• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamGhobad

Banned
ps5-logo-branding.jpg

In reply to demigod

Ohh, you're betting me on the 9.2? Okay, I'm NOT taking that bet lol because I don't expect Sony to be at 9.2. I knew about sony being 9.2TF way before the AMD leaks and texted and dm'ed people proof of that fact. Someone I dm'd about it even posts on here. I said exactly that number along with other information I was told. I was 100% certain about the source and knew it had to be true which is why i confidently told who i did. That said, I was also told that sony will aim to be as close to 11 as possible. I was told things far beyond that, but that's as far as I'm willing to say publicly, so I can see privately how all else I was told played out.

If it turns out that everything said was legit, I'll publish proof of all I got with time stamps to verify that it isn't something I just came up with after the fact. I don't believe DF is saying it's 9.2 either, but I firmly believe that DF heard that number from credible enough sources to actually run with the story once they saw a leak from AMD that was backing up the same information. I don't think that article is DF saying "The PS5 is only 9.2TF" I think they're saying "This information looks pretty legit, we've independently confirmed this, and the reasons to credibly doubt the information shown, strikes us fairly thin."

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
In reply to demigod

Ohh, you're betting me on the 9.2? Okay, I'm NOT taking that bet lol because I don't expect Sony to be at 9.2. I knew about sony being 9.2TF way before the AMD leaks and texted and dm'ed people proof of that fact. Someone I dm'd about it even posts on here. I said exactly that number along with other information I was told. I was 100% certain about the source and knew it had to be true which is why i confidently told who i did. That said, I was also told that sony will aim to be as close to 11 as possible. I was told things far beyond that, but that's as far as I'm willing to say publicly, so I can see privately how all else I was told played out.

If it turns out that everything said was legit, I'll publish proof of all I got with time stamps to verify that it isn't something I just came up with after the fact. I don't believe DF is saying it's 9.2 either, but I firmly believe that DF heard that number from credible enough sources to actually run with the story once they saw a leak from AMD that was backing up the same information. I don't think that article is DF saying "The PS5 is only 9.2TF" I think they're saying "This information looks pretty legit, we've independently confirmed this, and the reasons to credibly doubt the information shown, strikes us fairly thin."

so what is the ps5? ballpark figure? how many CU's?

I'm literally the only person on the planet (I think) who wasn't bothered by Sony's "$599" PS3 back in 2006. I never understand how or why console gamers live in a bubble where literal bargain basement console prices are expected... whilst single games can cost upwards of $60 when new. I mean $599 for a TV in current year tech market is considered "mid-range", yet apparently consoles need to be dirt cheap "or else the manufacturer is doomed".

I would have happily signed-up for a $599 (599 euros here) higher spec PS4 if it meant no Pro model & games with consistent fps + resolution for the duration of the gen. This past gen was quite frankly borderline disgraceful, i.e. we pay $399 in 2013 for a console which was borderline neglected once the Pro was released (for example Assassin Creed Origin looks better & runs better on the base ps4 than Odyssey does).

Just give us powerful tech, let the prices drop year after year (as happened with the ps3) & build games based upon that shared hardware. That's all I ask for. I don't ask for a low spec console at a low price then expect to buy another upgraded console 3 years later just to play games properly.
PS3 nearly vanished the entire PS1 and PS2 profit.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Its close enough power wise that honestly they may very well be right.

I mainly am saying the systems being within 10% ish of each other we all win.

Just my 2 cents
Well shit thats no fun for anyone. When I cheer my fav sports team I dont want them to only be 10% better than my opponent

:S

Gamernyc78

Banned

Just my 2 cents

I think those boxes being so close say like a 12tf to say 12.5/13tf machine would be great. Really if numbers are close like tht no one should be giving a fuck about a power advantage. I'm invested in it only bcus most leaks have had ps5 with the advantage and ppl are basically saying "oh thts bs those leaks don't count" lol so now I want it to be true.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I keep reading from various boards and sites that Lockheart at 300$ will be a problem for Sony because people won't be willing to fork out 400-500$ for a PS5 console.

I never understood this mindset.

You buy a console which you intend to use for 7 years, more or less. Are people really willing to not buy the console they want because they couldn't afford 200 bucks (which is 2-4 AAA games)? It's not like you give this money and 6 months later you have to buy another console. This is a decision that sticks with you for 7 years. And taking under consideration the money you intend to spend on games (which could be 50-200 dollars a month), you do not invest in the console you want because you can't afford to spend 200 bucks more?

If 500 dollars / euro for a purchase / investment lasting 7 years is too much for you … maybe you're in the wrong hobby.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Doble digit tfs was about both consoles being above the 10tf figure.
And if I'm not mistaken it was OsirisBlack that said better RT solution, don't remember Klee claiming that.

Then Tommy who has since disappeared had like a graph with a breakdown and had some numbers and plus and minus signs with PS5 being on top in most categories. Idk but even though he's ghost I got a feeling Tommy's info is going to turn out legit. Sony also seems to be doing some in house, engineering stuff for RT thtll be their secret sauce. Remember this is the same Sony tht had diff chip on PS4 to handle downloads, uploading, social features, etc.. I wouldn't put it past them. Thy innovated with shareplay now even pc has its version and Xbox had some really watered down mixer version few years ago.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I keep reading from various boards and sites that Lockheart at 300$ will be a problem for Sony because people won't be willing to fork out 400-500$ for a PS5 console.

You buy a console which you intend to use for 7 years, more or less. Are people really willing to not buy the console they want because they couldn't afford 200 bucks (which is 2-4 AAA games)? It's not like you give this money and 6 months later you have to buy another console. This is a decision that sticks with you for 7 years. And taking under consideration the money you intend to spend on games (which could be 50-200 dollars a month), you do not invest in the console you want because you can't afford to spend 200 bucks more?

If 500 dollars / euro for a purchase / investment lasting 7 years is too much for you … maybe you're in the wrong hobby.

A lower cost device is always going to entice the average consumer. If its a hobby that they aren't super invested in or only are into it casually, the cheapest entry point is always what they look at first.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Ppl paid 600 for ps3 and it outsold world wide every month what was perceptual a the better console upon its release. This ps5 will be around 500 ppl, will buy it no problems and it'll dominate in sales. Price plays a big part but ppl are married into the Sony ecosystem for many different reasons.

DJ12

Just my 2 cents
That's fair enough. As long as ps5 isn't massively weaker I don't really care. Game pass for pc has rendered Xbox consoles dead to me anyway.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just my opinion here this is not MS controlled PR talk but how Mike really feels.

And I would think with his current position he would have access to both devkits but I am just guessing :)

And there's nothing wrong with his comment, he's definitely not saying one is better than the other. If asked I'm sure he'd make a similar comment about PS5. Thy can both make the best hardware thy can, given their budgets and vision for developers and both can claim tht if it turns out true.

Marlenus

all dox show it is.

They also say it is 36 CUs @2GHz which simply is not happening unless a lot of work has been done to make it clock higher but it would probably still be cheaper to just go bigger at lower clocks.

2GHz is desktop levels of clocks if you are looking at making a 300W tdp discreet GPU. It is not something to use in a console.

Nickolaidas

A lower cost device is always going to entice the average consumer. If its a hobby that they aren't super invested in or only are into it casually, the cheapest entry point is always what they look at first.
Another scenario I admit I didn't think of is the parent who wants to buy a console for his/her/they/xorn young child and just see it as a toy. If the parent can buy said console with 200-300 bucks instead of forking over 600 bucks, then yeah, makes sense.

vpance

Even if it is a problem Sony can just release their own cut down PS5 a little later. Both companies have access to the same tech. And Sony will have the benefit of seeing how well the public takes to it before jumping in with a risky 2 SKU strategy.

If there really is an untapped market of casuals looking to buy a cut down $299 next gen console at launch then there will be plenty of customers to go around.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Another scenario I admit I didn't think of is the parent who wants to buy a console for his/her/they/xorn young child and just see it as a toy. If the parent can buy said console with 200-300 bucks instead of forking over 600 bucks, then yeah, makes sense.

Tht can happen but if kids are anything like mine and his friends (all 12 year Olds) those kids do not want any console, thy want what thy ask for. My son has Xbox, switch and PS4 and he only games on his ps4. If I had bought him only an Xbox or switch and not a PS4 all hell would have broken out lol mindshare is very real. No trolling but he's constantly talking to his friends on group chat and saying stuff like "Xbox is trash" It's an experience thing but also a me tal one. Price🤔he's not buying it so he doesn't care lol. The parents msy but most parents try to make the kids happy especially during Christmas.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Even if it is a problem Sony can just release their own cut down PS5 a little later. Both companies have access to the same tech. And Sony will have the benefit of seeing how well the public takes to it before jumping in with a risky 2 SKU strategy.

If there really is an untapped market of casuals looking to buy a cut down $299 next gen console at launch then there will be plenty of customers to go around.

What if MS releases "Lockhart" later as well, since they sure aren't talking about it like they are with series X? :pie_thinking:

Phil's last comment was to pretend it did not exist and claim "consoles" was for SAD and Scarlet. Or at least eluded to with some ambiguity.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
What if MS releases "Lockhart" later as well, since they sure aren't talking about it like they are with series X? :pie_thinking:

Phil's last comment was to pretend it did not exist and claim "consoles" was for SAD and Scarlet. Or at least eluded to with some ambiguity.

And thts fine, I think it'll be gd saleswise for xbox but tht won't affect ps5 sales. Ppl are locked in with Sony for many diff reasons. Thy are sure to bring out a hardware thts good, has some innovation and has evolved at a good price. Shit some ppl will even jump in when the new psvr is shown. Thy both can do good in sales. My household has all three consoles.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It's video games.

Probably the only industry in the world where prices can't go up without extreme blowback.

Everything else from bags of cookies to cell phones to cars can go up in price and nobody cares. Yet a console maker wants to increase a system $100-200 so it can have better specs, a console will give a gamer a solid 5-6 years of gaming until the next system comes out, yet when you do the math the big uproar is due to $20-40/yr for 5 years.

A big protest.

Then, on the weekend, the same person will go out buy a pizza and a case of beer. There goes the extra money that could have been set aside for a better game system.

Google says a Honda Civic in 1995 was about $10-12k US. A 2019 model is about $20k. So Honda's shittiest level car has rose about $8-10k in 25 years. Around double the price. And nobody cares.

Game consoles were $300 in the mid 90s, inched up to $400 in recent gens. And now is talk of PS5/Series X being $500.

And some gamers really want the system to go back to $400.

Last edited:

vpance

The longer they wait to release it the less of an effect it'll have at trying to disrupt Sony's selling power. Console allegiance for the leader will snowball and gets stronger as the gen moves on so MS should want to release it at launch to slow them down.

Maybe though MS will wait until the last second to give the green light on Lockhart, which is probably just after Sony does their reveal, and MS has some idea of the pre-orders for XSX.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The longer they wait to release it the less of an effect it'll have at trying to disrupt Sony's selling power. Console allegiance for the leader will snowball and gets stronger as the gen moves on so MS should want to release it at launch to slow them down.

Maybe though MS will wait until the last second to give the green light on Lockhart, which is probably just after Sony does their reveal, and MS has some idea of the pre-orders for XSX.

Sounds like a huge waste of R&D with this approach, depending on the outcome of green lighting or not.

NickFire

Sounds like a huge waste of R&D with this approach, depending on the outcome of green lighting or not.
I am convinced it launches day 1, but that MS just doesn't plan to talk about it yet because it wants the public discourse to settle on Series X being more powerful than PS5.

And I kind of get why that is (even though I want the dirt yesterday). What value is really there in announcing it now? IMO, none for MS really. The people most invested in talking about next gen most likely will just shit on it over the gpu, so why take a premature swipe at the casuals who aren't paying much attention yet anyway. And if they plan to pull a Sony by dropping a price lower than expected, what better place than E3 when the MSM media is there?

Gamernyc78

Banned
So now that are we pretty sure 9.2tflops for PS5 at 399$ is BS , Jim Ryan saying we'll see a fast pace for transition from PS4 to PS5 would be because of the full BC.....?

I'll crack the code Jim , soon I will !!!!
anigif_enhanced-14863-1419142486-2.gif

I said tht as soon as as tht comment was made. It's in relation to the full bc between games and even psvr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom