• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Butz

Banned
The only way GTS could ever look photorealistic is if you remove everything that isn't the lighting
dVh15Fd.png

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah whe always have to do something to make those games look better, meanwhile i just snap what i see in Forza standing moving doesn't mather. Also just look at this if you wahnt video's, there is no game that can come close to this. It has everything, from 4 seasons to affroad to city to night day foggy sea beach forrest everything. It covers everything, and they are all high quality.

It looks good but it also looks more "gamey"

Gifs and screenshots aside, which look awesome for driveclub, am I the only one completely underwhelmed by the graphics when playing the game? Perhaps my expectations were too high after seeing all the stuff in this thread prior to playing. But I thought it was good, not great, when playing it. Definitely some good highlights, but some very glaring lowlights too. Primarily poor textures and image quality. Pretty much all other games mentioned in this thread look better IMO.

Hobbygaming

Gifs and screenshots aside, which look awesome for driveclub, am I the only one completely underwhelmed by the graphics when playing the game? Perhaps my expectations were too high after seeing all the stuff in this thread prior to playing. But I thought it was good, not great, when playing it. Definitely some good highlights, but some very glaring lowlights too. Primarily poor textures and image quality. Pretty much all other games mentioned in this thread look better IMO.
It's the opposite for me. I played a ton of FH3 but I didn't get into FH4 I only played it for around 2 hours before dropping it. I thought FH3 looked amazing but when I got Driveclub in 2017 it looked like the next level.

The engine in Driveclub is insane

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You are ok to compare 1.3tf vs 1.8tf console but when Forza runs on stronger hardware it suddenly becomes a problem. Also this is a thread about the best version of the game not the most inferior one. Its like me saying PGR4 is the best looking game ever because its running on a 354gflop console vs Driveclub on a 1.8tf console. It doesn't make sense, whe didn't stop sony for porting it on pro or whe didn't stop sony on releasing it on pc. They limitated them self, and they choose those effect over the other thing they sacrificed.
Funny how this is a graphics thread and when people are comparing the highest res a game can go people are complaining about it.

FukuDaruma

You are ok to compare 1.3tf vs 1.8tf console but when Forza runs on stronger hardware it suddenly becomes a problem. Also this is a thread about the best version of the game not the most inferior one. Its like me saying PGR4 is the best looking game ever because its running on a 354gflop console vs Driveclub on a 1.8tf console. It doesn't make sense, whe didn't stop sony for porting it on pro or whe didn't stop sony on releasing it on pc. They limitated them self, and they choose those effect over the other thing they sacrificed.

There is less difference from XB1 to PS4 than to a PC able to run FM7 or FH4 at 4K60 Ultra.

But it's not a problem. He asked why and that's the answer, because he said " this is a game that runs at 60FPS on the fucking base Xbox One which is already weaker than the PS4."
So yeah... but then it doesn't look like that video he posted. Nobody posts Forza XB1 base videos because they look like shit.

To me, this sums it up: "Forzas are better in some techincal aspects on better hardware, but are not better at anything without better hardware"

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
There is less difference from XB1 to PS4 than to a PC able to run FM7 or FH4 at 4K60 Ultra.

But it's not a problem. He asked why and that's the answer, because he said " this is a game that runs at 60FPS on the fucking base Xbox One which is already weaker than the PS4."
So yeah... but then it doesn't look like that video he posted. Nobody posts Forza XB1 base videos because they look like shit.

To me, this sums it up: "Forzas are better in some techincal aspects on better hardware, but are not better at anything without better hardware"

Because one is 60fps on weaker hardware and the other is open world at weaker hardware, you're tech illiterate.
And the differences between base X1 and PC are marginal, you get higher resolution and therefor less aliasing, it's otherwise a straight up port with minor changes.

Butz

Banned
Even if it doesn't look this insanely good at 4K, this looks totally realistic:

This looks amazing, but it doesn't look as realistic. It looks more videogame:

The static foliage and the tree pop-in doesn't make it look totally realistic (the overall foliage quality in FH4 is way better compared to GTS anyway) and that one GTS gif is from a replay which is at 30fps with higher quality everything.

The thing is, Forza looks better exactly because it looks like a video game, the goal should be to make things look better than real life, not imitating real life.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I see it is my time to add something. FH4 does look imho the best. The most shocking thing is that it is not closed race game but open world and it has 4 seasons. It is bad game though which is why i prefer F7 instead.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Butz

Banned
Not only that's not true, the gif is also gameplay while using looking back camera

The amount of misinformation and cherrypicking on this thread is absolutely insane
Yes it is, replay mode is 30fps.

Also wish people would stop using tiny 300p gifs in a thread where you're supposed to discuss graphics.
bUDA7UV.jpg

Last edited:
The static foliage and the tree pop-in doesn't make it look totally realistic (the overall foliage quality in FH4 is way better compared to GTS anyway) and that one GTS gif is from a replay which is at 30fps with higher quality everything.

The thing is, Forza looks better exactly because it looks like a video game, the goal should be to make things look better than real life, not imitating real life.
Just no.

8359318636434849792_0.jpg

Forza fanboy level on this thread is over 9000!

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
What??? I done heard it all now

Jg9CVdz.gif

I'll say it again, stop posting small gifs for ants in a GRAPHICS thread.
And it's telling that the only thing that ever gets posted from DC is rain stuff, because since its been pointed out fairly often now, the game looks ugly during a dry, sunny day.

FukuDaruma

Because one is 60fps on weaker hardware and the other is open world at weaker hardware, you're tech illiterate.

All being posted here is PC Ultra and some XB1X, both vastly superior hardware to PS4 or Pro, but keep on with your "literate" pretentious talking about "weaker hardware".

...the differences between base X1 and PC are marginal

FM7 in XB1S looks this "great":

In FH4 the difference is so "marginal" that even on the 6 Tflops XB1 X you have to choose between 4K30 or 1080p60, no middle ground.

The static foliage and the tree pop-in doesn't make it look totally realistic (the overall foliage quality in FH4 is way better compared to GTS anyway)

You mean this foliage pop-in on a pretty empty flat looking environment that looks almost like an upscaled 360 game?

FH4 foliage looks usually better than this, but it says a lot how you complained about GTS "pop-in" but didn't say shit about this...

and that one GTS gif is from a replay which is at 30fps with higher quality everything.

It's not, but you already proved how little you know about it.

Oh, so you acknowledge now that Driveclub and GTS look more realistic, it's just that for you Forzas look "better than real life". :messenger_neutral: Ok then.

Shiny clean saturated "better than real life" best graphics in a game ever: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

CoDQloa.png

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
2018 PC Ultra 4K 8xMSAA:

0Is1IlZ.png

2014:

4 years and several Tflops later...

And again the FH4 gif looks the best, you're again also forgetting that these games are made for base Xbox primarily and then get some small upgrades for PC.

Scotland in Forza:

rfgvCNc.jpg

Scotland in Driveclub:
mj0RtuM.png

ocaHoxT.png

But let me guess, posting a picture of the racetrack (literally the only thing you see when playing a track racer) is cherrypicking?

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

And again the FH4 gif looks the best, you're again also forgetting that these games are made for base Xbox primarily and then get some small upgrades for PC.

Scotland in Forza:

Scotland in Driveclub:

But let me guess, posting a picture of the racetrack (literally the only thing you see when playing a track racer) is cherrypicking?

It says a lot you have to cherrypick some zoomed shots of 2014 Driveclub against a "small upgraded" PC ultra photomode pic with DOF of 2018 FH4... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here are some REAL gameplay videos.

For all the bruteforced higher res, LOD, textures, etc. that FH4 has on the 4.2 Tflop higher XB1 X:

The real 2014 Driveclub gameplay still wipes the floor with it thanks to its more realistic lighting, reflections, ambient effects, ...

2014 1.8Tflops Driveclub looks realistic with shortcomings, 2018 6 Tflops FH4 looks upscaled "videogamey".

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Enough with DC, GTS and Forza... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Assetto Corsa - San Francisco - 4K60
Night to Day - Several cars
Mods + Custom PPF + Real Head Motion + Reshade

ShapeGSX

It says a lot you have to cherrypick some zoomed shots of 2014 Driveclub against a "small upgraded" PC ultra photomode pic with DOF of 2018 FH4... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here are some REAL gameplay videos.

For all the bruteforced higher res, LOD, textures, etc. that FH4 has on the 4.2 Tflop higher XB1 X:

The real 2014 Driveclub gameplay still wipes the floor with it due to its more realistic lighting, reflections, ambient effects, ...

2014 1.8Tflops Driveclub looks realistic with shortcomings, 2018 6 Tflops FH4 looks upscaled "videogamey".

Is it ever not raining in the world of Driveclub? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hobbygaming

I'll say it again, stop posting small gifs for ants in a GRAPHICS thread.
And it's telling that the only thing that ever gets posted from DC is rain stuff, because since its been pointed out fairly often now, the game looks ugly during a dry, sunny day.
This is incorrect. There's no rain here and it looks great

ShapeGSX

This is incorrect. There's no rain here and it looks great

Sunset provides more contrast with deeper shadows than mid-day. Rain does the same thing. Their rendering definitely shines in these situations. But so does Forza. It's easier to get an eye popping picture with a high contrast situation. It's the same when taking photos in real life. Bright sun everywhere can make a photo appear flat. Mid day sunny rendering in DC eliminates all contrast and just falls completely flat, though. It's a weakness of their game (and it's why you never see these shared by the Driveclub fanboys).

But in real life, this is when cars really sparkle and actually look their best. Definitely not the case in DC. Forza Horizon 4 does a monstrously better job during the day than Driveclub.

Hobbygaming

Sunset provides more contrast with deeper shadows than mid-day. Rain does the same thing. Their rendering definitely shines in these situations. But so does Forza. It's easier to get an eye popping picture with a high contrast situation. It's the same when taking photos in real life. Bright sun everywhere can make a photo appear flat. Mid day sunny rendering in DC eliminates all contrast and just falls completely flat, though. It's a weakness of their game (and it's why you never see these shared by the Driveclub fanboys).

But in real life, this is when cars really sparkle and actually look their best. Definitely not the case in DC. Forza Horizon 4 does a monstrously better job during the day than Driveclub.
This applies to all games every game looks better with overcast, sunset, etc. But Driveclub looks more realistic consistently over Forza

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
"Better than real life". PC Ultra 4K 8xMSAA

49465267967_ca75397d5f_o.png

Those trees and ground textures:
0Is1IlZ.png

FH4 doesn't look always great, even on a top PC at max settings.

AGAIN: not shitting on Forza. Cherrypicking with an agenda is EASY.
Lol bruh even in that zoomed shot Forza still looks superior,and you didn't even turn off CA. Driveclub even has less detail than that zoomed shot in gameplay with no zoom. have a look, you see why they use heavy motion blur (wich i like btw).
All gameplay my shots no photomode, no zooming, no gif, no low compressed video
49468932241_5f9ebe5d95_o.png

49469191802_d28ee02ca1_o.png

49468422413_4a72be7820_o.png

49468435118_44d361faa9_o.png

49468919956_d6ff3bfc48_o.png

49468400578_92cb951361_o.png

49468968236_98bd0a9540_o.png

Forza Horizon 4 on pc never look this bad if you put everything on ultra, even with same tod Forza has much much more details and most lighting conditions look better. And yes Driveclubs rain look better whe said it 100x times, but only in rain and in motion. The moment the rain dissapears and you stop you see its true face.
This applies to all games every game looks better with overcast, sunset, etc. But Driveclub looks more realistic consistently over Forza

Last edited:

rashbeep

Banned

Exactly this

I really like gt:s clear day lighting as well

Top Bottom