• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I will say that the keenest observation is that pCars does indeed rarely look like the screens I put up, since I try my best to get really dynamic shots. As for IQ, there are plenty of folks who can run the game at the IQ I posted at a pretty decent fps, if not 60. Here is my more gameplay, 1600p settings:

pcars_exe_dx11_20140208_093936_by_roderickartist-d75z0wh.png

As fraps shows, 47 fps. This is including sweetfx as well (I like slightly more dramatic bloom, a tiny bit of CA)

And here's a fun gif:

pcars6_by_roderickartist-d6gygcf.gif

Nothing mindblowing, but I like the little crack that appears on the visor.
I wonder if the next set of cards will lock those visuals at 60 if you are already pulling in 47 fps there.

nib95

Banned
I feel like I'm one of the few people in this thread that actually posts gameplay shots lol. The PCars fans on here seem allergic to the notion (except when it comes to GIF's). Which is a shame. Makes it very difficult to properly compare these games, since poster angles etc aren't indicative of normal racing angles and views.

Good that we got some gameplay shots from Forza 5 and NFS Rivals at least. And I suppose for DriveClub, captures from video of gameplay is better than random PR shots.

tasch

Banned
I feel like I'm one of the few people in this thread that actually posts gameplay shots lol. The PCars fans on here seem allergic to the notion (except when it comes to GIF's). Which is a shame.

Good that we got some gameplay shots from Forza 5 and NFS Rivals at least. And I suppose for DriveClub, captures from video of gameplay is better than random PR shots.

i dunno, a lot of the shots I've seen from pcars looks like what i get to play it at on my pc... I guess to each their own, some see what they see, others see something else. Just like my posts elsewhere.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I presume that because I can afford to play PCars at 4K my version of the game doesn't exist for the purposes of comparing a game's graphical capability?

Sounds extremely convenient.

Well it's just not a fair comparison unless it's screenshots of PCars running on a PC that costs as much as a PS4.

I feel like I'm one of the few people in this thread that actually posts gameplay shots lol. The PCars fans on here seem allergic to the notion (except when it comes to GIF's). Which is a shame. Makes it very difficult to properly compare these games, since poster angles etc aren't indicative of normal racing angles and views.

I don't understand why you think some of them aren't from gameplay...

Here's a rainy one:
imisKHUbLEn0n.jpg

Here's another shot, no DoF:
iSVEbLKDcCbLX.jpg

Here's the same shot, pressing the F3 button for the DoF filter (which the game can be played with on) yet everyone screams..'Bullshot' when the shots have DoF:
ib1te0O7n7Pr4g.jpg

And I must say (and it goes for all the games in this thread) that picking out flaws in screenshots is one thing, but witnessing the game running in person on a high res monitor or a huge tv in your living room is another thing all together. All of these games look amazing and it's incredible what they are doing.

nib95

Banned
I don't understand why you think some of them aren't from gameplay...

Because if it was from gameplay it would't be showing extreme angles of the car, a birds eye shot etc. I think you're confusing in-game or in-engine with actual gameplay. The two are not the same.

But at least we finally got some. Aside from the rain effects, I can't help but feel PCars has a similar issue to some of the other big racers, that is, the vehicles look fantastic, they're super detailed with massively high poly counts and excellent shaders, whilst the environments leave more to be desired. Geometry, textures, quality of tree's etc just not on par, and the overall lighting still not as realistic as the rest. The saving grace tends to be an excess of motion blur or aggressive depth of field, which move towards hiding some of the imperfections in the tracks and environments.

Of all the lighting conditions I've seen from the game, I think overcast and rainy look the best, the others still look far less realistic in relation to some of the gameplay we've seen from DriveClub for example.

Because if it was from gameplay it would't be showing extreme angles of the car, a birds eye shot etc. I think you're confusing in-game or in-engine with actual gameplay. The two are not the same.

But at least we finally got some. Aside from the rain effects, I can't help but feel PCars has a similar issue to some of the other big racers, that is, the vehicles look fantastic, they're super detailed with massively high poly counts and excellent shaders, whilst the environments leave more to be desired. Geometry, textures, quality of tree's etc just not on par, and the overall lighting still not as realistic as the rest. The saving grace tends to be an excess of motion blur or aggressive depth of field, which move towards hiding some of the imperfections in the tracks and environments.

Of all the lighting conditions I've seen from the game, I think overcast and rainy look the best, the others still look far less realistic in relation to some of the gameplay we've seen from DriveClub for example.

You do realize in the shots I've posted I'm simply rotating the angle of the camera around the car.. something you can do in every single racing game of the last and current gen..

nib95

Banned
You do realize in the shots I've posted I'm simply rotating the angle of the camera around the car.. something you can do in every single racing game of the last and current gen..

I was referring to these.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113421541&postcount=603

Here's some more ProjectCars gameplay shots by the way. Max settings.

i9uKNndlejENI.jpg

Depth of field highly aggressive.

ibaNOzoURhtJx9.jpg

Less so.

iYnnpP4WIwpYH.jpg

Overcast.

icJBWVEp1QDHd.jpg

I was saying in another thread that ProjectCars in certain scenario's and lighting reminds me of an upgraded version of GRID 2.

grid2_avx2013-07-1203ssku5.png

grid2_avx2013-07-1203igjkk.png

VanWinkle

Great Project Cars screenshots posted, Nib. Those impress me more than the non-gameplay shots, honestly. I'm just more into that style of screenshot personally.

Project cars now looks amazing! Wow!

The definition and fine details (including the vehicles) is greater on PC, but lighting and landscapes are better looking on DC imo.

tasch

Banned

I think you're trying to make excuses, your post history shows a level of bias when it comes to things like graphics. Perhaps you shouldn't be trying so hard to push your own ideas onto people and expecting people to just go with what you say. After all, I dont see anything different with the replays from what I've seen in my gamplay pics to whats been presented here.

Sadly you can't seem to understand that the game and lighting parameters aren't finished yet.. and those are actually my screens, which I posted for the IQ comparison to the Driveclub ones not for realism. Post Driveclub pics at that IQ (that aren't dev bullshots) and compare. It's easy to say how realistic DC's lighting and environments are when you have really shitty compressed pics that blur everything together. When you see those assets in their unblurred glory, their flaws will flow through.

I can go into the debug menu and play around with parameters, and lighting ect.. Of course the most important thing to remember is that the game is NOT finished yet... and there will ALWAYS be lighting conditions that look more realistic than others in every game. Shaders need to be adjusted and tweaked for different lighting conditions. On a game of this scale, it would be very hard to have the same quality across the board. I think you are being a little too quick to judge. I can post extremely game-ish looking screens of pCARS, and I can post extremely realistic looking ones. Give the devs a chance to tweak and fix things. We both know the game can look extremely realistic, no reason to think they wont tweak things to make it look more realistic in all lighting conditions. They are still building content for the game, most tracks aren't even close to being finished.. they haven't even thought about seriously tweaking and adjusting things yet. If I hadn't been there since the start and seen how things have improved, I might think like you, but when the tracks are done, they will look great, I'm confident.

Some shots of the debug menu and other shots:

Now look at this pic:

ibaNOzoURhtJx9.jpg

then this pic:
i8le4CpH79R8I.jpg

One looks much more realistic than the other, of course, but the lighting isn't done. I'm 100% confident they will adjust it :)

onanie

I was referring to these.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113421541&postcount=603

Here's some more ProjectCars gameplay shots by the way. Max settings.

These appear to be more representative of what you actually get when playing, going by what the video community has actually been able to reproduce in-motion outside of cinematic trailers (invariably accompanied by orchestral themes).

When compared environmentally within the same gameplay constraints, DC definitely wins. Granted, evolution gains some advantage from having creative freedom in tracks, but they do have some technical advantage in that regard.

nib95

Banned
I think you're trying to make excuses, your post history shows a level of bias when it comes to things like graphics. Perhaps you shouldn't be trying so hard to push your own ideas onto people and expecting people to just go with what you say. After all, I dont see anything different with the replays from what I've seen in my gamplay pics to whats been presented here.

You just got lambasted by several folk in the Order thread for falsely claiming the game had been graphically downgraded, and you're talking to me about lacking graphics comprehension? There's irony in that somewhere.

And I never once said the graphics weren't the same, I said that 99% of the PCars screens I ever see posted aren't actually gameplay shots or representative of what you see during gameplay. Remember, in game does not necessarily equal gameplay. Whilst I appreciate PCars doesn't have a proper dedicated photo mode, one type of screenshot is still much more representative of exactly what you'll be seeing whilst you're actually racing comparative to the other.

You just got lambasted by several folk in the Order thread for falsely claiming the game had been graphically downgraded, and you're talking to me about lacking graphics comprehension? There's irony in that somewhere.

And I never once said the graphics weren't the same, I said that 99% of the PCars screens I ever see posted aren't actually gameplay shots or representative of what you see during gameplay. Remember, in game does not necessarily equal gameplay. Whilst I appreciate PCars doesn't have a proper dedicated photo mode, one type of screenshot is still much more representative of exactly what you'll be seeing whilst you're actually racing comparative to the other.

Oh so camera angles then? We should post pics at the gameplay camera angle. Behind the car.. looking straight ahead... because other than the angle, nothing is different. People post pics of the cars at extreme angles so that shots don't become so monotonous. Nothing wrong with showing off the work the devs have put into making the cars look so nice. The pCARS tracks are unfinished by comparison. Want me to focus on that pylon with sharp edges? Lol, no thnx.

Anyway, because I love posting pics of this car, here's some more B)

nib95

Banned
Sadly you can't seem to understand that the game and lighting parameters aren't finished yet.. and those are actually my screens, which I posted for the IQ comparison to the Driveclub ones not for realism. Post Driveclub pics at that IQ (that aren't dev bullshots) and compare. It's easy to say how realistic DC's lighting and environments are when you have really shitty compressed pics that blur everything together. When you see those assets in their unblurred glory, their flaws will flow through.

I can go into the debug menu and play around with parameters, and lighting ect.. Of course the most important thing to remember is that the game is NOT finished yet... and there will ALWAYS be lighting conditions that look more realistic than others in every game. Shaders need to be adjusted and tweaked for different lighting conditions. On a game of this scale, it would be very hard to have the same quality across the board. I think you are being a little too quick to judge. I can post extremely game-ish looking screens of pCARS, and I can post extremely realistic looking ones. Give the devs a chance to tweak and fix things. We both know the game can look extremely realistic, no reason to think they wont tweak things to make it look more realistic in all lighting conditions. They are still building content for the game, most tracks aren't even close to being finished.. they haven't even thought about seriously tweaking and adjusting things yet. If I hadn't been there since the start and seen how things have improved, I might think like you, but when the tracks are done, they will look great, I'm confident.

Some shots of the debug menu and other shots:

Now look at this pic:

One looks much more realistic than the other, of course, but the lighting isn't done. I'm 100% confident they will adjust it :)

I can't truly appreciate these screens because I'm on my mobile now, but I do agree with many of your points and do appreciate you taking the time out to post shots, especially comparing lighting conditions etc. Those are the sorts of interesting things I'd like to see more out of this thread, and are the sorts of things that really impress.

On a side note, several people in this thread have spoken about how it's unfair to judge ProjectCars because the game is unfinished. Why not the same considation for DriveClub? Or whatever other game soon joins the ranks. Fact of the matter is, these two games are releasing only a month or so apart, one is not going to be considerably more behind than the other, and both are going to see optimisations and improvements. If the closing sentiment is that it's unfair to judge or compare either due to the unfinished nature of these games, then what's the point of the thread? We might as well just wait for the release of both no? Or is it not to analyse what we have seen or experienced thus far, with the knowledge that both will improve in time?

I can't truly appreciate these screens because I'm on my mobile now, but I do agree with many of your points and do appreciate you taking the time out to post shots, especially comparing lighting conditions etc. Those are the sorts of interesting things I'd like to see more out of this thread, and are the sorts of things that really impress.

On a side note, several people in this thread have spoken about how it's unfair to judge ProjectCars because the game is unfinished. Why not the same considation from any, for DriveClub? Or whatever other game soon joins the ranks. Fact of the matter is, these two games are only releasing only a month or so apart, one is not going to be considerably more behind than the other, and both are going to see optimisations and improvements.

That's a very good point. Both games have time for more optimizations. And if I'm being brutally honest, I do think that DC has better environments/environment lighting at the moment. Probably will when it releases too. But pCARS is improving at a steady rate, and I think the last few months will see lots of effort to make the game more evenly polished.

nib95

Banned
That's a very good point. Both games have time for more optimizations. And if I'm being brutally honest, I do think that DC has better environments/environment lighting at the moment. Probably will when it releases too. But pCARS is improving at a steady rate, and I think the last few months will see lots of effort to make the game more evenly polished.

Will be interesting to see. I'm sure devs of either game read threads like this, and will no doubt want to create the best looking game they can within their budget and capabilities purely out of consideration for what they do, and the attention to detail they implore.

I'm still hoping to get a retail copy of ProjectCars early if I can. I'm actually super excited for the game, DC and Forza Horizon 2 as well, even though I don't yet own an Xbox One. I think my GTX 570 SSC should be able to handle PCars, I played an older build briefly and it was fine, or I might just go PS4. Either way, it's a good time to be a racing fan, and certainly amusing that we're comparing, contrasting and nitpicking, when ultimately we should just be happy both games look as good as they do, especially so early on in the new generation.

Will be interesting to see. I'm sure devs of either game read threads like this, and will no doubt want to create the best looking game they can within their budget and capabilities purely out of consideration for what they do, and the attention to detail they implore.

I'm still hoping to get a retail copy of ProjectCars early if I can. I'm actually super excited for the game, DC and Forza Horizon 2 as well, even though I don't yet own an Xbox One. I think my GTX 570 SSC should be able to handle PCars, I played an older build briefly and it was fine, or I might just go PS4. Either way, it's a good time to be a racing fan, and certainly amusing that we're comparing and contrasting, when ultimately we should just be happy both games look as God as they do, especially so early on in the new generation.

True that, I'm sure they look at each other's games and think about the design decisions they've made. As gamers we got a lot of variety in racing atm. DC, to pCARS, to NFS, to MK8. (The Crew as well) Also, I honestly think that when it comes to lighting, the next Gran Turismo will blow both DriveClub and pCARS away. I hope so anyway. And hearing that Logitech is working with Sony to make their wheels work on the PS4 makes me happy.

jet1911

On a side note, several people in this thread have spoken about how it's unfair to judge ProjectCars because the game is unfinished. Why not the same considation for DriveClub? Or whatever other game soon joins the ranks. Fact of the matter is, these two games are releasing only a month or so apart, one is not going to be considerably more behind than the other, and both are going to see optimisations and improvements. If the closing sentiment is that it's unfair to judge or compare either due to the unfinished nature of these games, then what's the point of the thread? We might as well just wait for the release of both no? Or is it not to analyse what we have seen or experienced thus far, with the knowledge that both will improve in time?

What we're seeing of Driveclub is carefully selected footage by Sony. Evo/Sony wouldn't release a screen of Driveclub that look like this for exemple.

Clearly an unfinished track. I guess that maybe because they don't have to do press events and things like that they work on the game in a different way? Not finishing 3 or 4 tracks that need to be almost perfect to show to the public.

nib95

Banned
What we're seeing of Driveclub is carefully selected footage by Sony. Evo/Sony wouldn't release a screen of Driveclub that look like this for exemple.

sanstitrejlubz.png

Clearly an unfinished track. I guess that maybe because they don't have to do press events and things like that they work on the game in a different way? Not finishing 3 or 4 tracks that need to be almost perfect to show to the public.
True to a large extent, though the pre pre alpha Scotland track they demoed looked pretty lacklustre and unfinished last year, and was several months old even then, so there's always that. The Gamescom footage also had lots of IQ issues, namely with the AA. I mean, compared to the recent builds there's been a massive improment. Though I do agree that we're less likely to see its lows compared to PCars due to the crowd funded constantly updated nature of the latter.

Still, it's not like many people even post such blatantly unfinished or poor screens of PCars anyway.

Kura

Banned
DC lighting wants to be realistic, while PCars and most of other racing games lighting aims to paint an extremely beautiful landscape.

And sure that last one catches our eyes easily. Then add the IQ a mid-hight end PC can apply to the game.

While DC enviroments can be more believable, they wont WOW you as a PC screenshot with everything at max.

theWB27

DC lighting wants to be realistic, while PCars and most of other racing games lighting aims to paint an extremely beautiful landscape.

And sure that last one catches our eyes easily. Then add the IQ a mid-hight end PC can apply to the game.

While DC enviroments can be more believable, they wont WOW you as a PC screenshot with everything at max.

Kaz Yamauchi came right and said that too. He stated GT5 would look better than reality because they can paint the perfect picture more often than it happens in reality.

fresquito

These appear to be more representative of what you actually get when playing, going by what the video community has actually been able to reproduce in-motion outside of cinematic trailers (invariably accompanied by orchestral themes).

When compared environmentally within the same gameplay constraints, DC definitely wins. Granted, evolution gains some advantage from having creative freedom in tracks, but they do have some technical advantage in that regard.
Same constraints? What are you talking about? One is an arcade, the other is a true sim. One takes place in unreal scenarios that are designed to look good, the other has tracks that are designed to look like the real ones. One runs at 30 fps with very easy on the physics simulation, the other is unlimited in the framerate and simulates plenty of things. So, how that's the same gameplay constraints?

Besides, what you get when playing is what you see in pCARS. I pause, use freecam and navigate That's totally what you get when playing, just from a different angle.

ss_lemonade

I will say that the keenest observation is that pCars does indeed rarely look like the screens I put up, since I try my best to get really dynamic shots. As for IQ, there are plenty of folks who can run the game at the IQ I posted at a pretty decent fps, if not 60. Here is my more gameplay, 1600p settings:
My 780 seems to get 60fps at 4k, granted not everything is at max settings and I'm driving alone on the track lol.

I must say, playing it at 1920x1080 @ 120/144hz is a much more amazing thing to look at

Krisprolls

Banned
Based on the footage we have now, Driveclub is the most beautiful because of the unmatched scenery and the realistic dynamic lighting, but PCars look really good too, especially the cars and the IQ. It's just a bit less impressive in lighting and environment.

Then again, one game is a semi arcade racer, and the other one is a sim racer, so it's apple to oranges. It's harder to make a racer look good on tracks. Tracks always looks a bit bland, like in real life actually.

We should wait those two games are released in final form before judging them anyway. I'll probably upgrade my gaming PC to get the best of both worlds.

Synth

Forza 5

Man Nib loves those backhanded compliments when someone posts a stunning Pcars screen doesn't he. Does he not realise it's also coming to his beloved PS4?

He realises it won't look like that on PS4 though.

I can't believe we're invalidating shots based on camera angles now...

Cygnus

Banned

Oh I get it, so PC doesn't count because that's not what he'll be playing

One another note, I think the best game of the bunch is Assetto Corsa (just not the best looker). It feels to me like a slightly harder edge, prettier gran turismo. Less cars, but hey, there's an e30 m3.

This picture is not representative of gameplay IQ at all, it was at 5k and like 0 fps:

Definitely, I've never played a racing sim that felt as good as Assetto Corsa. Mind you I haven't played iRacing sadly.

nib95

Banned

I can't believe we're invalidating shots based on camera angles now...

It's not something inherently new, I've always had that opinion of such shots with regards to these sorts of threads. I just don't think they're very indicative of actual gameplay, because it's not the view you see whilst you're racing or playing the game, and often times not the same visuals either.

Most often they're either photo mode, or where games don't have a separate mode like this, they're poster shots where people boost up the settings beyond the norm specially for them. That or they're carefully angled to show the absolute best possible view of a track, or car etc, and again, not easily comparable.

If you want to take and post them just to show off your car or the graphics in general etc, that's cool, but in comparison threads such as this, they're pretty anti-constructive.

And I realise the game is coming to the PS4, but that wasn't the version I was looking to compare, one because we've barely seen anything from it, and two because the best looking version of the game is still the PC version.

Synth

It's not something inherently new, I've always had that opinion of such shots with regards to these sorts of threads. I just don't think they're very indicative of actual gameplay, because it's not the view you see whilst you're racing or playing the game, and often times not the same visuals either.

Most often they're either photo mode, or where games don't have a separate mode like this, they're poster shots where people boost up the settings beyond the norm specially for them. That or they're carefully angled to show the absolute best possible view of a track, or car etc, and again, not easily comparable.

If you want to take and post them just to show off your car or the graphics in general etc, that's cool, but in comparison threads such as this, they're pretty anti-constructive.

And I realise the game is coming to the PS4, but that wasn't the version I was looking to compare, one because we've barely seen anything from it, and two because the best looking version of the game is still the PC version.

The bolded part is important, as that's kinda what this thread is all about.

Photomode shots are dishonest to use for a comparison, I agree with that. These Project Cars shot though? I don't see them being a similar thing at all. You say people boost the settings specifically for the shot, but if that's the case, then you're suggesting they don't show the game with max settings for a graphical comparison? Really? For someone with a more powerful PC, these settings would be the norm.

Unlike taking a photomode shot, anything being displayed in these PCars shots is something that the game is actually drawing during gameplay. You could set the camera to similar angle whilst playing (sure you'd almost certainly crash, but whatever) and this is how the game would look, There is no cheating going on here, unlike the model swapping, effects increasing, AA boosting practices that come from photomodes. The game has some incredible graphical details that can't be seen from directly behind the car (and some flaws too). There's nothing wrong with people changing the angle to show them. Many people had done the same for Driveclub earlier in the thread and there were zero complaints. It's only apparently become an issue once the Project Cars screenshots (and gifs) started murdering everything.

fresquito

I was requested to take some gameplay pics because "bullshots". It turns out I take pics with my gameplay settings and suddenly the problem is the angle. It's fun because two of the pics say "Manual Control", which means, no matter the angle, I have full control of the car, which means those are gameplay shots.

As I've said many times now in this thread, people like to invalidate all the things that are not convenient to their argument.

fasTRapid

Banned
Unlike taking a photomode shot, anything being displayed in these PCars shots is something that the game is actually drawing during gameplay. You could set the camera to similar angle whilst playing (sure you'd almost certainly crash, but whatever) and this is how the game would look,
Lets not introduce screenshot comparisons again.......all of the major car games in this thread can produce realistic screenshots in the hands of a skilled photographer.

Top Bottom