• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Compressed videos and gifs mask the actual flaws in rendering/art but give the overall appearance of a nice looking game. Think of it like squinting your eyes at the face of a girl you believe to be pretty based upon blurred features you can make out but once brought into focus she doesn't look so hot anymore. Same logic more or less.

Forza Horizon 3/4 unquestionably look better, and yes, see the post below.

It is easy when you actually own them all, know what in the hell you're looking at as it's being rendered in real time right in front of you and can compare things on the fly and aren't relegated to crappy YouTube videos...

meKSTaf.jpg
I trust that is your photo so I respect your opinion and I think it's way off but I respect it :)

urmie

Compressed videos and gifs mask the actual flaws in rendering/art but give the overall appearance of a nice looking game. Think of it like squinting your eyes at the face of a girl you believe to be pretty based upon blurred features you can make out but once brought into focus she doesn't look so hot anymore. Same logic more or less.

It is easy when you actually own them all, know what in the hell you're looking at as it's being rendered in real time right in front of you and can compare things on the fly and aren't relegated to crappy YouTube videos...

meKSTaf.jpg

It's always amazing to me that when someone disagrees with comments, they immediately go to the ownership card because now your comment legitimacy must be put to test on a forum thread about racing graphics.

Great set-up btw.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last edited:
It's always amazing to me that when someone disagrees with comments, they immediately go to the ownership card because now your comment legitimacy must be put to test on a forum thread about racing graphics.

Great set-up btw.
The ownership card has valid place because what most of these people have is one or the other and to draw comparisons they're reliant on the faith of what other people post or as seen in this thread horrible Youtube videos and microscopic gifs. They have no personal reference to both in operation right in front of them. Their opinions are largely based upon faith, my opinions are based upon personal experience.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

meKSTaf.jpg
You can mostly tell who has both in what the floors they see in both and what they post and those who just watch YouTube etc unless they genuinely hate the other console

Last edited:

urmie

The ownership card has valid place because what most of these people have is one or the other and to draw comparisons they're reliant on the faith of what other people post or as seen in this thread horrible Youtube videos and microscopic gifs. They have no personal reference to both in operation right in front of them. Their opinions are largely based upon faith, my opinions are based upon personal experience.

True, and like you, I also own all of them. If you ask me, playing Driveclub now, it doesn't look so sharp, especially if you come off playing 4K racers like Forza Horizon or crisp like GTS. DC would've benefited from a Pro patch.

LostDonkey

True, and like you, I also own all of them. If you ask me, playing Driveclub now, it doesn't look so sharp, especially if you come off playing 4K racers like Forza Horizon or crisp like GTS. DC would've benefited from a Pro patch.

It definitely would. There's nothing like coming off a FH4 session, switching channels for a bit of Driveclub and it taking quite a few races to get used to the jaggies, horrendous textures( by todays standards) and poor image quality.

Its certainly jarring. FH looks so pristine in comparison.

Driveclub doesn't just have a resolution problem albeit that is a big issue for the game. It's got some serious rendering issues.

When you actually stop to take the game in the illusion collapses, aliasing everywhere, poor surface texture work, low levels of surface foliage, low world geometry, low quality texture filtering which only extends out about 10 feet in front of the car, severely dithered water reflections.

It looks like an early generation game now, it still has some nice aspects like the lighting model and the overall weather model is impressive in certain degrees but that weather model is largely used to mask how ugly the game looks when it's not in effect which is why there's such heavy usage of it when people post screenshots here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Driveclub doesn't just have a resolution problem albeit that is a big issue for the game. It's got some serious rendering issues.

When you actually stop to take the game in the illusion collapses, aliasing everywhere, poor surface texture work, low levels of surface foliage, low world geometry, low quality texture filtering which only extends out about 10 feet in front of the car, severely dithered water reflections.

It looks like an early generation game now, it still has some nice aspects like the lighting model and the overall weather model is impressive in certain degrees but that weather model is largely used to mask how ugly the game looks when it's not in effect which is why there's such heavy usage of it when people post screenshots here.
No doubt all those videos showing dark rainy days with globs of water all over the place hide visual issues with Driveclub.

Those videos are so dark and foggy you can barely see anything on the horizon.

Last edited:

urmie

Thanks for that. I knew my eyes weren't deceiving me, I couldn't explain it well. I always felt it looked "cloudy" or something, definitely not sharp. When the final sale came up, I jumped on to get all the DLC before it was gone forever.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just a reminder for people that think that Driveclub can actualy go toe to toe with Forza Horizon 4 and that it was designed the same way as a open world game
28872119108_d7a44b5438_o.png

42028217884_de969f7cfc_o.png

27876521517_ea058046f7_o.png

42028236784_f0dbcbefbb_o.png

42776950251_96282b4953_o.png

All 4K uncompressed png straight out of my PS4 Pro, the game doesn't hold wel when you compare it against FH4. Just posting small gifs and calling it a day doesn't do it will i can see it with my own eyes on my 65inch tv. And don't get me wrong both GTS and Driveclub has there moments when they look unbelievable because of there lighting and shaders when it all comes together but most of the time and most of the things its not even close to FH4. But in motion with rain and dark areas it really shines like this one where the rain is still unmatched in cockpit view
42028215004_4f537de237_o.png

28872141878_3b2012b034_o.png

27876450117_84c117a8b8_o.png

Hobbygaming

So are mine :)

Just a reminder for people that think that Driveclub can actualy go toe to toe with Forza Horizon 4 and that it was designed the same way as a open world game

All 4K uncompressed png straight out of my PS4 Pro, the game doesn't hold wel when you compare it against FH4. Just posting small gifs and calling it a day doesn't do it will i can see it with my own eyes on my 65inch tv. And don't get me wrong both GTS and Driveclub has there moments when they look unbelievable because of there lighting and shaders when it all comes together but most of the time and most of the things its not even close to FH4. But in motion with rain and dark areas it really shines like this one where the rain is still unmatched in cockpit view

Real talk.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

So basically, DC in rain and dark skies = great looking with lighting and reflections. DC in normal driving conditions = Xbox 360 visuals.

All at a whopping 30 fps too.

The game was designed as a launch game to show off pretty weather effects in a racer and nothing more. The game couldn't even get online sorted out and needed to delay a year.

Hobbygaming

So basically, DC in rain and dark skies = great looking with lighting and reflections. DC in normal driving conditions = Xbox 360 visuals.

All at a whopping 30 fps too.

The game was designed as a launch game to show off pretty weather effects in a racer and nothing more. The game couldn't even get online sorted out and needed to delay a year.
Xbox 360 huh Lmao I wish my Xbox 360 had Driveclub's graphics. You can find bad screenshots of any game btw

FH4

pm5B7RX.jpg

RjYFM0e.jpg

qH4hT52.jpg

Xbox 360 huh Lmao I wish my Xbox 360 had Driveclub's graphics. You can find bad screenshots of any game btw

FH4

pm5B7RX.jpg

RjYFM0e.jpg

qH4hT52.jpg
This is why I don't take you people seriously, you look for the most garbage representations. You actively seek it, blurry low bitrate videos, low resolution screenshots, wrongly sourced screenshots.

That second game isn't even Forza Horizon 4, that's Forza Horizon 3. You're not doing yourself any favors by playing into a stereotype that people like myself are not entertaining ourselves.

Idk if this has been posted but it is the perfect example of how much better Driveclub looks though it's a sound comparison

And you keep doing it... This is a joke, I'm honestly getting fed up with you people.

Last edited:

Turk1993

FH4

pm5B7RX.jpg

RjYFM0e.jpg

qH4hT52.jpg
Again posting some random shots of someone else and there is even a screenshot of FH3 in there. Also the last one is in photomode with alot of compression and overblown exposure and the first one is a small compressed screenshot from somewhere from the internet. And even then they don't look as bad as my direct feed uncompressed 4K Driveclub screenshots. Its true you can make any game bad but on my pc Forza looks 95% of the time incredible while Drivelcub looks 95% of the time like the pictures above. And all you do is post small gifs and pics, show me your real screenshots and please don't post FH3 mate whe are at FH4 now ;)
This is why I don't take you people seriously, you look for the most garbage representations. You actively seek it, blurry low bitrate videos, low resolution screenshots, wrongly sourced screenshots.

That second game isn't even Forza Horizon 4, that's Forza Horizon 3. You're not doing yourself any favors by playing into a stereotype that people like myself are not entertaining ourselves.

And you keep doing it... This is a joke.
Yeah like foreal i can't take them serious anymore.

Hobbygaming

And you keep doing it... This is a joke.
There's people in this very thread that are including Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 3 looks similar to 4. You're acting like they rebuilt the engine from scratch or something lol

There's people in this very thread that are including Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 3 looks similar to 4. You're acting like they rebuilt the engine from scratch or something lol
There were a lot of rendering changes made from 3 to 4 but you wouldn't know this because your source of consumption for the games is trash you dig up on the internet.

Turk1993

Please stop now you are just chatting shit, lets compare GT5 with Forza 7 then hey its the same engine just slight changes.

Hobbygaming

Again posting some random shots of someone else and there is even a screenshot of FH3 in there. Also the last one is in photomode with alot of compression and overblown exposure and the first one is a small compressed screenshot from somewhere from the internet. And even then they don't look as bad as my direct feed uncompressed 4K Driveclub screenshots. Its true you can make any game bad but on my pc Forza looks 95% of the time incredible while Drivelcub looks 95% of the time like the pictures above. And all you do is post small gifs and pics, show me your real screenshots and please don't post FH3 mate whe are at FH4 now ;)

Yeah like foreal i can't take them serious anymore.
As I said you can find bad screenshots of any game ;)

And if you guys want the consensus on which game looks better, you can look at the comments in these videos that have been posted :) Most will agree that Driveclub is the best looking racer hands down

And if you guys want the consensus on which game looks better, you can look at the comments in these videos that have been posted :) Most will agree that Driveclub is the best looking racer hands down
You are absolutely intolerable to speak with, you don't understand even the most fundamental things being said or the problems with what you're trying to present to us as evidence.

Worst of all we're clearly and diligently explaining it.

Hobbygaming

You are absolutely intolerable to speak with, you don't understand even the most fundamental things being said or the problems with what you're trying to present to us as evidence.

Worst of all we're clearly and diligently explaining it.
I'm just informing you that the majority have a different opinion lol and the best way to judge is with our 20/20 vision right? :)

Last edited:
I'm just informing you that the majority have a different opinion lol
What majority? The majority of people who watch your misrepresented super compressed low bitrate videos where you can't actually make out any real details and which wholly rely on dramatic camera shaking, overblown rain and exaggerated reflection glares to appear better?

#JokesTime

Last edited:

Turk1993

Yes lets agree on Youtube comments on a sound comparison video where one car is on a airport in the desert while the other one is in green scenery, and the funny thing is its still Forza Horzion 3. Do you live in 2016 or what? Whe have Forza Horizon 4 BTW welcome to 2019, and im 100% sure that you are just trolling like your friends do in here.

thelastword

Banned
Idk if this has been posted but it is the perfect example of how much better Driveclub looks though it's a sound comparison

Amazing video, from the time you compare a tunnel in this game, it's over for Forza...…...That tunnel in DC is something isn't it...….Such great lighting, reflections and ATD......The ATD really shines in that last bit with the rear cam though, the detail, sharp textures and ATD in DC's backgrounds and track environment is absolutely bonkers......Man, every time you guys show me how amazing DC looks, I weep for what EVO could have done next gen on a real CPU and some blazing fast Navi 2 action....

And you keep doing it... This is a joke, I'm honestly getting fed up with you people.
Personally I prefer how Horizon 3 looks.....I think it looks better than 4...….A bit more consistent....Regardless, any of the Forza games is game, they're based in different locations on the same engine, they all released this gen and DC is an early gen game with no sequels....So?

Hobbygaming

Please stop now you are just chatting shit, lets compare GT5 with Forza 7 then hey its the same engine just slight changes.
Driveclub released in 2014 right? Forza Horizon 3 released in 2016 and yes 3 and 4 look similar
What majority? The majority of people who watch your misrepresented super compressed low bitrate videos where you can't actually make out any real details and which wholly rely on dramatic camera shaking, overblown rain and exaggerated reflection glares to appear better?

#JokesTime
No amount of small details would give Forza the edge over more realistic lighting

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Yes lets agree on Youtube comments on a sound comparison video where one car is on a airport in the desert while the other one is in green scenery, and the funny thing is its still Forza Horzion 3. Do you live in 2016 or what? Whe have Forza Horizon 4 BTW welcome to 2019, and im 100% sure that you are just trolling like your friends do in here.
You guys keep complaining about me comparing Forza Horizon 3 but Forza Horizon 3 looks better than Forza Horizon 4 in some areas

Turk1993

You guys keep complaining about me comparing Forza Horizon 3 but Forza Horizon 3 looks better than Forza Horizon 4 in some areas

So only place you look for a comparison material is youtube, even in that comparison the only thing that was actualy better in 3 was the grass texture wich varies on a open world game from location to location. FH4 upgraded everything from textures to lighting, shaders, reflections, environment, draw distance... But you didn't play it so you don't know.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Tiny amounts, there’s more improvements in that video for forz horizon 4 than 3 gras texture and a tiny change in the tail lights that’s it

Hobbygaming

So only place you look for a comparison material is youtube, even in that comparison the only thing that was actualy better in 3 was the grass texture wich varies on a open world game from location to location. FH4 upgraded everything from textures to lighting, shaders, reflections, environment, draw distance... But you didn't play it so you don't know.
My point was that they do look similar and FH3 actually does some things better like some shadows, grass, exteriors, and sorry to tell you you're wrong but I own Forza Horizon 3 and I've played 4 through my 2 months of gamepass but I didnt like it

Turk1993

My point was that they do look similar and FH3 actually does some things better like some shadows, grass, exteriors, and sorry to tell you you're wrong but I own Forza Horizon 3 and I've played 4 through my 2 months of gamepass but I didnt like it
Show me anything close to these in FH3, with your own shots please
JNg158c.png

rOmMWQh.png

I played them over 350h, i can clearly see big difference between 3 and 4. But keep derailing the thread, you got nothing else left.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Driveclub doesn’t hold up. Many muddy textures, some very poor track modeling at spots, and overall poor image quality as compared to later racers in this generation (e.g. GTS, Forza horizon and motorsport, F1). I’m really surprised people are still holding that up. Sure, photo mode shots, low res gifs, and cherry picked shots will make it look awesome. Great fodder for forum debate. But actually play it and compare to the games I mentioned, no contest IMO.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Driveclub doesn’t hold up. Many muddy textures, some very poor track modeling at spots, and overall poor image quality as compared to later racers in this generation (e.g. GTS, Forza horizon and motorsport, F1). I’m really surprised people are still holding that up. Sure, photo mode shots, low res gifs, and cherry picked shots will make it look awesome. Great fodder for forum debate. But actually play it and compare to the games I mentioned, no contest IMO.
While I agree, it's a given that it's going to be worse if compared to 2017/8/9 titles. The best comparison is Forza Horizon 2, which itself is no angel in texture quality (the road textures in Nice are rough, and some buildings dotted around the map).

Lol in any time of day

I might give you guys a few of my clips since you don't wanna watch the videos I posted for some reason ;)
No one wants to look at your garbage Youtube videos because here is the reality of what you post. Like seriously discussion closed, you've proven yourself to be completely non-objective and you're wasting everyones time.

Your BS

Oh let's post a janky low bitrate PoS video with no HUD for the game I'm fanyboying over, but for the one I'm not it has one. Similar lighting conditions? Nope, fuck all that noise. Remotely the same environments? Oh of course not, why would that be important?

p5N7Ppm.jpg

zva17lt.jpg

and then reality...

48971976906_22754d1462_o.png

48971427148_a5e6cda471_o.png

48972148902_d5f6988116_o.png

48972149287_306b3eb021_o.png

Last edited:

Three

Forza = high res, less aliasing, texture/poly budget (mostly afforded by hardware).

DC and GT = lighting, realism, and higher accuracy (afforded by the developer putting in work) .

Forza looks amazing but always looks like a pretty game to me whereas occasionally DC and GT look real.

ethomaz

Banned
Then there's the GT Sport Replays. I know, I know, "they're 30fps, yadda, yadda" but what comes close to this photorealism? certainly not Forza or Project CARS. Not even Driveclub.

aXtRXd7.gif
t8SqOqr.gif
8bgfBua.gif
22Qxfbs.gif
mmMC4Nc.gif
Trese replays are on Pro or base? In which mode? Because Pro Performance it run at 60fps.

That is how replay runs in GTS:

PS4 / Pro Graphic: 30 fps (external cam) / 60 fps (internal cam)
Pro Performance: 60 fps (internal and external cam)

The IQ is about the same as ingame in all hardware/mode except the better motion blur and DOF on Pro Graphic mode.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

No one wants to look at your garbage Youtube videos because here is the reality of what you post. Like seriously discussion closed, you've proven yourself to be completely non-objective and you're wasting everyones time.

Oh let's post a janky low bitrate PoS video with no HUD for the game I'm fanyboying over, but for the one I'm not it has one. Similar lighting conditions? Nope, fuck all that noise. Remotely the same environments? Oh of course not, why would that be important?

Chill out, man. You have a point there with your comparision shots. Turk1993 Turk1993 shots are great too. But again, those are shots from a version of the game running on different hardware. You are not comparing base PS4 with Xbox One or S. And yes, if we talk about Driveclub, it makes sense comparing base consoles, which are the vast majority of the consoles out there. We are not comparing who among the one percenters has the best hardware. Otherwise, let's put a $10.000+ PC with an array of 2080ti's and discuss "games" over that...

We already established Forza 7 looks pretty bad on base Xbox One:

And there is a pretty big difference in how Forza Horizon 4 looks on Xbox One S and X (4K60 video):

Driveclub is a bit rough with some LoDs and aliasing, but lighting and effects are still amazing. And again, it is 4 years older than Forza Horizon 4. In games development, that's a lot.
It was almost impossible to find quality footage of Driveclub, so I just recorded my own. Uploaded it at 4K60 70Mb bitrate to avoid quality loss as much as possible. There is all kinds of different conditions here, not "only dark and rainy". This is how Driveclub looks in motion, not in static shots:

If this 2014 game doesn't still look great to any of you...

Of course, some aspects of Forza Horizon 4 look better on my PC: resolution, LODs, antialiasing, ... but those are a given purely due to the more powerful platform. Driveclub's visual faults would easily be fixed on a more powerful platform, like Forzas do with the X and PC versions.

Last edited:
Is this guy for fucking real or what why are you back in this thread. Post in game shots or fuck off.

Don't get me started on Driveclub yes some 300x300 gifs look great we covered this 300 pages back.

Last resort, hanging by a thread with 300x gifs.. I was going to say please not this DC turd 💩 again after defeat was inevitable.

Such a but ugly game, bought it day 1 at launch..in motion sure It might fool you and at times looks pretty..but not the overall package .

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Chill out, man. You have a point there with your comparision shots. Turk1993 Turk1993 shots are great too. But again, those are shots from a version of the game running on different hardware. You are not comparing base PS4 with Xbox One or S. And yes, if we talk about Driveclub, it makes sense comparing base consoles, which are the vast majority of the consoles out there. We are not comparing who among the one percenters has the best hardware. Otherwise, let's put a $10.000+ PC with an array of 2080ti's and discuss "games" over that...

And there is a pretty big difference in how Forza Horizon 4 looks on Xbox One S and X (4K60 video):

Driveclub is a bit rough with some LoDs and aliasing, but lighting and effects are still amazing. And again, it is 4 years older than Forza Horizon 4. In games development, that's a lot.
It was almost impossible to find quality footage of Driveclub, so I just recorded my own. Uploaded it at 4K60 70Mb bitrate to avoid quality loss as much as possible. There is all kinds of different conditions here, not "only dark and rainy". This is how Driveclub looks in motion, not in static shots:

Of course, some aspects of Forza Horizon 4 look better on my PC: resolution, LODs, antialiasing, ... but those are a given purely due to the more powerful platform. Driveclub's visual faults would easily be fixed on a more powerful platform, like Forzas do with the X and PC versions.

Isn’t this next gen racing comparison ? Should be showing off what the pro and X do not the base models

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Driveclub can certainly still look good in certain situations like most racers.

I do struggle sometimes with Gts lighting ,as in it looks amazing, it does imo at times but it looks really cartoony and gamey at times a thing Forza gets slated for.

FukuDaruma

Isn’t this next gen racing comparison ? Should be showing off what the pro and X do not the base models

Yes, but let's be fair also. Are all consoles same gen? are the X and the Pro "next gen" but the S and the base PS4 "old gen"? what is "next gen" or "current gen" on PC?

Comparing games should be more than just comparing platform features. Just by raw power, a $3000 PC can bruteforce its way to the top in several aspects like Resolution, Shadows, AA, AF, LODS, framerates... but that isn't telling us anything about the "quality" of a game, but the power of an expensive platform with expensive hardware.

Driveclub can certainly still look good in certain situations like most racers.

I do struggle sometimes with Gts lighting ,as in it looks amazing, it does imo at times but it looks really cartoony and gamey at times a thing Forza gets slated for.

I think both Driveclub and GT Sport are more uneven, but when they are at their best they can look very very close to photorealism. I thik Forzas look great, specially Forza Horizon 4 (and maybe they are more consistent) but they don't hit that high point as usually.

Here is a clear example with Forza 7. Despite having much better features, with real reflections, better AA an all, it looks much more flat and overall less realistic than Codemaster's GRID, which isn't really a great looking game itself.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This thread still going on lol?
We still debating forza 7 isnt the best looking racer this gen?
Lol

FukuDaruma

Trese replays are on Pro or base? In which mode? Because Pro Performance it run at 60fps.

That is how replay runs in GTS:

PS4 / Pro Graphic: 30 fps (external cam) / 60 fps (internal cam)
Pro Performance: 60 fps (internal and external cam)

The IQ is about the same as ingame in all hardware/mode except the better motion blur and DOF on Pro Graphic mode.

I think they are all 30fps, no idea if Pro or base. The better quality motion blur and DoF really do wonders, and the lighting engine really shines here. Sure, they are cherry-picked and gameplay doesn't look this good, but I haven't seen any other racing game look this good in any circumstance, specially those sunny shots where most games tend to look flat and unrealistic.

I think this is a good base for what we can expect from next gen?

Top Bottom