• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Blow hates MS, and I doubt he is even going to bring his next game out on Xbox. Anyway, even if both consoles came out with threadripper CPUs, 32 gig RAM and 20tflop GPUs, his games would still look they could be done on a Sega Saturn.
And Pitchfork wasnt saying anything about the Xbox.

he probably doesn't like XSX because it uses too much power and its bad for the environment...yep this is how soyboys think. somebody should tell him that the witness ran in 20fps on xbox one (origina).

-kb-

The most interesting is this statement but he deleted it
PHlSSqE.png

Differences and secret sauce are pretty typical for consoles they usually don't amount to too much.

Ar¢tos

What MS has done is simply safe and Lazy design. There are gaming laptops that packs more grunt while being slim and quiet. I fucking laugh everytime someone say that XsX cannot be designed other way because of its power 🤣
It's a simple basic design that works. Can be placed anywhere in a house division without being ugly, but it's not flashy either.
Some people like to show off their tech and this design might not be for them.
Sony might do a crazy flashy looking console, but I expect another basic black box.

Evilms

Banned
It seems RDNA2 cards were not ready back when the SoCs were being engineered and MS and Sony had the create their own HW RT and ducktape it to RDNA 1.0 GPUs. Sad News.

But the xbox fanboys told us that ''next generation RDNA architecture'' means ''RDNA 2'' 100% !

I don't understand anything anymore.

TeamGhobad

Banned
But the xbox fanboys told us that ''next generation RDNA architecture'' means ''RDNA 2'' 100% !

I don't understand anything anymore.

Next generation is RNDA it not Next generation OF RDNA...see the difference.

hmqqq is a xbox fanboy, dont listen to this prick

is that why he broke our hearts with no RDNA 2.0?

I don't have to, I proved that XsX is just a brick slapped together in a very safe and lazy manner. It can be way smaller if MS wanted or could.

you're a better poster than this

Last edited:
LOL, I hope that it's understood that everything associated with these boxes is designed to be as good as it can be @ price X. Comparing these to technology priced significantly higher that run in much lower power envelopes and are not as powerful, yikes!

In regards to the dev talk, the only negativity towards X is from devs that clearly have a Sony bias. The whole all Xbox SX games are playable on Xbone thing is just a case of poor reading comprehension. Though, I do expect Xcloud to be ready and available across the entire ecosystem prior to launch of next gen, which will, of course, bring the entire generation to that platform as well. There will be some cross-gen at the start, but don't expect it to continue.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think they will use parts of RDNA 2 such as Ray tracing and VRS, but not all the features. For instance neither will be on the 7nm+, which RDNA 2 is on.
Sony and MS GPUs are most likely RDNA 1.5.
7nm+ is just the process they are manufactured on that is not a feature. If Sony and MS are using the new TMUs with the intersection and traversal engine and tweaked CUs to schedule the RT calls plus VRS they are RDNA2 or next generation Rdna just custom versions to meet their needs. To say otherwise would be just semantics. What else would there be from Rdna2 they are missing that is fundamental? They will have had all the building blocks to make a custom rdna2/next generation rdna available to them just on different manufacturing process. Not like the next generation rdna2 was way out in the future they will be out 6 months before launch of the consoles.

We don't know specifically what features create the IPC gains and whether or not those are a part of MS and Sony's silicone. It isn't like AMD takes a magic wand and says "let there be greater IPC".

vpance

It seems RDNA2 cards were not ready back when the SoCs were being engineered and MS and Sony had the create their own HW RT and ducktape it to RDNA 1.0 GPUs. Sad News.

Maybe so for MS, but let's wait and see for Sony.

As we know from Osiris, MS is already capable of producing retail ready units. Going 7nm RDNA might let them get a better timeline and yield on chips. Have to remember they're making 2 SKUs.

ANIMAL1975

All in good time.
I had a dream..
I have the latest devkits.

157774665452641186825szjhg.jpg
^
^
^

I think you have been played...
Very wild speculation here, but what if those two are in the PS5 running at different speeds? Didn't we have two in the Pro iirc? So one is 36CU @2ghz (9.2tf), while the other 36CU @0.9ghz (4.1tf) for BC. Can this a possibility? That would bring the total to 13.3tf. Maybe this is why we have a V shape?

Just throwing ideas out there.

pawel86ck

Banned
Next generation is RNDA it not Next generation OF RDNA...
Not according to AMD chart. They have wrote clear distinction: RDNA is shader based RT, while next gen RDNA is HW RT.

Now look what Phil Has said:
Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.

Phil Spencer always say Xbox Scarlett is "next gen RDNA", not just RDNA.

Reindeer

Not according to AMD chart. They have wrote clear distinction: RDNA is shader based RT, while next gen RDNA is HW RT.

Now look what Phil Has said:

Phil Spencer always say Xbox Scarlett is "next gen RDNA", not just RDNA.
Or you could interpret that as RDNA being next generation in comparison to current architecture.

Evilms

Banned
That tweet is in reference to the fake Navi12 ID, which is not related to PS5 at all. Also, Komachi rarely talks about consoles, though. And, Komachi and ro generally talk about pc leaks for the most part.

Console or not, Eurogamer's recent article by Digital Foundry was based on this same leak.

And 9.2 Tflops contradicts the claims of jason schreier, klee and other insiders.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Anyone have any new information or we still in a circle jerk guessing while everyone jerks off to teraflop?

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

My doubt is based on an exchange mod of war had with heisenberg which semed to me they had private interactions 😂👀👀👀👀
Yes, that was my first thought too , i saw the posts few days back, but then got triggered by TLZ TLZ fast agreed with you, being a #Team14.2 mate!... and i remembered a vague post he made way back last year, in this thread i think (couldn't find it unfortunately) about 18.4 TFs! The github leak has both Ariel and Oberon, both 9.2tf, and both tested at the same time! Too many coincidence that made me dig up his post history, et voila...

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Looks like Klee came back and replied in the thread on Resetera.

Kleegamefan said:
Oh don't worry. I'm still around.

Just lurking in the background allowing people to say things they will regret later.

For now.

Still on the fence on what to believe, but seems like Klee and Osiris are very confident.

xbox may target 3840×2160@25fps while sony may target 2560×1440@60fps. 2560×1440 is the current middle-range of monitors while 3840×2160 will remain high-end for the next two or three years.

Nothing hardware-wise will prevent either system from targeting either of the opposite framerates and resolution you just listed, it ALWAYS comes down to what the developers want to prioritize: super-pretty graphics, or rock-solid 60 fps.

Doesn't seem like it's them. They haven't said anything that someone else couldn't guessimate or put together by looking through public information (even if you have to track that info down).

Basically nothing from them's seemed "insider" quality. But that goes for the vast majority of us, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Still on the fence on what to believe, but seems like Klee and Osiris are very confident.
Damn, these guys are basically betting their reputation on this whole thing. Imagine if they're wrong, they'll probably have to disappear for good.

Reactions: TLZ

TeamGhobad

Banned

klee is not an insider but has insider info that could be old. for a 399 price points 9.2 makes sense. you cant get 13 tflops with 399 aint happening.
only concrete evidence we have is github and it says 12, phil says 12, early leakers say 12. its 12. and 9.2 makes sense for ps5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom