• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
That’s just it. They didn’t go up there to talk PlayStation 5. They went up to say, we’ve had a successful generation with a lot of content and users. They went on to say things we knew because Cerny said them before, or they were announced. This was strategic to say nothing new. A brief nod for what’s to come and move on to CES appropriate topics.

MS didn’t need to be there because they weren’t introducing anything CES related. Sony on the other hand, does. Lots of things. It’s not like Sony will use the PlayStation Meeting or E3 to sell what they try to sell at CES.

This is why AMD didn’t say much about the consoles. It isn’t why they are there either.
If you don't have anything new then don't bother with the same couple of talking points that are worn out. Even a date for the playstation reveal would worked. It was like watching a repeat for the 100th time. In the end it does not matter Sony wins just a question by how many 10s of millions.

Mass Shift

Jim is cowardly.

I have not seen SCE this scared and evasive.
Like 3d audio being first on the diagram, is that your performance lead?
Ultra bluray? Xbox1 already did it.
A refreshed logo?

I bet Sony wanted to have some power talks, but pulled out as they feared MS retaliation which makes them look bad

Look bad? Fear of retaliation? Certainly not.

But if Sony already knows they don't have a power/performance advantage then it doesn't serve them in any way to challenge MS on that point.

I mean they could bluff all the way to their reveal but would eventually have to show their hand. And if it's lacking they just set themselves up for ridicule. Sony's not stupid.

So like a lot of folks here at GAF, people on T twitter were not impressed and disappointed with Sony/PS5 at CES and they're kind of getting reamed at the moment. But I thought this tweet was pretty funny:

I'm going to take a gander that Sony will reveal an NVMe drive at E3. And the crowd will immediately take pictures of it like the CES crowd did with the logo even though it'll just look like any other NVMe drive.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’ll be honest Sony is getting some bad press right now and it’s not just the press but the gaming communities..... lots of dislikes.....

the future and they show a logo...... while Microsoft drops

he’ll blade 2 in engine footage,the console, the controller, and the new GPU WITH 8k and the spec estimates.

Sony def seems a lil ignorant to the above.

It's not their fault, it's the fans.

I'm seeing some fans upset because Sony didn't show any specs.

People need to lower their expectations and shouldn't expect huge things whenever Sony announces a conference.

And just how many people actually are aware of these untrue facts? Is it enough to actually cause Sony's stock to drop dramatically? Extrapolating the stock market from GAF reactions is a laughable method.

But my point still stands. Sony didn't immediately say "No, the PS4 has 8 gigs not 4 gigs" despite rumors of the PS4 only being 4 gigs being floated around. And another user already explained the full context, so I don't need to repeat it here.
Because it was actually 4gigs at that time.

I think Sony got caught short by MS and so they are trying to up the specs. Why do I think that? Because Sony wouldn't of designed their GPU to run at 2.0ghz from initial. They would have gone more Cu's and less frequency. So the fact they look like they are doing 2.0ghz screams of reaction.

Reindeer

Dtfh6v9.jpg

Now you can skip CES 2027

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Nah. There is a heap of negative press about the situation with the PS5. DF videos, Twitter, Forums, etc. Sony would hate that situation and if it wasn't true, they would say something. Remember when people said Cerny didn't specify hardware RT? He came out and clarified it. He didn't want a negative narrative out there. They plan these reveals perfectly to keep up interest and hype. These AMD leaks have smashed the PS5. They would have done something to correct that by now if it wasnt true.
Under hype is always better than over hype.

Because it was actually 4gigs at that time.

I think Sony got caught short by MS and so they are trying to up the specs. Why do I think that? Because Sony wouldn't of designed their GPU to run at 2.0ghz from initial. They would have gone more Cu's and less frequency. So the fact they look like they are doing 2.0ghz screams of reaction.
And Sony announced that it would have 8 gigs in spite of reports of it being only 4 gigs long before it. You haven't denied this nor proven this to be false.

And how do you explain the PS5 not having raytracing rumor which took Sony over 1.5 weeks to confirm that its false? That is a complete counterexample against your "Why isn't Sony immediately debunking the 'negative press'?" claim. And the fact you're going off of unconfirmed specs speaks even louder about your haphazard conjecture.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If you don't have anything new then don't bother with the same couple of talking points that are worn out. Even a date for the playstation reveal would worked. It was like watching a repeat for the 100th time. In the end it does not matter Sony wins just a question by how many 10s of millions.

Perhaps. I just think it was just those that decided to tune in thinking there was something going to be shown that there never was.
It’s a double edged sword. If they said nothing they’d be damned by some for that too.

longdi

Banned
I’ll be honest Sony is getting some bad press right now and it’s not just the press but the gaming communities..... lots of dislikes.....

he’ll blade 2 in engine footage,the console, the controller, and the new GPU WITH 8k and the spec estimates.

Shouldn't have shown anything.

If they wanted to intro ps5 name officially, at least make that diagrams more exciting to core gamers watching ces.

At least talk about power levels, like 10x over ps4 or next gen gpu architecture.

This is on Jim Ryan. You can just feel and see the effect of SCE losing those staffs

Back in 2013 when we announced the PS4, we were criticized for only showing you the controller.

Today at CES2020 we tried to improve on that. Instead of showing the console or the controller, we did one better. We showed you the logo.

#GreatnessAwaits. #CES2020.

But why?
The impact will be way bigger if it shows the TFs at PS5 event in February.

BTW which negative press? Or do you mean the laughable jump conclusions articles based in rumors? These ones are only creating negative things about the writers like the DF article.
Its simple
Good positive press = Good for company
Bad negative press = Bad for company.

Why do you think companies like Sony pay PR and Marketing companies millions and millions to work out how to put the most positive spin on their products as possible?
Because it matters.
It defies logic to think that Sony would be happy with how much the 9.2tflops gimped hardware talk has taken up of the narrative.
If they could easily have struck it down, they would have. Now as I have said in another post, I think Sony aren't 100% sure of where there system will end up. Is the 2.0ghz 9.2tflop just too hot? Do they make some last minute, expensive additions to their APU? I think they are scrambling.
MS isnt scrambling. They seem pretty content with where they sit. Hardware wise any ways.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Its not about showing their cards. One tweet from Cerny saying something like "we prefer out tflops double digit " or "at PlayStation we don't do 9s" and bam, all that negative press goes away, and everyone is back to thinking the PS5 will be a beast.

They don't need to.

How often did Sony respond after it was reported that Spider-Man was no longer going to be part of the MCU? Sony almost stayed completely silent until a deal was reached.

Things will likely die down within a week or two until the next PlayStation event is announced.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How often did Sony respond after it was reported that Spider-Man was no longer going to be part of the MCU? Sony almost stayed completely silent until a deal was reached.

Sony Pictures CEO came out and publicly said they didn't need Marvel anymore. He didn't exactly stay silent. He dug his heels in.

The mainstream news/television will likely be mentioning their conference in their highlights ("sony yesterday revealed a new electric car, 8k tv's, the logo of their upcoming console...etc).

Outside of forum dwellers, who will be talking about a die shot of a chip found on Phil Spencer's twitter account? I'm one of those forum dwellers and MS is hitting all the right notes with me....but you gotta realize they're both in different positions.

If MS had 100 million plus Xbox One's out there with sizable growth for years to come....you bet your ass Phil woudn't care to post pic of an APU, nor would he use the VGA's as a platform to promote their upcoming console over CES.

It is what it is.

Koopatrol

People are freaking out too much over Sony showing a PS5 logo lmaoo. Sony is fine, they're just following their PR plan. Marching to the beat of their own drum despite what MS has said/revealed is their best bet. I didn't even expect anything from CES, yet here we are.

Some of these overreactions can wait until specs actually get revealed/game lineups are shown.

Dabaus

Banned
Its simple

Why do you think companies like Sony pay PR and Marketing companies millions and millions to work out how to put the most positive spin on their products as possible?
Because it matters.
It defies logic to think that Sony would be happy with how much the 9.2tflops gimped hardware talk has taken up of the narrative.
If they could easily have struck it down, they would have. Now as I have said in another post, I think Sony aren't 100% sure of where there system will end up. Is the 2.0ghz 9.2tflop just too hot? Do they make some last minute, expensive additions to their APU? I think they are scrambling.
MS isnt scrambling. They seem pretty content with where they sit. Hardware wise any ways.
I agree with this. Sony is way too quiet at the moment and the power gulf difference is becoming the narrative. If they were close, or even more than what Microsoft has they would’ve said so or done a controlled leak. At this point if they aren’t aiming for 399 and come in at 499 with Xbox, I could see Xbox pick up a lot of lost ground, at least here in the states.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony Pictures CEO came out and publicly said they didn't need Marvel anymore. He didn't exactly stay silent. He dug his heels in.

That's why I said *almost*.

People don't focus on the same topic every single day and they didn't need to respond make a report 3 times a week.

People are freaking out too much over Sony showing a PS5 logo lmaoo. Sony is fine, they're just following their PR plan. Marching to the beat of their own drum despite what MS has said/revealed is their best bet. I didn't even expect anything from CES, yet here we are.

Some of these overreactions can wait until specs actually get revealed/game lineups are shown.
Not to mention, the hot takes are the result of people not keeping their expectations in check and not being aware that CES has been not the place for significant gaming announcements.

Last edited:

Lol what?! Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously some of you need to step away from the computer.

Rumors of the PS5 not having raytracing first came up on December 27, but it wasn't until 1.5 weeks later that this rumor was ultimately debunked. And the way hardware raytracing was announced was more "Here it is. Moving on" and less so in response to something.

So why would Sony wait that long, and not make sure to tell everyone that the rumor was completely false and that they should calm down? Could it be that much of negative reactions were limited to everyday internet users and not so much from the folks of the business sphere?
But they did actually correct it. And it hadnt gathered anywhere near the steam this has.

Dabaus

Banned
I know this sounds crazy but here me out. I remember when titan fall was revealed as an Xbox one exclusive it seemed analogous to Microsoft a tech titan “falling” from grace post 360 days. Now, with Sony we see “god fall” as an exclusive and the way things are trending seems kind of analogous to them. They may not be the titan that Microsoft are but certainly rule the roost currently. Maybe the signs and symbols have been before us this whole time? The fates tell us what will happen if you know what to look for?

Last edited:
But they did actually correct it (1.5 weeks after the rumors began spreading). And it hadnt gathered anywhere near the steam this has.
So now you're moving the goalposts to the amount of "steam" the "bad press" has, of which you have not been able to quantify the amount. Like I said, haphazard conjecture.

Last edited:

Kdad

I know this sounds crazy but here me out. I remember when titan fall was revealed as an Xbox one exclusive it seemed analogous to Microsoft a tech titan “falling” from grace post 360 days. Now, with Sony we see “god fall” as an exclusive and the way things are trending seems kind of analogous to them. They may not be the titan that Microsoft are but certainly rule the roost currently. Maybe the signs and symbols have been before us this whole time? The fates tell us what will happen if you know what to look for?

Dude. Trending?

Imtjnotu

What the fuck are you talking about 😂😂

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lets say the PS5 is similar in specs.

Do you think fans are going to care that they waited until the end of Feb. to reveal the specs?

The answer is no.
Specs could be worse it doesn't matter Sony has an inpenitriple wall in main land EU and the east. MS could come in at 13tf at 399.99 and Sony 9.5tf at 399.99 Sony would still out sell them by 25 million or more. This not a contest or war it's just a how much will Sony win by. Will MS make enough money to stay in the market to keep Sony from a monopoly which is my fear. Now that Nintendo has pulled out of the home console business and is hand held only. If it is just Sony it won't be pretty they will bully developers and shit on customers like any other company that has 100% market share.

Tarkus98

with how much they are avoiding talk of the gpu and how powerful their hardware is, im starting to believe in these 8-9 tflops rumors. ms just went out there and showed a super powerful console and sony is here acting like ms did last gen. no talk about how powerful they are.

say hello to your 8 tflops console boys. lol
With how much they are holding back on GPU power Sony must be extremely confident in what they have or they would spilled the 9.2 bsflops by now. Better to get it out of the way now so people can become used to it instead of dropping it later. Not a good idea to hold back on that kind of bad news.
Say hello to your 13Tflops beast boys and girls.
See how easily the narrative can be swapped using a bit of common sense?

Seriously it appears Sony is once again playing a brilliant bit of chess here. Throw that wired article out there with certain specific details about their console to see if Microsoft “bites” and boy did they ever. Within a month or two we have a rough Tflop idea (Phil’s 2x the One X statement), we have the consoles design, the type of memory, etc.
This should enable Sony to plan, create and reveal the specifics of the ps5 in precisely the order and timeframe that will best showcase it against their competition.

Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t take much to get Microsoft to spill the beans on their console as they appear to be supremely confident in what they have cooked up.
From what I have seen they certainly have every right to be too. So far I like what I am seeing and so are my friends.
Anyway, not looking for meltdowns from either camp, just looking for two excellent console manufacturers to deliver their absolute best so I can be happy playing some face melting, mind altering games for the next 7 years.

That is insignificant if the negative press isn't even widespread to begin with nor has it tipped the scales in a substantial way.
The two biggest gaming forums = Reset and Gaf. This topic has been the biggest thing on them since the AMD leaks.
The biggest gaming YouTube channel DF did a video on it basically saying that it indeed looks like the PS5 will be a 9.2tflop console and that the XSX will have 56cus and will be more powerful.
Type into Google PS5 news, and the 9.2tflop issue comes up.
Go onto Twitter and look at what people are saying about PS5 and it's all about the AMD leaks.
Just because soccer mum Betty down the road doesnt know about it, all the hardcore gamers who are first adopters, spend the most money, buy the most games, they well and truly know about it.

And Sony announced that it would have 8 gigs in spite of reports of it being only 4 gigs long before it. You haven't denied this nor proven this to be false.

And how do you explain the PS5 not having raytracing rumor which took Sony over 1.5 weeks to confirm that its false? That is a complete counterexample against your "Why isn't Sony immediately debunking the 'negative press'?" claim. And the fact you're going off of unconfirmed specs speaks even louder about your haphazard conjecture.
Not at all. The talk about Sony having 4gigs came about when Sony actually was going to use 4gig. Their decision to change was so close to the reveal, it wasnt worth making anything of it.

And with regards to RT, you are actually proving my point for me. Sony DID address it. It only took 10 days for Sony to set the record straight. The AMD leaks have been out for far longer than the RT question was. It's got FAR more press and buzz than the RT thing ever did, and Sony hasn't gone anywhere near setting the record straight. Most likely because the record is straight. The 36CUs is what the machine is.

So you points prove my side of the argument, so im not sure why you keep pushing them.

The two biggest gaming forums = Reset and Gaf. This topic has been the biggest thing on them since the AMD leaks.
The biggest gaming YouTube channel DF did a video on it basically saying that it indeed looks like the PS5 will be a 9.2tflop console and that the XSX will have 56cus and will be more powerful.
Type into Google PS5 news, and the 9.2tflop issue comes up.
Go onto Twitter and look at what people are saying about PS5 and it's all about the AMD leaks.
Just because soccer mum Betty down the road doesnt know about it, all the hardcore gamers who are first adopters, spend the most money, buy the most games, they well and truly know about it.
You seem agigtated, scared and trigered to be honest with responses you are posting here. Chill dude. Ps is a global gaming juggernaut that doesnt need to answer everything ms do. They have their own schedule . Nothing reactionary needed when u r confident.u lead u dont follow 😉

Felessan

Yeah, negative press is great for companies. It's great for their share prices, investors and the like. In fact companies just love to have 6 months of terrible untrue facts floating around about their product, just so they can say you were wrong.
They marketing and PR firms millions to a give the best possible roll out and narrative for their products. But yet are happy to have all this terrible press out there.
I can 1000% tell you that would not be how Sony would be thinking.
Sony obviously more knowledgeable about PR stuff, they know how to control public and investor relationships and what affects their standings.
For now, even on some tech forums there rage outcry and dissatisfaction of some, because it's all rumours and unproven information one can spun either way (which is what is going on here) - it have zero impact on real world (Sony shares up 17% for last 2 months)

They want to go in controlled manner, not influenced by some other party. Hype tends to die out - so you want to build it close to the launch, and not just blow your cards because something-something on the forums.

Its simple
Not really. As long as you can control the size of negative PR and later turn it over, bad press is as good as good one ("There is no such thing as bad publicity ")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom