over the new stuff, but it is still important to add value to new purchases going forward. Who wants to leave all their PS4 games behind when going to PS5? It matters. If you suddenly get the urge to want to replay Horizon Zero Dawn before the sequel 2021 (guess) you wouldn't like to play the game on your PS5 at an equal or higher resolution and double the framerate?

I'm glad most of us agreed it wasn't a major selling point for most and tht Sony has had bc in almost every console except ps4. Ps4 didn't have bc yet sold how many?

I don't think anyone ever said more features or options aren't always good.

You can't tell me you wouldn't have found greater value in your PS4 knowing that major collections of big playstation 1, 2 and 3 titles worked with enhancements. Come on. Even if it wouldn't have sold more playstation 4s (and I believe it would have) it would have undoubtedly increased the value of each and every PS4 to those owners. it certainly wouldn't have done the opposite.

Even now, everybody on this forum wants PS4 games to work on PS5. Tell me that isn't the case. Everybody here would be okay with PS5 having zero support for all the PS4 games they now own? I don't really believe there is one person who would say they are okay with that. Would people be willing to accept it? I guess yes, but would they be happy and celebrate that decision?" I really don't think so.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy: And this is the part about the whole speculation phase of what these new consoles can do that we should own and not run away from. Even if you are going to own both, just one, or even if you are determined to own one regardless of if the other is better (which obviously clearly many here with their minds made up are prepared to do for a variety of reasons), we all in some fashion care which is stronger.

Do I care which is stronger between these two systems? Hell yes i do.

Will which is stronger determine which is likely to be my biggest priority to buy first? Nope. The games, especially what's coming at launch, the eco-system and services already decided that for me.

Do I have a preference of which I would like to be stronger? Again, hell yes I do, as do many others I'm sure. Even if people say they don't, you can tell by what they post that they have some preference one way or the other.

Do I want one to be so ridiculously outgunned that fans of the superior system crap on the system and fans of that system day in and day out for their own personal amusement? Nope, because that's not what gaming is all about. Both sides should enjoy where they choose to game without constantly being dumped on for it. That doesn't mean I won't watch the chaos, or even take my just lumps if I end up on the short end of the stick, knowing full well that there's nothing wrong with my gaming platform of preference. It's all just fun and videogames in the end.

So with all that said, winning is winning! ;)

3winning.jpg
I honestly don't care which one is stronger. What I do care about is both being past 12tf. I even voted 14tf, but at least 12tf would do me good. I want them both powerful and both have great exclusives I can play, because that's what gives systems value.

Of course in addition to full BC with their entire library would be super. Not only that, but have nice tech baked in to make BC games look great, like AA, increased res etc.

Plus I like to see what new tech they introduce, like VR for example.

One thing I don't like is seeing certain people say they're neutral when they clearly aren't, and celebrate like mad when their system comes on top, and celebrate even more that the competition is less powerful and shit on it and its fans at every opportunity and keep rubbing it in their faces.

Just remember and always keep in mind that competition is good for us. If your fav company had no competition, we'd hardly see any advancements because no one is pushing them to.

It's also always nice to explore what the other one has that you don't. That's how I am in general in real life. I like exploring other cultures and discovering new things. Things I never thought existed. So I have that same passion of exploration and discovery with everything*.

*Except sexual preference thanks

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I honestly don't care which one is stronger. What I do care about is both being past 12tf. I even voted 14tf, but at least 12tf would do me good. I want them both powerful and both have great exclusives I can play, because that's what gives systems value.

Of course in addition to full BC with their entire library would be super. Not only that, but have nice tech baked in to make BC games look great, like AA, increased res etc.

Plus I like to see what new tech they introduce, like VR for example.

One thing I don't like is seeing certain people say they're neutral when they clearly aren't, and celebrate like mad when their system comes on top, and celebrate even more that the competition is less powerful and shit on it and its fans at every opportunity and keep rubbing it in their faces.

Just remember and always keep in mind that competition is good for us. If your fav company had no competition, we'd hardly see any advancements because no one is pushing them to.

It's also always nice to explore what the other one has that you don't. That's how I am in general in real life. I like exploring other cultures and discovering new things. Things I never thought existed. So I have that same passion of exploration and discovery with everything*.

*Except sexual preference thanks

I don't care which one is more powerful either as long as its as close as I THINK it will be.

If its 10% or so then the Digital Foundry videos will be zoomed in and literally counting grass blades who has the most, that I can live with.

I am a Sony fan first and foremost as I love their exclusives so I hope I am not surprised and there be this massive power gulf between them and in every DF video Sony gets their asses handed to them.

TBiddy

So the "Playstation 5" is at 18 and "Xbox Series X" is at 11. Seems OK for Microsoft, considering it covers the entire world. Also funny - if you add Xbox and Playstation to the mix, it looks a lot different:

Going by your logic, Microsoft should be calm and Sony should be worried.. :)

vivftp

Are any of the insiders willing to talk about the video HipHopGamer put out about PS5 BC? Either a yay if you've heard anything like that happening, or a nay if you're pretty certain it isn't :)

Reactions: TLZ
Lets establish some positives that both consoles will have which is game changing, regardless of which one will be better from a tech spec standpoint:

-Fundamental changes to the microarchitecture of the CPU and GPU
-WiFi6
-SSD for virtual RAM, no loading screens
-100GB 4K Ultra-Blu Ray Disk Drive
-HDMI 2.1 Variable Refresh Rate Freesync 2
-Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing (probably software implementation too)
-Update to its OS UI
-Overall better balanced consoles from its predecessors.
-Backwards compatibility
-Better and easier development of games

The past consoles have been stepping stones to what will be brought forth this year. 2020 is going to be wonderful for gaming!

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Are any of the insiders willing to talk about the video HipHopGamer put out about PS5 BC? Either a yay if you've heard anything like that happening, or a nay if you're pretty certain it isn't :)

Not an insider but hiphopgamer isn't the first one to talk about Sony's massive bc push. Tht rumor has been floating around through leaks for months.

Mass Shift

What if MS releases "Lockhart" later as well, since they sure aren't talking about it like they are with series X? :pie_thinking:

Phil's last comment was to pretend it did not exist and claim "consoles" was for SAD and Scarlet. Or at least eluded to with some ambiguity.

If they release it later then it would mean that Series X will be priced far more competitively than it would be without Lockhart.

Releasing it later also means that it's not what we think it is as a entry level platform. Might even mobile.

Fushitsusha

Banned
-WiFi6
-100GB Ultra-Blu Ray Disk Drive
-Update to its OS UI
-Backwards compatibility
Please SONY grant us Vita 2 with that Wi-Fi 6 for remote play.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It is 'pack-rat/hoarder' feature for most. Backlogs are far more real vs. anyone having time to play thousands of titles across all the generations.

It is nice to have, no doubt, makes you feel your purchases last till the end of your time (especially for digital). I won't complain if it is added, and it will make the transition easier for day 1 adoption, but I also will not let it impact my buying decision into a new gen.

ethomaz

Banned
It is 'pack-rat/hoarder' feature for most. Backlogs are far more real vs. anyone having time to play thousands of titles across all the generations.

It is nice to have, no doubt, makes you feel your purchases last till the end of your time (especially for digital). I won't complain if it is added, and it will make the transition easier for day 1 adoption, but I also will not let it impact my buying decision into a new gen.
Yeap I’m not against for these that want an option but I have a bit fear of to make BC happens some games are not getting the enough money but we will never know.

While it is a nice option I don’t see it being crucial to sells more consoles.

BC become a big “talk” because MS had nothing else to marketing Xbox One... if they have more games I don’t believe they were wasting talk with BC :D

I can’t even keep trackwith new releases how I will play old ones? I just give up on old and more full new games ;)

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Lets establish some positives that both consoles will have which is game changing, regardless of which one will be better from a tech spec standpoint:

-WiFi6
-100GB Ultra-Blu Ray Disk Drive
-Update to its OS UI
-Backwards compatibility

The past consoles have been stepping stones to what will be brought forth this year. 2020 is going to be wonderful for gaming!

Disc media based storage might not make it to the end of the next generation, but it's still alive for now.

vivftp

Not an insider but hiphopgamer isn't the first one to talk about Sony's massive bc push. Tht rumor has been floating around through leaks for months.

I know, I've been hoping for an implementation like he describes for the longest time. I know we've got patents, a sorta vague statement by Patrick Klepek, and some rumors about the PS5 release date being shifted from 2019 to 2020 back in 2017 with BC being one of the reasons why. Plus that odd statement by a Sony exec recently saying they're working hard to achieve a "complete compatibility" which is a pretty odd way to phrase things. Plus a few other small mentions here and there.

HipHopGamer, to my knowledge is the first to outright come out and claim this is going to happen according to sources he's talked to and give some specifics. Worst case scenario we'll have to wait until the reveal event to see if Sony talks about it, but if an insider wants to chime in then by all means ;)

I don't know about anyone else, but the PS5 being able to play PS4 (+Pro) games from day 1 means that I'll be buying it sooner rather than later.

If PS5 was a completely new system that couldn't play my PS4 games, it would be 12 - 18 months after launch until I bothered with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom