• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Ppl will bet over anything even whose *%*% got the fattest %ussy 😂😂😂😂😂🤦‍♂️😂😂😂
Let's bet on that bebe

giphy.gif

Reindeer

It's just a feeling, all the recent Sony's declarations (8k, we want to do a premium product, we need to change, zero loading times, and so on) make me think we are about to see something really unexpected and wow
8K is for media consumption, you will not see that in any demanding game.

RaySoft

All the APU's leaked are just APU's used in devkits.. Suped up chip to try to represent the final silicon. In no way would ANY company release a consumer product with 2GHz GPU. The thermals would be a nightmare to manage. Nobody want's another RROD.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but if both companies put their orders in last year it shouldnt affect console prices too much

I doubt there will be that much of an increase (40%) on consumer SSDs as the article suggests. It’s all speculative.

For consoles, the orders have been put in already, That could be one of the causes for a slight temporary increase, the outage at Samsung factory combined with console manufacturers sucking up most of the current inventory.

Then when the consoles release and start taking off everything will stabilize again, prices will come down as that storage medium becomes the go to in the PC space as a side effect.

I’m still seeing the 860 EVOs having great sales currently.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
First of all Osiris dont talk about Sony but SE=Square Enix
2nd Talk about industry and companies that is cryptic,maybe have to do with some social media platforms or gaming news sites in the way handle the leaks and create confuse in millions gamers, and the SE Nintendo example is the fallout between console companies and media industry
I see, but I thought he was referring to the Sony FFVII switch where FF became a Sony platform game having started on Nintendo. I was making stupid guesses anyhow :). We'll find out soon enough. A couple of weeks he said if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Dim

Reindeer

Just got a recommended video by Colt Eastwood with the CONFIRMED specs for next gen consoles (techpowerup) smh. These YouTubers are sad individuals.

RaySoft

Are Pachter for once right? Calling out PS5 hardware at $1000 (ambiguously ofc) This is a new video (after Series X announcement)
With his sources, why would he think that Sony's harware would slicifythat pricetag?

Just got a recommended video by Colt Eastwood with the CONFIRMED specs for next gen consoles (techpowerup) smh. These YouTubers are sad individuals.

As a resident Xbot, I suffer vicarious embarrassment when watching some Xbox related channels. I don't think anyone could be worse than Crapgamer.

vpance

All the APU's leaked are just APU's used in devkits.. Suped up chip to try to represent the final silicon. In no way would ANY company release a consumer product with 2GHz GPU. The thermals would be a nightmare to manage. Nobody want's another RROD.

The 5700 was supposedly something they banged out without much work on efficiency. RDNA2 is the real golden goose. Nobody knows how good it can clock on 7nm+, so I still think it's possible. Remember these next gen consoles will probably have a TDP budget closer to 250w instead of like 170w.

Reindeer

As a resident Xbot, I suffer vicarious embarrassment when watching some Xbox related channels. I don't think anyone could be worse than Crapgamer.
The only ones I'll watch when it comes to covering Xbox news are Rand and Brad Sams who also covers Microsoft stuff. There are some bad Sony fanboy channels as well, but Xbox YouTubers definitely take the take when it comes to sensationalism and drama.

Reactions: TLZ
I think X1X is a bad indicator for how a 2 Sku launch would play out. Neither the X or the Pro lit the world on fire, a mid-gen refresh just doesn't have the same oomph as a new console gen. IMO, expect the typical early adopters to take the higher-end model. Low-attach buyers and those that would generally sit on the sidelines in the early going would be the target customers of Lockhart.

RaySoft

Quote: "That PS5 spec looks like it's..I think I've said that's a $1K box so, you know.. God bless them.. let's see if they can pull it off for $400 wich is the ri8ght price point"

Oh, there are, but not on Youtube. Regarding crapgamer, he is how the wind blows. Sometime is on one side, sometimes on the other side.

Last edited:

RaySoft

The 5700 was supposedly something they banged out without much work on efficiency. RDNA2 is the real golden goose. Nobody knows how good it can clock on 7nm+, so I still think it's possible. Remember these next gen consoles will probably have a TDP budget closer to 250w instead of like 170w.
250W for the whole system including cooling of an APU with a CPU at 3.2GHz and a GPU at 2GHz? rly? This are supposed to be devices in everyones homes, not like the devkits at supporting studios... It's a bit different ballgame switching devices between the two.

Last edited:
Are we sure that the CPUs are going to be clocked this high? Or are we getting single-thread boost clock speeds, with lower base clocks.

The most important thing to a console is great games and yet they have lacked all generation, they may have changed in one way but completely missed the mark
You just cant flick a switch. However MS made up for the lackluster OG One with a better S, and the awesome X. Both contain 4k bluray players, and they bumped up the frequency of both the GPU and CPU to give it a bit more. They gave excellent BC upgrades with enhanced visuals and performance, for nothing. They have been buying up first party studios and putting together new ones such as the initiative.
That has been a massive investment in first party support. So while this Gen wont benefit, next gen will. So I really look forward to what Sonys first parties put out, and what MSs first parties come out with.
Historically you are correct that MS screwed up their first parties. I mean they let Bungie walk away for nothing, they turned one of Nintendo's best developers Rare into a shell of their former self. Absolutely crazy.
But like I said, if you haven't seen a new change of direction, you haven't been looking.
Now if only Nontnedo decided to go balls out with another new high tech console.

Buying talent is great but MS has a leadership problem. Its the sane company that wouldbt cancel crackdown yet Phil kept saying its his baby and fav franchise yet it was brought out to die. As I am hopeful, MS needs to change internally more than anything else and establish an identity that isn't childish
What the he'll has releasing a sub par game got to do with the leadership? If Crackdown is the best thing you can hold against them, well they are doing pretty well.
And as for "childish", I hace no idea what you are talking about.

Banned
I don't see 2GHz being possible in a console thermal and power envelope.

My PC doesn't have a giant case, and it doesn't get loud at all... and that's the case even tho my GTX 1070oc boosts up to 2GHz... abd it has no issues doing that.

if they are using a good cooling solution and the case isn't too small I see no issue with that

Mass Shift

Yup.

The old Durango and Orbis leaks from June 2012 had them exactly where they ended up as. Xbox One said 1.1-1.2. Ended up being 1.3TF. And PS4 was dead on at 1.8TF.

Whomever did the leaks even got the ram boost leak right saying each system had 2-4 gb of ram, but they might be boosted to 8gb. Spot on again. Both were 8gb.

And that was about a year and a half before launch!

Yeah that was real tough on the Xbox loyalists, they had a hard time dealing with that. I remember several of my own friends freaked during the May 2013 reveal. When people saw this, they knew the leaks were all true and it was too late to do anything about it.

xbox_one_05.jpg

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
The cheaper will sell more. Especially that any casual that wants to get an Xbox will go for the cheaper one because they don’t care about the specs
The series X will be like a premium rather than base.
Now, if Lockhart will replace either base Xbox or Xbox X will be a mistery.
What the retail price of Xbox One X? Lockhart will be more expensive, no?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah that was real tough on the Xbox loyalists, they had a hard time dealing with that. I remember several of my own friends freaked during the May 2013 reveal. When people saw this, they knew the leaks were all true and it was too late to do anything about it.

xbox_one_05.jpg
I don't know who leaked that info, but we need that guy back.

In the info, even the Orbis PS4 kit said it would use GDDR5 ram, while Xbox Durango didn't. 100% true.

If all the insiders are saying the github info is crap are old. Fine. So where's the most recent info and specs? All these insiders say it's outdated info. Ok, maybe it is. So where's the latest then? Not one person wants to say anything because they don't have anything.

Until someone wants to state the most recent PS5 specs, it's 9.2TF for now.

Last edited:
Low-attach buyers and those that would generally sit on the sidelines in the early going would be the target customers of Lockhart.

The cheaper will sell more. Especially that any casual that wants to get an Xbox will go for the cheaper one because they don’t care about the specs

There are so many different factors on why casual/price conscious consumer doesn't jump in early and it's more than just the entry level price of a console.

First, game library is more important than the price point of a console & launch will always have the least desirable lineup.

Second, casuals who want cheaper consoles like cheaper games as well. One of the best reasons on adopting early is getting a varied game lineup with different prices. A casuals doesn't say to themselves "I'm a cheap bastard when comes to the price of a console, but boy, do I sure like spending full price on every game!" Do soccer moms not like to got to Wal Mart or Gamestop to find cheap games for their kids? (Lockhart may not even come with a disc drive, which limits its potential for casuals even more)

Lastly, what makes you think casuals who waited this gen to buy an Xbox One or PS4 are gonna want to spend money on a console again so soon? If someone bought a console in '17, '18 or '19, we're talking 2-3 years max so far with their current console. What is their rush to buy another one again? All the popular cross gen titles will still be available. Their initial plan of waiting and having a vast library to choose with cheaper game prices worked before. Why change now?

Consumers are creatures of habits and I think in general are being short sighted with the market potential for Lockhart. There has been lower priced SKU's for consoles at launch before (that actually came with a disc drive) and performed poorly in relation to the higher priced SKU.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Nah. I don't see that. 16G is pretty much a given.
What do you think of this thread claiming 8gb and 12gb?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
What do you think of this thread claiming 8gb and 12gb?

It's not 8G. I was hinted at 16G and I trust my sources. And I think DF info is pretty accurate (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom