• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Yes it did, but he also threw shade at Microsoft before launching The Witness on PS4 first by implying that he had "mildly unpleasant experiences" with them.

was it their update policies? same thing the rampage city guy was butthurt over...talk about biting the hand that feeds them.

Reindeer

was it their update policies? same thing the rampage city guy was butthurt over...talk about biting the hand that feeds them.
He also implied that some of his friends had "massively negative experiences" with Microsoft. What he was talking about is not known, but it could be something to do with XBLA like you said.

TeamGhobad

Banned
WTF!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!

W9VFjnO.png

G68XT6I.png

YOcebBK.png

WTF!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!
nX1zjsJ.png

Last edited:

I recall he was a bit pissed off at Xbox One only having 5gbs out of 8gbs of ram for games because the OS and snap modes took 3gbs of ram.

It was later revealed that ps4 wouldnt have much more free ram available (I believe it was 5,5gb and I believe at first it only had 5gbs just like the Xone) but he didnt comment on it.

He looks a bit biased towards Sony but I believe theres more to it than what I comment here

BTW Hapoy New Year everybody!

Last edited:

Mass Shift

It seems RDNA2 cards were not ready back when the SoCs were being engineered and MS and Sony had the create their own HW RT and ducktape it to RDNA 1.0 GPUs. Sad News.

We could be missing one possibility. Neither MS or Sony are going with AMD off-the-shelf RT. Their solutions could be unique to their platforms. I for one don't find it hard to see MS co-engineering DXR based Cores for their RT.

TeamGhobad

Banned
We could be missing one possibility. Neither MS or Sony are going with AMD off-the-shelf RT. Their solutions could be unique to their platforms. I for one don't find it hard to see MS co-engineering DXR based Cores for their RT.

but still missing the IPC uplift...

Sophist

xbox may target 3840×2160@25fps while sony may target 2560×1440@60fps. 2560×1440 is the current middle-range of monitors while 3840×2160 will remain high-end for the next two or three years.

On the serious note, I think we'll get graphics that will look somewhat better than what Nvidia showed in that Infiltrator demo a while back. Games like Ghost of Tshushima, Last of Us 2 and FF7 are really pushing outdated hardware from 7 years ago to levels I never thought were possible, can only imagine what the top devs will do with new consoles.
No way we get near that infiltrators UE4 demo. Come back when we are at 50tflops and rull Ray tracing.

pawel86ck

Banned
It seems RDNA2 cards were not ready back when the SoCs were being engineered and MS and Sony had the create their own HW RT and ducktape it to RDNA 1.0 GPUs. Sad News.

Why people should believe some insider, when Phil Spencer himself has said XSX is using next gen RDNA. If you look at AMD chart, next gen RDNA is a new architecture that will use HW RT. First gen Navi is just refered as RDNA.

eEjdFtf.jpg

Phil Spencer must know the difference between RDNA and next gen RDNA

Last edited:
Guys why do you think upto now 2 developers are speaking against xsx ? First it was randy pitchford who was not impressed then yesterday jonathan blow is implying he is not impressed by it . Then we have plethora of devs talk positive abour ps5 and ssd and dont make single mention of xsx.

Whats happening ? What are we missing ? Are they pissed off about lockhart?
Blow hates MS, and I doubt he is even going to bring his next game out on Xbox. Anyway, even if both consoles came out with threadripper CPUs, 32 gig RAM and 20tflop GPUs, his games would still look they could be done on a Sega Saturn.
And Pitchfork wasnt saying anything about the Xbox.

Reindeer

No way we get near that infiltrators UE4 demo. Come back when we are at 50tflops and rull Ray tracing.
50 Tflops? With that kind of power we'll be running photorealistic graphics, which the Infiltrator is some ways of. 1080TI gets over 80FPS on that demo at 1440p. Have a look at FF7 leaked Demo and what is possible on PS4 and then tell me we can't run those graphics with around 7-8X more power.

Last edited:
50 Tflops? With that kind of power we'll be running photorealistic graphics, which the Infiltrator is some ways of. 1080TI gets over 80FPS on that demo at 1440p. Have a look at FF7 leaked Demo and what is possible on PS4 and then tell me we can't run those graphics with around 7-8X more power.

Wait until it's playable and needs full AI, and on the fly rendering. It isnt just making the polygon frame and putting pretty textures that take up power.

Why people should believe some insider, when Phil Spencer himself has said XSX is using next gen RDNA. If you look at AMD chart, next gen RDNA is a new architecture that will use HW RT. First gen Navi is just refered as RDNA.

eEjdFtf.jpg

I think they will use parts of RDNA 2 such as Ray tracing and VRS, but not all the features. For instance neither will be on the 7nm+, which RDNA 2 is on.
Sony and MS GPUs are most likely RDNA 1.5.

Reindeer

Wait until it's playable and needs full AI, and on the fly rendering. It isnt just making the polygon frame and putting pretty textures that take up power.
I get that, but I'm really seeing nothing there can't be done. Hellblade 2 looks on par with Infiltrator and in some ways better and that's in engine and target for the game.

Last edited:

TBiddy

You know what I'm really excited about? How the PS5 looks. The XSX is a radical step away from how consoles have looked and it's looking like that only because of thermals (most likely). The PS5 will have the same issues with thermals and thus Sony must come up with just as an intriguing hardware design.

I'm most likely gonna stay in the MS ecosystem, but I'm still very interested in seeing how similar or different the designs of the consoles will be.

Aceofspades

Banned
You know what I'm really excited about? How the PS5 looks. The XSX is a radical step away from how consoles have looked and it's looking like that only because of thermals (most likely). The PS5 will have the same issues with thermals and thus Sony must come up with just as an intriguing hardware design.

I'm most likely gonna stay in the MS ecosystem, but I'm still very interested in seeing how similar or different the designs of the consoles will be.

What MS has done is simply safe and Lazy design. There are gaming laptops that packs more grunt while being slim and quiet. I fucking laugh everytime someone say that XsX cannot be designed other way because of its power 🤣

Marlenus

I think they will use parts of RDNA 2 such as Ray tracing and VRS, but not all the features. For instance neither will be on the 7nm+, which RDNA 2 is on.
Sony and MS GPUs are most likely RDNA 1.5.

N7+ is the most likely node since AMD are building next gen rDNA and zen3 on it. They already have experience with the libraries so it makes sense for Sony and MS to leverage that experience and have their SoCs designed for that node.

It is not like AMD have an off the shelf product already designed for N7 and n7p that MS and Sony could scale up to their needs as Renoir as zen2 + Vega.

The extra density and power savings of N7+ would also be appealling to the console makers.

TBiddy

What MS has done is simply safe and Lazy design. There are gaming laptops that packs more grunt while being slim and quiet. I fucking laugh everytime someone say that XsX cannot be designed other way because of its power 🤣

Please do tell - how much experience do you have designing hardware? Which gaming laptops are both more powerful and just as quiet the XB1X, under full load?

thelastword

Banned
All doable on pc right now (excluding PS4 obviously) so I see no reason why this won't be the case.

Wish I had kept some more discs.

Hopefully games brought from the store for PS3 will be available for download, that would be awesome.
The way they will make money is to put lots of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the store digitally...…...They already have lots of PS1 games and some PS2 games, they just have to increase those numbers...….PS3 did have some games which are not available digitally, so they have to work on that as well......Folklore, GT6 is off the digital store and quite a few titles....

The patents for introducing trophies,new textures etc are plausible.....It's been said that's how the parappa remaster works.....

Aceofspades

Banned
Please do tell - how much experience do you have designing hardware? Which gaming laptops are both more powerful and just as quiet the XB1X, under full load?

Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701

CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 – GeForce GTX 2080 Max-Q (8GB GDDR6 VRAM) | RAM: 8GB – 24GB | Screen: 17.3-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) 144Hz panel with G-Sync

this is one of tens of laptops I found.

another one which is even more powerful than the last:

Alienware Area-51m

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 – i9-9900K | Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 – 2080 | RAM: 16GB – 64GB | Screen: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS – 144Hz IPS NVIDIA G-SYNC | Storage: 1TB SSHD – 2TB RAID0 SSDs + 1TB SSHD

Last edited:

-kb-

Just because its not RDNA2 does not mean its not using the raytracing from RDNA2. In the GitHub leaks the block names for the raytracing in Arden match the AMD raytracing patent so i fairly confident (but not 100%) that its either using the raytracing from RDNA2 or a precursor.

Reindeer

Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701

CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 – GeForce GTX 2080 Max-Q (8GB GDDR6 VRAM) | RAM: 8GB – 24GB | Screen: 17.3-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) 144Hz panel with G-Sync

this is one of tens of laptops I found.

another one which is even more powerful than the last:

Alienware Area-51m

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 – i9-9900K | Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 – 2080 | RAM: 16GB – 64GB | Screen: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS – 144Hz IPS NVIDIA G-SYNC | Storage: 1TB SSHD – 2TB RAID0 SSDs + 1TB SSHD
How much are those laptops again? 😃

TeamGhobad

Banned

he said nexgen rdna not nexgen OF rdna. there is a difference.

Reindeer

Doesn't matter, my point was that Xbox can easily be smaller and even quiter. Are you telling me that those Laptops costing that much simply because of its cooling? A similar PC specced tower would cost around the same, so my point still stands
I know 😃, but since we are talking about laptops the price isn't exactly irrelevant.

N7+ is the most likely node since AMD are building next gen rDNA and zen3 on it. They already have experience with the libraries so it makes sense for Sony and MS to leverage that experience and have their SoCs designed for that node.

It is not like AMD have an off the shelf product already designed for N7 and n7p that MS and Sony could scale up to their needs as Renoir as zen2 + Vega.

The extra density and power savings of N7+ would also be appealling to the console makers.
I'm sure they would like to use it, but I don't think they. They will move to it on their revision models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom